Pikkozoikum

CV Rework: Some tips for beginners.

77 comments in this topic

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles

Hello guys, just wanna give you some hints and tricks, which could help you, when you decided to play the CV rework. Trying to make just short descriptions. Note: I'm seeing this from an IJN view and this is not a complete guide.

Table of content

• Autopilot with CV and AAA
  • AP bombing with different impact angles
  • Aiming with AP - dive bomber against light armored vessels (depends also on the AP bombs)
  • Aiming with AP - dive bomber against heavy armored vessels
  • My general advice for AP bombing
  • Accelerating and slowing down
  • Turning
  • Keyboard and Mouse usage
  • Using Fighters

Autopilot with CV and AAA

I recommend to chose a zig zag course with your carrier, which makes aiming harder for enemy aircraft attacks. Also switching the AA side is recommend. The Screenshot in the 'spoiler' shows, that the CV moves in zig zag to the east, while switching the AAA to the right side (to the south)

Edit: I don't recommend that really anylonger, since the sector change, which "only" increases the continuous aa dps.

Spoiler

153503847_CVmoving.thumb.jpg.15c0b90098cdb5b66a2e15eaff799701.jpg

Another tactic: Since fires and floods last very short, the threat of a burning flight deck is minimized. That encourages to go close with the team. A few km behind the last bb of the team could give some extra AA power. I wouldn't choose a sector with that tactic, because there is too much change, and the CV player is too inflexible for changing sectors.

AP bombing with different impact angles

The angle of the impact of the bombs depends on the angle of the plane. Take a look at the screenshot in the 'spoiler'. Steep angles of the plane leads to a better impact angle, thus thicker armor could be penetrated, while a shallow angle won't penetrate thick armor, but has the advantage not to over-penetrate thin armor.

Spoiler

bombdrop.thumb.png.8c1c4aa4ee66f4fc376dace9328a1d5e.png

Aiming with AP - dive bomber against light armored vessels (depends also on the AP bombs)

The first example is about a stationary Cruiser and where to start the dive. Look at the grey crosshair. The grey crosshair mostly shows, where the dive bomber will be in the dive stage, thus aiming in front of the cruiser would lead, that the stage after the dive would be directly above the cruiser.

Spoiler

1569410251_CLstationary.thumb.jpg.f2d8bbdd6ccca5d61c0df796615e64d0.jpg

The next screenshot shows how it looks like, if you're above the crusier. The planes are not steep angled, since the dive is already over.

Spoiler

1288186679_CLangle.thumb.jpg.16bad3c2d4c12cc50f12bd641a5a1b49.jpg

Now showing an example for aiming at a moving cruiser, where to start the dive. In many cases you will have to accelerate, since cruisers are pretty fast.

Spoiler

683449988_Cruisermoving.thumb.jpg.8a40492179e2e200a2e9cf58c56e0560.jpg

And another screenshot: this shows, that AP bombs penetrate dds (Kagero). Note: Not all AP bombs work against all light armor vessels, especially T10 AP bombers have a high penetration capability.

Spoiler

1036610503_APagainstDD.thumb.jpg.eb5bbb3c1063529613bbdb5fd8f90739.jpg

Aiming with AP - dive bomber against heavy armored vessels

Against heavy armored targets it's recommended to drop the bomb while the dive. I'm showing you a screenshot, when to start the dive against a stationary bb. The grey crosshair is directly above the BB.

Spoiler

1265282429_BBstationary.thumb.jpg.30570c18edbec794d5b08b04d4e5b432.jpg

The next screenshot shows how it looks like, when to release the bomb. The planes are in a steep angle.

Spoiler

1201909509_BBangle.thumb.jpg.52378d476af7c9a53fb15400a4bff9ba.jpg

Now an example how to aim at a moving BB. It just needs a little bit lead, look at the grey chrosshair, it is aimed at the tip/nose of the BB, since they're slow, and the BB will be at that point, when you start the dive.

Spoiler

2028186051_BBmoving.thumb.jpg.51da350106301cfd2ebde3f9c51e5c5d.jpg

My general advice for AP bombing

Generally I use the AP bombs only against larger cruisers and battle ships, because the ap bomb mechanic and penetration capability is pretty hard to figure out.

The Shokaku can dive bomb dds, while the Hakuryu can't. Also I had the experience, that I divebombed a Buffalo multiple times and got only overpens, but in the training room, shallow or steep bombing - both lead to citadells. So it's still somehow confusing.

