You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aschwell

Game Mechanics Suggestions

30 comments in this topic

[CR33D]
Players
252 posts
6,873 battles

Hello Guys!

I know there is another topic that focuses on these kind of suggestions but don´t know how many forum viewers visit it frankly.

So I am making this one as I have some points of improvements to the game I wan´t to see if you guys also think they are a good idea´s or not.

Let me know down below what you think and give also feedback to the suggestions or if you have your own. Just remember to focus on Game Mechanic topics.

This can be a chance to get notice of some things in the game where you (the community) can influence and WG takes the feedback and makes something out of it, that indirectly can be an improvement to World of Warships!

1. Spotting mechanic after firing main armament.
I do not agree why all the ships or ship classes in the game should have the same basic 20 sec penalty after firing their guns. This can be very punishing sometimes for especially DD´s but also Cruisers. Why should a small DD get penalized with 20 sec when it is enough in my opinion with perhaps 5-7 sec penalty.

My suggestion:

Base the firing penalty on the base concealment of the ships. (Excluded Harugumo perhaps) since she is very powerful. (Khaba base CE is already high so no problem there).
This way most DD´s would be able to engage more openly vs each other without being too scared to open up the guns. This would benefit their gameplay greatly.
Same applies to most of the cruisers.

BB - 20-25 sec 
CA - 12-18 sec

DD - 5-7 sec

Proposition of firing penalites above and how they would be (generally) if a rehaul to this mechanic took place.  Please note (My suggestions).
(Note that a lot of factors would need to be taken into consideration to make this work for all the classes without breaking gameplay).

2. Same Gun sounds on most of the cruisers

Am I the only one that finds it really weird that most of the cruisers in the game have the same gun sounds even though different calibers.
I think we can agree that most premiums have different gun sounds because being premiums and payed ships. Such as Atago and Tirpitz. Probably more but cannot remember now. I think this is a bit lazy of WG and could be easily adressed to create more immersion when playing these ships even though the game is more of an Arcade game. There are of course silver tech tree ships that have different gun sounds even though same caliber but those are not a lot from what I recall.

Ships that sound the same and I am going to focus on the cruisers but there are DD´s and BB´s that have similar problems.

Stalingrad 305mm
Krohnstadt 305mm
Henri IV 240mm
Moskva 220mm
Des Moines 203mm
Zao 203mm
Hindenburg 203mm
All 152mm cruisers (I think)

This is just a shortlist and is far from perfect since Stalingrad is reward ship, Krohn is free exp ship etc. But I think you understand where I am going here. How can a Stalingrad or even Moskva sound the same as a Des Moines for example? For me that is kinda boring. When I got my Z-52 I was really surprised by the cool gun sound it had that I really enjoy playing it even more because of only the gun sound.

Please come with your thought´s and suggestions down below and also please don´t be trolling and have a nice tone to each other. I do not pretend to be the best in knowledge of the Game Mechanics and many others are not as well so don´t be condenscending to others if you know more and please be constructive!
 Have a nice day!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
1,677 posts
9,138 battles
1 hour ago, Aschwell said:

Agreed, although 5-7 seconds might be somewhat short, even more cause we already have enough ppl claiming DDs are OP now with BB AP changes ;)

Maybe more like DD ~ 10, CA~15, BB~20 (with possible specials depending on CA/CL difference, calibre difference, etc)

And if I remember correctly, there was a stream a while ago where the devs or PR guys said that such a differentiation would make sense. I have no idea though if it is somewhere on their ToDo list. Probably not since it would get a lot of flak from BBkevins.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,340 posts
5,195 battles
45 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

And if I remember correctly, there was a stream a while ago where the devs or PR guys said that such a differentiation would make sense. I have no idea though if it is somewhere on their ToDo list. Probably not since it would get a lot of flak from BBkevins.

And if I remember correctly they have said this mechanic would make sense for quite some time now, so I would not hold my breath.

