You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

A novice player (noob) sets up the Hipper

26 comments in this topic

[PN]
Players
321 posts
3,566 battles

Hello All,

As this is my first post, introductions should be in place, so - I am Saltface. Noob. OOPS I meant novice player.

Now that this is out of the way I would like to throw in my ten cents about the Hipper.

I shall not repeat what is written in so many reviews. I read them all trying to set up mine. This is primarily addressed to novice players and intends to share an experience of another novice player so that they might be assisted, hopefully, in setting up a Hipper that will be enjoyable and effective. (not to mention that T8 is rather competitive and it is easy to be outclassed, outgunned, outranged etc and expensive !!)

And I experimented. I tried almost every variant. The one presented here worked best for me.

It allowed  (as advised by the more expert players' posts in this forum) to fight efficiently as a second line vessel at the opening stage of the game, however, not so back as to be useless to my team mates.

It allowed  to be a bit more aggressive earlier than I expected in the game (reflected in the amount of damage that I did to the opponents - helping thus the team) and

during the closing stage to be really aggressive.

Results: increase in damage points and win rate but most importantly = a significantly more satisfactory game.

The basic difference is that I dumped "Concealment System Modification 1" and replaced it with "Steering Gears Modification 3"

This, according to my humble opinion, is the main contributor to my game amelioration.

upgrades.png.41e91a33f635fd8fd9bf8acee029f587.png

As per experts' opinion, you should play the Hipper from range .

When you notice incoming fire, follow avoidance procedures with immediate change of course and speed.  

It never worked until I implemented the above setup.

Till then the scenario was: "Incoming" flashed on the screen, I instantly pressed "s" and changed course and I sunk or got so badly damaged that the game was almost over right then and there. 

Having played some games with the Hipper I had the feeling that she was not responsive to my rudder instructions. The delay was obvious.

Being frustrated I spent the extra gold and silver and implemented the above.

It worked.

In retrospect I can say the following:

I am very happy to lose some concealment range. There is no reason after all to have your guns silent so the reds don't see you !! lol 

Fire, let them see you, and since you are at range you have all the time in the world to avoid the return fire. It is a Naval Combat game after all.

Moreover, during kiting the effect is better. You can "wiggle" easy and fast. And return fire. Unless the red is very persistent you most probably will escape with minor damages.

And last but not least torpedoes. It was a nightmare and it became a piece of cake.

Please don't misunderstand the above.

It doesn't advocate putting up a sign saying "the Hipper is here".

Or showing your broadsides. Or not looking where you are going or not thinking whats ahead and whats the range and power of the opponents or to neglect situational awareness. Many good posts on this forum about all the above pointed me to the right direction. Fellow novice players are urged to read them and do their homework. Trust me they are valuable.

In slot 3, I opted for reducing dispersion instead of the suggested "AA Guns Modification 2" as she would be firing from range. Not to mention that only one out of five battles have CVs and the AA capacity of the Hipper is not so bad.

All the above setup is on Hull C.

Her Commander now is as follows

commande.thumb.png.6bc490c828f958d5491817e482aa1d16.png

Being a novice it was easy to go unorthodox. 

In detail:

I need to know how many have their eyes on me, when I get fired at (from range) so I can avoid,  I want to change fast HE to AP. Dogfighting Expert was for the last point that I had nothing to do with so lets get a stronger fighter when facing higher tiers (level 1)

As I cant heal (like Prinz Eugen) at least I can put more shells towards harms way (level 2)

As I cant heal (like Prinz Eugen) I improvised and got myself a few extra HP, I get to know earlier if some fish (torpedoes) are in the water and the arsonist inside me increased the probability of setting a red ablaze (Level 3)

Concealment for Level 4. After all she is a visible vessel and as I mentioned before no need to put up a sign that the Hipper is here.

As you can see I traded secondaries, AA and an extra set of consumables for a tad of HP and alot of Situational Awareness.