Accelerating and slowing down

When the planes are at max speed or slowed down, it will affect the dive. If a target is close, and the squad is accelerated, the squad will often shoot over the target, so it's more recommended to approach a target with normal spead, or slow down. With more experience speeding up can be a pretty good tactic.

Turning

The turning circle is smaller, when slowling down. This is pretty good for Divebomber and sometimes for Torpedobomber. Attackplanes often need some more range and a longer approach. So in case of the attack planes after an attack run - instead of a small turn - I accelerate to get farer away.
Dive bomber = Slow down and turn
Torpedo bomber = Depends more on situation
Attackplanes = Accelerate and turn then

Keyboard and Mouse usage

Keyboard is mostly for maneuvering (avoiding aa), turning and coarse movements. While you should use the mouse for aiming. The mouse control reacts only in a cone of ~45°, outside of this cone area, turning with mouse is disabled. Beside that, the right mouse is for looking around, but it behaves in the same way like it would be with guns, thus the airplanes will move to the spot, where you aimed, before you hold down the right button.

Spoiler

34023453_Mouseaim.thumb.jpg.83f0709d3f01ab5d87f70bf96c9de3de.jpg

The mouse aiming is better, because it is more fine and also doesn't causes much spread with the dispersion like keyboardturning does. I recommend to start a training room and try out the mouse aiming vs. keyboard aiming.

Using Fighters

Generally don't use fighter directly on enemy strike planes, they take too long for the engage. Use them like a smoke to cover a helpess mate (especially dds in caps). You can also fly a head and place the Fighter in front of a DD. Just predict, where the dd or ship want to go and place it there, so it will have a bit cover to take the objective.

Beside that, Wargaming anounced that one fighter kills one enemy planes. Most fighter consumables are more or less same, but the Enterprise has for example 6 fighters, and larger patrol area, while most CVs at T8 have only 3 fighter planes.

• Cool 13
  • Bad 3

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
9 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Nice write-up. Will certainly try the new system 

Thanks for that! I said it already, but it's not a complete guide and I focused a bit more on AP bombs, there is so much to talk about and to consider, and I didn't take any look at the USN CVs... There is a lot to know and it feels like many people don't know this stuff. On streams I see people aiming with keyboard all the time and stuff like that

• Bad 3

[DREAD]
Players
5,694 posts
5,195 battles
2 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Thanks for that! I wrote it, it's not a complete guide and I focused a bit more on AP bombs, there is so much to talk about and to consider, and I didn't take any look at the USN CVs... There is a lot to know and it feels like many people don't know this stuff. On streams I see people aiming with keyboard all the time and stuff like that

And to be fair things might still change with regards to balance. US HE bombers felt for example far more useful to be in the beta but let’s see.

I guess a guide on general controls (wasd and mouse rudder + change speed / use afterburner), AA mechanics, types of squadrons, aiming and what to do (or not) with your CV ship and how to

call in fighters is pretty useful!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
1 hour ago, teen_geisha16 said:

pikkozoicumI think you have too few cv battles to teach others how to play.

Are any of my mentioned tips wrong? I could change it, if I wrote anything wrong. Beside that, How do you know, how many reworked CV battles I have?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Players
156 posts
8,362 battles
1 hour ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Are any of my mentioned tips wrong? I could change it, if I wrote anything wrong. Beside that, How do you know, how many reworked CV battles I have?

i looked your player profile in:

https://worldofwarships.eu/es/community/accounts/544046701-teen_geisha16/!/pvp/overview/

its mine profile.you can search any player here.

I do not know how you can support a system of cvs so poor but I guess the current one must be something difficult for you.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
6 minutes ago, teen_geisha16 said:

i looked your player profile in:

https://worldofwarships.eu/es/community/accounts/544046701-teen_geisha16/!/pvp/overview/

its mine profile.you can search any player here.

I do not know how you can support a system of cvs so poor but I guess the current one must be something difficult for you.

This is offtopic. This thread is about to explain some mechanics to beginners, who just started to play the CV, and who have no idea about the mechanics. There are different feedback threads, if you want give a feedback, or if you have to say something personally to me, there is a pm system.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[MIRAI]
Players
135 posts
7,761 battles
21 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

This is offtopic. This thread is about to explain some mechanics to beginners, who just started to play the CV, and who have no idea about the mechanics. There are different feedback threads, if you want give a feedback, or if you have to say something personally to me, there is a pm system.