Still they did finally make that BB AP change so what do I know.

[BS4]
Players
764 posts
5,139 battles
1 hour ago, Aschwell said:

1. Spotting

I might be alone here but Recently I have felt that there has been an influx of spotter planes.?

Had a game yesterday where I was pretty much spotted the whole match and continually focused by long range BB's. Couldn't use my concealment to any advantage. Fustrating game play to say the least. its occurred to me that with the cv re launch this is gunna get worse...

Id like to see some reduction on this although I confess im not sure of the best route to suggest.

Beta Tester
3,905 posts
13,831 battles
5 hours ago, ollonborre said:

And if I remember correctly they have said this mechanic would make sense for quite some time now, so I would not hold my breath.

A lon, long, long, looooooooooong time ago there already was some suggestion about relating spotting time to the used guns' calibre in mm. Like 0.1 second for every 1 mm

So big guns with a big BOOM would be in the 30 seconds+ range, while the 120 mm DD guns would go down to 12 seconds, making DDs and Cruisers disappear faster after they stop firing.

Of course this would have been a nerf to WGs most valuable customers - the BB community - and it never was really mentioned again from WG's side... no longer being able to go invisible 20 seconds after firing each salvo would probably have been too devastating to BBs competitiveness... ^^

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,543 posts
5,884 battles

5-7 secs for DDs is way too low. It would be too annoying for others to turn the turrets only looking at a DD disappearing. What you gonna do then? Stare off contest with a DD? While doing nothing? Thats wrong.

20 Sec is just too low for BBs - thats the problem.

I think we should maybe go with

15 for DDs

20 for Cruisers as it is

30 for BBs

and be done with it.

Most BBs will be spotted, unless those who got >30 sec reload and are not running AR. Both other classes have to sacrifice damage in order to "check" if they will be unspotted (well mainly Cruisers tho). BBs get that automatically in between shots. If they are hardspotted after 20 secs, they even know that something is approaching.

The worst BB offender is actually Republique with his 20 sec reload. Just yesterday in CBs i was shooting one with Hindi, and due to my 10 sec reload, my shooting interval matched his perfectly. So every 2nd time i tried to shoot him, he disapperead, while i was looking at the muzzle flash of his guns. Thx to the bug, i had to target him manually after that :cap_old:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,905 posts
13,831 battles
48 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think we should maybe go with

15 for DDs

20 for Cruisers as it is

30 for BBs

and be done with it.

Too global...

Make it 2.5 seconds base + 0.1 sec/mm which would even put the 76mm guns to 10.1 seconds and Your wish is fulfilled...

[10GO]
Players
355 posts
9,560 battles
2 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Get rid of detonation?

A total none skilled RNG kill.

You cant do that.... how would i make my friends laugh when i call my next detonation just before i get into battle :(

The Gunsounds are something of an issue to me to, that 100-130 mm Pops of the guns is really meh, the fletcher used to have some really nice sounds not to far from an original 127mm gun i want those back.

Spotting is a nice idea but that would make cruisers to powerfull at certain times and as much as it pains me to admit the BBKevins may have a point there to some degree because some Cruisers can then just stand back fully trained broadside and shoot when ever a BB is looking elsewhere and i would be the first to abuse the living S*** out of it. So many times ships apractically invisible for long stretches of the game it is not even funny anymore.

Players
296 posts
9,029 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

You cant do that.... how would i make my friends laugh when i call my next detonation just before i get into battle :(

I always apologise when I det someone who is near full health.

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
Players
252 posts
6,873 battles

Agree, perhaps 5-7 sec is too low. 10 sec would be better depending on the DD.

Far many times I know I would love too shoot at another DD contesting a cap who is spotted, but I fear his team who is supporting him and my team is oblivious on what´s going on. Those times I have taken the fight I then have to dodge like 5-7 ships shooting me and my team doesn´t even sneeze at the enemy DD.

