You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
davidsturm6597

Prt. 3: Solution to WoWs Game Play: Unicums and The Pareto Principle.

77 comments in this topic

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles

I’m going to get a little deep here for some; I’m going to mention the Pareto principle. [Look it up; here’s a Y.T link that explains it – in the most useful terms: https://youtu.be/PXqp1Rwg25I]

Ok – here goes: if we plot a skill-level distribution curve for all of War Gaming’s players – it will follow a classic Pareto curve. That means from say 100 players, 20 will be exceptional [Unicums] and between 10 to 5 will be Super Unicums. This is a hard-wired fact of reality. The Pareto principle is like gravity; you can’t escape it. Where there are groups of people working hard to accomplish something – the Pareto principle applies. So, no matter how vividly you dream of being a Unicum – because you saw an amazing game by LemmingRush or Flamu, chances are, you will not be among the 20 to 10 % who are the best players in both WoT or WoWs. You could stat-pad by seal-clubbing all year at the lower tiers, but you are just fooling yourself; as Q.B says – “it’s like stuffing socks down your pants.” 

The majority of players on both WoT and WoWs are average; their win-ratios will hover around the 50% mark. This can’t be fixed by gimmicks or even - by overpowered premium tanks. The idea that we as a lone individual are expected to carry games – is like saying a small number of soldiers can be sent to Iraq and will win the day; even elite-forces – need less capable soldiers to help them win. So - in WoWs we should disabuse new players or even some longer term ones – from the delusion that they can carry games and that they are Unicums in their skill set. The majority of us are plain average and that means a 50/50 chance of winning or losing; that is an unacceptable figure for paying pundits to live with.

If you prove to me, there is a 50/50 chance that what I buy on Amazon will break as soon as I turn it on, I will never buy from Amazon again. That’s just plain obvious. But if you say to players playing on WoT or WoWs – “your chances of winning are 50/50” – they don’t think there’s a problem with that figure; if anything – the randomness or chaotic nature of it – turns some of them on! It’s a bit like a gambling-rush; some people think they are getting ahead by winning once-in-while when their losses are piling up – much to their detriment.

How can the 50/50 chance of winning for the average player be improved? Unicums – have the skillset and can maintain their winning ratios over time, but the average player – just plain sucks. It is not obvious? Team-play is the answer. If average players stick together – they become greater than the sum of their members; collectively – they become a Unicum.

Of course we have Clans and we can form platoons and divisions; but I want the game to remove the option be a lone player which is what the current setup allows. Placing emphasis on fleet formations and less on melee game-play [which does get the job done – in a clumsy haphazard sort of way] should improve the overall winning ratios for the average player; pushing it above 50/50.

Why is it important to improve the average winning ratios for the average player? Because it makes for a more enjoyable time playing for everyone; more wins – means more players playing. And because they form the main cash-pool for War Gaming – it means more revenue for the company. Everyone is happy.

QuickyBaby did a vid asking “Is World of Tanks Dying?” The answer is of course – yes. Not because it’s a bad game as such or because W.G doesn’t do things right. It’s because people are just plain bored with their winning ratios. Players get sick of not winning enough – and the novelty of the tanks eventually wears off. The “new nations” lines and “new” premium tanks are just not that exciting when you realise – they won’t improve your winning chances one bit. The same can be said about World of Warships; it too will eventually suffer the same apathy – now manifesting in World of Tanks.

So to save World of Warships from dying like World of Tanks – W.G will need to improve team-gaming and enforce or reward collective efforts in matches. The Pareto principle is a fact of life; most of us suck at what we do. We only improve our lot in life by working with other people.

pareto-law.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

Any "enforced" teamwork system will fail.

We have horses and we have water, in the end matching the two is a individual choice.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
8 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

Any "enforced" teamwork system will fail.

We have horses and we have water, in the end matching the two is a individual choice.

Cultures can be changed; if the incentive is there - players will grudgingly go along with it. The question would be - what incentive would break the reluctance to work as a teams? 

(I mean - I'm just as guilty of not wanting to know anyone I'm playing along side. It's like being on the subway - you don't chat to people sitting next to you. But for the sake of getting what you want - most people will chat - if the prize is right) 

• Boring 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
2 minutes ago, davidsturm6597 said:

Cultures can be changed; if the incentive is there - players will grudgingly go along with it. The question would be - what incentive would break the reluctance to work as a teams? 

