Saiyko

World of Warships on Linux Guide

15 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1,680 posts
9,138 battles

You might have heard until now there were options (i.e. a lot of fiddling) to make wows work under linux, but that still left certain things either subpar or even not working.

I have tried it myself finally, with the proton layer that is built in with steam, and it works like a charm, which finally allowed me to fully delete the Spy&BloatWare that is winX.

I tried it under ubuntu mate 18.10 myself, so I expect any ubuntu (debian) derivative to go as well.

---

Basic steps

- install Steam, goto Settings - Steam Play, enable both "enable steam play for all titles" and "use this tool [proton 3.7.8] in stead of..."

- update drivers. I went with 3.90 nvidia proprietary myself

- install steam's WoWs

- remove or rename ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/World of Warships/steam_api.dll so you can log in with your normal (i.e. non steam) account

- and there you go :)

---

[begin update (02/01/2019)]

- specific: I have resweeped my system and went with Manjaro. Probably because of the rolling release nature of it, the game works even smoother.

- general: there seem to be general troubles with getting into the arsenal/inventory. To fix this you need to install MS core fonts.

- debian & derivatives + ubuntu & derivatives: sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

- arch/manjaro: yay ttf-ms-fonts (or whatever pacman wrapper you would use)

- slow loading of the ingame browser (arsenal, clans?, inventory) etc, is helped by editing the file "/etc/systemd/system.conf". Adjust the line "#DefaultLimitNOFILE" to "DefaultLimitNOFILE=8192". This is only valid for systemD systems, but that should be most distributions these days.

[end update]

In case you're wondering about other typical apps. Discord has linux specific editions (deb files in my case), and teamspeak can be built from github, both working.

Just helping people to get rid of the BS MS train.

To any mods, and/or @MrConway

I posted this under gameplay (just like e.g.

) cause in the end it is the most watched subforum. Whether you keep it here or not, can you make it sticky somewhere as a collection of user's experiences with linux+wows. Recently, and especially 2018 with steam+proton, linux has made huge strides regarding gaming, so we can finally go away from the do it yourself/at your own risk approach.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

14 answers to this question

Players
1,680 posts
9,138 battles
2 minutes ago, bratisla_boy said:

Even with systemd ? :Smile_trollface:

Sigh, I know. Apparantly you can go back to upstart in ubuntu (https://appuals.com/remove-systemd-ubuntu-permanently/) though I have no experience with it.

4 minutes ago, bratisla_boy said:

What kind of graphic card do you have on your system ? (I remember some very frustating moments with AMD, but apparently situation is better now ?)

You did see me saying I installed nvidia proprietary, right? :Smile-_tongue:

Anyway, I run a 1060/6GB

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,139 posts
2,239 battles

Gameplay is not the right section for this thread, but I'll gladly pin it here!  :)

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
719 battles

Even with systemd ? :Smile_trollface:

Thanks for sharing your experience ! What kind of graphic card do you have on your system ? (I remember some very frustating moments with AMD, but apparently situation is better now ?)

[LEOND]
[LEOND]
Alpha Tester
1,170 posts
4,733 battles

AMD is still frustrating up to a point (or at least I did not found an easy solution to some problems with their drivers outside of Ubuntu rolling releases)

DirectX 11 is still not working with stock wine (though Proton or DXVK should work fine) while directX9 works out of the box

and than there is still the a mouse bug on some systems that prevents a 360° turnaround in anything else but windowed mode+virtual desktop (still don't know why or how to solve it)

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles
3 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

Anyway, I run a 1060/6GB

Do you get the same FPS with running World of Warships under Linux in comparison with World of Warships running on a Windows (10) system?

Players
1,680 posts
9,138 battles
12 minutes ago, MaxxyNL said:

Do you get the same FPS with running World of Warships under Linux in comparison with World of Warships running on a Windows (10) system?

Almost exactly the same, I'm still twiddling with some settings. At the moment it is better than winX when I disable the ingame AA and tweak the nvidia settings to override. (though that's not telling a lot I guess cause the same should be possible in winX (right?), but I never did that)

edit: never mind, I did do that in winX, too long ago to remember immediately. Linux FPS is better.

edit: never mind v 2.0: I can't really compare. I just realized I used Vsync in WinX, and I'm not too sure about all the graphics options I used there. Short version is I don't notice any real difference.

[LEOND]
[LEOND]
Alpha Tester
1,170 posts
4,733 battles

Not having WinX to test but talking with people in game who have you get equal fps but the game/match loads much faster

Players
1,680 posts
9,138 battles
2 hours ago, thiextar said:

Linux is great for programming and similar tasks, but is just a pointless pain for gaming and everything else tbh.

Did you read my post?

Except for some specific settings to enable and some different lingo, it is almost the exact same thing as installing a game on a winbox. (ie couldn't be further away from "pointless pain")

If anything is still "difficult" regarding gaming on linux, it is because MS has infiltrated the market with some debatable strategies, and users are too lazy/stupid to change, often with 20 year olds paradigms of linux in their head (I should remind myself to wish you a happy 2009 next month btw), which makes game developers reluctant to invest much time in it.

The lovely thing about Valve/steam investing here, is it will attract at least some users/consumers to switch or at least give it a try. More users on alternative systems will make more & more devs interested.

It is just a question of breaking the vicious circle.

(Also, I'm not even sure what you mean by "everything else"...)

[LEOND]
[LEOND]
Alpha Tester
1,170 posts
4,733 battles
On 12/16/2018 at 8:22 PM, captainronrico said:

I have one problem that is audio lag/distorted

but it's playable

alsa or pulse audio and which version of wine?  

(there are known issues with alsa and wine-staging/proton, switching to pulse audio and/or stock wine can solve it)

Players
1,680 posts
9,138 battles

Added an update, mainly in regards to troubles concerning linux and arsenal and inventory.

Problems there are caused by WoWs using an internal browser ingame (chrome clone?)

Interestingly enough I discovered that you can go into your arsenal from any external browser through http://arsenal.worldofwarships.com/. You might need to login into your account first through e.g. the shop.

Players
5 posts
3,708 battles
On 12/20/2018 at 7:00 AM, kodos said:

alsa or pulse audio and which version of wine?  

(there are known issues with alsa and wine-staging/proton, switching to pulse audio and/or stock wine can solve it)

pulse audio with proton 3.16-4

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,683 battles

Linux is great for programming and similar tasks, but is just a pointless pain for gaming and everything else tbh.

• Cool 1