You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
affie

RN secondary armament penetration, intended or not?

4 comments in this topic

Question

[HOUSE]
Players
205 posts
4,417 battles

Liking the secondary builds for he fun they give me, I theory crafted a secondary spec Duke of York with her hydro acoustic search and 4 turrets on each side.

Using the WIKI-page I read and quote the following:

1. Start with the shell diameter in mm.
  2. Multiply by a factor:
  • 1/4 for British battleships, German battleships (including 150 and 128 mm secondaries), German cruisers (tiers IV-X), and Japanese 100mm guns (Primaries and secondaries).
  • 1/6 for all other shells.

2. Here are some common armor thicknesses and the minimum HE shell diameters needed to penetrate them, according to the HE penetration formula. "Super" refers to the enhanced HE penetration of British battleships, German cruisers, and German battleships.

3. Secondary weapons are also impacted by these rules, and are subject to the same Super HE rules as the primary guns. For instance, the 128mm secondary guns of Großer Kurfürst and Gneisenau can penetrate 30mm of armor without IFHE, and 32mm with.

With this information, which I understood gave me Super HE rules on my secondaries since it doesn´t state primary or secondary for the RN battleships the Duke of York would have given me 33.25 mm penetration value. But while in port I found that my secondaries did only penetrate 21 mm of armor, i.e. following under the 1/6 penetration rule. I know that there aren´t any good builds for RN secondaries due to their short lenght but I thought maybe at T7 I can get one just for fun, but it was really disappointing when I found that the rules stated in WIKI did not apply (to bad I noticed this after I had invested captain and upgrades on my Duke). 

So the question I have, why doesn´t WIKI state that the Super HE rule only is valid for RN primary armaments and why all these different penetration rules on one ship (also valid for Scharnhorst 105  mmvs 150 mm secondaries), and is this intended for RN secondaries?

3 answers to this question

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,435 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, affie sagte:

why doesn´t WIKI state that the Super HE rule only is valid for RN primary armaments

It kind of does. It says for the others that secondaries are included in the rule, but it doesn't say so for RN BBs.

why all these different penetration rules on one ship

Balancing.

is this intended for RN secondaries?

Yes, the role that WG wanted to give to RN BBs was not close combat.

[HOUSE]
Players
205 posts
4,417 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

It kind of does. It says for the others that secondaries are included in the rule, but it doesn't say so for RN BBs.

Yes, but it is a bit cloudy I think. But it was stupid of me to equip the ship and captain before checking the values in the game, that's where the real deal is found. 

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
368 posts
7,254 battles

I have made some changes in an attempt to clarify this particular information on the wiki pages refered to above.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

• Cool 1