Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NoobySkooby

My only real aim...

45 comments in this topic

Players
484 posts
2,625 battles

Is to get the HMS nelson, now I already have Dunkerque, so please forgive me asking this but what is the best method of playing these ships?

By the way I have has a long break from this game, so it is a re emerging interest for me hence the dumb questions:cap_tea:

I might assume you would zig zag or approach the enemy fleet with them both being 'front gunners,' and support from the rear, please put me right if this is not the case.

Players
484 posts
2,625 battles
Just now, MRGTB said:

If you can zip-zag in a Nelson. You can do something nobody else can. Lmao! :Smile_facepalm:

Lol, well as i do not have her yet, it is something I will try out when I get her:cap_like:With the Nelson and Dunkerque having the front guns only is the style of play the same or are they two entirely different ships to work with?

Players
599 posts

I would imagine both are pretty much the same really. Both have same gun layout, both are known for having a weak broadside when showing citadel to pen. But the Nelson is slow and has shortish range guns also, which is quite the opposite of the Dunk.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I'd say Nelson and DQ has very similar playstyles. Nelson is very slow though so plan far ahead of your positioning. If you're overextended there's no way back. I really like the memes of this boat. HE spamming the reds to insanity but by all means: don't forget the AP on close BS vessels.

• Cool 1

[YEEET]
Players
1,213 posts
11,849 battles

Nelson is actually quite fragile as she seems to have her bow over-matched but a lot of ships. However she does have the print a new ship facility. Secondaries not bad either but painfully slow, so tricky to get anywhere fast and equally difficult to leg it! I don't play BBs very often but Nelson is probably my go to one if I do. I don't play them very often as it is the class which should really dominate and carry the team and is the easiest to play badly and put the team in trouble. Losing a cruiser is bad but a BB can be disastrous.

Players
599 posts

I would think hard on it before getting the Nelson. I can imagine the Dunk is a bit like the Hood - Fast and fun to play, and with decent gun range. While both ships have the same gun layout style, that is where it ends really, and if you don't like playing a slow BB with a firing range that pretty much forces you to go closer in risking being spotted with little chance of escape if out of position. Then you might end up not liking the Nelson.

So I would question more if you're going to like playing a slow BB.

Players
484 posts
2,625 battles

Ok guys well thank you for the advice, that sort of swung me around at the anchor rather sharply there, maybe I will just grind up the tech tree, BB wise which is the best line to go up, I was thinking about the American ones..

Players
1,489 posts
10,958 battles

They are actually fairly different. The one thing they have in common is they need to avoid getting snuck up on from behind, and kiting doesn't always work too well, for obvious reasons.

However.

Nelson has nine big and accurate 16-inch guns that would be equally at home two tiers higher and could even hack it in a Tier X match in a pinch. It also has an obscenely overpowered heal, so trying to burn her down is usually futile. It can be done but it takes skill and a really long time and/or a really good ambush position. Better to sneak up and torp her. Or else AP her because the armour is fairly squishy; you can easily citadel her from the front even with a New York etc, which is two tiers lower. The angle hardly seems to matter. So what you want to do is position carefully, tank only in the right places/constellations, avoid really close brawls, and blap all manner of unsuspecting victims. Even DDs. You can get really close dispersion sometimes that just annihilates them, even with the nerfed AP, but especially with the HE. You also want to put a Dunkirk brother as captain on her. The turrets turn fairly quikly as it is and with his extra high powered Expert Marksman skill, you can really switch sides in no time at all.

Dunkerque is a bit more of a "Lidl premium". She does have her strengths but you need to like her. She is fast and squishy because she is a battlecruiser, not a true battleship. She also has smaller guns with super high shell speed. So flat trajectories, which makes aiming easier, but you get a lot of AP overpens. Gameplay is a bit scharnhorsty but without the tankiness and the torps and with not quite as beastly secondaries. You need to zip around the map and find yourself a lurrve puppet, meaning to say a cruiser to ambush. If you pull it off, you can make them look very stupid at times. However, it's also often the Dunk that looks stupid.

