You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Alaska & Flint - Awww Yeahhh however should "reward" ships like the Flint be available to "buy"?

29 comments in this topic

Players
1,344 posts
5,355 battles

Awwwwwwwwww Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :Smile_teethhappy: 

shot-18_12.22_20_42.41-0854.jpg.ec653f6ce10f23ca34760983da3a76d6.jpg  shot-18_12.22_20.47_12-0006.jpg.b48c7fcbb1596636e7ffe6db87bfb2ec.jpg

Just ticked over the 1M mark a few minutes ago and nearly finished the PEF Steel Missions. I'm pretty excited about the T9 Alaska but as a huge Atlanta fan I'm most excited about the Flint TBH and I almost can't wait til the 25th when the 25% discount voucher hits and I can get it.

However, as truly excited as I am part of me can't help but feel that "reward" ships like the Flint shouldn't really be available to "buy" as I haven't "earned" any of the Steel I've got (via being a Whale with a PEF), which makes me feel bad for those who have worked hard in Ranked/Clan Wars for long enough that they have genuinely earned this ship so I';m torn between the two camps - I want the ship but don't think I should be able to "buy" it.

What do you guys think? Should "reward" ships be left as just that, ships earned for performances or are WG right in allowing them to be bought by folks like me (never played Clan Wars/Ranked etc)?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Players
3,596 posts
7,320 battles

WG is clearly trying to monetise the game as much as possible now, so expect to see rare and exclusive ships available for $$$$$, more OP premiums, more content locked behind semi-paywalls (T9/10 ranked) and more P2W.

• Cool 8

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles

I was hyped for the Alaska, but since i have seen Flamu play the Azuma, i guess i am going to wait for the Azuma..... that's if WG does not NERF before they release it (just like they did with PEF).

I am also still waiting/hoping for a FXP DD (Neustrashimy?)

160px-Ship_PRSD709_Pr_41_Neustrashimy.pn1.0

• Cool 1

Players
1,677 posts
9,138 battles
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

WG is clearly trying to monetise the game as much as possible now, so expect to see rare and exclusive ships available for $$$$$, more OP premiums, more content locked behind semi-paywalls (T9/10 ranked) and more P2W.

Well they saw how well that went in WoT... So according to WG logic they must repeat that.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
673 posts
7,918 battles
41 minutes ago, MaxxyNL said:

I was hyped for the Alaska, but since i have seen Flamu play the Azuma, i guess i am going to wait for the Azuma..... that's if WG does not NERF before they release it (just like they did with PEF).

I am also still waiting/hoping for a FXP DD (Neustrashimy?)

Well, Azuma is tier.X so it is most likely not a Free XP ship, rather it is a Coal Replacement for Salem, or even more likely a Steel ship.

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,034 posts
16,230 battles
1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

However, as truly excited as I am part of me can't help but feel that "reward" ships like the Flint shouldn't really be available to "buy"

100% true. Giving away prizes for achievements is just killing some part of the game and making any efforts meaningless.

Time will pass and all those Flints, Blacks, Stalins would be just in premium shop. WG will try to monetize every possible thing, meanwhile disgusted playerbase will be smaller and smaller. I see which way it is going, so no more money from me ...

• Cool 3

Quality Poster
3,316 posts
8,375 battles
1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

What do you guys think? Should "reward" ships be left as just that, ships earned for performances or are WG right in allowing them to be bought by folks like me (never played Clan Wars/Ranked etc)?

Make it time gated I'd say. Each reward ship is allowed to be one year 'excuseliv'. After that it's for the public.

Or skip special reward ships in general and give out different rewards.

• Cool 5

[DC-DK]
Players
2,066 posts
23,555 battles

Ships should be available for everyone all of them... Rewards should be limited to cosmetic bragging right items only. Like special Camo's or badges. Things that do not shift balance in anyway.

• Cool 8

[PMI]
Players
2,354 posts
5,547 battles

As it turns out, yes, they should.

Or you mean to say WG should not develop the game how they see fit?

