You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CptMinia

Why would anyone ever play high tier CVs?

47 comments in this topic

[RBMF]
Players
264 posts
6,400 battles

Hey!

So recently I've begun grinding the US and Jap CV lines, I started them all those years ago and never went far but after having finished every other line in the game I thought it was about time to see what all this CV business is about. And my goodness I tend to be a very stubborn and hard-headed person but these CVs I think have almost killed me. In the last 4 days I've ground out the Independance, Ranger, Hiryu and Shokaku and am now onto the Lexington and Taiho. Yet to play either but I'm not feeling it for a simple reason. CV play is incredibly boring, it's not fun and it is frustrating. Games tend to be one-sided far more frequently than in other ship types, on top of that a lot of CV gameplay appears to be mostly made out of spotting, and while you are spotting you simply wait for some sort of opening that your planes can take advantage out of so that your team and chances of winning come out better. Which frequently, is either within the first minute of the game or about 5 minutes later. And to be fair that doesn't bug me too much, I still get a bit of enjoyment out of it and I'll be pretty happy knowing I've wasted 3 and a half years of time in this game getting every tier 10 ship there is.

However, in most games the moment something goes wrong and team begins to lose people seem to jump very quickly on the "Putting the blame on the CV" bandwagon. I try not to be rude and I am certainly not the best CV player out there but I certainly am not a potato. I am familiar with spotting, strafing, forcing damage control, keeping aerial supremacy and waiting for good openings were it will benefit our team. But sometimes I am unable to do that, sorry Mrs Conqueror I was busy saving Mr Kurfurst on the other side of the map. I sometimes can't be in two places at once! I cannot see everything coming and I certainly cannot save everyone!

My point is I know games get frustrating and CVs right now are for obvious reasons apart from the ones I've so far listed, unpopular. And for good reason, I am glad a CV rework is clearly on its way and about time if this is how CVs have been all along! But to finish on a constructive point.

If you're a forum reader and someone who pays attention to the CV and team chat in battles, don't wait until the CV can't help you to call him a noob! Being a CV is hard! Instead, try and ask him for support earlier on if you can see something the CV can't! Use that team chat! Help your CV become better and help the team.

BRING ON THE CARRIER REWORK! I LOOK FORWARD TO WHATEVER CHANGES MAY COME!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles
12 minutes ago, CptMinia said:

And for good reason, I am glad a CV rework is clearly on its way and about time if this is how CVs have been all along!

No worries, I've been insulted in rework testing already because I wasn't able to help defend someone against an air strike since, you know, reworked CVs literally can't defend their teammates against air strikes. Which I told him.

He then proceeded to call me a noob and told me to uninstall.

Nothing in this regard will change with the rework. It's in the fundamental nature of incompetent :etc_swear:s to blame anything other than themselves for their failures. And it'll remain that way for all eternity.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 4

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles
10 hours ago, CptMinia said:

CV play is incredibly boring, it's not fun and it frustrating. 

Of course. CV minigame is a very shittty RTS minigame at the level of the1980-1990 games, completely unappealing to most players. Most of the '90s years RTS games are overwhelmingly better. *edit*

The ones that play them only do it because it is an unbalanced class that allows them to farm better results (winrate, damage, XP) than other classes. Doing it in a full AA specced divison makes it even worse. 

The devs that designed the carrier class should have been fired a long time ago. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 4

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles
12 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Of course. CV minigame is a very shittty RTS minigame at the level of the1980-1990 games, completely unappealing to most players.

6 hours ago, CptMinia said:

CV play is incredibly boring, it's not fun and it is frustrating. Games tend to be one-sided far more frequently than in other ship types, on top of that a lot of CV gameplay appears to be mostly made out of spotting, and while you are spotting you simply wait for some sort of opening that your planes can take advantage out of so that your team and chances of winning come out better. Which frequently, is either within the first minute of the game or about 5 minutes later. And to be fair that doesn't bug me too much, I still get a bit of enjoyment out of it and I'll be pretty happy knowing I've wasted 3 and a half years of time in this game getting every tier 10 ship there is.

However, in most games the moment something goes wrong and team begins to lose people seem to jump very quickly on the "Putting the blame on the CV" bandwagon.

Too long, didn't read, huh?

And you could apply your logic to any "minority" class in any MMO. E.g. "Being a Healer is :etc_swear: because it's completely unappealing to most players." etc.

I guess that's why these games never find financial success.

OH WAIT.

14 minutes ago, 22cm said:

The ones that play them only do it because it is an unbalanced class that allows them to farm better results (winrate, damage, XP) than other classes.

Because clearly your idea of fun must be everyone's idea of fun.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,686 posts
9,234 battles
27 minutes ago, 22cm said:

The ones that play them only do it because it is an unbalanced class that allows them to farm better results (winrate, damage, XP) than other classes.

Yes, you caught us.
Everyone who plays one of the 4 classes of ships in the game just want to farm better results.