Also, 30+ sec for BB is too much. One way to fix that thing is to not let any BB in the same tier as a cruiser have better concealment. Looking at you Conquerer!

I have contacted MrConway about these two ideas but he is a busy guy so can´t be nagging on him. That´s why the community needs to raise their voices and try to be heard.

Regarding detonation, I have given up that fight. Some people like some don´t. But there are a lot of other things that could be improved for better and more fun gameplay!

Players
1,537 posts
6,477 battles
26 minutes ago, Aschwell said:

That´s why the community needs to raise their voices and try to be heard.

Been doing that for 5 years and look where that has got us.

It's a defeatist attitude which sucks, but a competly founded one. 

I really like the idea :Smile_great: but it's not gonna happen because of £££££££££.

[ADRIA]
Players
305 posts
10,679 battles
18 hours ago, Aschwell said:

I do not agree why all the ships or ship classes in the game should have the same basic 20 sec penalty after firing their guns. This can be very punishing sometimes for especially DD´s but also Cruisers. Why should a small DD get penalized with 20 sec when it is enough in my opinion with perhaps 5-7 sec penalty.

It make sense that ships with lower gun caliber shouldn't have same detection time after shooting as 400mm+ BBs BUT I think this would make some DDs a bit OP. Basically you could shoot, set BB on fire and go into stealth before BB could even turn his guns around. When the fire is dmg con or burns out just repeat: shoot, set on fire, get stealth in couple of seconds. 

18 hours ago, Aschwell said:

2. Same Gun sounds on most of the cruisers

Am I the only one that finds it really weird that most of the cruisers in the game have the same gun sounds even though different calibers.

I really have nothing to comment here. I don't use ingame sounds, I either listen to music or chat on discord  :Smile_teethhappy:

Game mechanic I would like to see changed is:

1. Ship dmg if hitting islands - it doesn't make sense to purposely ram an island to stop in a second or dodge torps. make it so that when a ship hits island it floods the ship

2. 2km auto detection - why is it same across the board? why do we auto detect ship at 2km even if he is behind an island and there is no way to see it? also why do we auto detect at 2km DDs, cruisers and BBs? Make it 2km for DDs, 3km for cruiser and 4km for BBs or example. 

3. XP and credits rewards - it's not a game mechanic but why not reward players that do well regardless of win or lose. If a player does exceptionally well, does everything right, pull his weight and then some,  but still loses the game, why not reward him same as top players on winning team

4. more layers, complexity to the game -  Add ground forces (coastal artillery), let them shoot us and let us shoot back. Add troop landings, port assault and/or protecting convoys as side/bonus "mission" in a random game. Give us more to do, more mayhem in a random game. 

5. operations - More historical RL operations as Dunkirk 

Started with game mechanic, drifted off towards general game improvements, sorry about that :Smile_teethhappy:

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,193 posts
11,916 battles
11 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

15 for DDs

20 for Cruisers as it is

30 for BBs 

Would also not go below 15 secs for DDs as this is the minimum reload of a typical BB gun and having Expert Loader spec'ed (which I kind of consider a reference value for this kind of things). Apart from that the reloads for the other classes are debatable. 20 secs is still not helping cruisers as they will not go invis in between shots (same as now), but 30 secs for BBs might be ok as this may limit their DPM if they want to maneuvre unseen and increase the amount of gun fire they might need to tank before going invis again.

The current system is strange in the way that it may severly limit your DPM if fighting the "wrong" ship, e.g. Atago (15 secs reload) vs. Republique (20ish secs reload), where the Atago might end up with the same reload speed of the Republique because the later vanishes in between salvos.

[CR33D]
Players
252 posts
6,873 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Been doing that for 5 years and look where that has got us.

It's a defeatist attitude which sucks, but a competly founded one. 

I really like the idea :Smile_great: but it's not gonna happen because of £££££££££.

Yeah I know, but some things have forced the devs to change. Thing is, the best vote is to do it with our wallets, but that´s not gonna happen I guess.

