Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sehales

"Steel Monsters" Campaign

15 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,326 posts
1,064 battles

Captains,

please share your feedback about the "Steel Monsters" campaign in this thread.

Detailed information about the campaign can be found on the portal.

• Bad 2

[XIDAN]
Players
41 posts

my feed back, first of all, THANKS for the many feature added, for the continuosly developing but then it's a big no, instead of all the things 50€ for 4000 steels that doesn't help so much and 28 days of premium (something around 9.50€) camo and flags are good but without the will for RNG(random battle) match, that show how much some one are luckyest then others, is totally useless.

Happy Holydays

Players
1,583 posts
6,242 battles
2 hours ago, ShadowVector said:

Ok heres my feed back on this. what a dirty cash grab con this is. £42.77 to unlock it? thats disgusting

49.99€ for germans...

Everyone who buys this dosn't deserve to have the money in the first place!

[SCRUB]
Players
961 posts
7,749 battles

Simply put, have an option for the campaign only without the additional crap no one wants with it. Tossing the Santa crates in there especially was done just to inflate the price, all that says is 'you want to get steel campaign? We're going to force you to gamble', and actually, wouldn't that make the campaign completely unavailable in the Low Countries? With their laws on gambling and all... 

The actual value of the 4019 steel is pretty low as well. Flint is what, 8700 steel yeah? A tier 7 premium cruiser is about 25-30 euros. So 4019 steel, or just under half of the steel cost of a tier 7 premium cruiser, should therefore only be monetarily worth about 10-13 euros. Instead of giving us that option Wargaming has thrown in an additional bunch of crap instead to essentially lock the campaign behind a paywall. 

[DAVY]
Players
305 posts
8,233 battles

Where to start?

When I saw the price tag I inevitably thought about a bunch of kids selling homemade lemonade on the street.

A man from the neighborhood comes across their nice little lemonade stand. The kids look kinda cute playing the grown-up game, being all serious. They ask the man if he wants a glass of lemonade. He immediately says yes, cause they are kids from his neighborhood and remind him of his own childhood. They pour a glass. Then one of the kids says "20 Euro."

The face of the man freezes and a thousand thoughts go through his head: Are these kids insane? Is it that they are young and have no conception of money and the relation between how hard the money is earned, what the prices of typical other consumables are and how their little non-essential product fits into this? Should he maybe talk to their parents and explain them, what their kids are doing and why there are no more lemons in the house? Should he feel insulted and assume the kids are just greedy and disrespectful?

No, maybe the grown-up thing is to take a deep breath and very calmly and patiently explain to these newcomers to the free market, why no mentally unchallenged person is going to buy that lemonade.

And that's what I am going to do ... tonight, after I finished work and clan battles ... unless of course somebody else would step in and save me a lot of time.

• Cool 1

Players
25 posts

Wow just wow.

Steel Prinz - £91.54

Mighty Prinz - £70.15

The Steel Monsters Campaign - £42.77

Anyone who pays that sort of money for that utter crap seriously needs to get out more and get a life, Think that Russian Vodka has gone round the office way to early.

• Cool 1

Players
31 posts

Might have been worth it if it actually gave enough steel to buy something. I don't play CW so only have about 1000 steel so even adding the 4019 I would need to wait till next Christmas and hope they want another £42 for another campaign to afford a Flint lol.

So sorry but it's a no from me.

Unfortunately there will be enough who are willing so this will be the way forward for WG.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
305 posts
8,233 battles

Okay, I'm back. Sorry it took so long, I was tired from CB and christmas preparations. Now we got a T7-Christmas-tree.

So let me continue the thoughts of my first post. I am not talking about that campaign per se, I am also discussing, what it stands for. Three distinct points need to be made:

a) First of all: The campaign is way too expensive.

What is the fair value of that Steel Monsters Campaign?

You got 4 Big Santa Boxes and 1 Mega Santa Box in it. Those are in your shop for around 14€ all together. Then players get 28 days of premium time, a bit less than the 30 days for 10€ and some people will have running subscriptions of 180/360 days running. For them the value of a month of premium is rather 7€. You probably put in lots of flags, consumables and credits/FXP/CXP in it, but that is just to fill up the deal. Every campaign has that. If people want it, they buy it in the shop. And finally the big advertised reward: 4k steel. What's the value of steel? A Flint costs 11600 steel. She is a sidegrade to the Atlanta, a powerful one, but a sidegrade nevertheless. The Atlanta costs 9k doubloons. So let's for simplicity say, the Flint is worth more than the Atlanta, cause she trades radar for better torps and smoke. Let's say she is worth a surcharge of 25%. I mean she is still a T7 premium ship and the player has to make her work and is not handed victory on a silver platter. Then we arrive at a price for the Flint of 11600 doubloons. I am cheating a bit for simplicity. Let me remind you, even very powerful and unavailable ships like the T8-Kutuzow originally cost 10250 doubloons, therefore the estimated 11600 doubloons for a Flint are quite realistic. So we pretty much got a value of 1 steel = 1 doubloon.

