You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
1MajorKoenig

Don’t buy PEF - she sucks hard

547 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles

The title says it all. This ship stinks so hard it’s not even an April fools joke.

- guns have worse pen than any T5 BB

- guns reload slow

- turrets turn slow 

- accuracy is typical BB-bad 

- shells have old-Yorck Airdrag (Moonrakers)

- advertised secondary guns are useless as one would expect as the skill doesn’t work below T7

(wait she’s got long range AA - yey)

Thanks for this royal f**-up for Christmas WG

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Players
2,340 posts
6,671 battles
27 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

The title says it all. This ship stinks so hard it’s not even an April fools joke.

- guns reload slow

- turrets turn slow 

- advertised secondary guns are useless as one would expect as the skill doesn’t work below T7

It was really powerful at first, but they really nerfed her hard before releasing her.

I was planning to actually buy her (just the ship as that price seems ok and I still have some budget left from the halloween crates I ended up never buying).

I especially don't get how they mangled the turret rotation and the guns/shells.

It had great conceilment at first, but that was also nerfed.

Instead of its mediocre guns, it should really get something  extra to make it at least useable I think.

• Cool 3

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
5 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

It was really powerful at first, but they really nerfed her hard before releasing her.

I was planning to actually buy her (just the ship as that price seems ok and I still have some budget left from the halloween crates I ended up never buying).

I especially don't get how they mangled the turret rotation and the guns/shells.

It had great conceilment at first, but that was also nerfed.

Instead of its mediocre guns, it should really get something  extra to make it at least useable I think.

Better reload would probably suffice. It’s the combination of too many drawbacks on the main guns really that kills the fun.

(and this useless AA gimmick - yea)

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
14,699 posts
10,879 battles
49 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

She has petter pen than:

• Bretagne (up to 15km)
  • König (up to 10km)
  • Iron Duke
  • Oktober

And no, her reload is not slow as are her turrets. And her accuracy is very good.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 3

Players
41 posts

This I don´t understand?

"

56 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

advertised secondary guns are useless as one would expect as the skill doesn’t work below T7

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
17 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

It was a decent ship in testing then it received a nerf sledgehammer.

Indeed. What’s so difficult with finding the right balance? It was pretty obvious even before release?

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
1 minute ago, GudmundurG said:

This I don´t understand?

"

Secondaries are pretty useless below T7 as the manual sec skill only gives the relevant accuracy boost for T7+ ships 

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

She has petter pen than:

• Bretagne (up to 15km)
  • König (up to 10km)
  • Iron Duke
  • Oktober

And no, her reload is not slow as are her turrets. And her accuracy is very good.

But all of the above compensate with 2-4 more guns (and they don’t fight T8s).

Again it’s the combination of too many drawbacks on the guns. One or two ok. All at once - not ok.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
4 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Better to release a prem ship and buff it later than to release an OP turd and having to stick with it.

That I could agree with. In case WG would do so. Looking at Duke of York I wouldn’t bet on it.

Plus: the stats have been obviously bad. Anyone with more than one brain cell could have drawn the right conclusions out of these 

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles

What is a problem with PeF ? Comparing to Bayern http://proships.ru/stat/ru/ships/3310,4062/, he is faster, almost the same DPM, faster turret traverse, better accuracy, the same comfortable shell speed, 40% more DPM of secondaries, 30% better AA but ... weak penetration.

Looks like a good brawler to me.

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
3 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

What is a problem with PeF ? Comparing to Bayern http://proships.ru/stat/ru/ships/3310,4062/, he is faster, almost the same DPM, faster turret traverse, better accuracy, the same comfortable shell speed, 40% more DPM of secondaries, 30% better AA but ... weak penetration.

DPM... is a useless figure as PEF fails to realize it. It’s a combination of very poor penetration, high shell drag and no overmatch. Combined with only 8 rifles, Fuso reload and normal German dispersion (a bit lipstick on this pig with 2.0 sigma).

Its the combination of drawbacks on the guns.

PS: Secondaries without manual secs...? Not something to write home about 

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
783 posts
5,238 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

- guns reload slow

- turrets turn slow 

So far I have enjoyed on PEF and I don't call her bad at all. Good Brawler ship and have fine AA. What you can except german BB? Ofc turrets turn slow and reload is fine 28 sec like all BBs.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
18 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

It’s a combination of very poor penetration,

distant BB are the last target for any ship, and penetration od PEF is enough for DD and CA/CL, so the BB <12 km.

high shell drag

the same shell travel time as Bayern ->look at my link

normal German dispersion

this is not true. He has better dispersion.

