Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AbashedLemming

Sitting Idle In Port

10 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts

Why does sitting idle in port use more GPU resources than playing the game? Is there anything that can be done to help with it?

My GPU runs at between 80 and 100 % utilisation just sat idle in port. While not the best laptop it handles the game well enough even, FPS in the 40 to 60 range, albeit with the settings on low. It is just the idle in port that

makes me run hot and causes the fan to go into over drive periodically.

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles

In port, the game still 3d renders. And since it's got less CPU processing to do then in battle, that is probably the answer.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,732 posts
7,398 battles

Use ALT TAB (desktop) when in port idling.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,268 posts
6,795 battles
43 minutes ago, AbashedLemming said:

Why does sitting idle in port use more GPU resources than playing the game?

Ports tend to be quite detailed and full of eye candy. The game itself... I think it's quite a bit less so as distractions are not needed there

Switch over to the "Ocean" port, that will increase the games performance & decrease the load it pulls on our PC

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles

Thing is, since your CPU has less other things to do in port, it is probably just feeding a higher frame rate to the GPU. Could always try limiting frame rate.

Players
8 posts
2 hours ago, HMS_Britannia said:

In aslains pack there is a port mod called black hole, drops my temps by 10 degrees from having a by other port open

Perfect, that is what I was hoping for. Have installed that port and noticed a temperature drop. Still using a ridiculous amount of GPU but cooler so far.

Sign in to follow this