Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
El2aZeR

Preliminary analysis of CV skills/upgrades

56 comments in this topic

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,887 posts
7,112 battles
On 12/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, El2aZeR said:

Concealment System Mod 1 (Ship and aircraft detectability -10%, Dispersion of shells targeting you +5%)

If you wanna go for the troll IJN stealth torp build this is mandatory. Otherwise I'd say pick according to personal preference. 

Guess Kaga should take that, too

[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,342 battles

I just did my first game with the new carriers, took the Langley and I find it quite difficult to hit something with the torpedoes now. Also these things launch only 1 torpedo which does 3300 damage on a very wide ark, what do you attack with those ?

[FJAKA]
Players
1,836 posts
336 battles
1 minute ago, sisito0o said:

I just did my first game with the new carriers, took the Langley and I find it quite difficult to hit something with the torpedoes now. Also these things launch only 1 torpedo which does 3300 damage on a very wide ark, what do you attack with those ?

BBs

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,076 posts
6,133 battles
33 minutes ago, sisito0o said:

-Let the sight close (fly in straight line) for a tighter spread.

-Langley torps are ok against cruiser/BB/CV.

-The hosho torps, because they are faster, are useable against DD

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,342 battles

Thanks for the advice. I won't lie Wargaming managed to restrain the CVs with the update, they could have achived the same by changing some numbers on the old ones but anyway. I kind of want to swap my carriers with submarines, when will those come ?

Players
1,716 posts
245 battles

Can't wait for the guides lol im struggling badly with the ranger feel like im useless.

[-RM-]
Players
374 posts
5,259 battles

Seen more carriers in 9 games than I usually see in a week, outcome is completely up to whether your teams carriers know what they are doing or not, only game where I had any impact was when I played the Flint 4 kills and 12 planes

Even an AA meme build Alabama was useless when up against enemy Midway/Kaga shot down 4 planes before wipeout

Hope people get tired of this carrier crap soon

[SM0KE]
Players
2,991 posts
7,126 battles

Just a note to thank @El2aZeR for this thread - it was invaluable when configuring my CVs last night.

I was short of time, and this helped a lot in generating a 'first pass' - good work, that life-form!

:Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,815 posts
6,038 battles
On 12/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, El2aZeR said:

Hide contents

4 pointers:

Sight stabilization (Accelerates aiming time by 10%)

THE mandatory 4 pointer. No way around this one for obvious reasons.

Enlighten me what it exactly does, because i am not so convinced i need it ! Tried is several respecs but felt no difference.Maybe because i always begin attack at 5 km ?

I THINK it narrows the aiming window or reticule faster. But it must be by such a small margin that i do not notice it at all, and it is then not worth 4 point to me.

More speed flying near FLAK, more fighters per consumable drop, faster torpedo's that are more difficult to dodge, more armour and health, faster replenish are of more use to me. I think...

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,076 posts
6,133 battles
10 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Enlighten me what it exactly does, because i am not so convinced i need it ! Tried is several respecs but felt no difference.Maybe because i always begin attack at 5 km ?

I THINK it narrows the aiming window or reticule faster. But it must be by such a small margin that i do not notice it at all, and it is then not worth 4 point to me.

More speed flying near FLAK, more fighters per consumable drop, faster torpedo's that are more difficult to dodge, more armour and health, faster replenish are of more use to me. I think...

This was my thinking too.

Firstly because it was nerfed between PTS and Live - its 5% for rockets/torps, 10% for DB.

Secondly because I don't know exactly what it does - it could either speed up the reticle closing, or it could speed up the prep time between starting the attack and being able to launch. Im always wary of taking a skill where I cant work out exactly WHAT it does.

Thirdly, regardless of which it applies to the average reticle closing/prep time is pretty quick anyway. ~5 seconds (this is a complete guess). A 5% reduction is 0.25 of a second?

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,507 posts
15,221 battles

I exchanged RF health for DB health on the Midway but that's pretty much it. Played around a bit with HP instead of speed on the 6th upgrade slot but planes frankly didn't feel particularly tankier so going for max speed is probably still your best bet imo.

• Cool 1

[_OPC_]
Players
429 posts
12,100 battles
45 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I exchanged RF health for DB health on the Midway but that's pretty much it. Played around a bit with HP instead of speed on the 6th upgrade slot but planes frankly didn't feel particularly tankier so going for max speed is probably still your best bet imo.

Ok, thank you.

Players
1,067 posts
8,084 battles

What's everyone's current thinking on Concealment? Meaning both Concealment Expert skill and the upgrade that reduces concealment (at the expense of deck capacity / replenishment speed).

In the old CV's I'd always run Concealment Expert because you really didn't have strong alternatives in the captain skills. Now it doesn't feel worth it when we have 20+ points to put on skills that directly buff the planes. Same with the Concealment Mod -- hard to justify running it when you're struggling with plane losses anyway and could have more planes.

I find it mildly annoying to have a 15km concealment on the ship, but then the planes are so fast that I just keep the CV further back (although I really feel like a noob for doing so, after being used to keeping the well-concealed CV close to front line in the RTS days).

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,331 posts
9,689 battles

Hi all,

First of all many thanks to @El2aZeR for great info - much appreciated! :Smile_honoring:

Two question though... :Smile_hiding:

What would you use for CV beginners if they have, lets say 19-point captain for new CVs and they want to start the line from scratch?

USN Langley

gGv64kq.jpg

And you can see the setup "Live" by using the most excellent "WoWs Fitting Tool":

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASA104&modules=121111&upgrades=120000&skills=139075624&consumables=11&lang=en

IJN Hosho

lM6UY4G.jpg

And you can see the setup "Live" by using the most excellent "WoWs Fitting Tool":

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PJSA104&modules=121111&upgrades=120000&skills=134881320&consumables=11&lang=en

Thanks for info and guidance in advance!

