Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Operation Frontier - Why do people find it so hard?

56 comments in this topic

Players
1,373 posts
5,380 battles

Hi all,

Operation Frontier is one of the more difficult Ops I realise but it's not impossible to get 4 star+ wins occasionally but it's just painful to watch people throw the game time after time for so many silly reasons. BB's not killing the cruiser in the Top Right so our planes get shot down, 2 Cruisers getting torped by the first 2 DD's so no-one is left to kill the middle right cruiser meaning our planes get shot down, human DD's always shooting so they are always spotted and die quickly etc, the list goes on.

I played 4 games back to back in Flint, Atlanta and Boise and did 150K+ in all the games, averaged 4-6 kills and I came top of the XP in 3 out of 4and it seems that all but one of the 24 other players in those 4 teams seems to have had too much potato over Christmas and it's infected their brains (the 24th was a good player, also in an Atlanta and came top XP).

What is it about these Ops which takes average players and makes them into drooling lobotomy cases. Are there too many DD's, too much targeting of cruisers by the bots so that human BB's can't tank, not enough terrain to hide behind, are people scared of the bots etc? Just what is it that makes this Op in particular just so hard for the average player? One thing I have noticed is that there is sooo much HE spam from the bots and with almost no cruisers having the ability to heal they die the quickest, even with that repair station, so thats one issue I think could be improved on.

Anyone else have their own ideas as I'd love to know what others think?

shot-18_12.29_00_42.26-0303.thumb.jpg.eeac690278e2960df81b5aee80d5f3ab.jpg

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,724 posts
14,669 battles

The average player already struggles to comprehend the ancient and mythical art of WASD. How are you even surprised that they can't handle Operations?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
16,376 posts
11,328 battles

The average player of OPs is far worse than the average player in random.

You can get competent teams, but most of the times you do not.

I prefer to play this OP in BB, as I have the feeling their role is most important.

Players
2,685 posts
2,941 battles

I already have 5 stars, but I had a lot of help from savvy friends. 

Did it in Hood, which is very capable in most (but not all) things. 

For example, NEVER go alone to find those DDs... usually they find YOU. 

Players
1,373 posts
5,380 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

I prefer to play this OP in BB, as I have the feeling their role is most important.

Yeah, BB's are the back bone of this Op and can almost hold it together when the cruisers all go to pieces but they can get easily swamped by the DD's if the cruisers all die too soon.

20 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

How are you even surprised that they can't handle Operations?

I'm just so "surprised" that it feels like so many players, even those in Clans (and therefore must care about the game a bit) are so poor at the very basics. For example the Clan player in the Algerie in this game below (4 star win so they are possible) died right at the start because he rushed 3 BB's, 2 DD's and a Cruiser, dying within 2 minutes of his first shot, rather than get into my smoke like I told him he could do. Despite being at least a T7 player, what part of that makes him think it was a smart move? The other Clan player (again, should be better) also did poorly, managing to die to the Atlanta in the top right spawn point somehow!

shot-18_12.29_01_25.08-0095.thumb.jpg.7bdd5a134604fc1783de617cac734261.jpg

• Funny 1

[BABBY]
Players
334 posts
7,259 battles
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I already have 5 stars, but I had a lot of help from savvy friends. 

Did it in Hood, which is very capable in most (but not all) things. 

For example, NEVER go alone to find those DDs... usually they find YOU. 

Is there anything you DON'T play in the Hood? :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[OLEUM]
[OLEUM]
Players
11 posts
12,178 battles

It's pretty unplayable now if you want to win, or at least earn a few stars. Playing well in a lost game is not rewarded so it feels as a waste of time. 

• Cool 5

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,724 posts
14,669 battles
7 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

I'm just so "surprised" that it feels like so many players, even those in Clans (and therefore must care about the game a bit) are so poor at the very basics.

Almost everyone I see in randoms is in a clan nowadays. It's not rare that they're the sole member, too, so I wouldn't take that as a measurement for anything.

How? Don't ask me, last time I checked you need doubloons to create a clan. If they're happy to waste money like that...

Then again I'd probably be very worried for myself if I could understand the mindset of the average player.

• Funny 3

Players
2,685 posts
2,941 battles
22 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Is there anything you DON'T play in the Hood? :Smile_veryhappy:

Nope. Actually anything that takes T7, I take Hood. But I find it great. Very fast, very tanky and packs a good punch.

I'd rather take that to T9 than Monarch... but alas... I must... else I'll never get any further.

Actually, I did get Hood for Operations (a lot of them are T7) and because I like it... 

I grind the RN BBs but I did suck at KGV... so that got the least use possible (I didn't skip it though, I hated Bretagne even more). 

I also grind the USBBs but well, Colorado.... ahem... I have Arizona though, and I use that A LOT in T6 operations, too.

I think you get a lot of co-op players in operations. Now, there are a lot that are pretty savvy,

but I played a bit of co-op with somebody from the forum, and I was amazed at what I saw. 

Looked more like a bunch of hyenas or piranhas going for the meat. Sweet bejeezus.

Hurr durrr, after 3 minutes either they were all dead or the bots were all dead. 

However bots in operations are not quite as dumb as the bots in co-op. 

• Funny 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

Anyone else have their own ideas as I'd love to know what others think? 

My view is this: In Ulimate Frontier, almost everyone has to take a certain position, move into a certain direction right away. If that doesnt happen - you will have a hard time. If more then 2 people do what they want or have no idea - you wont get 5 stars. You simply cant do everything alone in this OP, because you cant be at 3 places at one time. So you need a decent team, that knows what they are doing. They dont even need to be super unicums, since the task initself arent that hard. Just pick the correct ship, go to the right place and shoot the stuff you see. Sounds easy, well, it is, but apperently, isnt.

