Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hildegarnpl

Atlanta - advice needed

33 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
3,822 battles

Ahoy captains.

I would like to ask you for advice regarding the CL Atlanta.

I keep reading this forum and many players state, that she shreds even higher tier planes. I am not saying, that this isn’t true, but my own experience differs. Since I am mediocre at best, and more experienced players claim these things, I assume the issue is on my end between the keyboard and the chair.

Would you please share the optimal build? Modules and captain skills. I am currently running:

PT

AR

DE

AFT, IFHE, CE

See my stats below

please excuse any grammatical and or stylistic errors, I am not a native English speaker.

995BDF7E-B825-4187-B1FB-F1468456EAED.jpeg

• Boring 1

[TTT]
Players
3,938 posts
7,767 battles

and... where's your problem again? unless this is some strange sort of humblebrag where you're looking for people to tell you you're doing more than fine, I really am not sure what the point is. Because, yes I'll say it, you're doing more than fine.

[JRM]
Players
1,090 posts
14,168 battles

Well it depends do you want Atlanta as a dedicated AAA ship? If so you have to (at least as AAA is now) take MCFAA & AFT & BFT & AR and distribute the rest of points as you wish, bit MCFAA is mandatory since lot of its AA strength is in those 5"-ers also JoAT and premium version of DFAA are recommended as well as AAA and consumable reload flags for faster DFAA roload, this however makes little sence IMHO unless you div up with a t8 cv regularly

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles

All but the most inept CV players have learned by now not to feed an Atlanta all their aircraft so it's hardly uncommon to just be avoided like the plague as soon as they now which half of the map you're at.

As for the rest, looks pretty solid so I don't understand what problems you might be having.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,645 posts
5,361 battles
8 minutes ago, Hildegarnpl said:

..[snip]...

Not an expert on Atlanta, but played her a few times - but, I agree with your summation in respect of her impact on aircraft.

To get her to be a real AA beast I switched out to BFT/AFT/ManAA, with the extra AA range module also - she is an absolute beast against aircraft with that set up.

[STARS]
Beta Tester
87 posts
12,184 battles

Why use an AA setup when you devastating dpm? Even IFHE is really useful for the Atlanta.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,710 posts
9,234 battles
8 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

All but the most inept CV players have learned by now not to feed an Atlanta all their aircraft so it's hardly uncommon to just be avoided like the plague as soon as they now which half of the map you're at.

As for the rest, looks pretty solid so I don't understand what problems you might be having.

Perhaps the lack of BFT? 

I skip on concealment since I use island waifus to hide myself, and it's a nice boost to dakka, both for flying and soon to be sinking targets. 

[IDDQD]
Players
1,782 posts
16,139 battles

in CV games thing is - turn off your AA at start. Your AA range is 7,2km with module and AFT, you air conceal is somewhere around 5,5km (not sure exactly). You want to bait planes closer othewise they will turn asap they see you, if CV has brain on. By turning AA off they will see you at 5,5km instead of 7,2km(your max AA range) so you will not scare them right when spotted. When spotted by planes turn AA and barage on and you have 2km buffer until they run out of your AA range. In that time you should kill lots of them. 

Specing dedicated AA build isnt needed in my experience. Just Module and AFT is okay. 

That AA turning off and on you should be doing whole game when CV is there, its sometimes just hard to remember to turn it on in heat of battle.   

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
5 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Perhaps the lack of BFT? 

I skip on concealment since I use island waifus to hide myself, and it's a nice boost to dakka, both for flying and soon to be sinking targets. 

I share my captain with the Worcester so PT, AR, SI, CE, AFT, IFHE, PM on my build.

If there's any problem OP might have it's just improving on the positioning, everything else looks solid. Atlanta is a ship whose performance mostly scales with positioning than anything else after all.

Players
13 posts
3,822 battles

Well, in a thread on this forum multiple other players claim that she shreds planes. This is not what I see in my games. CVs can drop targets 3km next to me without losing more than 1-2 planes. Thus I was wondering, if my build needs to be adjusted. Maybe dropping CE for manAA? Or DE for BFT? 

And this is for sure not something to boost my ego, I am not looking for compliments, or advice on gameplay. I am fully aware that my stats are not terabad, but I am looking to improve nonetheless. I posted my stats simply to be fully open, since I noticed that forumites like to bring them up.

[IDDQD]
Players
1,782 posts
16,139 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

SI

Superintendatnt is waste for Atanta = unlimited barage charges. I know its captain from wooster, just saying ;) DE  or BFT insted is right.  

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

1) First and foremost...Any good CV player will put his planes where a single Atlanta isn't.  Unless you can position yourself to support alot of ships (teamplay) where the CV has no choices left or close supporting a cap to help the DD with AA cover, forcing the CV's hand.

2) Second, putting ALL the AA skills and upgrades is completely overkill.  Completely overkill and unnecessary.

AFT is fantastic on the Atlanta like on most AA ships for the range.  The AA range MOD works well as an increase in accuracy doesn't really matter when your spitting shells out like billyO.

You do not need ManAA, completely overkill.  Only ships like the Mino, Alabama, NC (no defensive AA, yet fantasitc AA) and the like really need ManAA. 

My build:

CE, AFT, IHFE, BFT, AR, PM and PT.

IHFE is a must in my books and you can do without SI if you use premium consumables.  Using that many Defensive AA during a game means you have one stupid enemy CV player.  Radar is short. regarding DE, You throw that many shells, they will catch fire even with IFHE.  Remember the fire flags help alot too so make sure you don't leave them out.  Relying on fires to damage BB's and cruisers is not a good thing and far too RNG reliant. 