Now that I read it back, it does in fact sound quite similar. It doesn't really feel very similar though. Nelson is basically Dunkirk on steroids, but in slow motion, and with a second and third chance built in if you make mistakes.

• Cool 1

Players
599 posts
15 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Ok guys well thank you for the advice, that sort of swung me around at the anchor rather sharply there, maybe I will just grind up the tech tree, BB wise which is the best line to go up, I was thinking about the American ones..

Depends on your preferred playing style. What do you actually like best "or want" from a BB the most?

Others could then advise you much better on which tech tree to go with.

Players
4,576 posts
5,698 battles
28 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

Nelson is actually quite fragile as she seems to have her bow over-matched but a lot of ships. However she does have the print a new ship facility. Secondaries not bad either but painfully slow, so tricky to get anywhere fast and equally difficult to leg it! I don't play BBs very often but Nelson is probably my go to one if I do. I don't play them very often as it is the class which should really dominate and carry the team and is the easiest to play badly and put the team in trouble. Losing a cruiser is bad but a BB can be disastrous.

Nelson gets her extremities overmatched like any T7 BB. Even Gneisenau and Scharnhorst can get overmatched at the bow, but at least they have some reinforced lower bow (70 mm). What's noteworthy with Nelson is that it has an above-water citadel and when the bow gets overmatched, shells easily pen that citadel. The bow also is massive, so it's not even hard to bowcit a Nelson. Like Dunkerque, Nelson thus has to watch out, as it cannot just bow tank all BBs and has to bait shots on the angled belt.

And though I got a CQE today in Nelson, the secondaries are an afterthought on that thing. Maybe the other Brits have worse, but else, even Colorado has more useful secondaries.

28 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

I would think hard on it before getting the Nelson. I can imagine the Dunk is a bit like the Hood - Fast and fun to play, and with decent gun range. While both ships have the same gun layout style, that is where it ends really, and if you don't like playing a slow BB with a firing range that pretty much forces you to go closer in risking being spotted with little chance of escape if out of position. Then you might end up not liking the Nelson.

So I would question more if you're going to like playing a slow BB.

Hood is a floading brick that only gets overmatched in superstructure and the very ends of the ship, if you angle it properly. It also has overmatch guns but with low pen. Dunkerque is a ship that is the squishiest at T6, gets crapped on by T8 BBs mercilessly and its guns don't overmatch even same tier BB, but when they don't bounce off, they have the second best pen of T6 (after West Virginia, which took the top spot this year). Nelson is likely much more like Dunk than the Hood. Has to look out for same overmatch ships, crap armour scheme, eats IFHE damage all the time. Nelson just is slower, has bigger guns and a lolheal.

11 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nelson has nine big and accurate 16-inch guns that would be equally at home two tiers higher and could even hack it in a Tier X match in a pinch.

Nelson at T9 would only work if it got its extremities adjusted to the 32 mm plating and then it'd be like the crossbreed of a Lion and the old Izumo. But I take a Gneisenau into a T9 battle before I take a Nelson, given how easily Nelson can die, especially against Musashi that just ignores Nelson's armour altogether.

16 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Or else AP her because the armour is fairly squishy; you can easily citadel her from the front even with a New York etc, which is two tiers lower. The angle hardly seems to matter.

Yes, angle does matter, because a New York cannot overmatch 25 mm bow plating, so bow-in, you basically can tank NY AP for ages. With the right MM, Nelson is one of the best ships to just get insane potential damage numbers and easy dreadnought and fireproof.

18 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Now that I read it back, it does in fact sound quite similar. It doesn't really feel very similar though. Nelson is basically Dunkirk on steroids, but in slow motion, and with a second and third chance built in if you make mistakes.

Depends on the mistake. Eat torps and you won't repair that. Same with cits. Get burned and you hardly have to care.

Players
484 posts
2,625 battles
15 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Depends on your preferred playing style. What do you actually like best "or want" from a BB the most?

Others could then advise you much better on which tech tree to go with.

