Sign in to follow this  
Kold_duck

Perth Appreciation Thread

27 comments in this topic

[BRIT6]
Beta Tester
13 posts
4,433 battles

So I got this little beauty from a free Santa's container and I'm starting to like her a lot.  Just a couple of my games in her.  I've only had one really bad game and that was a map with a cyclone in it and I was chasing a Cossack and completely ignored the Derpitz which saw me...her dispersion at the lower ranges especially up close seems a little wonky to me as the Cossack got away and I could have thrown my shoe at him I was that close...but all in all, shes been fun to play.  Anybody else see her this way??

12_9_18 Perth.png

12_9_18 Perth 2.png

• Cool 4

Players
148 posts
3,168 battles

I like the Perth very much too, not too many games in her so far and I find the lack of range a bit of a hold back for me (yes we do get a spotter plane) but the smoke I love, creeping forward at 1/4 speed puts off so many peoples aim when  shooting at the smoke (as they seem to these days lol), they miss a lot more than when I am in a DD trying to move backwards & forwards in my small smoke cloud.

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
69 posts
3,983 battles

I got the boat from 20 small santa crates. Haven´t played it in randoms yet. I think that putting on smoke generator mod 1 and maybe the captain skill for larger radius smoke screens could be very very interesting. Smoke generator mod 1 costs 17000 coal in arsenal and using that kind of coal in a tier6 ship might sound dumb but hey it could be fun!

Also you could slot spotting aircraft mod 1 too...

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles

The Perth - also known as the world's cutest little cruiser - is easily my favourite ship in her class.

She has such a lot going for her, it's really a puzzle why she isn't more appreciated.

1. She's got moving smoke, that allows her unparalleled defensive mobility. With the special smoke upgrade, the already long duration can be greatly extended.
  2. She's got her little Walrus floatplane, that can remain aloft for an unusually long time even to begin with and whose duration can be further improved by the special float plane upgrade. Apart from the usual extended range and bird's eye view, this allows the Perth to spot for herself even under cover of smoke.
  3. She's got hydro. If you extend its duration with the special hydro upgrade, you can remain almost untouchable by torpedoes even when smoked up. Keep moving forward at 1/4 speed while smoking and stay in a turn - you can switch from left to right at intervals to confuse your enemies even further - and it will become much harder to target your smoke cloud with a speculative torpedo launch.
  4. She's got good guns, and 2x4 single shot torpedoes. She's not very fast but she has otherwise good manoeuvrability, especially when turning (she has the Royal Navy™ physics-defying superpower that allows her to accelerate in a turn).
  5. She's got koalas. (Yes, really. Zoom in on her while in port, and look for yourself!)

As should be apparent from the above list, the Perth can make use of a whole set of those special upgrades. Now that these are available for coal in the arsenal, there's really no excuse not to get them from the shop asap, as they do make a big difference to the gameplay.

Welcome to the Perth Appreciators' Club, fellow Captains!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[BRIT6]
Beta Tester
13 posts
4,433 battles
11 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

I got the boat from 20 small santa crates. Haven´t played it in randoms yet. I think that putting on smoke generator mod 1 and maybe the captain skill for larger radius smoke screens could be very very interesting. Smoke generator mod 1 costs 17000 coal in arsenal and using that kind of coal in a tier6 ship might sound dumb but hey it could be fun!

Also you could slot spotting aircraft mod 1 too...

This thread is on the NA server which is what gave me the idea for it and the going consensus over there is that the smoking skill will only allow you to go in reverse and stay in smoke which she can’t do because she goes to fast.  I put the smoking mod 1 on her and now that you mention it I may try to find the spotter plane mod and the hydro mod...I have coal laying around that I don’t use so why not for this.  Loving this little ship lol

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
69 posts
3,983 battles

So I got the 10 point captain and went IFHE on the first 4 point skill instead of concealment. I guess IFHE will pay off against higher tier ships but I will get concealment next. How do you feel about getting demo expert as a three pointer.. as the fire chance is fairly low per shell a rigid +2% might be pretty worth it.

According to tier6 cruiser stats, Perth has the best win rate of them all so it can´t be that weak of a ship as some make it out to be in their reviews.

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
27 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

So I got the 10 point captain and went IFHE on the first 4 point skill instead of concealment. I guess IFHE will pay off against higher tier ships but I will get concealment next. How do you feel about getting demo expert as a three pointer.. as the fire chance is fairly low per shell a rigid +2% might be pretty worth it.

According to tier6 cruiser stats, Perth has the best win rate of them all so it can´t be that weak of a ship as some make it out to be in their reviews.

Demolition Expert is absolutely a solid choice for the first 3-point skill. It offsets some of the loss in fire chance percentage which follows from the IFHE skill, which is also a given choice in the current meta. I took IFHE as my first 4-point skill and CE for my second. As 3-point skills go, I suppose that an argument could also be made for Superintendent, but my advice would be to go for the special duration upgrades and bank on them being enough to see you through most battles without running out of consumables. Setting ships on fire from within the cozy confines of your little smoke cloud, is such fun!

