Sign in to follow this  
Hyperion84

Amagi

8 comments in this topic

Players
158 posts
1,515 battles

Hola people, I have just got the Amagi and I am looking forward to playing the ship.

However I'd like some advise on how to drive her.

I figured with her low amount of armor she ain't a frontline ship, just like her previous sister ships.

Now I didn't like the Nagato much, never seemed to preform great in it and it is my hope Amagi at least with the increased loadout might preform a wee bit better in my hands.

Thanks in advance for your help :cap_like:

Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles

Amagi is more frontline than Nagato. Armour-wise, the belt is weak, but like Kronshtadt, angled it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you are 32 mm everywhere, so you can enjoy autobounce against most ships if you angle and at close range you actually got turtleback that makes you hard to citadel. That is not to say Amagi is a brawler. It isn't. But it does a way better job at it than most IJN BBs and also better than NC. Armour-wise, it's surprising how much Amagi can bounce, though if you forget about angling it hurts and if you get hit by HE, you're just going to bleed hp like with Nagato.

Gunnery-wise, I found it a mixed bag. Amagi gets one more gun turret, but loses in sigma. Overall, the damage output is better though. Just don't expect Nagato's stellar accuracy.

Playstyle-wise, Amagi is just a solid ship that is best used as a mobile platform with a heavy broadside. Kind of like Kongou, though tbf, 30 knots at T8 is nothing special these days.It's a good ship. Might rebuy her at some point, when I have credits to spare (bought modules and grinding lines now with the bonuses), as I want to test out what of the more unorthodox things might work out. Doubt much. 

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles

Amagi has jsut as good armour as ships like Republic and Conq. That comes with being a t8+.

In fact, thanks to her bulges, sleek profile and turret layout, she can be even tankier than some higher tier BBs, especially when it comes to fighting off HE

Also turtleback for close range fights

Just don't give your broadside to anyone unnecessarily (stay angled) and the only BBs you have to be a afraid of become the Yamato class

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,430 posts
5,600 battles

The Amagi is a roaming midrange support platform as said above. It has great damage output with a really heavy broadside and is suprisingly accurate. Stealth is on the higher side for tier 8 (not bad mind you) and torpedo defense is fantastic. 

It is just a really solid BB, as long as you angle like wilkatis says and reposition to the get the best angle on your enemies and you are pretty much golden.

Alongside the NC it is still a top tier BB.

• Cool 2

Players
4,607 posts
5,708 battles
11 hours ago, ollonborre said:

The Amagi is a roaming midrange support platform as said above. It has great damage output with a really heavy broadside and is suprisingly accurate. Stealth is on the higher side for tier 8 (not bad mind you) and torpedo defense is fantastic. 

I hope with "stealth is on the higher side" you mean "visibility is on the higher side", as the only thing at T8 more visible than Amagi is Kii. It's not cripplingly bad, but I'd consider "stealth is on the higher side" a bit ambiguous wording.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,430 posts
5,600 battles
4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I hope with "stealth is on the higher side" you mean "visibility is on the higher side", as the only thing at T8 more visible than Amagi is Kii. It's not cripplingly bad, but I'd consider "stealth is on the higher side" a bit ambiguous wording.

Yes I do mean the detection range is high-ish, slight brain error on my part.

[HOUSE]
Players
264 posts
5,022 battles
13 hours ago, Nishi_Kinuyo said:

Remember, there's this thing called the "Amagi Wiggle" for a reason. :Smile_izmena:

This! You angle, and push, then turn around behind something or while undetected and then you kite away using the supreme gun layout on the rear. She eats HE damage and citadels if caught broadside, otherwise her armor is miles better than the Nagato! 

Sign in to follow this