You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Giorgio_marksman

Yamato- How to position?

16 comments in this topic

[R7S]
Players
18 posts
2,626 battles

I just got the Yamato (2 days ago) and I only have around 10 battles in it. The second was fairly good (140k damage) but in all the others I only have 70-90k damage done per battle. All of the time I think i’m out of position, sometimes i’m too far behind and can’t deal a lot of damage before the match ends and others i’m too far in front and get killed with 60-70k damage done. Most of the matches I loose around 20-30k credits. Any help on positioning?:Smile_Default: Thank you very much guys!

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,002 posts
8,016 battles

Yamato is the best long range BB, stay at around 20km if you are slugging with other battlesips. Move closer as soon as your team has an advantage and always put a friendly DD or cruiser between you and the enemy. If there is a CV in the game, find a friendly AA cruiser and marry her.

Try to avoid sub 10km brawls with other ships.

• Funny 3
  • Bad 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,377 posts
7,728 battles

General rule for playing Yammy is to avoid going middle. You can push with it, but do it in one of the flanks and make sure you push in time, or you will be lagging behind everyone. I never play Yamati ftom 20km. It is slow to react for torpedoes, but it also has excellent torpedo belt. Just go full fire resistance and make sure you are not targeted by too many HE spammers at the same time. NEVER give broadside to anyone.(this is why choose one of the flanks if possible)

• Cool 1

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,308 posts
9,063 battles

The are a couple of schools of thought, and I'm sure the principle applies to most battleships.

One particular tactic is to stay at maximum range and as near to the map border as possible. This is regarded in many circles as the most effective means of staying alive, but unfortunately for those rapidly uptiering-without-experience-or-common-sense-newbies and die-hard armchair admirals, this tactic usually results in a fairly ok damage score, but very low win rate. This is because while you're alive for long, the rest of your team are not because they've been deprived of your ability to tank damage and draw fire. I'm sure you get the point, too far is bad for your team.

This is a team game, go where you are needed. Assess how the game is playing out, learn to develop the ability to foresee how things may turn out, where the enemy seem to be gathering / pushing. You don't need to be in a cap zone, but you have other ways to help your team apart from using your hard hitting guns. At tier 10 you should be blind without your mini-map - this tells you everything you need to know on enemy movement game-wide, so be dynamic and learn to change tactic as and when required.

When the enemy see the opponents BB's so far away from anywhere their cruisers and dd's get brave and contest cap areas. As a bb I always try to support cap areas, support cruisers and dd's, and if I have to tank damage I do (for a little while). There is nothing more discouraging to a cruiser who is trying to back up his dd in a cap area that a bb lurking close by.

• Cool 2

Players
702 posts
8,121 battles

First of all I'm not an expert in BB play and certainly not a Yamato expert (which I also just unlocked a few days ago. C ya never izumo!). 

But as far as I can tell from experiencing competent Yamato players they always seek for opportunities to punish broadside. By doing so they position themselves in such a way that they create crossfires on enemy ships. 

Sometimes its a good idea to push with the team and to support them at the caps by tanking and your presence as a heavy hitter. But in other instances it could be helpful if you'd sit in a spot where you create a nasty angle on, for example, that one Rader cruiser. And IMHO multiple BBs in one spot isn't really helpful. 

Getting the right feel for positioning takes experience and a lot of games. In my most conformable ships I know exactly where to be and what to do to be effective but in the Yamato I'm also struggling. But once you've played every map a few times with a certain ship you start to recognize patterns and good spots. So my number 1 advice would be, get out there and try different approaches to a battle. See what works and what doesn't. :) 

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,831 posts
4,983 battles
3 hours ago, kfa said:

Try to avoid sub 10km brawls with other ships.

But muh secondaries!

No, but really, the most important part is to be in a position where you aren't in any immediate danger to get flanked and have an exit plan for when it is about to happen. If you don't eat cits/torps, even 10 km away from a target is just fine, unless it's a Moskva or Stalingrad. And the only reason those two are not fine is because those suckers might actually go for the ram and you can't kill them. But some Hindenburg, Zao, Des Moines, you can delete from any angle. Obviously, 10-15 km is a bit more forgiving in getting away though. 20+ km is more like that opportunity shot at the other flank, because they sure wouldn't expect that.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,183 posts
11,858 battles

As with most BB`s best results should come in when you learn to master visibility and armor use. Riding the visibility line - especially early in battle - works best (at least for me) as you might be able to disengage for cooldowns, greatly adding to your life span. Obviously this requires Concealment Expert captains skill for full effect (~13.5km for Yamato).