4k doubloons cost around 16€ in a medium sized package, leading me to the conclusion, the value of 4k steel would be around 16€.

So let's add it all up and be generous to Wargaming: 14€ (Santa crates) + 10€ (premium time) + 16€ (steel) = 40€.

That is not the value of the campaign, mind you. That is the value of the rewards, if you were to buy them in the shop to get them right away. Basically this has always been WG's trade. WG claims to not sell a pay2win product but a pay2shortcut one. So 40€ is the value of the shortcut. The campaign however takes action on behalf of the player. The player must grind the rewards, this is the long way. Furthermore the player is the risk carrier. The player pays in the present for a reward that he might not get in the future, for different private reasons. He stops playing, gets sick or run over by a car, takes a new stressful job, whatever.

Now WG has implemented that principle very paradigmatic in the RN event. The players paid 1€ for 10 Guineas and agreed to a lenghty grind to get the T8-DD Cossack. The shortcut to that ship costs 35€. So the price for the shortcut was 35 times higher than the grind.

In the Steel Monsters Campaign that grind is 50€, 1.25 times higher than the fair price (40€) for the shortcut. The campaign would have to be significantly cheaper than that shortcut, half the price is a good starting point. The grind is not that long to justify as low a price as for the Cossack. So a reasonable price for the campaign would have better been 20€. Maybe even less, if one agrees to c).

But still forget that talk about prices for now.

b) It's about knowing your customers, economies of scale and community spirit.

A game like WoWs - if you boil it down - generates income through a simple equation: revenue = number of customers * propensity to buy * price.

WG assumes it can generate more income by increasing the price. They forget that more than 95% of all accounts are inactive. These 95% are people who tried the game, at some point in time did not like what they saw and left. That is lost revenue. Every customer that left, might never return and never spend a cent. By raising prices, WG risks losing more customers, having to compensate with even higher prices and accelerating this process to the point of killing its up to now very profitable product.

There is one key property to the product: It is a digital one, it has a fix cost of development but no cost per unit. It can be reprinted for free. Unlike so many material products out there, by multiplying the number of customers, you effectively multiply your revenue by the same factor. So losing on the quantity by raising prices, is - can't put it differently - utter economic nonsense. I don't know the sales numbers. I know in our clan maybe 3 people got the campaign. Had it been half the price, 15-20 people, me included, would have got it. Simple maths, half price, 5-7 times the quantity equals 2-3 times the revenue.

Now some people I know have even stated they cannot afford the campaign. They are gamers, not golfers. When a game developer plays the community card, us and them being part of the same gamer scene, them being active in the same game as us, having real life events, it is also important to show, you respect your customers. That means WG must be aware that many of their customers work hard and long hours for their pay checks, some might be out of work, some may be waiting tables to finance their studies. Them spending some of their very fixed income on this game is a sign of appreciation. It is a big deal to show that loyalty. In return they will expect or at least hope their money is used thoughtful. If they feel, prices are way higher than working hours spent on development, they might feel, their own hard work is not respected, they are not respected. They might start thinking the programmers and designers on the other side have lost touch with reality.

That would be a fatal signal that must backfire into returns. That could not be good for business and the community. It's not a crowd-funding project but a regular business and WG is entitled to make money and please don't cut back on the free apples in your office. Just think about all those players out there who pay for it.

I am aware, this was a rather emotional point with only indirect impact on business. So for all the rational minds, let me get back to business

c) It's not about selling a campaign. It's about customer loyalty.

If you sell a campaign, giving people steel, two thirds of your customers will say "Steel? What's that?" Only a minority of players participates in Ranked Battles and gets steel out of it. Only a minority of players joined a clan and only 10% of all clans participate in Clan Battles. Again only a fraction of CB-participants earns significant amounts of steel - a minority of a minority of a minority, so to speak.

