You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Iskander23

Major fps problems...18 - 20 fps in brawls

40 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
279 battles

Seriously what is it with this game???

So I start every match at normal 60 - 70 frames per second. As the match goes on and we start spotting the enemy ships it starts dropping to around 50 which is still decent.

As soon as the actual fighting starts the frame rate just can't handle anything. It drops to about 30 and then if I'm lucky enough to be shot at by more than one ship, which tends to happen when you get spotted in a DD, the frame rate crawls to 20, sometimes even 15, making you confused and disoriented because you just can't fight back or doge missiles. This doesn't happen all the time, the game runs fine sometimes, but that only lasts a few days. I had this happen to me on wifi, cable connection and even different networks, so the internet is not the issue here. My laptop is capable of handling games that have more requirements than WoW and this thing never happens on those games.

Does anybody have a fix for this or did anyone experience anything similar?

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,235 battles

don't happen to me and don't know anyone else that has fps drops like that

tbh if its only just started recently you may have a graphics card issue

I would download a gfx monitor and run that while gaming to see if its your gfx

[ADRIA]
Players
4,250 posts
6,795 battles

So I'm not the only one? Interesting

This feels like the old FPS issues, just that instead of popping up after multiple games played they now can show up even in your 1st match...

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles
1 hour ago, Iskander23 said:

Seriously what is it with this game???

So I start every match at normal 60 - 70 frames per second. As the match goes on and we start spotting the enemy ships it starts dropping to around 50 which is still decent.

As soon as the actual fighting starts the frame rate just can't handle anything. It drops to about 30 and then if I'm lucky enough to be shot at by more than one ship, which tends to happen when you get spotted in a DD, the frame rate crawls to 20, sometimes even 15, making you confused and disoriented because you just can't fight back or doge missiles. This doesn't happen all the time, the game runs fine sometimes, but that only lasts a few days. I had this happen to me on wifi, cable connection and even different networks, so the internet is not the issue here. My laptop is capable of handling games that have more requirements than WoW and this thing never happens on those games.

Post your specs please.

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles
1 hour ago, Iskander23 said:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz

GeForce GTX 960M

8 GB RAM

Those are very low specs... Although theoretically they should be able to run the game, but then again, those specs dont tell the whole story, because thats a laptop cpu and laptop gpu, so i assume you are sitting on a laptop.

Laptops tend to have very inadequate cooling, so whats probably happening is that your cpu gets too hot, and thus throttles itself down, lowering its performance significantly. This phenomenon is called thermal throttling.

• Cool 2

[AS13]
Players
1,874 posts
2,034 battles
6 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Those are very low specs... Although theoretically they should be able to run the game, but then again, those specs dont tell the whole story, because thats a laptop cpu and laptop gpu, so i assume you are sitting on a laptop.

Laptops tend to have very inadequate cooling, so whats probably happening is that your cpu gets too hot, and thus throttles itself down, lowering its performance significantly. This phenomenon is called thermal throttling.

The problem is it doesn't have any dedicated memory. That is why it runs hot.

Those 8 GB ram get used for everything, it will run WOWS in a nice setting... until something happens.

I run it on a desktop, i5, 8GB but with an ATi Radeon 4GB, which is plenty to run it full on.

My son runs it on an i3 which is slightly slower, and a 2GB Nvidea card - also runs flawlessly. 

Laptops tend to be named 'gaming proof'but in reality indeed they can't handle it.

Players
4 posts
279 battles
2 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

The problem is it doesn't have any dedicated memory. That is why it runs hot.

Those 8 GB ram get used for everything, it will run WOWS in a nice setting... until something happens.

I run it on a desktop, i5, 8GB but with an ATi Radeon 4GB, which is plenty to run it full on.

My son runs it on an i3 which is slightly slower, and a 2GB Nvidea card - also runs flawlessly. 

Laptops tend to be named 'gaming proof'but in reality indeed they can't handle it.

As I mentioned in my original post I have no problems like this with other games with higher requirements than WoW, even multiplayer games like Heroes of the Storm.

So doesn't that mean that WoW has an issue with laptops which should be fixed?

[AS13]
Players
1,874 posts
2,034 battles
1 minute ago, Iskander23 said:

As I mentioned in my original post I have no problems like this with other games with higher requirements than WoW, even multiplayer games like Heroes of the Storm.

I'm not that savvy with programming, but I'd say it probably isn't very optimised for multi-threading.

There is no difference between my 64-bit and my sons 32 bit in performance. I have seen it before in games,

before we had W7 a fat dual-core could be better than having a quad-core processor. 

I could be way off though on this, it is just a suspicion.

Maybe try running it as 'W7 compatible' or something. 

