You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Death_dk

HE and AP shell

8 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
539 battles

what shell do i need to use on a Battleship of usa  8 ship what is best to use in a players vs players  im used to AP maybe HE is better set them on fire hope i can get some help in here

[CATS]
Players
16,381 posts
11,331 battles

Depends on distance, target and angling.

The North Carolina should be fine using AP most of the time. Against some angled targets and most DD it is better to use HE.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,472 posts
7,865 battles
15 minutes ago, 666Priest said:

what shell do i need to use on a Battleship of usa  8 ship what is best to use in a players vs players  im used to AP maybe HE is better set them on fire hope i can get some help in here

if you want to learn this game better, you shouldn't be using any shells in tier 8. It's more beneficial for you to play other classes also in lower tiers, so that you know how the shells effect on those other ships.

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
35 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

if you want to learn this game better, you shouldn't be using any shells in tier 8. It's more beneficial for you to play other classes also in lower tiers, so that you know how the shells effect on those other ships.

This.

@666Priest go back to ships of T3 and play them, untill you have the stats atleast in dark green. Then take T4 and do the same, T5, T6...

You can see your stats here: https://wows-numbers.com/de/player/528517617,666Priest/?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
693 posts
10,606 battles

What was wrong with @ColonelPete's answer to be down voted? Maybe I could learn something.

Seems like a perfectly valid question asked politely that didn't need an answer from the stats police.

• Cool 1

[HOUSE]
Players
266 posts
5,027 battles

In the T8 USN battleships or any USN ship equiped with the 406 mm guns I would recommend using AP exclusively, unless you are hunting the last lonely destroyer of the enemy team. 

With that calibre and the heavy shells you can penetrate all ships from any angle, except battleships of T8+. So if these enemies shoes broadside, aim for waterline and if they angle aim a little higher and score penetrations on the superstructure.

• Cool 1

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
130 posts
5,707 battles

Looking at the numbers I see you survive only 39% of battles and your damage isn't super high.   This suggests to me you tend to die early on.

1) Do not charge forward towards ships armed with torpedos.  If you are detected and see no-one that usually means a DD is nearby.  Expect incoming torps and do not sail in a straight line at a constant speed.

2) If you do charge in, do not do it unsupported, and be ready to dodge torps

3) Avoid at all costs sitting side on to any enemy battleship.  Bow directly on is not great either a lot of the time, but anything is better than full broadside.  A slight angle off your bow can bounce their shells and is ideal.  Often this means not using your rear turrets - this is far better than exploding because you ate 4 citadels.

4) If you expect to fire next at an enemy destroyer use HE always.  But never reload when you could fire immediately then reload, any damage is better than none.

5) If your target is a battleship it depends - if it is pointing towards you use HE to set it on fire.  If it is side on (see (3) use AP.  The same goes for cruisers with heavy armor.  Start with AP and see - if your shells ricochet then switch.

6) Ramming is fine if you're low health and the enemy is not.  You're dying anyway and repair costs are the same whether you live or die.

7) It's fine to practice in a training room with enemy ships that don't fire back, or even don't move as well.

8) Co-op will also help you understand which shells work when, as bots tend to charge straight at you.