Sign in to follow this  
Monalie

Zao

6 comments in this topic

Players
263 posts
7,595 battles

I just got my first tier X, the Zao, do you have any recommendations on what would be the best upgrades to use?

[SSA]
Players
523 posts
16,269 battles

1) Main Armaments 2) *any* 3) Aiming Sys or AA-Range (your choice) 4) Steering gears II 5) Concealment 6) Range or legendary

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
61 posts
3,846 battles

I think in slot 2 steering gears survivability is the best choice. If you kite at range it is the thing you can lose but a thing you really don´t wanna lose.

[BGNAV]
Players
133 posts
5,284 battles

What I find pretty efficient for me is:

1) Main Armaments Mod1

2) Propulsion Modification 1 (anything works for this slot)

3) Aiming Systems Modification 1

4) Steering Gears Modification 2

5) Concealment System Modification 1

6) Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 / Enhanced Main Battery and Steering Gears

(recently unlocked the legendary upgrade and now I am using it instead of the range mod)

The first one is a no-brainer - you need your guns and your torps. 

The second is a matter of personal choice. If I take a torp or a citadel hit in the engine, I will be a sitting duck, hence I find this helpful sometimes.

For the third slot - Zao is already very accurate but more shells on target are always a good thing.

4th - dodging shells instead of tanking. No-brainer for me.

5th - compliments the already good concealment and gives extra stealth range for torping BBs when needed.

6th - use range (for a kiting cruiser it's a great choice) and then slap LU when available. Extra rudder shift and range + accuracy - what's not to love.

This is the captain build that I use. Not saying it's the best for everyone, but works great for me.

In most of my builds I tend to rely on adding to the ship's strong sides and not trying to compensate for the weaknesses. An AA build on Zao is a waste for me - you will shoot some planes down but at the expense of raw damage. Also when you compliment the accuracy, Zao becomes a menace for DDs even at range - I have not yet seen another cruiser that can reliably plant 8-10 shells on target at a DD @12-15 km. As everyone knows - killing underaged boats wins games :cap_rambo:

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
61 posts
3,846 battles

Would it be worth to spec out of vigilance to get torpedo armaments expertise for Zao. 10% reduction in torp reload for such a long reload is quite a lot in absolute terms. And if running mainly hydro, vigilance is not so important. However when hydro is on cooldown and you have the legendary that vigilance with +25% spotting range of torpedoes could mean getting hit or dodging them...:Smile_unsure:

Sign in to follow this