PS: Secondaries without manual secs...? Not something to write home about 

Playing Bayern I have up to 20K per match from secondaries, so I don't think so ....

This ship has better everything then Bayern but not penetration and I showed You a link, which You don't even opened. Sadly this conversation is a waste of time then.

We all like facts, not only just a lot of words. Where is worse dispertion or slow shells ?

image.thumb.png.516c86513d54d2f00192c7c17faac103.png

image.thumb.png.fb2c62425f577644b3fef013b35ecb81.png

• Cool 3

Modder
3,885 posts
6,947 battles
23 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

She doesn't have the turtle back armor scheme.

Her nose will get easily overmatch by enemy BB.

And she has no close quarter ability in her favour (like torps or hydro).

So she is everything, but never ever a good brawler.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,341 posts
5,207 battles

Never planned on buying it in the first place, especially since you can get it for free. And considering that it does not look terrible. It looks better than the Duke of York and if nothing else it could be a good operations ship.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
12 minutes ago, principat121 said:

She doesn't have the turtle back armor scheme.

Her nose will get easily overmatch by enemy BB.

And she has no close quarter ability in her favour (like torps or hydro).

So she is everything, but never ever a good brawler.

Nowadays every VI and VII BB can be overmatched through nose by many same tier ships (>380mm). Brawling is not about going broadside to other BB anyway. Even Massachusetts without turtle back can brawl. Bayern has nas no hydro or torps either but it's a good brawler. Mine at least is very good at this.

image.thumb.png.c287d3871d44957b8e317e434eae8a8b.png

And PEF had greater speed and even more secondaries. I bet PeF would be not worse then Bayern at close meetings ;-)

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
3 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Just try to play her like a brawler.

Come back and tell us your experiences.

Of course after I will get her/him for free.

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Secondaries are pretty useless below T7 as the manual sec skill only gives the relevant accuracy boost for T7+ ships 

tbf, at T5/6 secondary ranges, the accuracy matters less. Yes, hitting crap is hard, but it's not completely irrelevant. 

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
9 hours ago, Admiral_Noif said:

So far I have enjoyed on PEF and I don't call her bad at all. Good Brawler ship and have fine AA. What you can except german BB? Ofc turrets turn slow and reload is fine 28 sec like all BBs.

Brawler? With 25mm all around above the waterline in combination with these guns?

Are you playing co-op or against T5?

(I didn’t say she is unplayable but she sucks and stinks and is simply not fun. And that is due to her atrocious guns which combine all drawbacks you can have in a single setup)

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
9 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

This ship has better everything then Bayern but not penetration and I showed You a link, which You don't even opened. Sadly this conversation is a waste of time then.

We all like facts, not only just a lot of words. Where is worse dispertion or slow shells ?

image.thumb.png.516c86513d54d2f00192c7c17faac103.png

image.thumb.png.fb2c62425f577644b3fef013b35ecb81.png

I see flight time and accuracy (which must be slightly better as she has Sigma of 2.0 - but it’s still BB accuracy BUT with cruiser punch. That is what sucks)

Do you have a Pen curve by chance as well? Can you include T5 and T6 BBs because König and Kongo feel much punchier but they are also seeing a different MM. 

Appreciate if you can post a pen comparison curve 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,345 posts
14,949 battles

You have played 1 god dam game in her... and she is you best performing tier 6 BB damage wise.... Sorry Way to early to come to such conclusions. She is not that bad. 

Maybe wait for some reviews next time.... Prem douse not mean she must be super powerfull

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[DREAD]
Players
5,120 posts
5,061 battles
9 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Nowadays every VI and VII BB can be overmatched through nose by many same tier ships (>380mm). Brawling is not about going broadside to other BB anyway. Even Massachusetts without turtle back can brawl. Bayern has nas no hydro or torps either but it's a good brawler. Mine at least is very good at this.

image.thumb.png.c287d3871d44957b8e317e434eae8a8b.png

And PEF had greater speed and even more secondaries. I bet PeF would be not worse then Bayern at close meetings ;-)

As Principat explained to you she is not.

She is overmatched by almost all T6-8 BBs she meets as her armor is 25mm all around (considerable armor only below the waterline). So getting into the brawl will already deplete your HP and you can’t trade anything in return because your guns don’t overmatch.

Bayer - good Brawler due to turtleback, distributed armor sheme including bow, guns that overmatch enemy BB’s bows

PEF - bad Brawler due to no turtleback, 25mm armor everywhere (gets overmatched) and your own guns can’t do the same. Neither do they have the redeeming power of Arizona’s or Dunkerque’s shells 

• Cool 1