You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bear_Necessities

Ship you love. That everyone else hates

104 comments in this topic

Players
295 posts
9,029 battles

We all have a ship that we love that, the we feel is god like... yet everyone else says the hate.

My first choice would be FDG. I love Fat Freddie and am so happy it’s getting a wee buff. Also have a soft spot for Emerald, Duca D’aosta and Nurnberg.

and @DFens_666 don’t you dare say a bad thing about Fat Freddie 😛

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,680 battles

Awesome topic OP. Usually this is the other way around. In my case: looking at Yamato, Jutland, Z *T9 and 10. I HATE those ships while everyone else seems to have the time of their lives. I know there won't be 100% consensus in whatever ship I chose but for me it'd be Helena and Gneisenau. Helena because I won the special cammo from the competition and I find that one to be the best looking in this entire game. Bought Dasha captain on the slave market and placed her on it. Dasha on Helena: hell has just re-invented the definition of the greatest fury. Training her often on Boise in which the fury only has a different name. And Gneis? I don't ff know. Somehow I make this ship to function beyond ridiculousness. I sincerely wish I could share my trick but I frankly don't know. I fully specced it secondary and playing it patiently waiting for the optimal moment to charge in. That's pretty all I can say about it. My 19 pointer helps a lot though.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,404 posts
13,815 battles

Hipper I guess. I liked her well enough that I would buy Pringles in an instant if she ever comes up on sale for doubloons.

• Cool 7

Players
171 posts
2,613 battles

Would the Nurnberg qualify? It doesn't get much mention, so I assume it's a 'ho-hum bote' with other people. Personally, I love it with all the right captain skills. 

On the flip side, people love HMS Belfast, but I just can't get on with it. My own shortcomings, no doubt.

EDIT: Oops, I see the OP likes the Nurnberg too - I am not alone.

• Cool 1

[HOUSE]
Players
205 posts
4,418 battles
2 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

Would the Nurnberg qualify? It doesn't get much mention, so I assume it's a 'ho-hum bote' with other people. Personally, I love it with all the right captain skills. 

On the flip side, people love HMS Belfast, but I just can't get on with it. My own shortcomings, no doubt.

Was gonna say the same, the two German floating citadels in Königsberg and Nürnberg are hilarious and ships I used a lot for farming credits before investing in premium ships. 

I also like to take my Ognevoi out, the Russian ugly duckling that doesn't seem to fit in the line but oboy so much fun!

• Cool 2

Players
295 posts
9,029 battles
17 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

Have a very soft spot for Pensacola

That is a ship I’ve never got on with 😂. You’d get on well with @Mr_Tayto

17 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Helena and Gneisenau. Helena because I won the special cammo from the competition and I find that one to be the best looking in this entire game. Bought Dasha captain on the slave market and placed her on it. Dasha on Helena: hell has just re-invented the definition of the greatest fury. Training her often on Boise in which the fury only has a different name. And Gneis? I don't ff know. Somehow I make this ship to function beyond ridiculousness. I sincerely wish I could share my trick but I frankly don't know. I fully specced it secondary and playing it patiently waiting for the optimal moment to charge in. That's pretty all I can say about it. My 19 pointer helps a lot though.

I love Boise so will probably try helena properly at some point. Gneis is a wonderful ship. But I love the German B.B. line.

15 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Hipper I guess. I liked her well enough that I would buy Pringles in an instant if she ever comes up on sale for doubloons.

Solid ship, good choice sir o7

7 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

EDIT: Oops, I see the OP likes the Nurnberg too - I am not alone.

So glad someone else appreciated her :)

2 minutes ago, affie said:

I also like to take my Ognevoi out, the Russian ugly duckling that doesn't seem to fit in the line but oboy so much fun!

Have a soft spot for Oggy also, a ship people underestimate at their own peril 

[NWP]
Players
3,535 posts
5,870 battles

Marblehead/Omaha - not sure if its hated, but it certainly isnt liked, i love it tho :fish_cute_2:

Neptune - definetely not liked that much, but it worked for me

Indianapolis - i dont think its that bad, most ppl do hate it as i recall

Graf Spee - also a solid strong ship, but many dont like it.

For the opposite topic id have some candidates for sure!

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,193 posts
11,907 battles

+1 for FDG. Last true BB of that line and really just a supersized Bismarck (don't try and play it like a Bismarck though). Always considered the GK an abomination with terrible handling and bad turret angles.

• Cool 1

Players
3,333 posts
5,792 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

We all have a ship that we love that, the we feel is god like... yet everyone else says the hate.

Somehow I was pretty sure, what this topic is about, after reading the headline :Smile-_tongue:

Im going with Neptune and Duke of York I guess? Read so many bad things about them, yet they are my favourites.

• Funny 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,234 battles

I think I play ships people like, so I'll pass.

Very nice thread idea though OP.

• Cool 1

Players
6,243 posts
14,483 battles

I'm one of these masochistic ones:

I have an Izumo since 2015.

