Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

World of Weirdships - Ironclads - Discussion Thread

13 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
46 posts

Ah Carnet, a perfect example of how the French naval designers completely lost it.  Think it's covered (French pre-dreadnoughts certainly are) by Drachinifel's naval YouTube series - well worth a watch (I'm only a subscriber, not connected).

BTW largest gun on a British warship was the 18" (460mm) guns initially put on HMS Furious, and then moved to a number of monitors.  HMS General Wolfe certainly fired her gun in anger before the end of the Great War, though not very much.

[RDBF]
[RDBF]
Alpha Tester
24 posts
4,286 battles
Weekend Tester
39 posts
1,463 battles

Kinda missed the USS Monitor in that line up :)

Yeah we had a few in Denmark too @MorfeusDK

[ROHAN]
Players
4 posts

"Ironclads" could be developed into a "tier" of its own. However - perhaps WoWs should get an "Age of Sail" branch instead. Many more historical ships to develop into gaming pieces. There would have to be boarding actions of course, fortress action, corvettes and frigates could hunt NPC merchant vessels. Difficult to develop yes. But where shall we go after submarines (and possibly early missile ships) when that day comes ?

• Cool 1

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

Very interesting article, thank you!

I'm a sucker for anything inbetween the Age of Sail and Dreadnought, that frantical age of innovation, with so many possibilities, but also so many dead ends. I kind of wish for WoWs to touch on these designs, but I highly doubt sail ships are a good idea - besides, Naval Action already tackles that fairly well, as long as the combat is concerned at least.

[LIEGE]
Players
7 posts
12 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

Very interesting article, thank you!

I'm a sucker for anything inbetween the Age of Sail and Dreadnought, that frantical age of innovation, with so many possibilities, but also so many dead ends. I kind of wish for WoWs to touch on these designs, but I highly doubt sail ships are a good idea - besides, Naval Action already tackles that fairly well, as long as the combat is concerned at least.

Thank You for that Naval Action tip. 

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Beta Tester
270 posts

Early morning, got my coffee, I read the news article and see what the url guy did. 

*chuckles*

Thank you, url guy. Never stop. 

Players
1 post
58 battles

Somebody already mentioned the USS Monitor, but the CSS Virginia (most notably remembered as the "Merrimack" or incorrectly, the "Merrimac") has to be mentioned as technically the first "ironclad" and for its part in the world's first battle of ironclads at the Battle of Hampton Roads on March 9, 1862.

[WGP2W]
Players
746 posts
13,044 battles

The lower fore-end was reserved for one massive turret that would house 2x 111-ton, 413 mm, breech-loading guns: the largest guns ever to be used on any British warship in history (bigger than the HMS Nelson’s 406 mm main battery!).

That's not strictly true. The monitors General Wolfe and Lord Clive were fitted with 149 ton heavy 457mm guns (BL 18" Mk I) towards the end of WWI. They were even used to bombard enemy positions (although Lord Clive only shot 4 rounds).

[BOTES]
Community Contributor
243 posts
8,285 battles

Not so much the ships as the gun - but the Royal Navy was still using muzzle-loaders in 1885 (!) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RML_12.5-inch_38-ton_gun