(I mean - I'm just as guilty of not wanting to know anyone I'm playing along side. It's like being on the subway - you don't chat to people sitting next to you. But for the sake of getting what you want - most people will chat - if the prize is right) 

Erm, you were arguing in your other spam thread that battleships were there to slug it out with one another, and that is how the game should be played.

Then you decided to post again, with the same substance, because you are special.

Now you post 2 more asinine threads, with basically the same mandated gameplay, are you on meds and you forgot to take them?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

WoT has been going on for years and proves the point.

I think WoWS could use a proper, campaign based clan-wars mode but the majority of players just play this game to relax and have fun. Your formation crap will fail as soon as an enemy DD division does a torp run along your nice BB formation.

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
3 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Erm, you were arguing in your other spam thread that battleships were there to slug it out with one another, and that is how the game should be played.

Then you decided to post again, with the same substance, because you are special.

Now you post 2 more asinine threads, with basically the same mandated gameplay, are you on meds and you forgot to take them?

Uh please - when you post something as original - then tell me. You've no clue about life. 

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles

Have you ever considered that unicums are unicums precisely because they teamplay?

Have you ever considered that average players fail at this game precisely because they do not?

Nah, that'd go against your narrative, doesn't it?

Good players carry because they do things that benefit the team. Failures like yourself do not and believe they have to play as egoistically as possible to succeed.

As for QuickyBaby, I have no idea who he is, but to say that a game that is currently about as popular as PuBG, one of the most popular games on the market today, is dying is hilarious at best. I wouldn't trust jack:etc_swear: that person says when he blatantly spouts bull:etc_swear: like this.

• Cool 6

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
Just now, davidsturm6597 said:

Uh please - when you post something as original - then tell me. You've no clue about life. 

Erm, so you have no counter and hence lose?

You are the clueless one, telling anyone nearly double your age that they have no clue :Smile_trollface:

Try not using your birthyear for nickname, will help you have a stronger image...

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

Basicly the OP likes to play a certain way and that playstyle is being punished. I can relate to that, I am a BB brawler in a meta that rewards BB camping.

But OP wants WG to enforce his playstyle under various manufactured excuses running from faux-historical to improving noob's win rates.

Basicly bollocks

• Cool 1

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Have you ever considered that unicums are unicums precisely because they teamplay?

Have you ever considered that average players fail at this game precisely because they do not?

Nah, that'd go against your narrative, doesn't it?

Good players carry because they do things that benefit the team. Failures like yourself do not and believe they have to play as egoistically as possible to succeed.

As for QuickyBaby, I have no idea who he is, but to say that a game that is currently about as popular as PuBG, one of the most popular games on the market today, is dying is hilarious at best. I wouldn't trust jack:etc_swear: that person says when he blatantly spouts bull:etc_swear: like this.

Hmm point taken; perhaps Unicum manage their games better; but I disagree that they team play - because there is no team play - as we already accept as fact. It's everyone for themselves.

Most of us are failures; you're no exception;  or are you a delusional sort who thinks you're just too good to fail. Next time you have a hearth breaker - or get sunk first blood - think about how high your ego is.  

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
5 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Erm, so you have no counter and hence lose?

You are the clueless one, telling anyone nearly double your age that they have no clue :Smile_trollface:

Try not using your birthyear for nickname, will help you have a stronger image...

Counter for insult - is insult. You're not a thinking person. You lose when you initialise insults.

• Boring 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,598 posts
9,523 battles

so basically you as a 'below average' player (from wows stats) thinks the only way you can get better is by making WG "enforce or reward collective efforts in matches" they do already it's called winning...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles
5 minutes ago, davidsturm6597 said:

because there is no team play

So when I smoke up a teammate under fire, that isn't teamplay?

When I spot a DD for my team, that isn't teamplay?

When I surgically strike that charging BB giving my team trouble, that isn't teamplay?

When I eliminate that radar cruiser so my teammates can contest the objective, that isn't teamplay?

You are just getting more and more hilarious.

As for being a failure, well I guess in some eyes winning almost 70% matches of all games I play solo can be seen as a failure, but at least it's a lot better than your pathetic self.

