Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Praevasc

Why do so many people prioritize firing at the Furutaka?

32 comments in this topic

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,147 battles

It occurred to me after playing other ships, that when I played the Furutaka, most of the time I was the priority target of almost everyone in the enemy fleet. Even if I was at their maximum range and there were other ships from my team much closer to them, even broadside to them, they almost always kept firing at me instead.

I'm not writing this as a complaint (at least I learned to play cautiously with cruisers), I'm just curious. Despite she being my first ever tier 5 cruiser, I don't feel I've been performing all that bad with her. Maybe I'll take her out for another spin in the near future.

I know the Furutaka has one of the most powerful cruiser guns in any battle she takes part, with an amazing fire chance, but still... Ignoring other cruisers at half the distance I am, just to shoot at me even if I'm bow on, and far enough away to make most of the shots miss? It happened all too often.

[DSW]
Players
3,784 posts
7,726 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • subjective impression
  • your position
  • no other cruiser giving a better target

pretty much. there are no particular reasons to focus a Furious Taco (like you would, say, a Nepnep for five million guaranteed citadels)...

Players
731 posts
9,206 battles

Furutaco have 3 problem, so been target first is classic.

- Bad range for Guns, you are pretty close to the red

- Armor just enough to been cita by all BBs and not so many overpen

- Big Ship and slow turn, easy target

You need to be more carrefull with the ship and avoid close combat with many reds on you.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,847 posts
2,021 battles

It is also my target of choice - unless something juicier/closer presents itself.

The Furry Taco is quite large, if you are broadside, hard to miss. Turns slower than most, too.

Also, quite often it happens to be closest so is the most immediate threat.

[WASP_]
Players
165 posts

It might also have something to do with Flamu doing a vid recently about the Furutaka with regard to the turret/guns buff IGN cruisers/DD's received recently. 

[_DIB_]
Players
90 posts
9,828 battles
40 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

The Furry Taco is quite large

Who can't resist a good large furry taco?

• Funny 1

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,147 battles

So many people missed that I explicitly stated that it often happened even if there were other cruisers of my team much closer to the enemy ...

Why would you keep shooting at the (not broadsided) Furutaka even if there are other enemy cruisers much closer? Because of the danger it presents due to its powerful guns? Or due to believing you can kill her faster?

[BFS]
Beta Tester
851 posts
5,114 battles
6 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

So many people missed that I explicitly stated that it often happened even if there were other cruisers of my team much closer to the enemy ...

Why would you keep shooting at the (not broadsided) Furutaka even if there are other enemy cruisers much closer? Because of the danger it presents due to its powerful guns? Or due to believing you can kill her faster?

Post a battle replay to illustrate what you say is happening.  Someone may be able to point out what could be causing the interest in you.

As others have stated a CA is an easy target, it could be that your health pool is low (and easier to take out the battle) or have you said something to the enemy team that has resulted in the interest to take you out?

[KAKE]
Players
786 posts
2,959 battles
15 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

Why would you keep shooting at the (not broadsided) Furutaka even if there are other enemy cruisers much closer?

There's a bazillion reasons why someone would choose one target over another, and without seeing a replay it's impossible to say.

Were the other cruisers firing? Maybe they held their fire and weren't spotted. Maybe they were doing a better job evading fire and the enemy grew tired of missing. Maybe they took just as much fire, but you didn't notice because you were busy with your own thing.

Players
15 posts
2,357 battles

I suspect its something to do with the combination of concealment and tunnel visioning. Especially down in the lower tiers, once they start firing at a ship, they won't switch targets until they have either killed them or can no longer shoot at them (concealment, island in the way, dead ect.). Anyway, the furry taco is a relatively tanky cruiser so if it were me, I wouldn't mind taking some flak if it means your team stays alive for longer. 

2 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

pretty much. there are no particular reasons to focus a Furious Taco (like you would, say, a Nepnep for five million guaranteed citadels)...

I'll have you know, a point blank (4 KM away) Misery once did 0 damage to me, in a NepNep. All bounced off its thicc 102mm belt which I then proceeded to dump 8 torpedos into her broadside :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
14,639 posts
10,869 battles
45 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

Unless you have a spy on the enemy team, you do not know if the ships are spotted or the ships shooting at you had a firing solution on them.

There is a reason we have islands in the game.

[AS13]
Players
1,847 posts
2,021 battles
3 hours ago, Inked9 said:

Who can't resist a good large furry taco?

I always give it a good load... :cap_like:

[AS13]
Players
1,847 posts
2,021 battles
2 hours ago, Praevasc said:

There are quite a few reasons (some not making sense, but they ARE reasons):

- if you have the lowest health left --> easy prey --> free killsteal --> they rather kill you than damage a full health broadside cruiser;

- there might be another one closer, but they have just reloaded and YOU were the one they did not have to turn the guns for;

- they were already looking at / waiting for your Furrytaco and have completely ignored the others, maybe not even seen them;

- they already gave you one shot and now they wanna finish your taco before someone else he gets the kill (then twom, three, four of them end up shooting at you).