Ignore the fact that every serious CV player has argued against AP bombs in their current form, and it's potatoes who never played CVs who "community balanced" the GZ.

• Cool 2

Players
104 posts
8,364 battles

I am playing Midway when game forces me to. Taking under consideration there are quests that can be only fulfilled in Tier X CV in random Battles, I do not have options. And I will be sitting in my Midway for next 3 weeks to get all the missions done. Send a thank you note to WG.

[5D]
Players
477 posts
20,637 battles
19 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I am playing Midway when game forces me to. Taking under consideration there are quests that can be only fulfilled in Tier X CV in random Battles, I do not have options. And I will be sitting in my Midway for next 3 weeks to get all the missions done. Send a thank you note to WG.

playing midway for 3 weeks is a bad thing?

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

Players
3,358 posts
5,833 battles
2 hours ago, 22cm said:

The ones that play them only do it because it is an unbalanced class that allows them to farm better results (winrate, damage, XP) than other classes. Doing it in a full AA specced divison makes it even worse. 

You know what? I´d WISH you were right! Because then we wouldnt have the current problems with the class. If all CV-Players would be super unicums and going at each other, far less people would complain about CVs.

Also, the unicum Kaga from yesterday with his Atlanta Buddy, that I completly shut down with my Benson, will disagree with you aswell, I guess? He clearly was happy with his result... 2100 damage (my divisionmate checked his stats after the round, he played only 1x Kaga on the day). So, if people like you would spent only half of the time, that they use to write complain-posts here in the forums, to learn how to play against CVs - there wouldnt be a problem either.

But who knows if WG wouldnt redesign CVs either way? consoles n such.

[ITA_C]
Players
231 posts
6,718 battles

I just want to say that i find the current rts cv game fun for me , i can not talk about the rework cuz i haven't tried it but i will miss badly the challenge the current gameplay provide .

About the behaviour of some players recently i see people at beginning of the game write in chat "cover me idiot cv" yet before i can make a squad take off so just ignore them due they are ignorant and you will not change that

• Cool 4

[TOAST]
Players
1,996 posts
25,653 battles
8 hours ago, CptMinia said:

sorry Mrs Conqueror I was busy saving Mr Kurfurst on the other side of the map. I sometimes can't be in two places at once! I cannot see everything coming and I certainly cannot save everyone!

BRING ON THE CARRIER REWORK! I LOOK FORWARD TO WHATEVER CHANGES MAY COME!

So you have found the miracle in CV rework to cover the whole map with your planes and protect every ship, or am I just confused?

Ignore what players say in chat if you are offended, let your place on the scorecard do the talking.

[C-L-D]
Players
64 posts
2,605 battles

However, in most games the moment something goes wrong and team begins to lose

I am familiar with spotting, strafing, forcing damage control, keeping aerial supremacy and waiting for good openings were it will benefit our team. But sometimes I am unable to do that, sorry Mrs Conqueror I was busy saving Mr Kurfurst on the other side of the map. I sometimes can't be in two places at once! I cannot see everything coming and I certainly cannot save everyone!

I had these something goes wrong moments, when my strategy was suboptimal. You should not stop the spotting game to help your team getting the objectives and to finish off low HP targets, apart from the obvious DD spotting. Personally I enjoy CV play because of the strategy elements. I am a mediocre strafer and use auto drops. My win rate went up when I started  doing aggressive spotting. Also usually I don't babysit lonely Kurfursts, if I have something more important to do. CV is not the class to improve your karma.

BTW, there were no RTS games in the 80's and the RTS games in the 90's were completly different from this CV play. Strategy games were always a niche, don't worry if it's not your stuff.

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
351 battles

Umm, is this a trick question?

I have both T9 CVs (amongst others) on NA Server.

I play them for the challenge of operating not only the Carrier but up to 7 plane squadrons (it's called 'multi-tasking' for those capable of doing so)

"community balanced" the GZ (as Exocet says above)

I saw that 'turd storm' of potato whining he refers to …..

I  bought the GZ early and have always played it as originally envisioned (& completely ignored said 'turd storm') 3 DBs & the 2 fighters, I find quite effective.

I wasn't insulted in the CV rework test as El2aZeR says he was but I did find the reworked CVs to be  one dimensional (to be really, really polite).

I also found the perfect counter for these reworked farces of a CV - it's called a DD (or any other ship class, for that matter). 

Both Cpt Minia & 22cm appear to be anti - CV whiners.

I don't whine about any class of ship per se - I try to play them all well. Debatable as to whether I do that (consistently or not, lol).

Quite remarkable that, until recently, WoWS has had CVs play the way they play for over 4 years now (including Alpha & Beta time)

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
104 posts
8,364 battles
4 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

playing midway for 3 weeks is a bad thing?

it is not about what and how long you play, but how. 25% WR CV will ruin everyones day. So it would be a bad thing if such player would play game after game and not improve a bit. One 25% WR BB/CA/DD will not have a same impact as a CV and that is the main issue.