@Pikkozoikum Thank you very much for the tutorial! This clears out most of the things I was wondering about the new gameplay. It's thanks to the people like you that we have a nice atmosphere full of sharing here.

Even if you have played a single game in new CVs, you can provide a lot of useful information to those who could not even play once. If you played 2 games in new CVs, you can help those who played once. If you played 3 games, you can help those who played 2 games.

+1

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,791 posts
14,175 battles

Follow these simple instructions and you too can be a 200k average damage unicum!

- join the USN CV master race

- get a Midway

- get Demolition Expert

- spam HVAR rockets

Yes, that's it.

Yes, I am actually serious.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[HOUSE]
Players
211 posts
4,459 battles
50 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Follow these simple instructions and you too can be a 200k average damage unicum!

- get a Midway

- get Demolition Expert

- spam HVAR rockets

Yes, that's it.

It is stupid if it is that easy (have not tried rework), I would however enjoy the possibilities of different captain builds for different types of planes you like, so you can spec into HVAR-build, or torpedo-build etc. since we have so few carrier lines to chose from.

• Bad 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
12 hours ago, Fubucky said:

@Pikkozoikum Thank you very much for the tutorial! This clears out most of the things I was wondering about the new gameplay. It's thanks to the people like you that we have a nice atmosphere full of sharing here.

Even if you have played a single game in new CVs, you can provide a lot of useful information to those who could not even play once. If you played 2 games in new CVs, you can help those who played once. If you played 3 games, you can help those who played 2 games.

+1

Glad to hear :)

There is still a lot to figure out

• Bad 2

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
435 battles
On 12/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, Pikkozoikum said:

I recommend to chose a zig zag course with your carrier,

ROFL. The play is designed for CV anchoring & simply launching, flying planes, attacking & reloading the next endless squadron. Zig zagging? ROFL.  Way point motoring? ROFL.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:28 PM, teen_geisha16 said:

I guess the current one must be something difficult for you.

You got that right.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:39 PM, Pikkozoikum said:

if you want give a feedback

I do. No amount of explanation will mask the FARCE that is the CV rework. *edited

On 1/1/2019 at 1:37 AM, El2aZeR said:

get a Midway

I won't play any reworked CV FARCE, tyvm. I will try to sink any I encounter (& I will be hunting for them).

*edited

Just what anyone who won't be playing these FARCES really needs, lol.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Players
3,950 posts
7,520 battles

@anteanPost editing is hard yo

9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- get a Midway

- get Demolition Expert

- spam HVAR rockets

Yes, that's it.

What about Tiny Tims? Workable or case of 457mm Conqueror guns?

• Bad 1

[SB]
Players
52 posts
1,339 battles

*edited*

He's very salty about the removal of the RTS style. Granted, a lot of CV mains are (and I'm no exception don't get me wrong) but most of us have the good manners to not spout it everywhere. I do appreciate the guide so far, I have yet to try the public test myself. While I sincerely doubt the gameplay will grow on me,  tips are welcome.

@antean Calm down, how about expanding a little more on how the class is broken rather than angrily ranting at people trying to make the best of it. The ship is sinking - stop running around hitting people with a squeaky mallet and instead get them to the lifeboats.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
4 hours ago, antean said:

You got that right.

It's not about the skill of players, it's about the experience. Many people don't know, how to play the reworked CV and just do a lot wrong. Even good players like Farazelleth do a lot mistakes, when I watched his stream (no shaming, just a fact). I just want, that people get a better idea, how something work. Especially because there are many people, who are scratching only on the surface of that gameplay, but act like they were professionals.

• Bad 2

[DREAD]
Players
5,694 posts
5,195 battles
1 hour ago, MadGunna said:

He's very salty about the removal of the RTS style. Granted, a lot of CV mains are (and I'm no exception don't get me wrong) but most of us have the good manners to not spout it everywhere. I do appreciate the guide so far, I have yet to try the public test myself. While I sincerely doubt the gameplay will grow on me,  tips are welcome.

@antean Calm down, how about expanding a little more on how the class is broken rather than angrily ranting at people trying to make the best of it. The ship is sinking - stop running around hitting people with a squeaky mallet and instead get them to the lifeboats.

I get his is salty but that doesn’t mean he needs to behave childish.