You might also consider Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft, if you have a point to spare - given the long flight time of the little Walrus spotter plane, it's not uncommon to have it shot down occasionally.

And yes, there have been some mixed reviews of the Perth. I guess she's one of those ships that you either click with completely or not at all. Flamu, for one, was pretty lukewarm in his review and made it quite clear that he didn't much like her; if I recall it correctly I believe he didn't think the smoke duration was long enough. (I disagree, btw, but that's neither here nor there.) But those who like her - me among others - are very staunch in their support!

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
14 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Not to mention she has a pretty striking camouflage pattern!

This is very true. It's a shame that I usually feel compelled to deck her in one of those camos that give the best xp bonuses, since her own special camouflage pattern deserves better than to sit in a paint jar all day.

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
69 posts
3,983 battles

Watched Flamu´s two year old video. Mostly he complains about 1/4 speed crawling smoke and getting uptiered a lot.

From there sparked a question. What is the concrete speed that allow you to crawl in your own smoke unspotted? I guess it is somewhere a bit above 1/4 speed (8-9kts).. maybe 12kts? So you could switch between 1/4 and 1/2 speed to get that 12kts.. it is 50% more than 8kts anyway. However the problem is the fast acceleration of the british boats.. with 1/2 you could accelerate from 8kts to 12kts very quickly thus getting out of smoke. Seems tricky if doable however you need to concentrate on that a lot and in wows you have a lot of things to worry about anyways so keyboarding w-s-w-s isn´t something I can see myself doing a lot on top of everything else. :Smile_bajan2:

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
3 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

From there sparked a question. What is the concrete speed that allow you to crawl in your own smoke unspotted? I guess it is somewhere a bit above 1/4 speed (8-9kts).. maybe 12kts? So you could switch between 1/4 and 1/2 speed to get that 12kts.. it is 50% more than 8kts anyway. However the problem is the fast acceleration of the british boats.. with 1/2 you could accelerate from 8kts to 12kts very quickly thus getting out of smoke. Seems tricky if doable however you need to concentrate on that a lot and in wows you have a lot of things to worry about anyways so keyboarding w-s-w-s isn´t something I can see myself doing a lot on top of everything else. :Smile_bajan2:

12.5 knots is the magic number!

As far as I know, ships moving faster than 12.5 knots will outrun their own smoke. Stay at 12.5 knots or below and you will remain smoked up.

So it's fairly simple, really: Set your speed at 1/4 ahead, trigger the smoke, and see to it that you have decelerated enough before opening fire or getting too close, and you'll be fine as long as you don't accelerate.

The problem is going in reverse; in the Haida at least I find I can't do this without outrunning my smoke. She is simply too fast in reverse to be able to go backwards and remain smoked up. I'm not sure whether this applies to the Perth as well, but that is easily checked.

[BRIT6]
Beta Tester
13 posts
4,433 battles

Any faster than 1/4 speed and you’ll exit your smoke which is why you can’t go in reverse unless you have the smoke expert skill.

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
2 hours ago, Kold_duck said:

Any faster than 1/4 speed and you’ll exit your smoke which is why you can’t go in reverse unless you have the smoke expert skill.

And here I was, thinking that the Smoke Screen Expert skill would be a bit wasted on a ship with moving smoke... is this something you have actually tried out? :Smile_ohmy:

[POI--]
Players
4,187 posts
5,167 battles
On 12/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, Procrastes said:

The problem is going in reverse; in the Haida at least I find I can't do this without outrunning my smoke. She is simply too fast in reverse to be able to go backwards and remain smoked up. I'm not sure whether this applies to the Perth as well, but that is easily checked.

Haida as a DD is faster. In Perth I usually don't have that issue.

Also, the main issue with Perth back in the day, I guess, was that there existed ships like Cleveland that just brought massively more at T6. Now, with that one gone and replaced by more modest Dallas, Perth can shine a bit more. Also, the smoke duration isn't too short, but the crawling smoke does mean that there are long durations inbetween smokes where you need to find an island to hug. Leander is overall a vastly more forgiving, albeit also more limited CL, with normal smoke and repair party allowing you to be more consistently smoked up if someone else spots for you.

Players
148 posts
3,168 battles
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, Procrastes said:

The Perth - also known as the world's cutest little cruiser - is easily my favourite ship in her class.

She has such a lot going for her, it's really a puzzle why she isn't more appreciated.