Leo "Apollo11"

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,507 posts
15,221 battles
2 hours ago, jss78 said:

I find it mildly annoying to have a 15km concealment on the ship, but then the planes are so fast that I just keep the CV further back (although I really feel like a noob for doing so, after being used to keeping the well-concealed CV close to front line in the RTS days).

This pretty much. CE can be useful on IJN CVs to achieve DD stealth on their TBs, but with the recent nerf IJN TBs have become rather meh anyway.

1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

USN Langley

I'd actually consider taking Last Gasp and Direction Center for Fighters with the last two points. TA seems like a waste of points considering the short drop distance and there really aren't any alternatives except maybe AR.

1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IJN Hosho

I'd probably take RPF just for the lulz. Last point can then be invested in Last Gasp.

If you don't want RPF, boosting AA with BFT then going for LG and DCF or CE with LG is probably your best bet.

• Cool 2

Players
144 posts

I've got 4 points not planned yet on my Ryujo (captain will stay there).

And I'm thinking about these 2 options: 2x2 point skills for speed (Engine+AR) or the 3point + 1 point skill

Actually I'm leaning towards SE and last gasp. More speed is of course nice for travelling. But with these aiming times (0.8.0.3) I need to brake as much as possible to get a fully aimed drop with torpedos. More (base) speed would be a hinderance then.

Zitat

1 pointers:

Last Gasp (Restores engine boost for the last attack wing)

Completely useless imo. If you've conserved your boost the right way you'll have plenty available. The last wing is also usually the most shot up one, chances are you won't even get to use it.

But Last gasp leaves a question to me, which maybe one of you have experienced:

My question when does it activate?

Is it reserved only for the 5th + 6th plane of a 6 planes squad (with 3 attack runs with 2 planes for each run)?

What happens if 2 planes are shot down during the attacks? Will last gasp kick in for the remaining "last attack planes" which are plane 3 and 4 of that squad?

Having a full boost available when only the attack amount of planes is left in the squad could be handy for the attack or (more often) to escape full speed out of AA zone and press F then to rescue one or two planes.

Players
5,419 posts
8,131 battles
1 hour ago, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

I've got 4 points not planned yet on my Ryujo (captain will stay there).

And I'm thinking about these 2 options: 2x2 point skills for speed (Engine+AR) or the 3point + 1 point skill

Actually I'm leaning towards SE and last gasp. More speed is of course nice for travelling. But with these aiming times (0.8.0.3) I need to brake as much as possible to get a fully aimed drop with torpedos. More (base) speed would be a hinderance then.

But Last gasp leaves a question to me, which maybe one of you have experienced:

My question when does it activate?

Is it reserved only for the 5th + 6th plane of a 6 planes squad (with 3 attack runs with 2 planes for each run)?

What happens if 2 planes are shot down during the attacks? Will last gasp kick in for the remaining "last attack planes" which are plane 3 and 4 of that squad?

Having a full boost available when only the attack amount of planes is left in the squad could be handy for the attack or (more often) to escape full speed out of AA zone and press F then to rescue one or two planes.

First, start TB run quite a distance away, as IJN TB, especially with appropriate upgrade have LOOONG ready-to-drop time. Combine that with their above average speed, concealment and you can (and should) carry out basically boom and zoom attacks, with entering another "attack run" as soon as possible if within range of heavy-ish AA for 30% dmg reduction.

Last Gasp activates itself if squadron is shredded enough, ie suddenly out of 12 planes you got 3 or whatever attack wing number is.

Players
144 posts
Vor 28 Minuten, Panocek sagte:

Last Gasp activates itself if squadron is shredded enough, ie suddenly out of 12 planes you got 3 or whatever attack wing number is.

So shot down planes are taken into calculation. That's good to know. In that case I'd go with SE and last gasp. Hope that the full boost helps for the last attack run or for fleeing out of AA range.

[T_I_W]
Players
161 posts
10,220 battles
On 2/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

So shot down planes are taken into calculation. That's good to know. In that case I'd go with SE and last gasp. Hope that the full boost helps for the last attack run or for fleeing out of AA range.

Since i started to use this i have to admit it is more useful than i was expecting, quite often it saves 2-3 planes by allowing them to boost out of heavy AA zone and return.

Another interesting way to use this skill is by deliberately wasting all but the last 2 strike squads; hear me out, you want to strike something crazy like Des Moines or Minotaur.. you know almost no planes are gonna survive it.

By having only 2 strike squads when you approach, you can boost the first squad all the way in, strike, boost recharged so you can get the second squad out with minimal damage to a safe enough distance to turn and try for the second.

Usually a crazy AA cruiser would kill 2-3 strikes worth of planes during the escape/turn around phase, everything is probably going to die anyway but with this method you usually can hit them with 2 strikes.

As for CE skill, with the spotting nerfs, i think reducing the search area to find those pesky DDs by 2km is worth it, maybe its just me but i swear certain stealth AA cruisers now also chase your planes to try and ambush them, CE helps reduce their ability to do that... i think... Maybe it is not the amazing skill it could be, but for me it is still a solid choice.

[ALOUE]
Players
129 posts
3,467 battles

Any chance for a British commander CV spec? :)

Edit: or is it just a copy paste of the USN commander skills?

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,507 posts
15,221 battles

I would just like to note that this is long outdated. Maybe I'll update it someday.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
2,991 posts
7,126 battles
On 4/1/2019 at 7:11 AM, El2aZeR said:

Maybe I'll update it someday.

If you get a chance, it'd be very much appreciated, as was the first iteration!