And as other already stated, never show broadside if possible. And always remember that incorrect angling can hurt as badly in Yamato as she has very juicy frontal port and starport weakspots...

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,173 posts
6,747 battles
8 hours ago, kfa said:

stay at around 20km

oh boi :fish_palm:

I do hope that was meant as a sarcastic answer not as actual advice

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,002 posts
8,016 battles
2 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And i hope you will be facehugging a Kurfürst (and not in my team).

Try reading sentences not only 4 words from my post and play a bit more Yamato before having this strong opinion.

• Bad 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,056 posts
17,244 battles
13 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Secret magic places, A1 and J10. 

• Funny 3

Players
81 posts
7,055 battles

Yamato is THE ship that I have never really mastered. Possibly it's just difficult, or alternatively I just don't have the correct mindset for it. In any case, after 100+ battles I still don't have the comfortable feeling of really knowing what I'm doing. Stats support this too: I'm very average in the Yamato, while in many other high-tier ships I manage very good damage and unicum WR.

Some of the points in this thread are probably spot-on. Personally, I think I generally play too close, especially considering how brutally accurate the main battery is with the unique upgrade. When I'm too close in such a slow ship with a juicy citadel, well... The secondaries aren't anything special either, and definitely not worth investing in. Whenever you end up in secondary distance with the Yamato, you just wish you had brought the Kurfürst or République instead.

The point about preferring flanks to the center makes complete sense as well. 

[ALONE]
Players
1,337 posts
10,755 battles

I find Yamato extremely depending on "team" support. I recently played several (closer to 20?) games to grind towards the upgrade - I had 120-170k dmg (in sometimes very short time...) and won ... maybe 10%. PR in the range 1500-2000, still stomp. 

Very very, very frustrating - considering I am grinding the "base XP" part so I lose 1/3 of my progress when potatoes throw the game. 

When your DD suddenly die and their DD don't, you're toast. When enemy HE spamming cruisers (or gunboat DD...) are not spotted and you are - you're toast. When a flank collapses and you can't angle anymore - you're toast. You have to move (exposing broadside), and no torpedo protection will help vs salvo from T9-10 DD or Asashio. You are almost as slow as the Kurfurst, but he has hydro and protected citadel...

Recently, because DD whined about being sniped from 15-20km, WG nerfed BB AP regardless of range. Secondaries were made useless earlier, so when DD decides to yolo-rush you, you're toast.

When the enemy CV has air control and/or your one doesn't give a f*k about you - you're toast.  

No concealment, fragile broadside at many many angles + slow turning, huge size making hitting HE trivial. 

Guns as I currently have them (without the super-upgrade) are overexaggerated. I get good hit ratio but about only 50% of hits do dmg. When having only 9 (in most situations 6...) guns and such a slow reload this is really bad. I understand ricochets, we can treat them as reward for good angling - but all those overpens are infuriating. You have a broadside potato which deserves to be punished ... and he gets away with 4k dmg or so. While you get 20-30k HE dmg from him and 3 fires causing another 30-40. 

All this makes me understand people who tell about "staying at 20km".  You live longer - you deal damage longer, and Yama is relatively efficient from range. And current "teams" are mostly potato sacks. 

But yes. When you have supporting DD which has some brain, air cover, and you can count on your flanks to be held - you can manage to be that fortress and deal nice medium-range havoc while living long.

Players
537 posts
5,444 battles
On 12/13/2018 at 7:58 AM, Giorgio_marksman said:

Any help on positioning?

I think broadside on to me, at a relatively short range, is the best positioning.

[POP]
Players
313 posts
7,650 battles

Yamato, as a cruiser you fear to show it any angle.

But you rub your palms together, start to sweat in a good way and your face goes to a wide grin when it shows you broadside under 10km. :cap_haloween: