Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

DD meta in Random games pretty good at the moment..?

High tier DD-meta in Random games  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is the in-class meta for high tier dds decently fair at the moment?

• Yes, all dds can be played effectively in Random games. Not suited in all situations, but there's a role to fill in most games.
    • Yes, it's decent, but one or a few dds are too strong/too weak - explanation below
    • No, high tier, in-class dd meta isn't fair because - explanation below
    • No, it's totally broken
    • Other

10 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
3,688 posts
14,479 battles

While I think the YY nerf was a bit too much, I think YY needed a nerf a long time ago. It was king of dds for a while and very fun to play.

The good thing is that you aren't handicapping yourself by not playing the YY anymore. Most dds can be played in suitable situations, while some happens more frequently than others. Although, I haven't unlocked all tier 10 dds yet. Those I have are all decent imo - Gearing, YY, Shima and Harugumo, in different roles. To me it looks like Daring is the new top dd, but not as strong as the old YY.

From my perspective, high tier dd meta is perhaps more fair than ever.

Agree/disagree? What your take on high tier dd meta? Has WG succeeded?

Players
2,291 posts
11,914 battles

I’d say high Tier DD’s are in a good place. Shima has had a gun buff. YY although nerfed is still playable. Harugumo has great fun but is slow and easy to target in its smoke with torps and you can out detect it. Gearing is still the best all rounder and team DD. Daring is a great cap defender. Z-52 is a great cap taker. Grozovoi is now a solid DD with great AA. Khaba is still fun to play and great at harassing BB’s and gunning down line DD’s. 

That’s my thoughts anyway.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

YY was not that strong, in CW yes as you had organized teams but in Randoms there are a lot of radar predators which make your 26s or so 7.4km radar look pathetic. 

Plus having DWT meant other DDs could ruin your day and you would not be able to try the same thing back. A Gearing always had your number in a 1v1 if they were not dumb enough to hide in their own smoke. Gearing's extra armour paid off even without YY nerfs.

I'm keen to see what Daring and Haru are like although I'm tired of grinding and I don't want to pay FXP :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,688 posts
14,479 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

YY was not that strong, in CW yes as you had organized teams but in Randoms there are a lot of radar predators which make your 26s or so 7.4km radar look pathetic. 

Plus having DWT meant other DDs could ruin your day and you would not be able to try the same thing back. A Gearing always had your number in a 1v1 if they were not dumb enough to hide in their own smoke. Gearing's extra armour paid off even without YY nerfs.

I'm keen to see what Daring and Haru are like although I'm tired of grinding and I don't want to pay FXP :Smile_hiding:

Don't agree to your thoughts on YY. Stick to all-guns strategy on YY and you'd beat Gearing in most fights before the nerf. YY had concealment advantage, always smoke ready and much more nimble than Gearing. IFHE made that extra Gearing armour useless. I get if you played YY with torp focus, but YY could have the upper hand against most, if not all dds, until 6 months or so ago. 

The problem how I see it, is that WG nerfed YY based on old stats, when YY really was OP.

I'm on Jutland atm and grinding the RN dd line has been decent fun. Seems like a strong line all throughout. One line that I don't have the patience to grind - the Russian :Smile_sceptic: 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
9 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Don't agree to your thoughts on YY. Stick to all-guns strategy on YY and you'd beat Gearing in most fights before the nerf. YY had concealment advantage, always smoke ready and much more nimble than Gearing. IFHE made that extra Gearing armour useless. I get if you played YY with torp focus, but YY could have the upper hand against most, if not all dds, until 6 months or so ago. 

The problem how I see it, is that WG nerfed YY based on old stats, when YY really was OP.

I'm on Jutland atm and grinding the RN dd line has been decent fun. Seems like a strong line all throughout. One line that I don't have the patience to grind - the Russian :Smile_sceptic: 

Hmm true if the YY specced  IFHE although I didn't. The concealment different wasn't decisive although the smaller size was significant. I just think WG didn't need to drop the gun DPM by that sort of margin. I found the YY advantage was vs people who smoked up and didn't realise you could free farm them or the hordes of Shima who are easy prey vs most gunboats.

I grinded out both RU lines, Grozo might become relevant if the CVs hard counter non AA DDs. And I grinded Khaba just before it's rudder got nerfed, it used to be stupidly OP with the fast rudder and 10km torps... Now it's almost fair.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,688 posts
14,479 battles
10 hours ago, Negativvv said:

I grinded out both RU lines, Grozo might become relevant if the CVs hard counter non AA DDs. And I grinded Khaba just before it's rudder got nerfed, it used to be stupidly OP with the fast rudder and 10km torps... Now it's almost fair.

Although, Grozo doesn't seem weak at the moment. It's kind of relevant already from what it seems. Even Z-52 which was in a pretty weak spot earlier seems to be in a relatively good place. If I had to point at a weak tier 10 dd in Random games now, I'd probably look at YY. It's not terrible, it just lacks offensive power to deal with most other dds. Still good defensively, but now very reliant of teammates.

Players
209 posts
8,543 battles

Off the top of my head, I think the z-52 really needs some work, her gun power and torps are so lack luster, not to mention her not competitive concealment. I think the YY nerf was a bit much, since radar YYs needed a high skill level to pull off.  The Hsieng Yang is crap atm, 4 guns, with DW benson torp clones. The Mahan, faragut and blyska are pretty bad in my opinion currently. But over all, the meta in the higher tiers is ok. The gradual removal of stealth radar has been a good change. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
6 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Although, Grozo doesn't seem weak at the moment. It's kind of relevant already from what it seems. Even Z-52 which was in a pretty weak spot earlier seems to be in a relatively good place. If I had to point at a weak tier 10 dd in Random games now, I'd probably look at YY. It's not terrible, it just lacks offensive power to deal with most other dds. Still good defensively, but now very reliant of teammates.

Both Grozo and Z52 are fairly similar all rounders I find. As neither are the best at what they do but can do most stuff okay. 

Great in Random Battles if you're not over ambitious as both can accomplish most things.

Too bad Z LM is utter garbage when then Grozo one is possibly viable...

WG have only just nerfed YY, they won't rebuff for awhile just to prove they're right :Smile_sceptic: I actually feel with the weapons nerfs they could give YY both radar and smoke. :Smile_hiding:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,752 posts
7,252 battles

My clan still use YY in CB, the radar is still a great advantage on that ship, despite the nerf, but it's clearly a ship which sole purpose is to spot the other DD and helps its team gun it down. In FFA the nerf hit it way too hard.

I think DD are mostly fine right now, but as a class I also do think they would need to be stronger overall. Having 60-70% of the average damage of others classes in tier X seems meh.

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
895 posts
8,488 battles

They are in a good spot overall, but:

-The yy nerf was too much even though i don't  have it

- gearing might need a very little buff

-z52 also might need some buff somewhere ( maybe a 1/4 pen on the guns like all the germans, as it is their traits)

-harogumo is too strong, but not against bbs but dds, it need a concelament nerf so it cannot jumpnuke dds, however it needs the bb ap penetration  rule to be removed, because it has no sense that it eats full pen when it has no armour unlike  khaba. And maybe his speed nerfed to 34-35 knots,  2 weeks ago it was insane to see our gearing that couldn't  escape from an harogumo

-khaba need some sort of love, right now the grozovoi outkhaba the khaba