Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
WarshipsPodcastEU

[Official] Wargaming Response to Steel Concerns

68 comments in this topic

Players
157 posts
183 battles

In my persona as co-host of the Warships Podcast, I asked iEarlGrey for an official quote from Wargaming in regards to the amount of steel earnable from the New Years events and campaigns as well as my concerns regarding the devaluation of the resource. Here is the response:

Commanders,

Since the release of the 0.7.12 Developer Bulletin there have been concerns about the steel that will be available for players during the end of year period, which we've been addressing in streams and chats since then. In addition, we've decided to share a few more points with you, including some numbers illustrating our players and their potential for achieving the rewards that will be up for grabs.

During end of year events, players will be able to get steel from four main sources, in addition to competitive play in Ranked and Clan Battles. These will be Snowflakes, the milestone event "In the Name of His Highness", two mission chains, as well as the Steel Monsters campaign.

Players will be able to receive 2000 steel from the milestone event, as well as 2019 from each of the mission chains - one of which will be available for free for owners of Prinz Eitel Friedrich, while the other will be available for purchase along with the top-tier premium shop bundles containing the same ship. The Steel Monsters campaign will also be available from the premium shop and the player will have at least 180 days to complete it, which will grant a total of 4000 steel. All of this totals to 4000 steel achievable for free and 6000 steel achievable after purchase.

In addition to the above, players will be able to receive a varying amount of steel for knocking off snowflakes from each of your top-tier ships. While this may look like a literal metric tonne of steel to the veterans among you, let us put that into perspective:

· Only around 30% of the active audience currently has ships eligible for any steel rewards from snowflakes.

· Only around 4% of the active audience currently has ships eligible to get them more than 2000 steel from snowflakes.

· Only around 0.4% of the active audience currently has ships eligible to get them more than 4500 steel from snowflakes.

In addition to the above, Ranked enthusiasts are able to get around 5500 steel for the season, as well as a maximum of 11000 steel for Clan Battles. Please also remember that all of the steel sources above require an investment of gameplay time, including the purchasable ones. Sure, many players will play these missions and campaigns, but only the most dedicated fleet commanders will do it all. Most of the players who fall into the mentioned brackets are also veteran, competitive or clan players. What this means is that there is very little risk of an excessive influx of top-tier steel ships, especially in the hands of very inexperienced players. You will still encounter such players in battle and you might stumble across the odd battle that's heavy with steel on both sides. However, these instances will be exceptions, rather than the rules.

In any case, regardless of what type of player you are, we want to give you a fighting chance at getting steel or the ships it unlocks. That being said, both the resource itself as well as these ships will likely stay as a reward for competitive gameplay and players who invest their time and skill to get to the top will be the first to claim such rewards. In addition, they can acquire unique vanity items via other competitive currencies, which are available for achieving Rank 1 in Ranked seasons or winning enough battles in Typhoon league in Clan Battles. We plan to keep expanding this system in the future as well.

Action stations,

• Cool 11
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,341 posts
9,204 battles

I'd personally like to thank WG for the opportunity to earn steel this way. I very rarely have time for clan battle play because of my home dynamic. I know many here might hate the idea of others having what they have, but please bear in mind I put in game time in my own way, play hard and try to win, albeit not in a clan wars as often as I'd like, so letting me 'earn' the steel another way is appreciated.

• Cool 15

[NWP]
Players
3,956 posts
6,034 battles

I think this explanation is rather... questionable?

If only Experienced/Veteran clan players will get the most out of the event, its pretty safe to assume that they have the majority (if not all except Bourgogne) Steel ships in port already. Since the variety of steel ships is extremely limited, giving the most seasoned players even more steel doesnt really make sense.

I rather think, WG is trying to force / push players who are not so active to play more ranked/CBs. Basicly if you start from scratch, gathering steel is rather uninspiring, especially with a hyped ship like Stalingrad around which requires several R1/full CB seasons to acquire.

But if are already half way there by playing casual Randoms/Coop, the chances are higher that those players will try to get the remaining steel they need through Ranked and Clanbattles, as the amount of Steel which can be gathered now is only enough for Flint/Black (which brings us back to the Stalingrad).

Players like myself who havent played CBs before (first season for me) and also Ranked, which required to get to R1 before to have a chance to get the ships, wasnt that interesting to me. Luckily you can get atleast a little bit steel by playing Ranked even if you dont get to R1.