All of the above should be taken by my kind readers with a critical mind. More expert readers are kindly requested to critique, correct and improve. They will be appreciated and most welcome.

The results are shown bellow. What you cant see and you have to take my word for it is that all of a sudden the Hipper became a boat I ENJOY playing. Even when T9 and T10 are in the game I dont feel intimidated (I dont underestimate them, they are faster, stronger and more potent but they dont intimidate me anymore)

results.thumb.png.0eeb9f055f58b15fd6e014d3b23b1e5e.png

Thank you for reading, please feel free to be critical and I hope this first post of mine will be helpful to fellow players.

Enjoy the game,

Saltface

• Cool 2

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

Being a novice it was easy to go unorthodox. 

wtf is that third skill on the first row? the plane one??

also, BoS isn't the worst pick ever, though I wouldn't recommend it.

• Cool 1

[PN]
Players
321 posts
3,566 battles
6 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

also, BoS isn't the worst pick ever, though I wouldn't recommend it.

It increases the attack power of your fighter plane if it is facing higher tier bombers, torpedo planes or fighters.

As far as BoS in concerned, you will have to excuse my ignorance. What is BoS?

Ok I found out what it is !! LOL - True, but I opted for a bit more HP. I have finished games with less than 200.

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

It increases the attack power of your fighter plane if it is facing higher tier bombers, torpedo planes or fighters.

Yea I just checked it out. I didn't know it by heart cause that's a carrier skill. I have no idea if it will help your fighter on a surface ship, but even if it does, I doubt it will do that much. You're better off investing that point then in the direction center (the one left of it), which will give you a double plane. They will help you spot torps too.

BoS is basics of survivability.

• Cool 1

[PN]
Players
321 posts
3,566 battles
Just now, Saiyko said:

Yea I just checked it out. I didn't know it by heart cause that's a carrier skill. I have no idea if it will help your fighter on a surface skill, but even if it does, I doubt it will do that much. You're better off investing that point then in the direction center (the one left of it), which will give you a double plane. They will help you spot torps too.

Thank you for the advise. I will try it when I redistribute again and I ll follow up in this thread. 

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles
1 minute ago, Saltface said:

Survivability expert.... Not particular useful in cruiser or battleship. imho. those 3 points and the fighter buff will give you 4 points of better use. Like superintendent and preventive maintenance. 

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
3 ore fa, Saltface ha scritto:

Thank you for the advise. I will try it when I redistribute again and I ll follow up in this thread. 

Well, if you want more, I'd never recommend vigilance either :D

Seems like a waste of three points for what you correctly called a second line cruiser. Though if you have a lot of trouble anticipating torps, better keep it.

You're wasting a lot of gold  respeccing that captain imho. Why not just ask around for some more hints? A typical captain would be something like this: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1010100000000010000001100000100119

although only if you keep him for Roon. If not, you can ditch the superintendant.

3 ore fa, hgbn_dk ha scritto:

Survivability expert.... Not particular useful in cruiser or battleship. imho. those 3 points and the fighter buff will give you 4 points of better use. Like superintendent and preventive maintenance. 

Bos =/= SE

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
7 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

LOL - I was looking at it and asking myself the same thing!

13 minutes ago, Saltface said:

More expert readers are kindly requested to critique, correct and improve. They will be appreciated and most welcome.

ok.

13 minutes ago, Saltface said:

The basic difference is that I dumped "Concealment System Modification 1" and replaced it with "Steering Gears Modification 3"

Just no. Concealment System Mod is a must for every Cruiser. There is no discussion about it, its simply a must have.

Also, you waste too many points on the 1-point-skills. IFA and PT both together - meh. One of it is enough, Id go with PT. The plane-thing is useless, as Saiyko said, you can drop it for double fighter, which actually is usefull.

