You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NothingButTheRain

Is there any point to the Bismarck?

48 comments in this topic

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles

I've had this ship for a long time now, but put off grinding it due to me simply not knowing how to make it work.

I somewhat managed to get it to work kinda, by playing it mainly as a HE spamming torp spotter. Before that, to me it appeared to be either pure masochism or don't play it.

But frankly, now that I played a couple battles in it again, I really hate it.

When top tier, the horrible dispersion makes this ship kinda useless. Sure I can use hydro/bi-catafighters together with vigilance to somewhat be able to go into the front line, but in this meta it doesn't seem very tanky at all. Either I melt or the person in front of me gets melted.

I'm like 85k xp to the supposedly more horrible tier 9 BB of the German BB line, but is there any point?

At least the Gneisenau had torps to yolorush an enemy, but according to my stats I did more average damage per game in Bayern than in Gneisenau :Smile_facepalm:

And Bismarck seems even worse.

How is this piece of junk supposed to be played? And what's the 'fun' in this? I thought this was a game, but this feels more like some job or something :Smile_sceptic:

edit:

Looking at my average damage per game, in Bismarck my average damage is 50.9k.

My average damage in Gneisenau is 51,3k

And my average damage in Bayern is 53,9k.

Now I'm wondering, what the hell is the point of this POS? And the tier 9 of this line is supposed to be even worse?

I'd sell this POS right away (despite its permacamo) if it weren't for the coal. But I won't go through a line filled with pain, this is not my job.

Now maybe I missed something very obvious or something, but to me this line seems as pointless as Izumo was when I started with her and I won't go repeat that same mistake (the best thing I did with Izumo is FXP the rest instead of torturing myself with that hunk of junk).

This line needs some SERIOUS buff, but like the Izumo buffs it will be too little too late I guess. I really hate this ship.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
1,393 posts
12,202 battles

Secondaries + fire prevention... Then push with support where the enemy lines are weak. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,404 posts
12,179 battles
6 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I somewhat managed to get it to work kinda, by playing it mainly as a HE spamming torp spotter.

I'm like 85k xp to the supposedly more horrible tier 9 BB of the German BB line, but is there any point?

At least the Gneisenau had torps to yolorush an enemy, but according to my stats I did more average damage per game in Bayern than in Gneisenau :Smile_facepalm:

And Bismarck seems even worse.

How is this piece of junk supposed to be played? And what's the 'fun' in this? I thought this was a game, but this feels more like some job or something :Smile_sceptic:

Well there’s part of the problem

if you’re playing a BB as a HE spammer. Royal Navy it is not.

Just watch the many videos by CC’s on how to play Bismarck. In short it’s a brawler and a pretty mean one at that.

Also, the T9 is not as week as people make out. Fat Freddie is a powerful ship, if you’ve mastered the Bismarck first. If you can’t master Bismarck you’ve no chance of getting good results from the T9 & 10 German BB’s

• Cool 3

[TTT]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
7 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I somewhat managed to get it to work kinda, by playing it mainly as a HE spamming torp spotter.

and you really wonder where your problem is? :fish_palm:

Bismarck guns arent half bad when used at their optimal range - which is considerably shorter than for most other BBs, and that requires both guts and a brain to make use of. If you lack one of the two, you're much better off with the other BB lines...

• Cool 5

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • her guns hit hard
  • she is tough
  • her secondaries can be helpful, when you have the points to spare

Her guns can't hit crap!

She melts like ice cream in the sun when exposed to any amount of fire.

16pt cap right now, it doesn't really seem to work. I can't get close enough and my heal is simply too weak to compensate for the amount of spam I receive.

I'd rather have this thing have a proper citadel and be more resilient in some other way, but this is just no good as it is.

I'm happy for the people that love this line, but Bayern seemed to be the best ship in the line and it went all downhill from there.

Did I mention that I really hate this ship?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles
2 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Well there’s part of the problem

if you’re playing a BB as a HE spammer. Royal Navy it is not.

