You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
P2Win

Intentional beaching and border humping

27 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,065 battles

Why isn’t there a game mechanic that punish these behavior? 

You beach = you receive flooding damage for the duration of the beaching

border humping = % of ship hp damage for duration of humping + you can’t shoot your guns or torps

This shouldn’t be hard to implement, these silliness get abused in every match.

• Boring 1

[TTT]
Players
4,214 posts
7,925 battles

...if you can't hit a beached target, then you have a serious problem... I really dont see why that'd need further punishment...

bordersurfing is a different matter, that's still annoying as all hell

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
16,376 posts
11,328 battles

What is the problem with beaching?

The target is a sitting duck.

And border humping means a target is out of position. And they are much easier to hit now, basicly sitting ducks.

• Cool 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Because beaching is a valid tactic if done correctly?

The silliness you display in most your posts...

• Cool 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,109 battles

Border surfing should do damage over time. I have abused the system too when occasionally needed. 

When I see people do that I leave them just there and ignore them for the most part. 

[KENS]
[KENS]
Players
51 posts
9,245 battles

As others have said beaching is a valid tactic, never heard of tactical beaching? It’s what I do every time I hit a beach, not A misplay a tactical decision to avoid the torps (and you can’t prove otherwise :Smile_hiding:

border humping on the other hand is an entirely different matter, someone who knows how to surfe the border is immensely hard to hit, I’ve said multiple times I wish a ships guns wouldn’t fire while they are surfing the border 

Players
179 posts
2,673 battles

Beaching is a legitimate tactic to prevent yourself emerging from behind an island into the enemy's guns. It also has a flip side in that you are immobilized for a few moments and are a sitting duck to anyone who sees you. It's a tactic - not a "punishable behaviour".  I do agree that maybe some HP loss could be implemented for groundings, however - maybe dependent on what speed you are doing when it happens.

As for border surfing, I can't decide, so I'll sit on the fence ( arf! ).

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,724 posts
14,669 battles

Dunno why borderhumping is looked down upon? The target intentionally makes itself easier to hit, most people just don't seem to know how to aim at a borderhumping ship for some reason.

Personally I have no issues with hitting ships sliding along the border. The only class with which borderhumping gets annoying is CVs thanks to stronk UI, though I highly doubt some of the people here have suddenly developed sympathy for the issues of CVs.

[NWP]
Players
4,634 posts
6,364 battles
36 minutes ago, P2Win said:

ever got into those nice "bays" where you simply cant get out because WG does a crap job with islands?

Reversing / accelerating all the time to get out? What then? First hit = flood *use DCP*. Oh cant get off *permaflood*

Yep, this will be fun :cap_like:

For borderhumping i agree.

You should get a DoT if you do it more than 10 secs per game. Again it should not be punished instantly, as it simply can happen by accident

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,065 battles
23 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Because beaching is a valid tactic if done correctly?

The silliness you display in most your posts...

See wall of torps coming through channel...full speed ahead...hard left into island...0 damages taken. Seems very beneficial to me. And let’s not talk about people ramming into island to avoid salvos while showing full broadside to go undetected, oh wait this doesn’t happen.

The while point is crashing into an island should be punishable, unless islands are made of cotton.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,109 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Dunno why borderhumping is looked down upon? The target intentionally makes itself easier to hit, most people just don't seem to know how to aim at a borderhumping ship for some reason.

Really? I was always told that the dispersion of incoming shells would increase. And thus people "abuse"  it. 
 MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE! 

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,109 battles
3 minutes ago, P2Win said:

See wall of torps coming through channel...full speed ahead...hard left into island...0 damages taken. Seems very beneficial to me. And let’s not talk about people ramming into island to avoid salvos while showing full broadside to go undetected, oh wait this doesn’t happen.

The while point is crashing into an island should be punishable, unless islands are made of cotton.

So dodging torps by using WASD hacks is totally fine then? 

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,065 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Personally I have no issues with hitting ships sliding along the border. The only class with which borderhumping gets annoying is CVs thanks to stronk UI, though I highly doubt some of the people here have suddenly developed sympathy for the issues of CVs.

Haha. How many times have I abused this to avoid torps, salvos, cv strike and who knows what else. I better play nice before I get a forum ban.

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,065 battles
3 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

So dodging torps by using WASD hacks is totally fine then? 

Why dodge when you can just ram an island?

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,109 battles
1 minute ago, P2Win said:

Why dodge when you can just ram an island?

Depends highly on the situation

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

While I've gotten substantially better at it, sometimes I miss cause the speed makes no sense (i.e. target is still going quite fast, even though he should be going slow cause border mechanism) - especially since the smoke stack doesn't indicate speed anymore.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles

I get the complaint about the border humping, but beaching? There's a punishment for beaching and it's called stopping dead in your tracks and having to reverse out.

Players
135 posts
4,047 battles
2 hours ago, P2Win said:

these silliness get abused in every match.

If border humping is such a silly strategy that can be abused for an advantage every match why don't you do it yourself?

I'm not going to comment on the intentional beaching thing because it's obvious that hitting islands is an integral part of the game that doesn't need any tweaks.

[HUN]
Players
235 posts
2,310 battles
2 hours ago, HNRDecado said:

border humping on the other hand is an entirely different matter, someone who knows how to surfe the border is immensely hard to hit, I’ve said multiple times I wish a ships guns wouldn’t fire while they are surfing the border 

But somehow the team which has the most ships border humping, almost always loses.

[EDOM]
Players
150 posts
2,322 battles

What about tactical beaching in certain situations?

I do it occasionally, such as to get torpedoes away in close-quarters combat, to slow down sufficiently to dodge torpedoes or to prevent myself from being spotted.

Why should this be punished?

• Cool 1

[KENS]
[KENS]
Players
51 posts
9,245 battles
3 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

But somehow the team which has the most ships border humping, almost always loses.

Thats border hugging, where your entire team sits at the border, this is more one or two ships kiting away using the border to avoid most incoming fire, you can’t leave them on your flank or them will just burn you down and they are stupidly hard to hit compared to normal if they know what they are doing and how to use it, and they can still hit your just fine, personally I find it a dirty tactic 

[FL4-0]
Players
1,444 posts
7,328 battles

I agree that the border is still exploitable, it should be like an island. If you touch it, you hit a wall.

Discard any kind of damage, WG tries to avoid any form of suicide in the game and they are right. That would cause many problems.

Players
2,818 posts
16,233 battles
3 hours ago, P2Win said:

borderhumping should give dmg after ~15s of contact

you really think that would be a good idea as long you can get hooked on reefs and stuff ???

border humping = % of ship hp damage for duration of humping + you can’t shoot your guns or torps

agreed but not instant sometimes you cant avoid it  you should have the posibility to just turn out.