Lol so many good responses here now I have no idea what I want, something to bravely boldly head off into battle impervious to all things in it's way.

I am guessing there is no ship like that, lol but all of this is quite useful knowledge, so thanks again.

Players
4,576 posts
5,698 battles
1 minute ago, NoobySkooby said:

Lol so many good responses here now I have no idea what I want, something to bravely boldly head off into battle impervious to all things in it's way.

I am guessing there is no ship like that, lol but all of this is quite useful knowledge, so thanks again.

German BBs. If you know how to handle damage control, nothing is as resilient as them, except maybe a properly angled Yamato.

Players
599 posts
13 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Well actually it sounds like the Jap tech tree would suit you best then. They have the strongest ship in the Yamato

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles
1 hour ago, MRGTB said:

If you can zip-zag in a Nelson. You can do something nobody else can. Lmao! :Smile_facepalm:

271.gif

Ever heard of A and D keys? (alternatively Q and E keys?) Or maybe a keyboard in general?

1 hour ago, MRGTB said:

Nelson is slow and has shortish range guns also, which is quite the opposite of the Dunk. 

Is it slow? No. Is it slower? Yes.

Also both have the same 18.2km range which is far from being short at t6/7 :cap_tea:

1 hour ago, triumphgt6 said:

Nelson is actually quite fragile as she seems to have her bow over-matched but a lot of ships.

You mean by every BB with 358mm or larger guns? That's only half of t6, nearly all t7 and all t8+ BBs.

But that's the same for every t6 & 7 BB, all of them have a 25mm bow / general plating. Nelson actually gets quite a lot of 32mm sections which other BBs get only starting with t8

Players
1,051 posts
7,956 battles

They're actually quite different ships. The similarity is at the gun layout, but it ends there.

Dunkerque is MUCH faster, I feel like by just doing that bow-tanking thing people are sometimes missing opportunities to take their ship where it really hurts the enemy. Dunkerque can also have a very good AA for her tier -- a division buddy of mine runs his with a manual AA french captain, which gives her a very strong long-range aura, because the AA while surficially unimpressive, is concentrated in high-caliber mounts. Nelson AA is irredeemable. 

Nelson feels like she tanks better. She's an extremely relaxing ship to play. Take her to a halfway decent place, and stoically hold that position (but push when needed). Husband that crazy repair party of yours. Remember to use your AP on good targets -- it's also extremely strong.

I'd kind of characterize them as the battleship and battlecruiser variations of the same idea.

Players
599 posts
23 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Also both have the same 18.2km range which is far from being short at t6/7

Hmm, dunno why but I thought the Dunk had 21k range. The French BB's usually have a good fire range sold as premiums, but yeah, seems looking it's the same as the Nelson then.

And yep, you go zig-zag at 24 knots and see how effective it is at making shots miss you. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
484 posts
2,625 battles

I did get the Kii in a lootbox, only had one game in it and yes my own fualt I never lasted but just something about that ship, felt slow.

Players
802 posts
8,466 battles
31 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Well, back in the day, when Free XP was very hard do grind, I would have adviced against getting the Nelson.

But now, I would say it is not a bad idea. Nelson is decent in randoms, even though I did not really like it, it is mostly made out of citatel. But it is great ship for tier.VII operations. And in both modes it is a good credit maker.

Now, I would recomend you do search how do maximise Free XP gain. (I personally use "good" signals and Premium account obtained free in PTS missions (in current PTS, 8.sets of special signals can be obtained), I activate them when good operation like Cherry Blossom is on). If you know how do maximise Free XP gain by using camos and signals WG gives you for free most effectively. Than 375k of Free XP is easy to get (If you can stack everything right and play operation you usually win, it can be obtained in 10-20 battles). 

And then Nelson is worth it. I would not pay real money for it.

Players
1,489 posts
10,958 battles
Vor 25 Minuten, Riselotte sagte:

Nelson at T9 would only work

Nelson does work in Tier 9 battles all the time because of the +- 2 tiers matchmaking. No need for any subjunctive here. That said, I specifically wrote "Nelson's guns would be at home..." if you don't mind reading carefully.