SE wont help you that much - also its less helpful since Hipper doesnt have a heal (it would increace the amount of health healed back a little). You could take Expert Marksman instead and / or with all the points saved, could go for AFT/BFT, since it will help you against CVs and give a little buff to secondaries.

Have to say: Hipper in general doesnt scale well with all the captain skills. Its fine with 10 points already, other ships gain more from the 10+ points. It all comes down to the question: are you going to keep Hipper? or will you move the captain to Roon / Hindenburg?

[NWP]
Players
4,634 posts
6,364 battles

Are you planing to keep the hipper with that captain?

Easier to give advice on what you should take.

Super Intendent is not need for Hipper, but its more worth on Roon/Hindenburg because extra heal (alltho you need to survive pretty long to use all 5! heals these days, as they got an extra heal not too long ago)

If you plan to leave it on the Hipper:

Dont take Super Intendent, but i personaly would take Expert Marksman. If you sit longrange, it wont matter much. But maybe later in the game it can be helpful to turn your turrets faster.

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

Just no. Concealment System Mod is a must for every Cruiser. There is no discussion about it, its simply a must have.

That's not really true. Lots of ppl play mogami with rudder mod, or henri.

I remember trying it out with hipper as well on my NA adventures. Can't really remember if I even switched back to concealment mod in the end. The rudder mod is quite ok, even though of course your concealment becomes horrible. Wouldn't recommend it to newer players I think.

• Cool 3

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles
Just now, Saiyko said:

Wouldn't recommend it to newer players I think.

Yes, you are right, I should have added that but wanted to sound more ... convincing I guess :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles

shot-18_12.28_16_46.49-0709.thumb.jpg.c5407a347412a29703c5fecc24445da8.jpg

I use this setup. Not saying this is the only way to do it. This is from my Hindenburg( same skipper was used on the Hipper when I levelled her)

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, iJoby said:

Flamu recommended skills.

I wonder if he would still pick that one today. (let's see if he lurks around here? @Solanine?) He probably didn't go AFT because there were limited carriers for a while. But hipper has a really good AA suite in the end.

@Saltface the second row skill here (high alert) is a very good alternative for your BoS.

[PN]
Players
321 posts
3,566 battles

Gentlemen, thank you for your prompt responses. Most valuable. 

However, I will beg your understanding of the most important fact. I am novice. Hence, the 1st level extravaganza.

I m sure most, if not all, of you need no first level.

Being novice I lack the experience and the "feeling" of the game and I try to compensate with lil blimps on the screen telling me "wake up" they know where you are and they are shooting at you.

Also, I know I get hit. Alot. Especially from Moskva and Zao. So, I said to myself, at least lets send a bit faster some shells towards the bad guys. Nevertheless, I dont know what is optimal, the 0.2% of RoF which translates to 10% faster if you are down to 50% of your HP, or loading faster my repair party. It is true I havent noticed the increased rate of fire but I have noticed that I have been banging the R, come on dammit work!!!

And yes, later in the game when close quarters are more probable I feel I d want faster turrets, but I was doubting 0.7% /sec would make a difference. They are not so slow after all.

I agree the plane thingy is not needed. Especially with the second Level 4 Skill in the proposed Hindenburg setup.

The Hindy setup is very appealing to me.

I will move to the Hindy (through the Roon) but I went to T8 rather fast. So, I ll spend some time with the Hipper to get better in the game before I move up. It would be a pity my team to believe they have a Hindenburg and instead to realize they have a row boat on their side. As they say in my country "silk panties need dexterous behinds" 

Now concerning the rudders trade off with concealment.

With my level of skill, I get better games since I changed. Maybe my state of mind also changed and has and alert on "be aware they can see you"

But it is a fact that compared to before now the Hipper turns like a ship not like a grand piano.

When I had the Concealment  upgrade it took a shot and then bubbles. I couldn't escape. Now, I shoot until I see the muzzle flash and then I turn fast and escape.