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles
11 minutes ago, Iskander23 said:

As blub said, wows has little to no multithreading capability, but i think the biggest issue is that it pretty much constantly runs your gpu at 100%, even in port. And in battle it will run the cpu at max capacity on one of the cores. All in all this builds up heat. It might ofc also be ram related if you have no dedicated vram, check your ram usage while playing a match when you get your fps drops.

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
279 battles

10 hours ago, thiextar said:

As blub said, wows has little to no multithreading capability, but i think the biggest issue is that it pretty much constantly runs your gpu at 100%, even in port. And in battle it will run the cpu at max capacity on one of the cores. All in all this builds up heat. It might ofc also be ram related if you have no dedicated vram, check your ram usage while playing a match when you get your fps drops.

I played a few matches this morning and checked everything while I was playing. The GPU runs at 100% just like you said but the RAM doesn't go above 70%.

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles
19 minutes ago, Iskander23 said:

I played a few matches this morning and checked everything while I was playing. The GPU runs at 100% just like you said but the RAM doesn't go above 70%.

You can also use a program to monitor your cpu temperature while playing. Core temp or something similar works well: https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Id suggest to use this, and see if the temp ever spikes above or close to 90 degrees.

[AS13]
Players
1,874 posts
2,034 battles
3 hours ago, Iskander23 said:

As well it shouldn't - the average use of RAM "full speed" is ~70%, maybe 80 in a speedtest.

This is because it gets, how do you call that, "swapped".

If the RAM is used 100% then nothing will function anymore, that 30% is "swap room". 

If your RAM go0es full then the harddisk will use a swap-file as "extra memory"... which is why it can stutter.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
535 posts

Yes. Got massive framedrops too.

Got a 1080 card

16bg ram

i-7 cpu

Game is completely vanilla. And no, I didn't have this problem last patch.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,198 posts
11,706 battles

Here as well. Especially in a tense combat situation the game suddenly changes to a photo projector. Started after the previous patch. Before that never this problem.

i7-6700 @ 3.4  16 GB

Players
38 posts

Same probem. PC has i5-7400, rx470 8GB, 16Gb ram 2400MHz, SSD Samsung EVO. Not having problems with other games. I am an it guy, i think the pc is quite ok, optimization was never a problem, temps are all just fine. The game eats a lot of resources even when sitting in port.

Players
406 posts
4,215 battles

thought I was the only one here with that issue. this game has massive optimization issues.  I have a 7890K with RX580 8G 32G ram that runs most games on ultra with ease.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
479 posts
8,299 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 8:54 PM, Iskander23 said:

Yes, 70+fps at the start, drops over the match to around 30 and stutters. Potato pc: amd 64 x2 5600+, 3 gigs of ram, geforce gt 640, windows 7 64bit.

[TIPC]
Players
349 posts
16,227 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 10:15 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

So I'm not the only one? Interesting

This feels like the old FPS issues, just that instead of popping up after multiple games played they now can show up even in your 1st match...

i have exactly  the same problem as OP mentioned in the last patch..i just sent a ticket because the game has become  unplayable for me..even in the old fps issues i didnt have such a big problem like the fps drops and lags i have in this very patch...

[BOATY]
Players
550 posts
8,583 battles

Last patch gave me insane GPU temperature overloads, so my laptop lowers the GPU performance... this results in in massive FPS drops. 

Happens in brawls, around massive daka-daka and around torpedoes... As large numbers of those are on my screen as worse it gets. 

Had no problems to keep 60 fps in same situations prior 0.7.12!

P. S. And the guys with desktop GPUs... You will barely notice such problems. 

[TTT]
Players
407 posts
9,085 battles
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, Iskander23 said:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz

GeForce GTX 960M

8 GB RAM

That is quite potato spec. Try to lower the texture, AA, PP, shadows and effects. The load difference is huge between an actual battle and a spawn zone.

[JRM]
Players
947 posts
13,484 battles

Had same thing once or twice, last right after i finally upgraded to an ssd just some 2-3 weeks ago, reduced graphics bit to no big awail, next game start maxed out graphics - normal 60-70 fps in same sort of a brawl, seems it some random bug

[AWG]
Beta Tester
212 posts
3,814 battles
1 hour ago, Exohoritis said:

That is quite potato spec. Try to lower the texture, AA, PP, shadows and effects. The load difference is huge between an actual battle and a spawn zone.

A Skylake i7 is quite potato?... Seriously?

Even the 960 is STILL a capable card even in mobile version.  I've got a 1070 with core i5 and its all SSD, and I experience these frame drops during dakka dakka, brawls and too many CV planes, just like @Episparh. And turning down the settings makes no difference so its clearly an issue with the game engine. I used to run everything maxxed out with zero issues, constant 80-90 FPS.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
479 posts
8,299 battles
27 minutes ago, blademansw said:

during dakka dakka, brawls and too many CV planes

Sound stutters massively during those as well, that might be the cause.