These players are potential customers for the Steel Monsters campaign. The rest will see that ressource and the prospect of ever seeing a steel ship as remote and abstract. That, thinking about a), is why steel is less valuable that doubloons, it has no direct purpose. See that post by @sneakyscotsmanabove, member of a clan that easily plays upper Storm/Typhoon league. Selling the campaign to a minority, you leave behind a majority of players, only to squeeze a few bucks out of an "elite". Does that really make sense?

Now remember that equation in b). The number of active players is important. You will only get the players that already have a lot of steel through Ranked and CB to find that steel campaign useful.

On the other hand, if you had made that campaign easily available to the general player base, some of the players would for the first time get any steel. They might find out, what to do with that steel, you can get a great ship. Maybe they will suddenly be more attracted to the Ranked Battles and Clan Battles, might think about joining or creating a clan. Players who before did not participate in any of the deeper activities of the game, would start being more dedicated to the game. So instead of skimming a few players, WG could have created a primer for new loyal players. And for the rest of the players a bit of variety by getting new content cannot be bad for business, right? The Steel Monsters campaign would not create minor direct revenue but very significant indirect revenue. These newly won or bound players will at some point buy some premium time, maybe one or more ships, some premium camos, port slots and whatnot. That, my friends, is the difference between greed and smart business sense.

Finally,

let me finish my comprehensive analysis - sorry, never been the concise guy - with reminding us all of that one incident, where iChase stated about the "Graf Zeppelin", that whoever decided to sell that unfinished ship should "get fired". I am sure that caused some outrage at WG and it's natural that one would be insulted by a CC daring such a coarse judgement. But if one were to see the message beyond that, it would be that bad decisions are not good for business and not good for anybody, as the people making that decision are held responsible by their superiors. I hope, we never see campaigns for 50€ or Ovechkins for 40€ and alike again. Please don't have us talk in forums in five years, how WG blew it with WoWs like they currently do with WoT.

So let me end it on a positive note. This deal on a 360 days-subscription of WoWs-Premium-Account for 40€ you offered today, is very smart. Whoever decided to offer that, should get promoted. He/She understands a key lesson in business: It's about customer loyalty, good reputation and not about the quick buck. Chapeau.

@Viper_Tech_ Nice avatar. Just please tell me you didn't change it especially for that post.

• Cool 2

Players
122 posts
13,265 battles

I think missed some steel.:Smile_amazed:  I received 2900 steel in last ranked, + supercontainer with 1500 steel. I completed   clan battles mission in squall league,   and completed missions in gale legaue. This is 2900+1500+1250+1800 steel= 7400

I blow off 13 snowflakes from T8-9 ships, 13x200 steel= 2600.  This is 10 000. And blowed off snowflokes from  2x  T9 silver and 1 T10 ships, 50+50 +100 steel.   I completed 1  mission in Steel monster campaign, 500 steel, and i completed your highness, 500 steel.    This is 11 000 steel.  

And i have now 10 200 steel in arsenal. Miss 1000 steel. 

[ADRIA]
Players
4,224 posts
6,782 battles
8 minutes ago, longley89 said:

I think missed some steel.:Smile_amazed:  I received 2900 steel in last ranked, + supercontainer with 1500 steel. I completed   clan battles mission in squall league,   and completed missions in gale legaue. This is 2900+1500+1250+1800 steel= 7400

I blow off 13 snowflakes from T8-9 ships, 13x200 steel= 2600.  This is 10 000. And blowed off snowflokes from  2x  T9 silver and 1 T10 ships, 50+50 +100 steel.   I completed 1  mission in Steel monster campaign, 500 steel, and i completed your highness, 500 steel.    This is 11 000 steel.  

And i have now 10 200 steel in arsenal. Miss 1000 steel. 

Bought something for coal recently? If you didn't have enough coal steel would be used to cover the difference at a rate of 1 steel to 10 coal

Players
122 posts
13,265 battles
13 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Bought something for coal recently? If you didn't have enough coal steel would be used to cover the difference at a rate of 1 steel to 10 coal

Not. 

Players
25 posts
On 12/21/2018 at 7:55 PM, HMS_Kilinowski said:

@sneakyscotsman

@Viper_Tech_ Nice avatar. Just please tell me you didn't change it especially for that post.

Lol no dude i didn't. Good post btw.

Hey maybe that's WG thinking that people may get a bit tipsy over the festive period and foolishly buy the campaign.

Have a Great Christmas Dude

And to All.

Sign in to follow this