You are right about the rest. Rework will come and a lot of people won’t like it. But the current state needs to change. I am at least curious 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[HOUSE]
Players
211 posts
4,459 battles
2 hours ago, MadGunna said:

He's very salty about the removal of the RTS style. Granted, a lot of CV mains are

Except that he is just a raging new player and a troll believing CV is crap and overpowered. Less than 300 games, second most played ship is sealclubbing in St Louis, max tier grinded is 5, bought a Massachusetts and ZERO CV games logged. 

• Funny 1

[SB]
Players
52 posts
1,339 battles
16 minutes ago, affie said:

Except that he is just a raging new player and a troll believing CV is crap and overpowered. Less than 300 games, second most played ship is sealclubbing in St Louis, max tier grinded is 5, bought a Massachusetts and ZERO CV games logged. 

... what.

*checks*

Profile says as of 1/1/2019, 14:23 UTC:

121  (43.53%)
Battleships

0  (0.00%)
Aircraft carriers

110  (39.57%)
Cruisers

47  (16.91%)
Destroyers

My face right now:

tptasOn.jpg

• Funny 7

[HOUSE]
Players
211 posts
4,459 battles
23 minutes ago, MadGunna said:

Profile says as of 1/1/2019, 14:23 UTC:

121  (43.53%)
Battleships

0  (0.00%)
Aircraft carriers

110  (39.57%)
Cruisers

47  (16.91%)
Destroyers

When someone spends more time in the forum than actually playing the game I'm getting suspicious. :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,791 posts
14,175 battles
7 hours ago, Panocek said:

457mm Conq guns. Just go with the HVARs, they're far easier to use too.

• Cool 1

Moderators
38 posts
64 battles

Hello guys,

I cleaned this thread. Please follow our Forum rules.

Thank you! :Smile_coin:

Have a nice evening! :Smile_medal:

• Cool 2

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
435 battles
19 hours ago, affie said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, right, wrong, right, wrong & right. 5Ws & 3Rs. Let me clarify ….

raging old player, not trolling, does not believe current CVs are crap or overpowered, less than 300 battles in EU (but not in NA), I random what I play so I do not purposefully seal club, correct max tier ground in EU is T5, did not buy the Mass - got it for free (lol), also gifted an Asashio (fyi), zero CV battles here & won't play them here now (plenty of CVs in NA, fyi).

*edited

18 hours ago, affie said:

When someone spends more time in the forum than actually playing the game I'm getting suspicious. 

I like to counter actual Trolls and/or WG Zombies.

20 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

but act like they were professionals.

So, Pikkozoikum, 'you' are the 'professional'?  ROFL.  Nothing you say will obscure the fact that the reworked CVs are complete FARCES & the majority of forum posters think the same.

Edited by flashmove_iron
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate content.
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,183 posts
6,484 battles
On 1/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, Panocek said:

@anteanPost editing is hard yo

I didn't played  much the USN CVs, but I would advice to the penetration capability. The multi rockets have 33 mm and the tiny tims 68. There is the Question, for what do you want use it and do you need 68 mm?

My experience was, that the USN focused on rockets as ne specialsation, just like the IJN have a special trait for torpedos. So the rockets are strong and with 33 mm you can damage dds and cruisers pretty well.

I don't mind if the rockets of the USN are really strong, if that's there special trait, I like that idea

15 hours ago, antean said:

So, Pikkozoikum, 'you' are the 'professional'?  ROFL.  Nothing you say will obscure the fact that the reworked CVs are complete FARCES & the majority of forum posters think the same.

Never said that. But I know more than the majority, which thinks to know everything about the rework after one battle or watching one video.

As I said, I observed on stream often, that people didn't figured out, how to aim. I saw good players AP bombing a Midway in a shallow angle - the bombs bounces off. I saw good players aiming without the mouse, but with the keyboard. Those players are in general good, but they are lacking on experience.

If someone starts with something new, those person has a shallow knowledge about the new stuff until he spent more time into it.

• Bad 3

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
435 battles
15 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

But I know more than the majority

So, you know more than the majority?. ROFL.  OK, Narcissus, you keep thinking that. You saw poor players not good, don't you mean, bouncing AP bombs off a Midway.

How can a good player do that? Wouldn't the good player know better? Did you record the profiles of these players play you examined & found wanting?

Did you?  I didn't think so. Therefore, Pikkozoikum, you can stop with your 'lies' now.  Why you haven't even, by your own admission, played the USN CVs 'much'.

The CV rework is a FARCE. The majority of forum posters here 'know' that. I'll vote for the majority opinion on this argument, Pikkozoikum, *edited

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1