Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
callumwaw

Dynamic sights problem in the Musashi?

17 comments in this topic

Players
77 posts
5,728 battles

Hi guys.

I'm having problems aiming with the dynamic sight in the Musashi. It seems to me that the shell flight time to target indicator (in seconds, the one to the left of the aimpoint) is totally off. It seems the actual shell flight time is shorter than what the indicator says.

For example, if the enemy ship is sailing broadside to me at about 30 knots and the indicator says flight time is 14 seconds, then if I give a 14-dot lead on the sight, the shells will actually get there faster and hit the water ahead of the enemy ship, at about the 10th or 11th dot.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know the Musashi/Yamato have a pretty fast muzzle velocity but I understood the shell flight time indicator takes into account the shell velocity of the actual ship you're using at the moment.  This is something I've only noticed on my Musashi.

BTW I use the dynamic sight with all ships and I have no problems aiming accurately. Only the Musashi seems to be the problem. 

What am I doing wrong? 

[BGBRD]
Players
231 posts
9,005 battles

Maybe the target in question decelerated/changed course after you pull the trigger. Lately more players use that tactic to trow the aim. Without screenshot/video(replay) I can't think of anything else, since your aim work with the other ships.

[JRM]
Players
64 posts
8,041 battles

Im playing game for more then 3 years, with musashi i have around 120k average and i never used any mode, or anything about aim, not use dynamic, dont look shell travel time, use vanilla aim with just circle as aim like in any fps, just look how far is enemy, not in km. I just aim automatic, playing too more really dont need to think where to aim because i know, practice is everything.

• Cool 3

Players
123 posts
5,871 battles
7 hours ago, callumwaw said:

What am I doing wrong? 

You do not mention the distance. Are you aware that while dynamic crosshair adapts to the zoom level it is set for 15km and closer you have to lead more and farther to lead less?

For instance, aiming at a target doing 30kn @20km, you have to remove 1/3 of the lead so for a flight time of 12s that would be 8 marks on the crosshair. (I have a doubt if it is 1/3 or 1/4 would need a paper and a pen to check)

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
77 posts
5,728 battles

@LDPDC thank you so much, I had no idea - I thought that since the sight scales depending on the zoom, it also adapts to the distance accordingly.  So the time-to-target is always given correctly but the scale is not. 

The reason I did not notice this earlier is probably that I rarely fire at very long distances. As far as BBs are concerned, I have mostly played the Bismarck and I like to play it at medium distances - about 15 km, now that I think of it!  So it is only in the Musashi that I have started to use the spotter plane extensively and, yes, I do fire at longer distances. In the Bismarck, I must have adjusted this automatically. 

Once again, thanks for pointing this out, mate. I didn't find this information anywhere else. 

[WTFNO]
Players
191 posts
4,691 battles
13 hours ago, LDPDC said:

You do not mention the distance. Are you aware that while dynamic crosshair adapts to the zoom level it is set for 15km and closer you have to lead more and farther to lead less?

For instance, aiming at a target doing 30kn @20km, you have to remove 1/3 of the lead so for a flight time of 12s that would be 8 marks on the crosshair. (I have a doubt if it is 1/3 or 1/4 would need a paper and a pen to check)

What. The. ... Oo

Thanks a lot, I completely missed that too.

Sold colorado yesterday because of that, I even checked the speed of the shells to understand why I was often giving too much lead :cap_wander:

Well, better late than never I guess :D

• Cool 1

Players
77 posts
5,728 battles

@AmiralPotato  same here! :) 

(by the way, this is totally counter-intuitive.  Normally you give MORE lead when aiming at a longer distance, but in the world of Wargaming it is the other way round.  Well, we shouldn't be surprised, after all this is a world where radar and sonar work through islands :-))) )

Beta Tester
430 posts
1,658 battles
17 hours ago, LDPDC said:

Is there a guide for this anywhere?