1 hour ago, MMASK said:

Only 1.304 battles yet you have 1M free xp? 

The power of doubloons is unmeasurable.

The OP does however have over 5k games, just FYI...

Players
3,596 posts
7,320 battles
40 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

Well they saw how well that went in WoT... So according to WG logic they must repeat that.

I guess this is the way that game life-cycles and especially F2P ones works:

• introduction - substantial marketing spend to get players;
  • growth - try to retain players and gain new ones by word of mouth, make most of the content open to F2P players with some bonuses available for cash;
  • maturity - maximise average revenue per user (ARPU), more gated content, harsher environment for F2P;
  • decline - F2P users drift away quickly, whales follow over time, new titles appear, in the end the game dies.

I think WG has decided that they've now got all the users they're going to get, the objective is to maximise revenue over the remaining life of the game and inevitably this means that if you're not willing to fork out $$$$ to get to T10 in the latest "totally balanced" line or premium ship, then the game experience is going to get worse and worse for you.

It's very interesting if you google "game life cycle" to see some of the science behind this.

Oh well, it was fun for a while.

• Cool 6

[UNICS]
Players
2,882 posts
12,099 battles

I don't mind them making ships available. Still takes a lot of effort to get the Flint, etc.

8 hours ago, Capra76 said:

I guess this is the way that game life-cycles and especially F2P ones works:

• introduction - substantial marketing spend to get players;
  • growth - try to retain players and gain new ones by word of mouth, make most of the content open to F2P players with some bonuses available for cash;
  • maturity - maximise average revenue per user (ARPU), more gated content, harsher environment for F2P;
  • decline - F2P users drift away quickly, whales follow over time, new titles appear, in the end the game dies.

I think WG has decided that they've now got all the users they're going to get, the objective is to maximise revenue over the remaining life of the game and inevitably this means that if you're not willing to fork out $$$$ to get to T10 in the latest "totally balanced" line or premium ship, then the game experience is going to get worse and worse for you.

It's very interesting if you google "game life cycle" to see some of the science behind this.

Oh well, it was fun for a while.

It's kind of reasonable though. I guess chess or poker holds up pretty well, but for computer games, they can't be expected to last forever. Doesn't hurt to  try and have a rational view of the game and how much you're willing to spend on it over its life cycle. I'll enjoy it as long as I will and spend some money (what I believe is reasonable to spend) to support it, but I'll bail if the economy becomes too intrusive, premium ammo or such. So far it's just ships that I can do without. Still is decent fun imo.

• Cool 4

[BUSHI]
Players
3,034 posts
16,230 battles
1 hour ago, hgbn_dk said:

Ships should be available for everyone all of them... Rewards should be limited to cosmetic bragging right items only. Like special Camo's or badges. Things that do not shift balance in anyway.

So we are waiting for the 2 last restricted ones: Iwaki A and Arkansas B. Most of those players probably do not play this game already and a current playerbase surely want them.

In terms of rewards You are right. Make those prizes such irrevelant that only a few will want to fight for it. GG.

Anyway this is a WG policy to make a new ships OP, becouse only such could be monetized in big quantites. Then they could be "removed" from game and sold in Santa containers.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[D_R_M]
Players
873 posts
15,551 battles
1 hour ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Time will pass and all those Flints, Blacks, Stalins would be just in premium shop. WG will try to monetize every possible thing, meanwhile disgusted playerbase will be smaller and smaller. I see which way it is going, so no more money from me ...

Actually, I think the playerbase will shrink more if to many ships are only available to the best players. Especially since only tier 10 or partly tier 9 is really relevant to play these days. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,034 posts
16,230 battles
13 minutes ago, steviln said:

Actually, I think the playerbase will shrink more if to many ships are only available to the best players. Especially since only tier 10 or partly tier 9 is really relevant to play these days. 

