You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
No_color_DK

Aiming system problems..

23 comments in this topic

[DDU]
Players
23 posts
3,196 battles

What is going on with your aiming system, if there are two ships close to each other, but one ship is 2 to 3 km behind the other ship, and i aim at the rear ship, but the target system has chosen the other ship, then my shots land between the two ships, as if your system is trying to correct my shot, I have tested this in a training room, and it does the same, I then set the back ship as my target, it switches back to the first ship, if it is just a little before the other ship, can you  not do it so that we get a key that locks the target we choose?, so no matter if there is another ship is close, what we choose is locked, until we release it again with another key ... little like when we choose the mouse with our Secondary goal, even though this ship one among many ships, still locks to that target..

Happy new year, out there in the big world :cap_old:...

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,462 posts
6,638 battles

Yes...there is a key for that

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

X

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8

[DDU]
Players
23 posts
3,196 battles
23 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Yes...there is a key for that

Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

X

I know, but if I correct my aim just a little bit, it jumps back to the nearest ship .. and are two ships on the same line, compared to where I aim, then it is often that I use x, just remove my aim without choosing another target..

[W-C]
2,462 posts
6,638 battles
7 minutes ago, No_color_DK said:

I know, but if I correct my aim just a little bit, it jumps back to the nearest ship .. and are two ships on the same line, compared to where I aim, then it is often that I use x, just remove my aim without choosing another target..

Either you're encountering a bug or this is strictly your "git-gud" kind of problem, because I've never had it and I almost never have to manually switch targets when using main guns. As for removing the lock-on feature...that would complicate stuff. First of all you'd have to constantly correct your aim manually when a ship is sailing left or right relative to your crosshair and you'd also lose the dispersion assist (remember what happens when shooting at targets that aren't locked on?).

• Cool 2

[DDU]
Players
23 posts
3,196 battles
21 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Either you're encountering a bug or this is strictly your "git-gud" kind of problem, because I've never had it and I almost never have to manually switch targets when using main guns. As for removing the lock-on feature...that would complicate stuff. First of all you'd have to constantly correct your aim manually when a ship is sailing left or right relative to your crosshair and you'd also lose the dispersion assist (remember what happens when shooting at targets that aren't locked on?).

I know it so well, it is as shootg with a shotgun, the bullets fly in all directions :-( ... now but I must learn to live with it .. even if it makes me crazy ...

Thanks for your answers Domen3, and have a nice new year ..

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
597 posts
3,341 battles

Aim at the ship itself to lock the correct target when pressing X. ;)

The lock on is an aim assist and gives a dispersion bonus, so you need to have the correct ship selected.

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
693 posts
10,606 battles

I'm sure the system used to be better at selecting the ship being aimed at better than it is now. Probably sometime earlier in the year when I noticed the change.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
1 hour ago, No_color_DK said:

The X also allows you to cycle between them. It will try to prefer the ship closer to you, but just click it a few times till it locks the correct target, then aim & take the shot

[TEA]
Players
1,103 posts
4,627 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

The X also allows you to cycle between them. It will try to prefer the ship closer to you, but just click it a few times till it locks the correct target, then aim & take the shot

Dont click the target or you'll shoot prematurely:cap_haloween::Smile_trollface:. You mean hover over the target til it locks.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
2 hours ago, Armorin said:

I'm sure the system used to be better at selecting the ship being aimed at better than it is now. Probably sometime earlier in the year when I noticed the change.

I seem to feel they have indeed fiddled with it somehow, might be just us tho...

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
48 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Dont click the target or you'll shoot prematurely:cap_haloween::Smile_trollface:. You mean hover over the target til it locks.

I meant click X not the LMB :Smile_veryhappy:

[BS4]
Players
916 posts
5,611 battles
9 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

The lock on is an aim assist and gives a dispersion bonus,

I believe this is secondary guns only and only applies when a captain skill is applied.

Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament (4 skill points) reduces the dispersion of secondary armament by -15% for ships of Tiers I-VI, and -60% for ships of Tiers VII-X. This dispersion bonus only applies to the manually focused target that the captain has selected by holding CTRL and left-clicking. Additionally, ships under the command of commanders with this skill will NOT fire their secondary guns at any target other than the one selected as a focus target, regardless of range.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Secondary_Armament

[W-C]
2,462 posts
6,638 battles
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

I believe this is secondary guns only and only applies when a captain skill is applied.

No, it really does give a dispersion bonus...Just not in a direct % based value. There is a visible difference between shooting a locked and an unlocked target

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
81 posts
3,805 battles
11 hours ago, Armorin said:

I was thinking the same.

I am having to press X multiple times in some battles even after I have moved my mouse over an enemy ship and the reticle doesn't lock on the target

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
916 posts
5,611 battles
3 hours ago, domen3 said:

No, it really does give a dispersion bonus...Just not in a direct % based value.

That's not a bonus then is it. :Smile_hiding:

3 hours ago, domen3 said:

There is a visible difference between shooting a locked and an unlocked target

....that's because you have locked on to a moving target which provides amore accurate shot AT chosen target.

A bonus obviously implies something more/in addition to normal. Normal is locking on to the target, yes that will stop an inaccurate shot but that (lock on) does not give you a reduction in the dispersion of a locked target as does "Manual fire control" on your secondary's. The only reduction in dispersion to your main guns comes with choosing:

Aiming Systems Modification 1

500000Credits Increases the firing accuracy of the main battery and secondary battery, accelerates the traverse speed of torpedo tubes, and extends the firing range of the secondary battery:
  • -7% to maximum dispersion of main battery shells.:cap_like:
  • +20% to torpedo tubes traverse speed.
  • +5% to secondary battery maximum firing range.
  • -5% to maximum dispersion of secondary shells
  •  
  • In hindsight it also appears to give you a FURTHER -5% dispersion to secondary's.:cap_like:

[W-C]
2,462 posts
6,638 battles
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

....that's because you have locked on to a moving target which provides amore accurate shot AT chosen target.

A bonus obviously implies something more/in addition to normal. Normal is locking on to the target, yes that will stop an inaccurate shot but that (lock on) does not give you a reduction in the dispersion of a locked target as does "Manual fire control" on your secondary's.

Which is exactly what I said, yes

[BS4]
Players
916 posts
5,611 battles
7 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Which is exactly what I said, yes

No I don't believe you did because you clearly said:

4 hours ago, domen3 said:

No, it really does give a dispersion bonus...

No it doesn't.... it just gives the same dispersion but more towards the chosen target because its locked surely?:Smile_amazed:

[W-C]
2,462 posts
6,638 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

No I don't believe you did because you clearly said:

No it doesn't.... it just gives the same dispersion but more towards the chosen target because its locked surely?:Smile_amazed:

It guides some shells closer...what admiral3lingding said...even if you were supposed to miss, sometimes your shells will still head towards the enemy and hit them perfectly because of the lock on.

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
916 posts
5,611 battles
Just now, domen3 said:

It guides some shells closer...what admiral3lingding said...even if you were supposed to miss, sometimes your shells will still head towards the enemy and hit them perfectly because of the lock on.

Yes it does agreed...but it doesn't change the distance between rounds  to one another (dispersion) and give them a tighter grouping that's what I was trying to get across....

[W-C]
2,462 posts
6,638 battles
8 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Yes it does agreed...but it doesn't change the distance between rounds  to one another (dispersion) and give them a tighter grouping that's what I was trying to get across....

Then what would you call that? The not dispersion?

[BS4]
Players
916 posts
5,611 battles
4 hours ago, domen3 said:

Then what would you call that? The not dispersion?

Ok . I had to watch this again to remind myself of what WG have made up here...

A dispersion elipsoid wich has been implemented in this game wich doesn't exist in real life Physics....

so @ 3.05 into the video it does actually state "firing at an enemy without a lock on doubles the size of the dispersion Elipsoid"....

Edited

@domen3 thank you I missed that so you were right, lock on does indeed effect dispersion in this game it seems.