You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ReapingKnight

AP Penetration Query

21 comments in this topic

Players
61 posts
3,565 battles

Hello,

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up but since one of the last patches, I and my clan mates a noticeable increase in Over-Pens instead of actual normal hits...mainly to broadside cruisers.

As an example I was in the Giulio Cesare and had full broadside Emerald at 6-7km away and had 6 Over-Pens when I aimed where the citadel would be, this has happened with all BB's from 5-10.

If it has been brought up already please close this thread and point me to the right place.

Thanks,

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
14,639 posts
10,869 battles

When you are too close, you get overpens, especially vs sheet metal covered ships that are not much wider than pencils. That is nothing new...

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,199 posts
6,775 battles

Just because you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel something has changed, doesn't mean it actually has.

BBs overpen everything exactly like they always did, nothing new there

Also what he said ^

• Cool 3

Players
61 posts
3,565 battles

So when something has worked before and then after a patch it doesn't work the same means there's no change...ok.

Thanks for replying.

• Boring 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,199 posts
6,775 battles
8 minutes ago, ReapingKnight said:

So when something has worked before and then after a patch it doesn't work the same means there's no change...ok.

Thanks for replying.

Except that it works just like it did. As I said - your feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings are wrong here

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,529 posts
5,864 battles

shot-18_12.17_19_33.15-0035.thumb.jpg.c785e13e0c8a72d50a49d303d2f06e7f.jpg

Guess its fine then?

Some days you simply are "unlucky" in getting citadels. Other days it works like a charm.

• Funny 2

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,227 battles

Might I ask a question.

In WoT penetration  is a variable.  There's an average. RNG will give you better or worse penetration.

Most of the discussion I've ever read and most of the videos I've ever watch talk about penetration as a fixed point i.e. non-variable in nature.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,435 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 5 Minuten, Hedgehog1963 sagte:

Might I ask a question.

In WoT penetration  is a variable.  There's an average. RNG will give you better or worse penetration.

Most of the discussion I've ever read and most of the videos I've ever watch talk about penetration as a fixed point i.e. non-variable in nature.

Penetration in WoWs is calculated without any RNG, in the same situation it will always be the same penetration.

It mostly depends on the distance and caliber. (high caliber = more pen, high distance = less pen)

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
9 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

In WoWs it's a simple stack of fixed calculations.

The only thing that is RNG is bouncing at certain angles.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,227 battles
21 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Penetration in WoWs is calculated without any RNG, in the same situation it will always be the same penetration.

It mostly depends on the distance and caliber. (high caliber = more pen, high distance = less pen)

I gathered as much.  Thanks.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,227 battles
21 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

In WoWs it's a simple stack of fixed calculations.

The only thing that is RNG is bouncing at certain angles.

Thanks for this.  A question answered.

Players
3,323 posts
5,771 battles

Funny, only today I was rubbing my hands, waiting in my Anshan for that Omaha to come around the island at 2,6 km fully broadside - little did I know, paperarmor can work against you, even with tiny DD-guns... :cap_fainting:

Players
293 posts
9,029 battles

You shot an emerald on the flat broadside for starters. Paper boats have more armour than that thing. So the shells would have just sailed through with a friendly ciao as they were leaving the other side.

[1DSF]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,978 posts
6,112 battles
7 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

shot-18_12.17_19_33.15-0035.thumb.jpg.c785e13e0c8a72d50a49d303d2f06e7f.jpg

Guess its fine then?

Some days you simply are "unlucky" in getting citadels. Other days it works like a charm.

Bringing NC as example is Bad either.  Was the only Ship which could still Citadel CA when AP was realy broken. :cap_haloween:

[SLACK]
Players
1 post
5,957 battles

@ReapingKnight I believe the recent change in AP penetration did not concern only DDs but all ships. 

Most posters above have some valid points about RNG and bad days, because this is all true. What is also true is my recent experience with T9-T10 BBs (mostly Musashi and Yamato. I am not considering Friedrich because he was always a bad shooter). I am consistently overpenning every ship - Montanas, Yamatos, T9-T10 cruisers, and, as was inteneded - DDs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that I want to play some yamato-deathmachine scoring cits every salvo (which I still do, sometimes :)), it's just that I found a significant increase in overpens lately. This is another post I read about this and it makes me think that it's not only my feelings ;) but something really has changed in game mechanics

[TS1]
Players
523 posts
7,592 battles
7 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

You shot an emerald on the flat broadside for starters. Paper boats have more armour than that thing. So the shells would have just sailed through with a friendly ciao as they were leaving the other side.

With the Emerald you really have to aim for the citadel. It's citadels or overpens. It's not a small target though, so she gets deleted easily enough.

[WWGU]
Players
1 post
8,029 battles

Italian BBs (at least the Roma) have really high shell velocity, that can lead to more overpenetrations when you would normally expect a penetration/citadel.