BFT also helps with your re-load don't forget? AA flags is great too.

So if you really have something against CV's, then by all means put everything on it.  But to wipe planes out you don't need to. AA flag, AA range MOD, BFT, AFT and your ready to go.

Just get that AA range out to max.  And dont use your AA when hes at max range, switch it off then put in on when he is close and puff! his planes have gone. 

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
3,822 battles
4 minutes ago, Quetak said:

in CV games thing is - turn off your AA at start. Your AA range is 7,2km with module and AFT, you air conceal is somewhere around 5,5km (not sure exactly). You want to bait planes closer othewise they will turn asap they see you, if CV has brain on. By turning AA off they will see you at 5,5km instead of 7,2km(your max AA range) so you will not scare them right when spotted. When spotted by planes turn AA and barage on and you have 2km buffer until they run out of your AA range. In that time you should kill lots of them. 

Specing dedicated AA build isnt needed in my experience. Just Module and AFT is okay. 

That AA turning off and on you should be doing whole game when CV is there, its sometimes just hard to remember to turn it on in heat of battle.   

Thanks, this is quite a solid advice. I usually disable aa only on my dds, and to reset the defAA cool down after cv strike. Never thought to use it the way described in your post.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,782 posts
16,139 battles
2 minutes ago, Hildegarnpl said:

CVs can drop targets 3km next to me without losing more than 1-2 planes.

its depends on CV also, Saipan planes are much more durable in comparison to standard T7 CVs planes. T8-9 CVs planes also. Its valid for silver T7 CVs and lower, these you will shred. Higher ones not so much, but still some will go down. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
5 minutes ago, Quetak said:

Superintendatnt is waste for Atanta = unlimited barage charges. I know its captain from wooster, just saying ;) DE  or BFT insted is right.  

Don't forget the extra radar charge though.

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles
3 minutes ago, Hildegarnpl said:

Well, in a thread on this forum multiple other players claim that she shreds planes. This is not what I see in my games. CVs can drop targets 3km next to me without losing more than 1-2 planes. Thus I was wondering, if my build needs to be adjusted. Maybe dropping CE for manAA? Or DE for BFT? 

And this is for sure not something to boost my ego, I am not looking for compliments, or advice on gameplay. I am fully aware that my stats are not terabad, but I am looking to improve nonetheless. I posted my stats simply to be fully open, since I noticed that forumites like to bring them up.

That ship you have was designed to protect fleets from AA during WW2.  That was it's whole goal and that mentaltly has been tranformed into this game.  50 is the max planes kills i have on mine, using the build i have described. 

2 x Atlanta's and 1 x Kaga is one Div i highly recommend.  All CV players love to see a friendly Atlanta in the team.  Unless it is sailed by a potato as it's a very unforgiving and hard to use ship. 

[IDDQD]
Players
1,782 posts
16,139 battles
Just now, Aotearas said:

one radar charge can be good, but 10% main gun dps(+20% AA dps) increase or 40% fire chance increase are much better I think. When 4th radar is needed most DDs are killed by me already :Smile_trollface:

Players
13 posts
3,822 battles
4 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Snip

Thanks for your input and advice. I will switch de to bft, and will doublecheck if I have the aa module installed. I might be running dispersion module atm.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
7 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

2 x Atlanta's and 1 x Kaga is one Div i highly recommend.  All CV players love to see a friendly Atlanta in the team.  Unless it is sailed by a potato as it's a very unforgiving and hard to use ship. 

No no no, you want the CV, an Atlanta and a Sims with DFAA!

Sims can smoke up the Atlanta and with BFT (which is a much less controversial pick on that ship since you don't need 4 points for IFHE) even a Sims AA with DFAA active can be a nasty surprise to a CV.

6 minutes ago, Quetak said:

one radar charge can be good, but 10% main gun dps(+20% AA dps) increase or 40% fire chance increase are much better I think. When 4th radar is needed most DDs are killed by me already :Smile_trollface:

Like I said, sharing the captain with Worcester and SI is a must there. If I were to make a purely Atlanta captain, it would be BFT for the 10% reload buff (AA dps is useless, anyone sees my Atlanta and aircraft won't even stay in render range of me) or DE for the fire chance.

• Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles
2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Shorter and not worth 3 points more on this ship.  Use SI on most cruisers, but not this one. 

Lives off concealment (CE), needs IFHE to do damage and AFT for the AA range in which it was designed for.

That leaves one 3 pointer and BFT is more useful in my books. Faster reload of main guns and makes up for no DefAA. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles
2 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Shorter and not worth 3 points more on this ship.  Use SI on most cruisers, but not this one. 

Lives off concealment (CE), needs IFHE to do damage and AFT for the AA range in which it was designed for.

That leaves one 3 pointer and BFT is more useful in my books. Faster reload of main guns and makes up for no DefAA. 

Like I said, sharing the captain with Worcester ...

• Funny 2

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Like I said, sharing the captain with Worcester ...

Stop being lazy and get her, her own captain.

What is this, company car sharing :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[DC-DK]
Players
2,168 posts
23,905 battles

shot-18_12.19_14_07.00-0013.thumb.jpg.aa765d109bb80cde4c3568ecc6665a81.jpg

I use my Helena commander, I know he has the catapult aircraft skill which is no use for Atlanta.

Sign in to follow this