1. She's got moving smoke, that allows her unparalleled defensive mobility. With the special smoke upgrade, the already long duration can be greatly extended.
  2. She's got her little Walrus floatplane, that can remain aloft for an unusually long time even to begin with and whose duration can be further improved by the special float plane upgrade. Apart from the usual extended range and bird's eye view, this allows the Perth to spot for herself even under cover of smoke.
  3. She's got hydro. If you extend its duration with the special hydro upgrade, you can remain almost untouchable by torpedoes even when smoked up. Keep moving forward at 1/4 speed while smoking and stay in a turn - you can switch from left to right at intervals to confuse your enemies even further - and it will become much harder to target your smoke cloud with a speculative torpedo launch.
  4. She's got good guns, and 2x4 single shot torpedoes. She's not very fast but she has otherwise good manoeuvrability, especially when turning (she has the Royal Navy™ physics-defying superpower that allows her to accelerate in a turn).
  5. She's got koalas. (Yes, really. Zoom in on her while in port, and look for yourself!) 

As should be apparent from the above list, the Perth can make use of a whole set of those special upgrades. Now that these are available for coal in the arsenal, there's really no excuse not to get the from the shop asap, as they do make a big difference to the gameplay.

Welcome to the Perth Appreciators' Club, fellow Captains!

:Smile_honoring:

Hey there Procrastes, where is this damn Koala, spent 10 mins last night going over her and couldn't see it, true I had had a few beers but even so a Koala on a ship should stick out like a sore thumb lol

Thanks in advance

SKWK :Smile_great:

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
1 hour ago, Soft_Kitty_Warm_Kitty said:

Hey there Procrastes, where is this damn Koala, spent 10 mins last night going over her and couldn't see it, true I had had a few beers but even so a Koala on a ship should stick out like a sore thumb lol

Thanks in advance

SKWK :Smile_great:

Last I checked, the little bugger was hugging one of the masts somewhere rather high up, either in a look-out basket or beside one of the AA guns. I can't double-check right now, since I'm at work. I think he sits somewhere not too far to the rear of the bridge, but I'm not completely sure. You have to look down at a rather steep angle from above, or he's easy to miss.

Good hunting! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[BRIT6]
Beta Tester
13 posts
4,433 battles
23 hours ago, Procrastes said:

And here I was, thinking that the Smoke Screen Expert skill would be a bit wasted on a ship with moving smoke... is this something you have actually tried out? :Smile_ohmy:

Nope I haven’t tried it out just quoting what I’ve read in other threads.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,187 posts
5,167 battles
11 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Last I checked, the little bugger was hugging one of the masts somewhere rather high up, either in a look-out basket or beside one of the AA guns. I can't double-check right now, since I'm at work. I think he sits somewhere not too far to the rear of the bridge, but I'm not completely sure. You have to look down at a rather steep angle from above, or he's easy to miss.

Good hunting! :Smile_veryhappy:

Spoiler

shot-18_12.13_22_53.08-0773.thumb.jpg.87f38f1e151b33b77ca144c5f5b98141.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,066 posts
2,249 battles
20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:
  Hide contents

shot-18_12.13_22_53.08-0773.thumb.jpg.87f38f1e151b33b77ca144c5f5b98141.jpg

Yup, thar he blows! 

A question for you, Captain Riselotte: Is that koala... poi? :cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,187 posts
5,167 battles
3 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Yup, thar he blows! 

A question for you, Captain Riselotte: Is that koala... poi? :cap_yes:

No idea.

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
69 posts
3,983 battles

Tricky little ship but fun. Unable to carry total fail BBs, two of which hide behind one island last part of the game afraid to come out.

Perttifail.jpg

Btw running non-premium account and got 381k credits.. in a tier6 game, in a loss. :O

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
80 posts
2,355 battles

Returned after a break of a year, Super Container waiting for me in port. Contained a Perth!

Awesome little boat - great destroyer hunter (which is what light Cruisers were supposed to do, after all), reasonable torp capability, excellent spotting and scouting, and so on.

The rolling smoke screen for 90 seconds is just filthy - 1/4 speed HE spam on anything up to 12km out is borderline OP; sit broadside on with all guns to bear and blaze away at BBs. That you can run the spotter and smoke simultaneously really makes it great.

Now, if the impending Exeter premium can also do that, I'd be a very happy player... (not least because Emerald is so meh)

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,187 posts
5,167 battles
4 hours ago, _Dunc_ said:

Returned after a break of a year, Super Container waiting for me in port. Contained a Perth!

Awesome little boat - great destroyer hunter (which is what light Cruisers were supposed to do, after all), reasonable torp capability, excellent spotting and scouting, and so on.

The rolling smoke screen for 90 seconds is just filthy - 1/4 speed HE spam on anything up to 12km out is borderline OP; sit broadside on with all guns to bear and blaze away at BBs. That you can run the spotter and smoke simultaneously really makes it great.

Now, if the impending Exeter premium can also do that, I'd be a very happy player... (not least because Emerald is so meh)

Impending Exeter can't and if it could, it would be OP for T6 even.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
80 posts
2,355 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Impending Exeter can't and if it could, it would be OP for T6 even.

Yeah, wishful thinking I know... but we can hope that WG accidentally make an OP British boat

Sign in to follow this