Nobody forced WG to make those prizes OP. In fact people which tested them was against it and playerbase will shrink when realise that there is no rules, but only one - making $$ on their game addiction. Surely a new trend with payed missions and even harder rules to accomplish those free ones will cure some of them now.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
42 posts
6,599 battles

Can't see them making the Arkansas Beta available to all as its so op tier 4 with 6 expansion slots for upgrades

[_OPC_]
Players
360 posts
11,408 battles
5 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Just like in Wot but the plebs will still be happy

• Cool 3

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
252 posts
13,318 battles
10 hours ago, morgoroth said:

Just like in Wot but the plebs will still be happy

So, you will be UNHAPPY wows-elite... :D Question is, if these common players (95% ) are for WG more important then you from economical point of view :)

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,706 battles

I'm having the same thoughts OP. But can't make up my mind.

On one hand indeed the Black/ Flint winners did win them by ranking out a few times. And I think these ships should only be available for those players. It is in line with the bit sour taste I'm having after buying Texas back then. Nowadays they are handed out like candy. I know: I could have the same chance and nobody forced me to buy it but still: I did pay for the ship. Same goes for premium cammo's (the question if that was a sensible choice disregarding in this topic).

On the other hand I don't think Black and Flint were the main goals for Rankers. Should I like Rank enough my prim goal was to reach 1 and not so much the ships. Yes: awesome to win them OC: they'd add to my bragging rights.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,536 battles
1 minute ago, Ferry_25 said:

I'm having the same thoughts OP. But can't make up my mind.

On one hand indeed the Black/ Flint winners did win them by ranking out a few times. And I think these ships should only be available for those players. It is in line with the bit sour taste I'm having after buying Texas back then. Nowadays they are handed out like candy. I know: I could have the same chance and nobody forced me to buy it but still: I did pay for the ship. Same goes for premium cammo's (the question if that was a sensible choice disregarding in this topic).

On the other hand I don't think Black and Flint were the main goals for Rankers. Should I like Rank enough my prim goal was to reach 1 and not so much the ships. Yes: awesome to win them OC: they'd add to my bragging rights.

I am not so sure...they got them for free, early access, now players that pay a lot and they fund the game. The CW/ranked will always be far ahead of the common players. Do not forget it is probably a fraction of players that can reach them that does not already have them which are not in some form or other already in the steel collecting business - as the new steel ships trickle in I guess that many will go for the Stalingrad thus providing incentives to go in more for ranked and CW battles. I have written a lot of responses in various threads so I do not want to repeat them.

Personally I see this as an incentive to play more for the steel rewards - but I do not think I am especially after Flint or Black. Stalinggrad and other more unique designs are more interesting as a naval buff. Therefor also Bourgogne as only a variant of Alsace designwise is less interesting. 

personally I am not fond of locked content in all eternity as a collector. I prefer monetary gains/rewards by all means free ships but not exclusive, as they might tilt the game.

Does Usain Bolt get better shoes after a win? No, he gets prize money medals etc, but the ships are the tools we compete with.

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,706 battles
14 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

I am not so sure...they got them for free, early access, now players that pay a lot and they fund the game. The CW/ranked will always be far ahead of the common players. Do not forget it is probably a fraction of players that can reach them that does not already have them which are not in some form or other already in the steel collecting business - as the new steel ships trickle in I guess that many will go for the Stalingrad thus providing incentives to go in more for ranked and CW battles. I have written a lot of responses in various threads so I do not want to repeat them.

Personally I see this as an incentive to play more for the steel rewards - but I do not think I am especially after Flint or Black. Stalinggrad and other more unique designs are more interesting as a naval buff. Therefor also Bourgogne as only a variant of Alsace designwise is less interesting. 

personally I am not fond of locked content in all eternity as a collector. I prefer monetary gains/rewards by all means free ships but not exclusive, as they might tilt the game.

Does Usain Bolt get better shoes after a win? No, he gets prize money medals etc, but the ships are the tools we compete with.

Good point indeed. Though my wife is always starting to make phone calls when I won a match and took Bolts' poses.... 

• Funny 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,302 posts
6,185 battles
11 hours ago, Xup said:

Can't see them making the Arkansas Beta available to all as its so op tier 4 with 6 expansion slots for upgrades

It's really not that OP