33 minutes ago, quickr said:

It make sense that ships with lower gun caliber shouldn't have same detection time after shooting as 400mm+ BBs BUT I think this would make some DDs a bit OP. Basically you could shoot, set BB on fire and go into stealth before BB could even turn his guns around. When the fire is dmg con or burns out just repeat: shoot, set on fire, get stealth in couple of seconds. 

I really have nothing to comment here. I don't use ingame sounds, I either listen to music or chat on discord  :Smile_teethhappy:

Game mechanic I would like to see changed is:

1. Ship dmg if hitting islands - it doesn't make sense to purposely ram an island to stop in a second or dodge torps. make it so that when a ship hits island it floods the ship

2. 2km auto detection - why is it same across the board? why do we auto detect ship at 2km even if he is behind an island and there is no way to see it? also why do we auto detect at 2km DDs, cruisers and BBs? Make it 2km for DDs, 3km for cruiser and 4km for BBs or example. 

3. XP and credits rewards - it's not a game mechanic but why not reward players that do well regardless of win or lose. If a player does exceptionally well, does everything right, pull his weight and then some,  but still loses the game, why not reward him same as top players on winning team

4. more layers, complexity to the game -  Add ground forces (coastal artillery), let them shoot us and let us shoot back. Add troop landings, port assault and/or protecting convoys as side/bonus "mission" in a random game. Give us more to do, more mayhem in a random game. 

Started with game mechanic, drifted off towards general game improvements, sorry about that :Smile_teethhappy:

1. Excellent idea

2. Also good point

3. Agree, War Thunder does it a bit like that. If you did good and still loose you still get satisfaction in decent rewards for doing good and not being punished for the potatoing of your teammates.

4. Some things could be added but these look like a far shot away I´m afraid knowing WG.

5. Yeah would be more fun. I have these ideas as mini events and one is being planned now even though it´s not really historical.

[CR33D]
Players
252 posts
6,873 battles
9 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Would also not go below 15 secs for DDs as this is the minimum reload of a typical BB gun and having Expert Loader spec'ed (which I kind of consider a reference value for this kind of things). Apart from that the reloads for the other classes are debatable. 20 secs is still not helping cruisers as they will not go invis in between shots (same as now), but 30 secs for BBs might be ok as this may limit their DPM if they want to maneuvre unseen and increase the amount of gun fire they might need to tank before going invis again.

That´s why BB players need to start learning in using and sticking to their cruisers more. With so many radars that wouldn´t be the worlds biggest issue for a BB if he is close enough. But yeah having that 1 or 10 line lonely HE spamming BB is not fun for any team and if u ask me they deserve a quick finish with Shima torps :Smile_trollface:

But ofc, as I said. The point of this change would not be to buff or break any ship type but to make it more sensible if logical if that makes sense.

Beta Tester
808 posts
7,984 battles

With this nonsense change in the latest patch...I don’t believe for a second DD in particular needs any buff..directly or indirectly. Every ship has the same penalty because it makes it fair and equal for everyone across the board. Let’s just give DD 10 second detection time...wait for 30 sec bb to shoot...dakakakaak for 10 seconds and then go undetected..rinse and repeat for the win. As a cruiser player myself I don’t see the need for such change. You can already kite and burn crap down at the enemy expense. This change would have been more ok with the pre-BBAP patch.

Players
941 posts
8,495 battles
7 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Get rid of detonation?

A total none skilled RNG kill.

A shell penetrates and hits a magazine... Detonation. Happens in real life why not here?

@quickr

1. Absolutely agree that an Island ram should incur a flooding penalty. Haven't seen a ship yet who hasn't torn a hull from an impact on rocks.

HMS Nottingham springs to mind....

2. Have to say that I also agree... as a DD primary.. it takes away a sneak attack possibility to be auto detected behind an Island because my opponent/target is closer than 2km.