As you where kind to advise me, I was playing a battle (once more with higher tier) and I was chased by a Roon (she was good it was very hard to shoot her) and a DD. I dodged the torps, the shots of the little  creep (the red ones the green ones are good) and the persistence of Ms. Roon. I also dealt a good degree of damage to both of them. All that because of the rudder. I would never be able to pull this off without it. 

After I use the Rudder upgrade I dodge torps easy!! Just hear the sound. I look, I judge and I avoid. Again the rudder.

And I will say that the last gentleman that posted is right. It is UNOPTIMAL. I need to redistribute. But I beg your tolerance until I become more confident of my situational awareness.

It is the result of frustration of being in a high tier and not enjoying the game.

I struggled with Yorck. I promised myself I d stay with her 200 Random Battles before I go to the Hipper and when I went to the Hipper I felt so bad. 

The big mess is because I want the Incoming alert. I will try to think about a remedy and I ll follow up.

Thanking you again

Saltface

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
1 hour ago, Saiyko said:

The skill picked is SE though. BoS is the skill on the left of it.

Also, I don't find the need for double rudder on the Hipper. Better concealment is imo a more solid option. Yes, Mogami with double rudder works, but Mogami without concealment mod already has better concealment than any CA, except Atago, with concealment mod. My greatest advice to making single rudder work would be to start paying attention when the number on the PT counter goes up, not when IFA goes off. 

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,925 posts
9,983 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

The skill picked is SE though. BoS is the skill on the left of it.

O my lord i missed that. I just don't expect seeing people pick that I guess :Smile_amazed:

Players
4,085 posts
6,478 battles

@Saltface well, at the end of the day, it comes down to what works for you. Some captain skills are open for discussion, some are personal prerference, other are really not recommended. Like Survivability Expert... isnt really going to help you much. Its 2800 health more. There are situations, where it will make zero difference. Like a BB shooting at you, might kill you with or without that skill. Its basically a DD skill, since you might be able to survive 1 or 2 more BB overpens or one more salvo from a DD or cruiser. Incoming fire alert on the other hand: if you need it and make it work - then it will lower the damage you get so thats good. It is possible to get the information from that skill also by awerness, thats why its often not recommended. High Altert (which was recommended) however gets your DCP ready faster and more often. Since you dont have a heal on Hipper, it will allow you to use it more effectivly against fires, lowering the damage you take again. Then again: if you move the captain to Roon and Hinden - Super Intendent gets more valueable (althought Hinden doesnt need it anymore with the recent +1 heal so again: up for discussion).

[PN]
Players
321 posts
3,566 battles

Lady and Gentlemen thank you for all your replies,

you have been kind enough to clear up alot of the mess in my mind.

I shall redistribute (shortly LOL gold comes at a premium you know) but before that I shall post a proposed skill set for further commentary.

Players
4,793 posts
7,962 battles
12 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Lady and Gentlemen thank you for all your replies,

you have been kind enough to clear up alot of the mess in my mind.

I shall redistribute (shortly LOL gold comes at a premium you know) but before that I shall post a proposed skill set for further commentary.

AFAIK free skill respec should come with 0.8.0 with CV rework

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

AFAIK free skill respec should come with 0.8.0 with CV rework

Hopefully, I would wait and see what's going to be announced before next patch

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
10 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Also there is mission chain to get free 10lvl German captain, you need to:

-manually opt in here https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/january-missions-2019/

-show valiant resistance against 2d girls with squeaky voices:Smile_hiding: though you can hide them in port filter options

It's the ultimate Hipper captain though. You may not like it, but this is what peak Hipper looks like.

Together with tsun Hipper flag and permacamo.

Players
4,793 posts
7,962 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It's the ultimate Hipper captain though. You may not like it, but this is what peak Hipper looks like.

Together with tsun Hipper flag and permacamo.

For tsundere heavy cruiser purposes I have Takao already. Free captain is free, so why not. Especially with unique voiceover

• Funny 1