This means, ill be faced with the problem i described:

- I gathered a little bit steel in the last Ranked season

- Got 1 Steel SC

- Playing CBs for the first time, which will give me a maximum of 11k steel (which is pretty much not guaranteed now, because of short season + xmas in between + i lose 2 days/week to work most of the time)

- Getting the 4k Steel from the event if i have time to complete it all

- ~2k Steel from Snowflakes

So ill get close to 20k +-couple of k depending on the CB season.

Its just enough to maybe get Stalin/Bourgogne with a coupon, OR i would need to continue grinding next ranked season till i have enough.

Other players who dont play CBs and/or ranked, will have to invest more time into either of those if they suddenly sit there with ~5-10k Steel after the event.

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
3,756 posts
8,468 battles

The problem I see with this explanation: Why was it a CC like Kelorn that poked the Earl. Why didn't WG come forward themselves. Apparently - having such an elaborate answer - indicated that WG KNOWS that the community is discussing this topic hot and heavy.

• Cool 3

[PMI]
Players
2,479 posts
5,866 battles
33 minutes ago, WarshipsPodcastEU said:

In my persona as co-host of the Warships Podcast, I asked iEarlGrey for an official quote from Wargaming in regards to the amount of steel earnable from the New Years events and campaigns as well as my concerns regarding the devaluation of the resource. Here is the response:

Commanders,

Since the release of the 0.7.12 Developer Bulletin there have been concerns about the steel that will be available for players during the end of year period, which we've been addressing in streams and chats since then. In addition, we've decided to share a few more points with you, including some numbers illustrating our players and their potential for achieving the rewards that will be up for grabs.

During end of year events, players will be able to get steel from four main sources, in addition to competitive play in Ranked and Clan Battles. These will be Snowflakes, the milestone event "In the Name of His Highness", two mission chains, as well as the Steel Monsters campaign.

Players will be able to receive 2000 steel from the milestone event, as well as 2019 from each of the mission chains - one of which will be available for free for owners of Prinz Eitel Friedrich, while the other will be available for purchase along with the top-tier premium shop bundles containing the same ship. The Steel Monsters campaign will also be available from the premium shop and the player will have at least 180 days to complete it, which will grant a total of 4000 steel. All of this totals to 4000 steel achievable for free and 6000 steel achievable after purchase.

In addition to the above, players will be able to receive a varying amount of steel for knocking off snowflakes from each of your top-tier ships. While this may look like a literal metric tonne of steel to the veterans among you, let us put that into perspective:

· Only around 30% of the active audience currently has ships eligible for any steel rewards from snowflakes.

· Only around 4% of the active audience currently has ships eligible to get them more than 2000 steel from snowflakes.

· Only around 0.4% of the active audience currently has ships eligible to get them more than 4500 steel from snowflakes.

In addition to the above, Ranked enthusiasts are able to get around 5500 steel for the season, as well as a maximum of 11000 steel for Clan Battles. Please also remember that all of the steel sources above require an investment of gameplay time, including the purchasable ones. Sure, many players will play these missions and campaigns, but only the most dedicated fleet commanders will do it all. Most of the players who fall into the mentioned brackets are also veteran, competitive or clan players. What this means is that there is very little risk of an excessive influx of top-tier steel ships, especially in the hands of very inexperienced players. You will still encounter such players in battle and you might stumble across the odd battle that's heavy with steel on both sides. However, these instances will be exceptions, rather than the rules.

In any case, regardless of what type of player you are, we want to give you a fighting chance at getting steel or the ships it unlocks. That being said, both the resource itself as well as these ships will likely stay as a reward for competitive gameplay and players who invest their time and skill to get to the top will be the first to claim such rewards. In addition, they can acquire unique vanity items via other competitive currencies, which are available for achieving Rank 1 in Ranked seasons or winning enough battles in Typhoon league in Clan Battles. We plan to keep expanding this system in the future as well.

Action stations,

Thanks for posting in a manner that people using the dark forum can not read, my conglaturations!! You is winner!!:Smile_medal:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

Y u no post text only/remove formatting when copy&pasta from reddit?

I got to highlight the entire post just to read it on the dark forum theme.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,050 posts
12,324 battles

Looking forward to the introduction of Titanium resource when Steel ships are common enough and Staliniumgrad has been nerfed.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,605 posts
1 hour ago, WarshipsPodcastEU said:

Commanders,

Action stations,

I hope that's better for everyone using the dark theme. I copied and pasted the text into notepad and back. That should have removed all formatting.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
554 posts
5,051 battles

I must admit I have a fairly negative view of this whole steel business.