And it also has a permanent camouflage since they were introduced to Tier 9 ships.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[SHAD]
Players
257 posts

Yorck is a great ship but I’m the only one who thinks so!

Svetlana is a lot of fun with concealment expect. All those Clemson think they can bully your DD than you light them up.

The B-hull nurnberg is great. I remember brawling with a Scharnhorst and Graf spee and took them both out.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
30 posts
2,011 battles
27 minuti fa, gopher31 ha scritto:

Yorck is a great ship but I’m the only one who thinks so!

Svetlana is a lot of fun with concealment expect. All those Clemson think they can bully your DD than you light them up.

The B-hull nurnberg is great. I remember brawling with a Scharnhorst and Graf spee and took them both out.

I' m one of those who consider Yorck a real pain..

Feel good with my Duca degli Abruzzi ....but many thinks is garbage...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles
3 hours ago, Ubertron_X said:

+1 for FDG. Last true BB of that line and really just a supersized Bismarck (don't try and play it like a Bismarck though). Always considered the GK an abomination with terrible handling and bad turret angles.

From a historical point of view FdG aka Fat Freddy is awesome as it's one of the KM's H designs. 

The GK should have been an even more upscaled 8 gun BB instead of the WG paper fantasy. 

In game I've always enjoyed playing it, thought it's accuracy was acceptable. Will be good in the morning when the reload buffs are added. 

Players
28 posts
3,396 battles

i really like to play with Marblehead, can even use those torps, they are so slow, that they can hit after few minutes, it`s all good until they start firing at you

another one is ishizuchi, the great light bringer, after the buff it is really funny ship to play with

and the last one is graf spee, angry nutcracker, only thing i do miss at him is smoke, would be really handy in many situations.

marble.jpg

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

Roma gets an undeserved amount of criticism and not nearly enough praise. Easily my favorite BB in the game.

People whine about the dispersion yet it's virtually the same as the majority of BBs of that tier. Same as the German, French and British guns. It has a completely average sigma of 1.8 as well.

Then they like to complain about the high penetration and velocity of the guns, yet in practice it's more a boon than a detriment. Sure you'll blow straight through cruisers at close to medium range if they present flat broadside, but instead you have great ability to both hit and do damage to far targets at steeper angles than most guns and they punch upwards extremely well versus other BBs, which is great for a tier 8 that gets shafted by the MM all the time. The Roma's 380mm AP shells penetrate basically as well as the US 406mm AP shells even surpassing them at far ranges and don't suffer from their questionable time-to-target.

If we also add all the straight up advantages of the Roma, it gets even better.

Great armor against both HE and AP. Extended belt that can nose-tank 460mm shells better than most tier 10 BBs. 45mm deck armor and 70mm casemate armor all the way from the main belt to the deck, so that IFHE CL guns don't penetrate and most AP shells bounce when angled. 375mm main belt with an additional 40mm citadel plate.

The guns traverse incredibly fast for a BB at 6°/sec (30sec/180°) giving her way more opportunities to punish broadsides and making swapping sides less painful. She also has great forward firing angles (31°) to further make sure that she can always have guns on target while angling.

Perhaps the best aspect of the Roma is her insane concealment of 11.2km with bonuses, which together with her great protection gives her tremendous survivability potential.

So what are the actual downsides of the Roma? Well she has quite badly armored gun mounts resulting in frequent disabled turrets when she's in shootouts with other BBs. She still only has 380mm guns and literally the worst BB HE shells at her tier, so cruisers with 27mm bow armor (tier 8+ KM and USN CA) can nose tank her successfully. Her AA is on the worse side of average, even if it's not total trash.

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,363 posts
4,147 battles

Asashio, i like it when T10 BB sink in one torp salvo!

And after the gun damage buff for japanese DD i also like it to start a gunfight with other DD, last game i only sunk one BB but also two DD! :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[JRM]
Players
943 posts
13,425 battles

Krispy Kreme bad armour and all but you gotta love the t5 lolanta playstyle and that dafq? moment when you burn some bbaby down to a crisp with a ship everyone told them is usless

• Cool 1

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,006 posts
8,044 battles
3 hours ago, Alipheese_XV said:

I'm one of these masochistic ones:

I have an Izumo since 2015.

And it also has a permanent camouflage since they were introduced to Tier 9 ships.

giphy.gif

• Funny 5

[_FK_]
Players
5 posts
1,487 battles
6 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Somehow I was pretty sure, what this topic is about, after reading the headline :Smile-_tongue:

Im going with Neptune and Duke of York I guess? Read so many bad things about them, yet they are my favourites.

+1 for Neptune, had an absolute blast in it. Mino is definitely better but the Neptune prepares you so well for it and still has huge damage potential.

• Cool 1

[ITA_C]
Players
231 posts
6,698 battles

Mogami  for me  is a lovely ship who give me so much satisfaction i prefear her at atago and ibuki just perfect really

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Players
272 posts
6,393 battles
8 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I enjoyed Hipper too contrary to popular opinion. I'm running hydro and manual AA to compensate. I get the impression that enemy dds almost never expect to meet a hydro Hipper.