Sign in to follow this  
Adm_Ballsey

How to Play HMS Cossack. Better than the Lightning?

13 comments in this topic

Players
45 posts
11,198 battles

Hey everyone I recently completed the royal navy missions getting enough guineas to open up the HMS Cossack, the tier 8 premium british destroyer and it's a ton of fun. It has some nice economic bonuses making it a nice credit earner and ideal for retraining your british dd captains. I put together a video on how I play the Hms Cossack for the best results and it's very similar to the hms lightning with some subtle differences.

What do you think? Do you think the Cossack is superior or inferior to the Lightning?

• Cool 1

Players
262 posts

Well the Cossack has 10k torps, compared to the Lightning only having 8k torps. Both have the same concealment when fully kitted out of 5.5. So I think in terms of stealth play shooting torps, the Cossack is a better ship, even if only having 4 torps and not 8 like the Lightning can use. The reload of the torps on the Cossack is pretty decent also to make up for lack of not having 8 torps, more so if you install the skill to reduce torp reload down even further. I think it comes down then to around 40 seconds torp reload.

I dunno...I liked the Lightning before getting the Cossack, but found 8k range on torps is very borderline short, it's hard to use them in higher tier games like T9 and T10, especially when both ships only have very short smoke duration if things go wrong and your spotted or picked up on radar with 10k + range, which is more likely to happen with 8k torp range and having to get closer in (and most likely inside radar range) to use them. Torps having a 10k range does help makes thing easier with shooting them.

Apart from the torp difference. I think both ships are pretty much the same on everything else. The Lightning does have better AA guns than the Cossack.. but, it's not like they are great and doesn't really matter on a DD anyway. Most will turn off AA guns so they don't auto fire at planes and get you spotted by accident.

Actually, I dislike one thing about all RN DD ships, the very short smoke duration time. 40 seconds is nothing and it takes 20 seconds after shooting to go invisible again. So you only really have 20 seconds of time to shoot guns in smoke before needing the other 20 seconds to leave it as undetected (which is pretty dire). I think they should either buff the smoke duration time of RN DD's, or offer a coal upgrade to extend the duration time - it's way too short a time I think on RN DD's to be of any real use. When I can play other DD's with 90 seconds smoke duration time like Asashio B. Which I prefer to play instead of the Cossack because of that far better smoke duration time. More of a life saver, and you can shoot guns in smoke for a full 70 seconds with 20 seconds to spare.

[RUFL]
Players
182 posts
3,907 battles

The short smoke is actually an advantage if you adapt your playstyle to it. In exchange for being short you have many charges and they reload very fast. That means you can be a bit more aggressive because you will likely always have a smoke ready to escape from uncomfortable situations. It also forces you to not sit and farm damage but to pay attention to your surroundings and makes it easier to relocate in order to e.g. evade radar ships.

10 hours ago, MRGTB said:

40 seconds is nothing and it takes 20 seconds after shooting to go invisible again. So you only really have 20 seconds of time to shoot guns in smoke before needing the other 20 seconds to leave it as undetected (which is pretty dire).

This is not correct. When you fire in smoke and remain undetected, you will also be undetected after the smoke fades. The 20 seconds only count down if you were spotted while shooting.

Players
262 posts
10 hours ago, Jagod said:

This is not correct. When you fire in smoke and remain undetected, you will also be undetected after the smoke fades. The 20 seconds only count down if you were spotted while shooting.

I thought if you shoot in smoke with lets say only 15 seconds left, It would mean you'd be detected when the smoke vanished. But fair enough, I wasn't 100% sure about that.

Players
45 posts
11,198 battles

@MRGTB Even if you fire your guns 1 second before leaving actual smoke cover you will remain undetected providing no one is within your standard detection radius.

Players
187 posts

I find that, for me at least, the Lightning is a much easier DD to play. I seem to have much better games and results in the Lightning, I love the gun angles and 360 turrets, than I do in the Cossack.

However, in both of these DDs, the most common mistake I make is getting caught out of place and trying to be too sneaky.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,124 posts
11,662 battles

Personally I prefer the Lightning to the Cossack as the former is far more of a balanced all round DD.

Lightning is a little slow and has no speed boost however which is it's only real downside.

• Cool 1

Players
45 posts
11,198 battles

@Negativvv Both are fantastic the more I play them the harder I find to make a decision between them. Both of them are incredibly empowering destroyers and by empowering I mean I really find myself capable of turning the tide of battles with them.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,611 posts
5,167 battles

Have to say that I really like what WG have done with the RN DD's to give them a different flavour (started at the T5 though, so not sure about 2-4). Cossack is a very strong ship but I'm having issues with Lightning at present... :(

(But I tend to be too gung ho with gunboat/hybrid DD's....)

• Cool 1

Players
187 posts

The Lightning really gels for at the moment.

I'm usually coming in the top 4 of my team.

I use it as a spotter and will only initially contest the caps if I have back up.

I have racked up some great spotting xp in it.

• Cool 1

Players
45 posts
11,198 battles
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, philjd said:

Have to say that I really like what WG have done with the RN DD's to give them a different flavour (started at the T5 though, so not sure about 2-4). Cossack is a very strong ship but I'm having issues with Lightning at present... :(

(But I tend to be too gung ho with gunboat/hybrid DD's....)

Hi Philjd, if you are loving the Cossack it should be a very smooth transition to the lightning, the captain skills are virtually the same its just a little less gunpower more torps and less speed but no less lethal than the Cossack.
I've personally come to the conclusion that atm the Lightning pound for pound is the best destroyer currently in the game. I really consider it that strong

Players
45 posts
11,198 battles
4 hours ago, gravelbelly said:

The Lightning really gels for at the moment.

I'm usually coming in the top 4 of my team.

I use it as a spotter and will only initially contest the caps if I have back up.

I have racked up some great spotting xp in it.

Hi Gravelbelly,

It excels in that role with its fantastic concealment, once you gain confidence in her you will find it excels at the gunboat, torpboat hybrid role aswell

Players
187 posts
On 1/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, Adm_Ballsey said:

Hi Philjd, if you are loving the Cossack it should be a very smooth transition to the lightning, the captain skills are virtually the same its just a little less gunpower more torps and less speed but no less lethal than the Cossack.
I've personally come to the conclusion that atm the Lightning pound for pound is the best destroyer currently in the game. I really consider it that strong

I agree, the Lightning is a brilliant DD

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this