But missions are missions, I have not designed them, but I wish to complete them. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ITA_C]
Players
231 posts
6,718 battles
30 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

it is not about what and how long you play, but how. 25% WR CV will ruin everyones day. So it would be a bad thing if such player would play game after game and not improve a bit. One 25% WR BB/CA/DD will not have a same impact as a CV and that is the main issue.

But missions are missions, I have not designed them, but I wish to complete them. 

A25% wr cv at tier 10 will have to pay a big bill in term of credits to be so bad  so or he play a lot other ships at lower tiers to pay it or he need to pay for premium , camo , or directly for credits .

So he's actually paying my free game i can not be mad at him sorry

• Funny 1

[WTFNO]
Players
203 posts
4,716 battles
36 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

You should be able to complete the missions by regrinding the objectives you already completed.

You won't get the rewards again but you'll get the stars.

It's technically possible to grind 10 times a 1-star objective and unlock the next stage ;-)

[RBMF]
Players
264 posts
6,400 battles
6 hours ago, antean said:

Both Cpt Minia & 22cm appear to be anti - CV whiners.

I am not anti-CV, the game should have CVs in it for sure. But CVs right now are nowhere near as enjoyable as any other class and on top of that they are the most expensive class to play. I have no doubt some people can learn to handle CVs very well and subsequently do very well in that class. But there is too much effort and crap to put up with on a regular basis. The only reason I am only now continuing the CV lines is because I already have every other tier 10 in the game. And I will probably play CVs when the rework finally hits.

• Bad 1

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
351 battles
1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

CVs right now are nowhere near as enjoyable as any other class and on top of that they are the most expensive class

CVs are way more challenging to play than any other class in actual fact. It is clear you cannot handle this challenge.

• Bad 3

[RBMF]
Players
264 posts
6,400 battles
22 minutes ago, antean said:

CVs are way more challenging to play than any other class in actual fact. It is clear you cannot handle this challenge.

I never said they weren't challenging. And I am handling the challenge, the point is it isn't fun unlike the other classes. Hopefully the CV rework will fix all that is wrong with the RTS style carrier gameplay. 

• Bad 1

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
351 battles
1 minute ago, CptMinia said:

I am handling the challenge, the point is it isn't fun

Then you are a glutton for punishment or are a CV hater. As you want to see CVs ruined (by your own admission) you are a CV hater.

• Bad 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles
Just now, CptMinia said:

Hopefully the CV rework will fix all that is wrong with the RTS style carrier gameplay. 

Uh.

You do know the rework looks like this, right?

Spoiler

Aka no counterplay options for your target and infinite damage potential. The wet dream of any current CV captain.

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
351 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Uh.

Reveal hidden contents

Aka no counterplay options for your target and infinite damage potential. The wet dream of any current CV captain.

Discerning players know what a farce the CV rework really is, El2aZeR. We cannot convince the current CV haters otherwise (unfortunately).

I'm wondering when the console crowd will be combined with the PC crowd as this should be a happy hunting ground for DDs, at least, to start with (lol)

I'm planning on converting all my Current CV Cpts to DDs of the requisite tiers just to hunt the new FARCE reworked CVs as much as possible.

This will be 'fun', imho (lol). What will not be fun & actually very bad & sad will be the loss of an excellent current CV play style.

[RBMF]
Players
264 posts
6,400 battles
16 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Uh.

Hide contents

I am aware but this is not the final version. I do hope the CV rework will be done correctly and will be well balanced but will still be fun. I don't hate CVs, unlike Antean seems to think. The CV rework is still being worked on and there are a lot more changes coming in according to the WG FAQ before the rework even makes it on the live server. Might seem misplaced and we won't know until the rework does come out, but I'll put my hope in WG getting it right in the end. 

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles
Just now, CptMinia said:

I do hope the CV rework will be done correctly and will be well balanced but will still be fun.

The problem with the rework however is that it is inherently unbalanced. Making CVs focus on dealing damage along with DoT can only mean one of two things. Either CVs are far too powerful because they can set reliably set DoT while dealing damage, or they are completely useless as they possess no other role.

Current CV play is focused entirely on spotting as you have correctly deduced. This is to balance out their damage potential which can be completely shut down by the enemy team, giving them a role to play even when incapable of dealing damage. I more than understand why people may not like this playstyle, when you are being shut down CV play is the most boring thing ever. Still, I can still find enjoyment supporting my team and contribute to victory even without a high scoreboard placement, probably much like yourself considering your statements in the opening post.

There is no such thing in the rework however. The primary and only role of reworked CVs is to deal damage via DoT. This gives us the aforementioned all or nothing situation with no middle ground to be found. As such the rework can only ever end in failure one way or another.

Also the last time we got something that was "community balanced" it was the GZ.