You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Real_Nurdin

DDs

9 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1 post
672 battles

Im a Nubi, just played 14 days, but all ready found that DDs are the one ship for me, not that im any good. How can I get help to be better? I know about distance and fish range, but I still die

8 answers to this question

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,430 posts
11,419 battles

You can join the HelpMe-Discord for contact to experienced players where you can ask anything you want to know about the game (mechanics, how to skill certain ships etc.)

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/100646-presenting-the-project-help-me-players-helping-players/

It is also very helpful to watch streams of good players (Twitch or Youtube). Most of them will also try to answer your questions and play ships you are interested in if you ask nicely ^^

[STARS]
Players
363 posts

Go through the contents of Flame and Notser on YouTube. They review all the ships and give advice on how each destroyer should be played and with what modules and captain builds.

Players
1,129 posts
8,974 battles
Vor 21 Stunden, The_Real_Nurdin sagte:

Im a Nubi, just played 14 days, but all ready found that DDs are the one ship for me, not that im any good. How can I get help to be better? I know about distance and fish range, but I still die

Remember your ABK ("Always Be Kiting").

Don't skip any tiers. Don't progress beyond Tier V for the next few weeks. Instead, unlock all of the low tier DDs and play them a lot.

Unlock a single Cruiser and BB line, either Japanese or USA, including the Tier IV aircraft carrier (ideally also Tier V) and play those ships a little, just to see what it's like fighting DDs from their perspective. This will help you better understand some of what the heck some of the other players are doing. Your opponents as well as your own team mates!

Go to the Wiki and read the page on Consumables, especially Hydroacoustic Search and Surveillance Radar.

On Youtube, for starters, watch the Flamu video on the low tier German DDs, and any of his videos on low tier DDs really. The Tenryu video is also very good. Actually I'd be hard pressed to find a bad Flamu video, he used to do a whole "low tier guide" series. Some of the content is obsolete because of changes in some game mechanics, like the smoke firing penalty. He also changed his opinion on some issues like the first Captain skill, where he increasingly prefers PT over PM these days, especially for gun boats. You need to figure that out. But many basic tenets still hold.

Once you make some progress in restraining your recklessness,  and start to encounter radar ships with increasing frequency, start watching any kind of Flambass videos where he plays a DD. There are a few from the last Ranked Sprint in the Nicholas that make an excellent start. He doesn't lay out his points as methodically as Flamu but only drops the occasional nugget of wisdom, so you need to watch what he actually does, compare it to what you yourself would have done differently, and keep drawing your own conclusions.

[-5D4-]
Players
47 posts
1,392 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Remember your ABK ("Always Be Kiting").

Don't skip any tiers. Don't progress beyond Tier V for the next few weeks. Instead, unlock all of the low tier DDs and play them a lot.

Unlock a single Cruiser and BB line, either Japanese or USA, including the Tier IV aircraft carrier (ideally also Tier V) and play those ships a little, just to see what it's like fighting DDs from their perspective. This will help you better understand some of what the heck some of the other players are doing. Your opponents as well as your own team mates!

Go to the Wiki and read the page on Consumables, especially Hydroacoustic Search and Surveillance Radar.

On Youtube, for starters, watch the Flamu video on the low tier German DDs, and any of his videos on low tier DDs really. The Tenryu video is also very good. Actually I'd be hard pressed to find a bad Flamu video, he used to do a whole "low tier guide" series. Some of the content is obsolete because of changes in some game mechanics, like the smoke firing penalty. He also changed his opinion on some issues like the first Captain skill, where he increasingly prefers PT over PM these days, especially for gun boats. You need to figure that out. But many basic tenets still hold.

Once you make some progress in restraining your recklessness,  and start to encounter radar ships with increasing frequency, start watching any kind of Flambass videos where he plays a DD. There are a few from the last Ranked Sprint in the Nicholas that make an excellent start. He doesn't lay out his points as methodically as Flamu but only drops the occasional nugget of wisdom, so you need to watch what he actually does, compare it to what you yourself would have done differently, and keep drawing your own conclusions.

Dare I ask what kiting is? I have worked out tanking I think, but kiting???

[CATS]
Players
14,622 posts
10,863 battles
3 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Engaging the enemy while moving away from him.

In WoWs this has the following advantages:

• enemy moves into your attacks, giving your attacks effective more range (6km torps can be launched at targets at 8km, 14km guns can shoot at targets at 14.2 km)
  • you move from enemy attacks, giving his attack less range (8k torps cannot hit a target at 7km, 15km guns cannot hit a target at 14.8km)
  • you can lead the enemy in a direction you want, potentially towards your allies and away from the enemies allies, isolating him

[-5D4-]
Players
47 posts
1,392 battles
38 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Engaging the enemy while moving away from him.

In WoWs this has the following advantages:

• enemy moves into your attacks, giving your attacks effective more range (6km torps can be launched at targets at 8km, 14km guns can shoot at targets at 14.2 km)
  • you move from enemy attacks, giving his attack less range (8k torps cannot hit a target at 7km, 15km guns cannot hit a target at 14.8km)
  • you can lead the enemy in a direction you want, potentially towards your allies and away from the enemies allies, isolating him

Thank you, learning something new everyday, if only I had discovered the forums ages ago, lol

Players
1,129 posts
8,974 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, NoobySkooby sagte:

It's basically running away while occasionally firing backward at your pursuers and taunting them.

[HELSD]
Players
13 posts
7,557 battles
On 12/20/2018 at 2:23 PM, The_Real_Nurdin said:

My suggestion is, not to stick with only dds. You have to know your opponents, so you can defeat them. Be sure to know the cappabilities of the opponent ship. Thats the best way to identify the weaknesses.