My thoughts probably mirror those of many "randoms-only" players:

1. I have to play against (arguably very OP) Stalingrads, therefore I would like to acquire one myself.

2. Although I play a reasonable amount and to a decent level, I don't have the opportunity to play CW or spend a lot of time grinding ranked. Therefore I will be very unlikely- even with these events - to come anywhere near the steel total required for Stalingrad/ Bourgogne et al.

3. By having steel as a compulsory prize for universal events such as snowflake, this is piling up an unusable amount of a currency that has now displaced usable currencies (FXP, coal, gold, credits).

4. I'm unhappy that those existing in-game currencies (FXP, coal, gold, credits, etc) are being deliberately sidelined and devalued. The game economy goal-posts are being deliberately moved in order to write off existing player investment in the game.

5. What Loppantorkel just stated!

• Cool 8

[KAKE]
Players
889 posts
3,136 battles
11 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

3. By having steel as a compulsory prize for universal events such as snowflake, this is piling up an unusable amount of a currency that has now displaced usable currencies (FXP, coal, gold, credits).

Steel can be exchanged for coal on a 1:10 basis, so it's not exactly unusable if you consider coal usable.

[DC-DK]
Players
2,146 posts
23,887 battles
9 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

Wow, I'm in the 0.4% bracket of players, I feel so spechul :Smile_teethhappy:

same here

Players
157 posts
183 battles
1 hour ago, Juanx said:

Thanks for posting in a manner that people using the dark forum can not read, my conglaturations!! You is winner!!:Smile_medal:

My apologies i always forget about the dark client not translating properly. It should work ok now

[IDDQD]
[IDDQD]
Beta Tester
68 posts
8,165 battles

Simply one big NO to free steel.Why? Because normally you have to earn it by playing Ranked or CWs. Both game modes take huge effort and lot of time, especially CWs.

You have to learn strategy for every map, you must know how to play your ship, how to defeat enemy ships (simply you need skill), you need good teamwork, good commander and so on.

And now you can earn steel by winning co-op battles? WHAT?

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
626 posts
11,065 battles

If this is a one off event then the majority of players won't earn enough steel to get a ship, and that's the whole point of it. By giving the opportunity to earn enough steel for half a ship through normal gameplay they hope to incentivise casual players such as myself into the 'end game' to earn a ship. 

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,235 posts
7,451 battles

personally I feel this event for steel is fair for all as everyone from a wows addict to a casual gamer gets the chance to earn some steel

the pay for event steel is also fine in my view as it helps bring cash into wg pocket and if players who purchase it are happy to pay then let em

you will always get people who moan especially if they have the ships that are "rare" and they don't want others to have them

anyway its xmas so I hope everyone gets shed loads of steel and coal and top that with loads of beer

• Cool 5

[IDDQD]
Weekend Tester
1,866 posts
4,984 battles

I play this game since Beta Weekends. And this event of #freesteel is spittle into the faces of all competetive players. There is only one small thing for those (competetive) players and WG is not even able to keep that currency to them.

Why everybody has to have everything? I dont see a reason. There is more than enought of activities for everyone. With a lot of rewards. And to give end-game group´s of players rewards to everyone, in those multi-tousands amound, is not fair.

• Cool 3

[10GO]
Players
1,118 posts
11,155 battles
1 hour ago, beercrazy said:

personally I feel this event for steel is fair for all as everyone from a wows addict to a casual gamer gets the chance to earn some steel

the pay for event steel is also fine in my view as it helps bring cash into wg pocket and if players who purchase it are happy to pay then let em

you will always get people who moan especially if they have the ships that are "rare" and they don't want others to have them

anyway its xmas so I hope everyone gets shed loads of steel and coal and top that with loads of beer

First of all steel should not be available for real money... once that starts its a just a matter of time for steel to appear in premium shop monthly.

Second of all do you think that WG is not milking us enough by releasing new premiums every month maybe even week instead of focusing more on fixing main issues with the game?

And then do you really think that its about how rare the ship is? Dont you think its more about hundreds of hours spent in training rooms and CW's losing your sanity and paying for those ''rare'' ships with your sweat and blood? And before you can even get to that you have to master the game itself you cant just start playing and expect to be top in a week. Its been years of hard work to master the game on a level that allowes players to get those ships.

