Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SirAmra

Remind me why we have winratio in WG games!

260 comments in this topic

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
580 posts

Before u go completely ham on me, think of this:

There is no incentive to improve.

There is no skill requirements.

Anyone can play whatever they want.

So why have winratio at all for anything?

In a game were u can virtually lose yourself to tier 10....why have bonuses for wins?

Why not have an xp based system purely on what u do?

People will say that this is a teambased game.....what team....The players who doesn't care?

I know most doesn't care and those that read the forums are the ones that care.....and I'm drunk enough to make this thread.

• Cool 17
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

Players
3,976 posts
7,529 battles
17 minutes ago, siramra said:

In a game were u can virtually lose yourself to tier 10....why have bonuses for wins?

People will say that this is a teambased game.....what team....The players who doesn't care?

I know most doesn't care and those that read the forums are the ones that care.....and I'm drunk enough to make this thread.

"win" bonus is to keep player hooked, after all everyone likes to win. Hooked player is more keen to open wallet, especially if he believes premium acc will help him win.

• Cool 3

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
580 posts
4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

"win" bonus is to keep player hooked, after all everyone likes to win. Hooked player is more keen to open wallet, especially if he believes premium acc will help him win.

So, how do u keep a 46% player hooked?

Someone who doesn't care?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NED]
Players
4,289 posts
11,774 battles

Afraid I lost my interest in WR OP. Now I'm not claiming to be a top ace player but I think I know what I'm doing in this game. Yes I do sometimes derp up. But even the top players do that. The absolute iron will and determination to lose matches in much of my teams has risen to a biblical proportion that the only way I keep my sanity is to totally lose interest. I know it should be a team based game. And I try to teamplay but my main focus has shifted to MM&I. In that combination I find I'm playing at least decent matches. Nothing epic mind you. Decent. Mostly ending in the top 5 of my team.

Edit: last replies came while I was typing mine. I also do must confess the will to open my wallet has a direct proportional relation with my care for WR. And I don't mean to whine and I do understand 100% WR is impossible. I do love this game with my heart. But really: I am not motivated to invest a penny in it with this kind of absolute stupidity I'm seeing. And what bothers me the most: I don't see any way to improve the lvl of gameplay. I am so longing to the times teams congratulate each other for an awesome match. Won or lost. The majority was fun. And that was in a time I didn't have much clue what to do....

• Cool 3

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
580 posts
16 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

I liek big numbahs.

U no taek away big numbahs.

Or we no be fwiends!

Hahahaha

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,834 posts
14,197 battles

To track your own personal progress?

No pastime activity really gives you any incentive to improve beyond your own personal enjoyment of it. E.g. if you really like to draw pictures, you're gonna want to improve at that eventually.

Now obviously the majority of the playerbase isn't as invested in this game as some others, hence why they will never improve out of their own volition. This is where a game developer can force them to either choose to improve or be punished for their incompetence by e.g. in the case of WoWs implementing a harsher economy focused more on team based action rather than pure damage farming.

That however isn't possible anymore because it would instantly bankrupt at least 80% of the playerbase.

• Cool 3

Players
419 posts
48 minutes ago, Panocek said:

"win" bonus is to keep player hooked

Winrate stats have never interested me, don't even bother looking at them. I played WOT for years and was never interested in them with that game either. I play for fun, but amazes me how many players are obsessed with their own winrate stats, and the stats of other players. I see the very same obsession is going on in WOWS also.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,401 posts
6,083 battles

Although my WR is truly dreadful, I still find it useful as a means to track my progress (or lack of it)...

That said, I don't care very much what the actual number is; I suspect if I swore off on having a life and washing etc., I could improve it dramatically, but a computer game is frankly not sufficiently important, even one that I enjoy this much...

• Cool 3

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
366 posts
2,921 battles

You can play in a division, so that makes it fun for me. Whether I win or lose doesn’t really matter, as long as it isn’t a steamroll...

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,535 posts
8,126 battles

In a perfect game the win or lose state of a battle shouldn't dictate most of your rewards, I agree with you there. But the problem lies in the fact that WG is extremely slow or generally unwilling to actually directly reward behavior which contributes towards a win. So instead they do the lazy thing (like most developers) and simple add a multiplier to your rewards if your team wins.

That's of course a terrible idea, since it assumes that every member of the winning team contributed significantly towards that win and none of the players on the losing team performed as well or better than anyone on the winning team. It's a system that only evens out once you reach a statistically significant number of battles and you can conclude that you ended up on the winning side as much as you deserved based on your average contributions.

But anyone that actually plays these games knows that it's a small comfort when you see battle after battle that your contributions aren't rewarded while the players on the winning team which did half as well as you still get the win bonus.

I've made the suggestion before that you could swap around the win bonus so that the last 5 on the winning team doesn't get it and instead the top 3 on the losing team does.

Not that I think WG would ever do that. That would cut too much into the ability for afkers and griefers to reach tier 10.

• Cool 2

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,223 posts
4,125 battles
8 hours ago, aboomination said:

If there's little incentive to win, there's less incentive to p2w.

Precisely this. You can't have P2W without the W.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
9 hours ago, siramra said:

People will say that this is a teambased game.....what team....

WG "team reward" system is based on the fact that even the bad players will be carried by their team. So they will be able advance in the game and reach higher tiers, where they will be forced to buy premium time or premium ships because of the harsh high tier economy. 

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
1,079 posts
14,153 battles

Its just statistics, in the long run they should average out to closely reflect your level of competence, however since random teams are so large nobody no matter how good will ever have 100% (or even near) WR so it boils down to the matter of "curve" (Gauss) and your place in it ie if you are above or below an average joe

• Cool 3

Players
1,588 posts
6,372 battles
9 hours ago, siramra said:

-snip-

Remind me why we have winratio in WG games!

Simply to give Mgtows, social outcasts and [inseret 40 year old fat virgin joke here] that they can be proud of - a sense of achievement if you will or make them feel usefull (if not to society at large, at least to their imaginary worlds filled with ponys, unicorns and waifus)

But same goes for any game where there are some kind of stats one can fap to and feel good.

Hurry up and flay this fact before it gets deleted by the red thought police!

• Funny 4

Players
229 posts
7,229 battles

RNG based game, poor balance, increasing powercreep and the slow emergence of P2W, Dodgy, unbalanced MM, legal mods which remove some of the very few skill elements in the game ie Angling Mod....

Yeah stats are meaningless for most part in WoWs, tbh i wouldn't be surprised if WG were actually manipulating them, the fact you can lose 70%-90% of your matches and maintain a 55% winrate makes zero sense.

• Funny 1

Players
792 posts
8,310 battles
9 minutes ago, KHETTIFER said:

The fact you can lose 70%-90% of your matches and maintain a 55% winrate makes zero sense.

Bbc.gif.413eead96d45ff64db61416b3e4a2544.gif

"the fact" 

• Funny 10

[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles
11 hours ago, siramra said:

Why winrate? SO top clans recruit you, so you can compare yourself to others, so you can see how your skill improves, so you can compare different ships....

[-TXG-]
Players
2,404 posts
18 minutes ago, KHETTIFER said:

the fact you can lose 70%-90% of your matches and maintain a 55% winrate makes zero sense.

Fact? You need to get a dictionary and a 'simple maths' book maybe. :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 2

Players
3,976 posts
7,529 battles
10 hours ago, siramra said:

So, how do u keep a 46% player hooked?

Someone who doesn't care?

"I'm gud player, I know how to shoot but RNG is rigged so I get 10% hit rate and only noobs in my team":Smile_trollface:

• Funny 4

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
580 posts
23 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Why winrate? SO top clans recruit you, so you can compare yourself to others, so you can see how your skill improves, so you can compare different ships....

Why not xp based? Top clans don't recruit u purely on wins anyway.

My point is, u can have a massive game and lose it. U get less rewarded than most of the windowlickers on the winning team.

Why not remove winratio and reward players for what they do ingame instead. Actually forcing players to improve if they want to progress faster.

U will remove alot of the toxidity in this game. Muppets throwing the game have less of an impact cause it only hurts themselves.

[AS13]
Players
2,185 posts
2,211 battles

Meh to WR. If I end up in top3 in my tier I think I've done my best, win or lose. 

Meh to low damage, too. Especially if it's another uptiered steamroller, like so many games are. 

And yes I'll buy stuff, if I think WG has produced something worthwhile. They deserve it, then, IMO.

But I'm not buying 200E worth of stuff while other games cost 50E at the most. 

• Cool 1