Zitat

Yes, angle does matter, because a New York cannot overmatch 25 mm bow plating, so bow-in, you basically can tank NY AP for ages.

Sure, sure. Tell that to all the Nelsons I've citadelled with NY and Texas and see if they laugh :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,962 posts
14,653 battles

If you get either of these ships do yourself a favour and take it into CoOp battles first and go deliberately after your bot counterpart...

Them bots usually are oblivious to a thread coming from the broadside, so make sure to have your guns loaded with AP and give them a good spanking.

Look in awe as - when done from ~10km or so - your target evaporates in a cloud of smoke and fire...

Then try to remember that sight for when you play random battles... you don't want to be that cloud of smoke and fire!

• Cool 2

Players
4,576 posts
5,698 battles
13 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Well ctually it sounds like the Jap tech tree would suit you best then. They have the strongest ship in the Yamato

The tankiness of IJN designs is at all points debatable. It's a good line, but I'd not sell them based on tankiness and I'd not sell Yamato as the strongest ship.

12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

But that's the same for every t6 & 7 BB, all of them have a 25mm bow / general plating. Nelson actually gets quite a lot of 32mm sections which other BBs get only starting with t8

Germans get 30 mm deck armour already at T4 and by T7 it's mostly 50 mm, with 45 mm on the sides, 70 mm lower bow, 90 mm around the stern and only 25 mm at upper bow and the rest of the stern. Sure it isn't 32 mm exactly, but it sure is better. Lyon also has 30 mm deck plating and 180 mm at the sides, so 2 out of 4 lines get comparable if not better plating earlier.

12 minutes ago, jss78 said:

Nelson feels like it tanks better. It's an extremely relaxing ship to play. Take it to a halfway decent place, and stoically hold that position (but push when needed). Husband that crazy repair party of yours. Remember to use your AP on good targets -- it's also extremely strong.

Nelson tanks HE spam better. That's it. Shoot overmatching AP at it and the results are brutal. I saw Dunk eat 17k from my Kii volleys, because it gets overmatched everywhere, but I also know what happens when you bowcitadel a Nelson for similar amounts or when a Musashi shoots at it and takes out over half of the hp pool in one salvo.

8 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Hmm, dunno why but I thought the Dunk had 21k range. The French BB's usually have a good fire range sold as premiums, but yeah, seems looking it's the same as the Nelson then.

And yep, you go zig-zap at 24 knots and see how effective it is at making shots miss you. :Smile_facepalm:

Dunk has a spotter plane. Nelson has not.

6 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nelson does work in Tier 9 battles all the time because of the +- 2 tiers matchmaking. No need for any subjunctive here. That said, I specifically wrote "Nelson's guns would be at home..." if you don't mind reading carefully.

Nelson's guns are as much at home at T9 as Mutsus would be at home at T8. They work because they are at tiers where the pen is sufficient, but overall their pen is pretty lackluster for their caliber and spamming HE all game is the suckers way of playing Nelson.

8 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Sure, sure. Tell that to all the Nelsons I've citadelled with NY and Texas and see if they laugh :Smile_trollface:

Properly angled it doesn't happen.

Players
599 posts
16 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Nelson's guns are as much at home at T9 as Mutsus would be at home at T8. They work because they are at tiers where the pen is sufficient, but overall their pen is pretty lackluster for their caliber and spamming HE all game is the suckers way of playing Nelson.

Well, I don't agree with that. 46% fire chance with the Nelson HE guns and you say only suckers will use HE on the Nelson. Nobody seems to like British ships shooting HE at them, but that's only because they know the Brit ships "main perk" with their lackluster AP pen, is to shoot HE instead with a good fire chance - unless at close range - then use AP.

You can't be serious that Brit BB's should mainly shoot AP rounds all the time. It's well known that the British BB's don't have that good a AP rounds, especially when shooting at distance with AP. Not compared to something like the USA ships with good AP rounds.

Sign in to follow this