• Cool 4

[DAVY]
Players
1,598 posts
9,523 battles
4 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

Basicly the OP likes to play a certain way and that playstyle is being punished. I can relate to that, I am a BB brawler in a meta that rewards BB camping.

But OP wants WG to enforce his playstyle under various manufactured excuses running from faux-historical to improving noob's win rates.

Basicly bollocks

and he's so good at that play style... :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
7 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

Basicly bollocks

No it's not bollocks; there are more noobs than "expert players like you" - they are the cash cows fro W.G that you make fun of. They keep the game going - cus they are stupid enough to pay for Premium ships and time. Have more respect for the majority and don't be an elitist [edited]. 

Oh it's you again; guy who thought Crossing the T was only used in the sailing era; that pal is enough to label you uneducated. Kindly quit attacking this post - cus it could teach you about life. 

• Funny 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

No it's not bollocks; there are more noobs than "expert players like you" - they are the cash cows fro W.G that you make fun of. They keep the game going - cus they are stupid enough to pay for Premium ships and time. Have more respect for the majority and don't be an elitist [edited]. 

Look mate, you've done a good half-dozen of these posts and NOBODY has supported your ideas. Get the hint, seriously.

• Cool 2

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
724 posts
4,096 battles

@davidsturm6597 Find yourself a clan, division up with friends. 

That is the best and most you can do if you want to increase the teamplay. 

Players
106 posts
4,085 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

So when I smoke up a teammate under fire, that isn't teamplay?

When I spot a DD for my team, that isn't teamplay?

When I surgically strike that charging BB giving my team trouble, that isn't teamplay?

When I eliminate that radar cruiser so my teammates can contest the objective, that isn't teamplay?

You are just getting more and more hilarious.

As for being a failure, well I guess in some eyes winning almost 70% matches of all games I play solo can be seen as a failure, but at least it's a lot better than your pathetic self.

No - that's managing the resources at hand. Unicums manage what gives them an advantage. Team play entails communication and planing; that's obvious. Using others as props for your benefit - is management. Get your thoughts together.  

• Boring 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles

No - that's managing the resources at hand. Unicums manage what gives them an advantage. Team play entails communication and planing; that's obvious. Using others as props for your benefit - is management. Get your thoughts together.  

Ok, admit it, this is just your troll account right?

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,723 posts
14,669 battles
Just now, davidsturm6597 said:

Team play entails communication and planing

Aha, so when I move to cover someone in a shooter that is "just managing resources" but when I verbally tell him that I'm covering him while doing so that's "teamplay".

Such levels of stupidity haven't been seen here in a while.

Hint: Most teamplay doesn't require communication and planning. Just common sense.

• Cool 5

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,671 battles
19 minutes ago, davidsturm6597 said:

Oh it's you again; guy who thought Crossing the T was only used in the sailing era; that pal is enough to label you uneducated. Kindly quit attacking this post - cus it could teach you about life. 

You seriously just called me an elitist? Oh boy, that one is comedy gold considering my posting history on the topic of elitism.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,144 posts
11,248 battles
30 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

25 minutes ago, davidsturm6597 said:

No it's not bollocks; there are more noobs than "expert players like you" 

I just choked on my coffee reading that.

Seriously dude, if you think there is no team play in this game then you are so desperately mistaken that it is almost funny.

As @El2aZeR has already told you (most of) the better players engage in team play as a matter of course. There may be notable exceptions - Flamu, for example, doesn't seem to have a team play bone in his body - but, for the most part, the players with better results are the ones who engage in team play without even thinking about it. Team play is what wins games and so we just do it as a matter of course.

You need to look to yourself, mate, in order to improve your performance. No amount of attempted enforcement of any kind is going to improve your stats - only YOU can do that. This game really isn't that difficult.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
16,359 posts
11,328 battles

Are you for real? It is impossible to improve average winrate of the playerbase in Random.

For everyone that wins, somebody else must lose - or you play vs bots.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I wouldn't worry about WoT "dying", it still fields easily more than three times the number of players here at peak times...

[TTT]
Players
4,213 posts
7,925 battles

did KarmaQ DramaQueen make a new account? Because these wildly wordy and wildly nonsensical threads really remind me of him/her/them...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1