Just watch the many videos by CC’s on how to play Bismarck. In short it’s a brawler and a pretty mean one at that.

Also, the T9 is not as week as people make out. Fat Freddie is a powerful ship, if you’ve mastered the Bismarck first. If you can’t master Bismarck you’ve no chance of getting good results from the T9 & 10 German BB’s

Yes, this is indeed the problem. But this thing has very poor accuracy and pen and perhaps you think I'm some lamo f******d that doesn't know how to shoot with AP, but I I beg to differ.

Shooting at broadside enemies and seeing 8 shells miss and one bounce of a Monarch, fun! not

This thing is totally unrewarding to play.

I think I made up my mind, after I get the snowflake coal this thing gets ragesold.

Thank you all for the comments, this topic can now be closed.

• Boring 1

[SHAD]
Players
938 posts

It's not the best ship right now but it is still solid.

It's HE is shocking and should almost never be used.

Try AP!

Secondaries and hydro can make DDs a little nervous getting close to you.

Guns, armour and fire starting secondaries make it decent against  battleships.

It's only flaw is it's accuracy so you do have to close the distance to use it effectively.

It works very well as a pushing ship when supported, it can tank very well.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,628 posts
3,175 battles

She is a brawler.

I've had her a year and done nothing with her as she was my first T8 and I was sick of being in T10 games every battle, and getting nuked by the bigger longer reaching BB's as you try to do your job and push in with the support of your team

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles
6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

and you really wonder where your problem is? :fish_palm:

Bismarck guns arent half bad when used at their optimal range - which is considerably shorter than for most other BBs, and that requires both guts and a brain to make use of. If you lack one of the two, you're much better off with the other BB lines...

They are actually half bad when used at optimal range.

They are considerably shorter ranged due to it's crap accuracy, but you forgot about its bad pen.

But I guess you must think that I lack either guts or a brain. I had expected to (despite my saltiness) receive at least decently serious replies instead of a stealthed insult. I had enough of those insults from certain players back when I asked about my Kongo play and I dumped the remarks by these repsonses like yours, I took the more serious ones to heard and look at my Kongo stats now.

But Bismarck seems to be another story.

Insults like yours are not welcomed here. To puke those in another topic.

• Boring 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,378 posts
8,054 battles
14 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

16pt cap right now, it doesn't really seem to work.

Please provide a screenshot of your captain build and the upgrades you use on the Bismarck.

edit:

and for best help also a recent replay

Edited by principat121

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles
2 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

She is a brawler.

I've had her a year and done nothing with her as she was my first T8 and I was sick of being in T10 games every battle, and getting nuked by the bigger longer reaching BB's as you try to do your job and push in with the support of your team

With what support? You really think they will support you?

Btw, you think ---> I <--- am not sick of getting matches like this one?

shot-18_12.14_14_33.57-0999.thumb.jpg.3e41fbe97c74d3339c9bb2a62c1ee633.jpg

How the hell am I to pen tier 10 BBs with AP this crap?

DDs I don't even bother shooting, only overpens IF I HIT AT ALL!

Even Zao will bounce my AP shells if he knows how to angle. The only ship I could reliably pen is their Minos.

This was the last game I played today.

• Cool 1

[YAMUM]
Players
1,835 posts
20,811 battles

tbh, if u hate her, there's simply no point in goin on it any further. anything that comes afterwards all in all share the same characteristics.

bismarck is one of my absolute fav, it is not in need of any buff imo.

sweetspot is mid to closerange (est. 15-8 km?). don't expose too much, hold strategic points, push into weak flanks... t10 only turns it into a vervyveryvery good cruiser (i kinda never shoot he on her).

this is my stats on her:

Bismarck   Bismarck   8   Germany   253   62.06%   1 689   61 321   0.96   3.23

dmg could be higher, but many times u gonna find urself fighting dd's, at least if u cater the ships strenghts ;).

hopei could help a bit. but really, if u hate her: don't play her!

edith tells about captn spec:

pm, 2nd plane

ar

bft

man secs, fp, aft

modules:

aux arms 1, dmgcs 1, sec bat 2, steer 2, target acq. (from which hydro also benefits from; concealment legit alternative --> most wouldn't even say so the other way round :Smile_trollface:)

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
20,414 posts
12,542 battles
14 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Her guns can't hit crap!