Players
123 posts
5,871 battles
9 hours ago, callumwaw said:

(by the way, this is totally counter-intuitive.  Normally you give MORE lead when aiming at a longer distance, but in the world of Wargaming it is the other way round.  Well, we shouldn't be surprised, after all this is a world where radar and sonar work through islands :-))) )

If you look at the full picture, it boils down to the ratio between the augmentation of shell flight time and the correction for the reticule: for instance if the flight time is multiplied by 2 between 15km and 20km you would still need to give more lead, just not twice as much :D

7 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

Is there a guide for this anywhere?

Not that I know ;)

Here is how I did compute it (hope I made no mistake): Ticks(distance) = 15/(distance)*flight time, with distance in km

So:

@5km: Ticks(5) = 3*flight time

@10km: Ticks(10) = 1.5*flight time

@15km: Ticks(10) = flight time

@20km: Ticks(10) = 0.75*flight time (so -25% and not -1/3 as I incorrectly mentionned)

can provide full explanation if someone wants to check for errors

Beta Tester
430 posts
1,658 battles
1 hour ago, LDPDC said:

INot that I know ;)

Here is how I did compute it (hope I made no mistake): Ticks(distance) = 15/(distance)*flight time, with distance in km

So:

@5km: Ticks(5) = 3*flight time

@10km: Ticks(10) = 1.5*flight time

@15km: Ticks(10) = flight time

@20km: Ticks(10) = 0.75*flight time (so -25% and not -1/3 as I incorrectly mentionned)

can provide full explanation if someone wants to check for errors

It's more that i legitimately don't know what you are talking about, but it sounds like it would make me a better player :)

Are the ticks the marks on the horizontal bar through the aiming reticle, approx 4 per side on screen?

Players
301 posts
724 battles
On 12/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, LDPDC said:

Holy cow, now I know why I keep overleading those long range shots even on reletively fast crusiers. Thanks :D

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,443 battles

I find that shell flight time on dynamic crosshair is relatively useless. It does provide a more consistent tick scale regardless of zoom level which I find helps on long lead orbital shells. As @thiextarsays, use the force Luke!

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
190 posts
2,705 battles
On 12/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, LDPDC said:

Without trying to be a tool, is there any actual evidence for this? e.g. documentation, wiki, WG video etc? In other words some corroboration? I ask because I use dynamic

Players
123 posts
5,871 battles
21 hours ago, Lord0 said:

Without trying to be a tool, is there any actual evidence for this? e.g. documentation, wiki, WG video etc? In other words some corroboration? I ask because I use dynamic

To my knowlege there is no official documentation on the matter. You can split the question in three distinct points:

- Is the crosshair calibrated for a given distance and a given target speed? This is very easy to demonstrate:

> If it was not calibrated for a given distance then when travelling up and down on your screen (and changing the range to target), the ticks would change size to adapt to the fact that 1s of target movement is seen much smaller from far away than from close up: it is clearly not the case

> If it was not calibrated for a given speed then the ticks size would change upon locking a target: clearly not the case either

- Is it correct that the crosshair is calibrated for 15km & 30kn target? No solid documentation on that, but:

> I never came up with anything incoherent with this data & the forum seems to always agree on this mater. Best is too try by yourself.

> Notser did a video on this too and I think he mentions these figures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBEIQVUOBk

- Is it correct that if the crosshair is calibrated for a given target range and speed you need to adapt relatively to this parameters: seems obvious to me but I never read anyone else saying it explicitely for the range

> Adding of substracting ticks according to target speed si well shared (Generaly expressed as something like "For IJN cruisers give +1/2 ticks")

> Adding ticks when closer and removing some when farther away is not widely shared but in my experience can easily be reproduced by either shooting at targets far away or playing low tier cruisers and paying attention: engagement generaly happen around 10km and if you do not take into account the correction you tend to miss with shells falling behind the target: just try against some bots or a friend in the training mode

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this