These I have seen happen a lot. Even seen they ignored the Schorssszzzz that shoved some torpedoes up their behind, and they were dead 2 seconds later.

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,147 battles
5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

There are quite a few reasons (some not making sense, but they ARE reasons):

- if you have the lowest health left --> easy prey --> free killsteal --> they rather kill you than damage a full health broadside cruiser;

- there might be another one closer, but they have just reloaded and YOU were the one they did not have to turn the guns for;

- they were already looking at / waiting for your Furrytaco and have completely ignored the others, maybe not even seen them;

- they already gave you one shot and now they wanna finish your taco before someone else he gets the kill (then twom, three, four of them end up shooting at you).

These I have seen happen a lot. Even seen they ignored the Schorssszzzz that shoved some torpedoes up their behind, and they were dead 2 seconds later.

True, I can understand that. I was just wondering whether there is something special in the Furutaka. With other similar tiered cruisers it doesn't happen this often. Strange, as I play the Königsberg much more aggressively.

But it might be just random bias.

Beta Tester
3,901 posts
13,814 battles

At least for the average BaBBy there's one very vital reason to take out the Furry Taco first:

It has long ranged torps... and as we all know, torps are so OP for a BaBBy that he immediately loses his shiite and concentrates on the one possible threat in his sight - the Furry Taco!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[L4GG]
Players
1,534 posts
6,233 battles
2 hours ago, Praevasc said:

Because other ships have better concealment than your furutaka?

you keep shooting and the others slip back to concealment?

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,147 battles
9 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

It has long ranged torps... and as we all know, torps are so OP for a BaBBy that he immediately loses his shiite and concentrates on the one possible threat in his sight - the Furry Taco!

So true. As a truly brave BB captain must never change speed and direction (it would be cowardice to do so!), torps fired from 10 km are a death sentence!

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles
3 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

You should play a Konigsberg ;D

Emerald.

DD caliber HE can citadel you :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,181 posts
11,672 battles

First: people who manage accidentally to fire their second neuron know IJN cruisers are annoying HE spammers from distance. That alone will raise your popularity immensely with the reds. Second: one of the most important tricks in this game is knowing not to shoot. If the PT number is reaching critical levels (4 and up) it means you need to ease on the trigger and try to go dark. Don't necessarily shoot at everything that moves. Here come the minimap awareness in sight. Drill that into your spinal cord. It could very well be those closer ships aren't doing anything at all so you're the only one spotted. Hence trigger discipline is a vital skill. Especially in cruiser play the absolute minimum demanded attention should go to the minimap. Always know where you are, what's your position and what's theirs as far as you can tell. And by all means: keep moving and dodging in an unpredictable way when being out focused. and dodging means changing speeds as well.

Players
3,590 posts
7,312 battles

I think the reality is that nearly all T5+ cruisers are the focus of attention the moment they're spotted and Furry Taco is no exception.

[AS13]
Players
1,847 posts
2,021 battles
6 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Emerald.

DD caliber HE can citadel you :cap_rambo:

I like my Emerald... well, sort of . 

T5header.thumb.JPG.3e770c625057fb0c42e5f1af557217de.JPGT5CA.thumb.JPG.c959e9cd369ffadfab3891fa581c6676.JPG

326368600_Emeraldrecord.JPG.2fd4822a4b05dadd35a4c0becfc6eb5e.JPG

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,147 battles

Ohh come on, I know I'm very far from being a pro, but I'm not completely and utterly clueless either.

What I was saying is that compared to other cruisers around tier 5, I drew much more fire with the Furutaka. Compared to other cruisers. And while I know I have things to improve on my map awareness, I'm not that dense to not realize 90% of the time which of my teammates in front of me are probably spotted by the enemy.

[AS13]
Players
1,847 posts
2,021 battles
13 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

Ohh come on, I know I'm very far from being a pro, but I'm not completely and utterly clueless either.

What I was saying is that compared to other cruisers around tier 5, I drew much more fire with the Furutaka. Compared to other cruisers. And while I know I have things to improve on my map awareness, I'm not that dense to not realize 90% of the time which of my teammates in front of me are probably spotted by the enemy.

Well, it is true what they say here. I'd also feel inclined to shoot the cruiser with the torps and the great HE first.

That MIGHT be the thing. Or maybe it is just you, could be the others are better at hiding (NOT JUST behind an island). 

I have found in Monarch that they always want to shoot you SECOND. After they have caught the slow US BBs.

If they are finished (or the only US BBs are fast ones) they go after the RN BBs. 

What I do is shoot from ~11k and then retreat and stealth up. Then they do not spot me anymore, they have to re-aim and turn the guns.

And then I turn up gain as I shoot some more. I found that if I KEEP shooting they do not have to re-aim and I get 5x more shells fired at me.

EVEN IF my ship is the furthest away. 

Sign in to follow this