@Juanx most of the people posting in this topic (I know for certain 3 have + me makes it 4:Smile_honoring:) have 5 stars in this operation and can throw you a screen like that. Even with better score. Doesnt change the problems with the avarage teams.

• Cool 2

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
597 posts
3,335 battles

I get the idea you haven’t played Ranked at tier 10, because there you ll meet WoWS finest players that will drain your tears by their not so smart moves.

After that experience nothing can dissapoint you anymore.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
14 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

My view is this: In Ulimate Frontier, almost everyone has to take a certain position, move into a certain direction right away. If that doesnt happen - you will have a hard time. If more then 2 people do what they want or have no idea - you wont get 5 stars. You simply cant do everything alone in this OP, because you cant be at 3 places at one time. So you need a decent team, that knows what they are doing. They dont even need to be super unicums, since the task initself arent that hard. Just pick the correct ship, go to the right place and shoot the stuff you see. Sounds easy, well, it is, but apperently, isnt.

@Juanx most of the people posting in this topic (I know for certain 3 have + me makes it 4:Smile_honoring:) have 5 stars in this operation and can throw you a screen like that. Even with better score. Doesnt change the problems with the avarage teams.

Oh, so my average team is invalidated, gotcha...

• Bad 1

[BABBY]
Players
334 posts
7,259 battles
1 minute ago, Juanx said:

Noone is implying that you can't get a decent full random team. More often than not though, you won't. Your standard PvE player is a 42-48% WR type of guy, I once met a player that had 80% co-op WR (!!!)

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
4 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Come on, its one game mate. Im sure you´ve lost this OP aswell and for the same reason mentioned in the OP. Dont troll, you can do better then that, I know you :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
2,685 posts
2,941 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I get the idea you haven’t played Ranked at tier 10, because there you ll meet WoWS finest players that will drain your tears by their not so smart moves.

Try Clan Battles at T10... even my potato clan (with most in rented ships) managed to scrape together a few victories.

I saw broadside cruisers going in straight lines, shooting HE at other broadside cruisers... I saw BBs trying to cap... :Smile_trollface:

3 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Nah in fact it is CONFIRMED to be decidedly average... :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
9 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Nah in fact it is CONFIRMED to be decidedly average... :cap_like:

:Smile_trollface: Not below? I am dissapoint...

Feel free to make some sort of player list? And them whenever a succesful OP is needed do a Batman and shine the spotlight?

• Cool 1

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
11 hours ago, IanH755 said:

What is it about these Ops which takes average players and makes them into drooling lobotomy cases.

Yesterday I saw a Bismarck, sole top tier BB on our team, go wide around A on shards, then come back up. By the time he was done, almost everyone was dead, he hadn't done anything, as noone was down there, he was full hp. He then steamed straight into the remaining enemy forces, ate a full spread of Kagero torps, before getting finished off by a few shots from god knows what. Unsurprisingly bottom of the score board, maybe got a couple thousand damage from the secondaries or so.

So, I ask you, why do you think Ops are what makes players dumb? Just go into random battle. It's only a matter of time before you lose faith in humanity.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,069 posts
5,962 battles

I've had games in this campaign where one or more of our BBs reverses into the harbour area.  When challenged they stated that "they will come in use later in the battle".   Needless to say the loss (due to not being effective) meant the battle did not go well for the rest of us.

Oh, and the BB in the harbour did so something at the very end but they did come bottom in XP.

[-VIS-]
[-VIS-]
Players
267 posts
3,948 battles
10 ore fa, LemonadeWarrior ha scritto:

Man you just reminded me of a stupid rank 7-8 Khaba who sat the whole match parked behind the vulcano in Hotspot map, just to ambush the enemy Gearing, failing to torp him and then being torped to death by such Gearing :fish_nerv: 

Then I found him in the next match in Tears of the Desert and he was on a Grozovoi, guess what he did in that match? :Smile_facepalm:

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
1 minute ago, Bics93 said:

Man you just reminded me of a stupid rank 7-8 Khaba who sat the whole match parked behind the vulcano in Hotspot map, just to ambush the enemy Gearing, failing to torp him and then being torped to death by such Gearing :fish_nerv: 

Then I found him in the next match in Tears of the Desert and he was on a Grozovoi, guess what he did in that match? :Smile_facepalm:

Reminds me of that player immortalised by Jingles in his feature of Flambass in Ranked. That YY torping a Z.

Not to even talk about how sad it is when you see an Asashio torp things that aren't a BB. They paid money for that, you know. Like, real monesy, just to fail...

• Funny 1

[-VIS-]
[-VIS-]
Players
267 posts
3,948 battles
12 minuti fa, Riselotte ha scritto:

Reminds me of that player immortalised by Jingles in his feature of Flambass in Ranked. That YY torping a Z.

Not to even talk about how sad it is when you see an Asashio torp things that aren't a BB. They paid money for that, you know. Like, real monesy, just to fail...

The Zao who tries to help carry Flambass’ team in that match is a clanmate of mine, just imagine his frustration for that Yueyang and for the final Kurfurst throw :Smile_facepalm:

[FDUSH]
Players
1,195 posts
6,764 battles
11 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Almost everyone I see in randoms is in a clan nowadays. It's not rare that they're the sole member, too, so I wouldn't take that as a measurement for anything.

How? Don't ask me, last time I checked you need doubloons to create a clan. If they're happy to waste money like that...

Then again I'd probably be very worried for myself if I could understand the mindset of the average player.

I created mine some months ago when there was a 50% discount (so, only costed me 1250 doublons or so).
Weird thing, I thought I was the only one doing that.

Also, it's not a waste of money. It's the only way to get some of the advantages of gathering oil and discounts for those of us who doesn't knows how to teamplay.

Sign in to follow this