She melts like ice cream in the sun when exposed to any amount of fire.

16pt cap right now, it doesn't really seem to work. I can't get close enough and my heal is simply too weak to compensate for the amount of spam I receive.

I'd rather have this thing have a proper citadel and be more resilient in some other way, but this is just no good as it is.

I'm happy for the people that love this line, but Bayern seemed to be the best ship in the line and it went all downhill from there.

Did I mention that I really hate this ship?

Then you are too far away.

Chosing the right distance is the challenge for Bismarck players.

Too far away and you cannot hit. Too close too early and you get focused out of the match.

• Cool 1

Players
4,672 posts
9,551 battles
3 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

tbh, if u hate her, there's simply no point in goin on it any further. anything that comes afterwards all in all share the same characteristics.

bismarck is one of my absolute fav, it is not in need of any buff imo.

sweetspot is mid to closerange (est. 15-8 km?). don't expose too much, hold strategic points, push into weak flanks... t10 only turns it into a vervyveryvery good cruiser (i kinda never shoot he on her).

this is my stats on her:

dmg could be higher, but many times u gonna find urself fighting dd's, at least if u cater the ships strenghts ;).

hopei could help a bit. but really, if u hate her: don't play her!

Here are my Monarch stats:

Monarch   Monarch 8 U.K. 70 70% 1 433 65 945 0.89 0.81

Details

And I liked Monarch a lot more then I like Bismarck.

Thanks for your advice, I made up my mind and I'm selling this POS once I get its coal. I'm absolutely done with it.

I've already requested this topic be closed.

• Cool 1

Players
4,717 posts
8,425 battles
1 minute ago, MrWastee said:

This, I guess. Not all ships can work for everybody.

You already have other high tier BBs, not worth it imo if it doesnt work.

Edit:

3 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Thanks for your advice, I made up my mind and I'm selling this POS once I get its coal. I'm absolutely done with it.

I've already requested this topic be closed.

ah ok :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
6,805 posts
7,602 battles
4 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

Should i call a doctor for you? 253 games and still sane? :cap_haloween:

I really didnt like it. Hated FDG more afterwards tho... which i skipped with FreeXP. GK is a breath of fresh air after those 2.

But i do recommend shooting AP with it. Usually its still like miss...miss...miss.. couple of citas... 2 overpens.... miss :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,130 posts
27,984 battles

I love the Bismark, fun ship, helps to improve skills.

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
845 posts

Grinded that ship without ever firing 1 HE shell on her main guns.

My winrate in her is bad but my average damage is over 69k. And I saw alot of tier 10s in her.

Tanking worked and I used my secondaries alot. Was a relaxing grind to be honest.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,536 posts
9,168 battles

I'd be interested if anyone can recommend a good 'How to Bismark' video/written tutorial - I'm struggling a bit to adjust to the lack of torps (compared to Tirpitz, Scharn/Gneis).

I've been having occasional fun against bots in Bismark, but I'm pretty sure I'm a complete liability against real people...

[BABBY]
Players
500 posts
9,017 battles
27 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

For me best bb of the german tree is the Scharnhorst :Smile_trollface:

My experience with Bismarck is that she absolutely kicks a$$ when top tier and struggles in T10, contrary to NC which is meh as top tier and way stronger in T10 battles than Bismarck

[SCRUB]
Players
5,583 posts
11,466 battles
34 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Bayern is the literal worst of the line 1.0

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[HEATH]
Players
177 posts
16,046 battles

I got Bismark last year campaign if i remember right, and was one of  my 1st tier VIII ships ( zero experience in tier IX and X) and i felt it like a great ship. Have with her 56,28% win rate in 215 games. The build  i have is around fire rezist and secondaries. Still a favorite ship but i didnt play it from long time. 12-15 km were the guns works good.

• Cool 1