Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DanSilverwing

New life for Tier 2 to Tier 4 Premium ships

18 comments in this topic

Players
192 posts
5,515 battles

The forthcoming Snowflake event seems to have made people sit up and pay attention.

We're used to events and combat missions that require using Tier 5 ships and above, this is the first one I've seen where sub-Tier 5 Premium ships will* have a role as well. And that seems to me to be a good thing because otherwise those ships don't get used much: the low XP, low credits, and not counting for events make them hard to justify when you're short on time.

A lot of people will be getting their own HMS Dreadnought shortly after 0.7.12 release. I hate to think they'll just be port queens for ever and ever...

So maybe in the future we could also use Premium ships at tiers 2, 3 and 4 for event/daily combat mission purposes to let the old girls stretch their legs on occasion?

(For new players, participation in daily missions and challenges isn't unlocked until account level 12, and protected matchmaking no longer applies then, so this wouldn't help new players with their free Diana access this part of the game...a different topic worthy of discussion considering that operations are unlocked earlier at account level 8.)

What do people think?

*almost certainly

• Cool 10

[SHAD]
Players
265 posts

I like the idea.

I have received lots of tier 6 ships in the Santa crates, I forgot how much I enjoy that tier.

Unfortunately most campaigns need tier 8 or above.

I suppose one worry would be lots of players taking tier 19 point captains to low tiers and clubbing everything!

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,840 battles

I think it's an excellent idea, although I should mention I'm biased - I have a somewhat undignified number of lower tier premiums, so this suits me well.

My feeling is that occasional low tier events are a good thing, as it means we get to dust off these premiums that don't get much love most of the time with a clear(ish) conscience.

To avoid excessive seal-clubbing, I gloomily acknowledge that 'occasional' should mean just that though...

As an aside: it's a pity MM can't set up a twelve-a-side mass Mikasa brawl - although no doubt an exercise in futility, it would be hilarious (well, once or twice anyway)...

• Cool 3

Players
886 posts
7,318 battles

I'm a little concerned about extending grinding of daily missions in Randoms below T5, due to the attractiveness of going to seal club in the protected MM environment.

I think a WW1 themed operation for something like T3 or T4 would be fantastic.

• Cool 7

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,840 battles
1 minute ago, jss78 said:

I'm a little concerned about extending grinding of daily missions in Randoms below T5, due to the attractiveness of going to seal club in the protected MM environment.

I can't imagine WG would do that, for exactly the reason you highlight.

Snowflakes shouldn't cause too much difficulty, as it's one win per ship and you're done e.g. whilst messing about in Vampire (say) is fun and everything, it isn't hugely rewarding beyond the coal for the first win...

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,679 posts
5,569 battles

If people are just after an easy win then coop is the place to churn through those low tier games

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,073 posts
5,840 battles
20 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

If people are just after an easy win then coop is the place to churn through those low tier games

That's my plan for anything I'm either not very good in (okay, okay: bloody awful in, more so even than usually so), or don't enjoy playing that much...

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,558 battles
33 minutes ago, jss78 said:

I think a WW1 themed operation for something like T3 or T4 would be fantastic.

I can not give enough upvotes for this as this would be a great opportunity to use ships and also allow Daily missions in scenarios. It should be  easy to code as valid regardless of tier.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,679 posts
5,569 battles
42 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

That's my plan for anything I'm either not very good in (okay, okay: bloody awful in, more so even than usually so), or don't enjoy playing that much...

Im on a self imposed semi break. The cossack grind wore me down with 3 months of having to play on certain days. Enough that I really dont fancy doing more grinding. The snowflakes I can do in coop as a light easy to play mode.

• Cool 1

Players
192 posts
5,515 battles
2 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

Exactly. So the Snowflake event will see an uptick in the usage of T2-T4 Premium ships that people own or newly purchase, and I'd anticipate people using Co-op to simply cycle through the ships for easy wins and easy coal.

If there is going to be an uptick in seal-clubbing in Randoms, because the snowflakes are an incentive, then it will be measurable based on the this event and can inform if there is a risk in rewarding use of T2-T4 Premium ships in the future.

It can only improve sales if interested buyers of Premium T2-T4s know that there is going to be more in-game utility. Snowflakes can't just be a one-off.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles

Honestly, T5 ranked should have shown what it means to have low tier events. Getting absolutely murdered by people who moved on long ago and now all come back in masses to screw over the normal T5 folks. If you don't feel incentivised to play loads of low tier ships, then frankly, I think that's the system working as it should. This way, most people play maybe 1 low tier match a month and that's a pretty manageable level of sealclubbing.

Also, low tier premiums usually cost a pittance, so even if you don't play hundreds of games, you easily get your money's worth out of them. I think I got Ishizuchi for 4-6 Euro or so and I play it rarely. I don't think it'd be a good idea if there was an actual incentive beyond wanting to play ultra casual to take my high tier IJN BB captain and get serious.

Beta Tester
3,907 posts
13,842 battles
33 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I don't think it'd be a good idea if there was an actual incentive beyond wanting to play ultra casual to take my high tier IJN BB captain and get serious.

Can't say I'd need any special incentive to put Yamamoto in my Itchy Suzie and go sealclubbing educating some new players about the value of being able to change from HE to AP and back.. ^^

• Funny 3

Players
12 posts
981 battles

I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's a shame all the combat missions and directives are for Tier V and above. Giving the lower tiers some love would be much appreciated.

Players
1,583 posts
6,242 battles
On 12/12/2018 at 8:38 PM, Vampiric_Penguin said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's a shame all the combat missions and directives are for Tier V and above. Giving the lower tiers some love would be much appreciated.

"Lower tiers don't reward as much money as mid and high tier so f*ck that sh*t!"

- Ivan, Head of "Quality" Control at Wargaming after a bottle of vodka (8.30 AM)

• Funny 1

Players
12 posts
981 battles
On 12/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, AnEvilJoke said:

"Lower tiers don't reward as much money as mid and high tier so f*ck that sh*t!"

- Ivan, Head of "Quality" Control at Wargaming after a bottle of vodka (8.30 AM)

Well.... The gameplay is still fun and rewarding, so there's that.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,849 posts
6,152 battles

Tiers 2-4 (T1 competitive excluded :Smile_bajan2:) are fun because there is more "action" there, so in my book anything that gives incentive to play/populate lower tiers more is a good thing. 

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,907 posts
13,842 battles
5 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Tiers 2-4 (T1 competitive excluded :Smile_bajan2:) are fun because there is more "action" there, so in my book anything that gives incentive to play/populate lower tiers more is a good thing. 

:Smile_honoring:

Had some fun today after the tedious "get xxx base exp from wins" (which I do in CoOp) by taking out my Tachibana, Tachibana L, Smith, Mikasa, Katori and Yubari for a ride...

Most of those battles were quite close right to the end... not one team facerolling the other one in five minutes like it happens in the higher tiers nowadays all of the time...

And considering the amount of "clanned" players in those battles, this is probably as far away from sealclubbing as it can get ^^

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this