In the first seasons of CW's i spent countless hours sitting on the tactic map creating strategies, then practising them in training room and finally using them in CW's. And for that i got a reward. Do you think that people who dont do the same who dont sacrifice their sweat, blood and lives should be rewarded same as those who did sacrificed? People played CW's and grinded those stalingrad flags not only for themselves but for clan mates aswell, spending much more battles in CW's than was necessary. And now you basically say to them that all their hard work was for ''nothing'' and they could have just waited and get all for free without any effort.

If you want to make a good event for everyone just give everyone crap ton of coal and everyone will be happy. And there are good ships available for coal.

• Cool 2

[NBS]
Beta Tester
255 posts
6,516 battles

The ammount of competitive elitists who think that getting  6k steel trough regular play is somehow game changing is pathehic. 
Yes you've invested nolife ammounts of time into the game because of your life situation. There are also plenty of people who are trying hard as well but fail due to the fact that their free time is not so abundant.
The average random player will earn 3-4k Steal max ... which is like 10% of the steel required for the stalingrad. It will in no way affect the ammount of players who werent active in competetive modes untill now. 
What this event brings us... is the little guy with a Job who doesnt have time to participate in every ranked or can't grind out all the clan wars but is still trying as much as he can to be able to afford the ship he was playing for all this time.

AGAIN. You cant do anything with small ammounts of steel if you don't own it already or are planing to be more involved in the competitive scene. This is just a boost to the competitive players with less available time.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[KENS]
[KENS]
Players
51 posts
9,003 battles

To be honest I don’t see a problem with this, anyone who can afford the Stalingrad after this has to have either all the lines completely maxed out (havnt done the maths on if that’s even enough but it’s got to be close) or already have some steel from CB/Ranked, and I honestly see no problem with players like this getting a Stalingrad,

I mean if you’ve maxed out every line in the game you would HOPE they would pick up a few things about the game (im aware not all will but atleast most should) 

and lets be honest if this ship is allowed to be used in competitive play (CB/Ranked/KOTS) I think it’s  only fair others should have the opportunity to field them since it’s undoubtly a powerful ship (OP open to discussion but at the very least powerful)

also the Uber elites who have spent time working out strategy’s and maximising there tactics/ group comp should have any problem annihilating me and my friends who have a lot more casual approach to CBS than most(especially since getting 7 is an achievement for us!)  regardless of us having a few Stalin’s or not. 

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,235 posts
7,451 battles
1 hour ago, GrumpyRolf said:

First of all steel should not be available for real money... once that starts its a just a matter of time for steel to appear in premium shop monthly.

Second of all do you think that WG is not milking us enough by releasing new premiums every month maybe even week instead of focusing more on fixing main issues with the game?

And then do you really think that its about how rare the ship is? Dont you think its more about hundreds of hours spent in training rooms and CW's losing your sanity and paying for those ''rare'' ships with your sweat and blood? And before you can even get to that you have to master the game itself you cant just start playing and expect to be top in a week. Its been years of hard work to master the game on a level that allowes players to get those ships.

In the first seasons of CW's i spent countless hours sitting on the tactic map creating strategies, then practising them in training room and finally using them in CW's. And for that i got a reward. Do you think that people who dont do the same who dont sacrifice their sweat, blood and lives should be rewarded same as those who did sacrificed? People played CW's and grinded those stalingrad flags not only for themselves but for clan mates aswell, spending much more battles in CW's than was necessary. And now you basically say to them that all their hard work was for ''nothing'' and they could have just waited and get all for free without any effort.

If you want to make a good event for everyone just give everyone crap ton of coal and everyone will be happy. And there are good ships available for coal.

I could never spend so much time on a game where I spent hours in training rooms till I lost my sanity

to me wows is just a game to play and have fun and unwind with on a night after having a crap day at work or what I mostly play it for is the group of friends I have made over the years

I also play clan battles and have some damn fun in em and if they got to me where I wasn't having fun then I would just stick to randoms

you may not like it pal but your reply stinks to me of I work hard and you don't so I want everything while you have very little and there goes the elitism that seems to come out even if you don't mean it that way

not everyone has got massive amount of time to spend hours and hours on this game and thinking everyone will be sailing round in a Stalingrad by the end of these xmas missions is in my view a little bit crazy

• Cool 1