3. Not so important for me.

4. Coastal targets/gun sites/artillery/airfields in normal games might stifle game play because there is already enough to do.

5. Totally agree.

[NWP]
Players
3,543 posts
5,884 battles
1 hour ago, quickr said:

1. It certainly would make sense, but i feel it would make the game less fun overall - pretty much everyone is beaching at some point. Ive beached several times because WG cant properly show the boundaries of the islands, so you just get stuck despite in looking like you should pass. Also what happens if you manage to maneuver in those nice bays where you hardly ever get out? Initial beaching -> flooding = DCP -> Reverse because no option -> flooding again.

Looking at all that: I wouldnt like to see something like that in game.

2. Because TASM exists, it wouldnt be right. We would end up with 3/4,5/6! km detection because of that. Just yesterday i had an enemy mino running TASM :Smile_facepalm: I dont think we need to punish BBs even more by making them camp in the spawn, because only ppl who push would get screwed by that.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

Sometimes the most useless players get to be top (or atleast close) XP earners in the team. Looking at maxrange HE spamming BBs :Smile_sceptic:

First we would need to make sure, that the people who play for the win get more XP than the others. But since damage is rewarded the most, it already gets screwed by that.

• Cool 1

Players
941 posts
8,495 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

1. It certainly would make sense, but i feel it would make the game less fun overall - pretty much everyone is beaching at some point. Ive beached several times because WG cant properly show the boundaries of the islands, so you just get stuck despite in looking like you should pass. Also what happens if you manage to maneuver in those nice bays where you hardly ever get out? Initial beaching -> flooding = DCP -> Reverse because no option -> flooding again.

Looking at all that: I wouldnt like to see something like that in game.

Never thought of that outcome.. I have on occasion been trapped in an area I just cannot get out of near or next to an island.. I think you're dead right there.

[TS1]
Players
529 posts
7,592 battles

I'm with the 15s, 20s, 30s, for DDs, cruisers and BBs respectively crowd. But the 15s for DDs is far less important than the 30s for BBs. No ship should be able to fire their guns at maximum frequency and still go undetected between shots. Having ships constantly blink in and out of view is something WG has said they want to reduce.

11 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Too global...

I think it's okay to have fairly simple rules for the gun bloom time, but not as simple as they are now.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

I think they had damage from grounding in early alpha or beta, but they removed it because it wasn't fun. Also, with the way flooding currently works, if you get flooding while your damage control is on cooldown you take massive amounts of damage. I've heard that they're thinking of reworking how DoT works, probably because of the CV rework, which is a good thing. I don't think the way DoT works now is all that good.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

Sounds good in theory, but I think it would give DDs far too much of an advantage in smoke and ambush situations.

Also, what @DFens_666 said about that being combined with TASM is a big thing since it'd make you practially have constant hydro against bigger ships.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

Absolutely not. The game is focused on doing damage too much as it is. We don't need more of that. It's very hard to pinpoint exactly what actions are actually contributing the most to winning, so just winning will have to do. I'd even link credits income to wins if I didn't think that'd be really demoralising for players.

As a sidenote: top player keeping his star in ranked should be removed for the same reason.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

We had Bastion mode. Very few players liked it so it was removed. Otherwise, troop transportation is in Operation Dynamo. I think we should have more ops like that. But as for randoms. Eh, I'm not sure. Just having caps seem to be too hard for many players to grasp.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

I don't really care about historical operations specifically, I just want more ops in general.

[NATOA]
Beta Tester
25 posts
3,078 battles

I would like to see more operations in general. I mean we have ops specifically for the allies, ( 3 ops that only allied ships can participate) A bit of equal love for the German and Jap trees would be nice. But also just more in general, they grow a bit stale after a while. 

As to other points well, several players have worded it far better than I.

Beta Tester
3,905 posts
13,831 battles
10 hours ago, quickr said:

Yeah, well, sure... can't expect (BB) players to have to use their brains to evade such situations... ^^