You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SB1090

Tirpitz Help, I just got the Tirpitz, how should I play her?

20 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
1,351 battles

I just got the tirpitz and am very confused on how to play her properly, when I try to play her mid range the guns do not hit anything. I know my aim could be better (I'm still getting used to her velocity) but i've managed to regularly get around 30000 to 40000 damage but i can't seen to get any higher. Any help on the general play-style of the tirpitz would be very appreciated. Also in my latest game i got deleted by a Taiho within 5 mins of the game start, any idea on how to survive that? (Apart from sticking close to friendly cruisers)

I've currently got a 11 point captain with PM, AR, BFT, AFT, any suggestions of crew skills I could take.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,275 posts
6,712 battles

well Vs Cv's   the only thing u can do is stick close to your AA support.

But the tirpitz is a brawler u want to get in close and use those secondery's (and make sure u hit something with your main guns for that mather).

But that does not mean u need to go rushing in from the start tho. Especialy with the T10 MM u get that can be very deadly.

Instead u want to either stay mid range  at first  Or if u think it safe u can get closer with your team when u have an escape ready (liek an island to turn back).

• Cool 1

Players
131 posts
3,756 battles
58 minutes ago, SB1090 said:

I just got the tirpitz and am very confused on how to play her properly, when I try to play her mid range the guns do not hit anything. I know my aim could be better (I'm still getting used to her velocity) but i've managed to regularly get around 30000 to 40000 damage but i can't seen to get any higher. Any help on the general play-style of the tirpitz would be very appreciated. Also in my latest game i got deleted by a Taiho within 5 mins of the game start, any idea on how to survive that? (Apart from sticking close to friendly cruisers)

I've currently got a 11 point captain with PM, AR, BFT, AFT, any suggestions of crew skills I could take.

It seems like your highest tier non-premium BB is a tier 5. You want to grind a tech tree BB to tier 8 before you play the Tirpitz, this will familiarise you with BB mechanics as they become more complicated up the tiers and give you practice at aiming with BBs.

• Cool 1

[AVRDM]
Players
1,403 posts
6,415 battles

I play it with a build full tank as if it were a heavy cruiser. I have good results.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,878 posts
2,042 battles

Never ever sail broadside to other BBs. And especially not to some dufus like me... or other T8 BB drivers.

Then again, I have a Monarch which you will NOT SEE until I am ~10km away... and I will take away 50% of your ship in one blast.

(which is why you better progress to T8 the 'natural' way).

Basically with Tirpitz you need to learn how to play it by experiencing the ships that came before it,

and how they are used best against other ships that are competing with hem.

Beta Tester
3,911 posts
13,875 battles
2 hours ago, SB1090 said:

I just got the tirpitz and am very confused on how to play her properly

The most proper way for You to play it now would probably be in CoOp. Then, after a couple 100 battles You might have learned how to kill bots with it, which would make You better than about 30% of the playerbase..

• Cool 3

[C-L-D]
Players
64 posts
2,605 battles

It depends on whether you are in a tier 10 or tier 8 match. In tier 10 you play cautiously and in an opportunistic way, trying to hit some cruisers broadside in the first half of the match. You can also put nice salvos into broadside BBs, especially japanese ones, but it only happens rarely as they tend to be bow in. Also don't go to the open seas, as high tier BBs will shoot you. Stay close to islands, but not too close to get DD torps. In the late game you can go one on one with BBs and cruisers. On tier 8, you should play more aggressively. You are the king there, delete cruisers early on, harass DDs with the secondaries, go one on one on BBs. If they outnumber you, then turn back, do not go too close at the first phase of the game, when focus fire happens. Also your current build is not ideal. Without the manual control of secondaries, they are not really useful, and you have spent 7 points on them. Other options are superintendant and concealment expert. CE gives you much more room to retreat. Combine it with priority target instead of preventive maintenance, and you can see when you can turn away. I was running a full secondary build for a while. With manual secondaries it is very good for killing DDs, but you can only have it with a 14 point captain. Also, actively hunting DDs is not really possible, they sometimes get in range and you can kill them. Now I changed to CE and I miss the DD kills. Also your torps are there to finish of enemy BBs from very close, like 3 kms. It usually happens in the late game. Go towards the enemy ship, do not show broadside, only if they have fired all of their salvos. Do not fire your torps too early, because they expect and evade it. Get within about 3km, wait for their shot, turn away and release the torps. If they somehow survive, pass the enemy ship by, and release your torps from the other side, when you are behind the enemy ship. Your torp tubes can get incapacitated, especially if you use priority target instead of preventive maintenance. Always keep track which side still works and use that side for torping.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
959 posts
13,500 battles

@OP Use islands to block line of site to enemy ships as much as possible, you want to be at most 12-13 km from enemy when spotted first (oreferably even closer) that takes practice and if at all possible try not to be focused by more then 1-2 enemys at same time, its difficult sometimes as not all maps are good for this, for danage dealing seek out broadside targets, your AP shells (whitch you should be using most of the time) have good damage for caliber and decent penetration power but bad penetration angles whitch means target MUST be broadside for shells to have proper effect if you dont have any such targets (broadside bbs, cruisers or cvs) aim a bit higher for the superstructure hits and damage since all t8+ bbs and even some cruisers will autobounce your shells from their armour when angeled or use HE shells, secondaries can be fun but taking your ship into sec range and doing decent damage takes positioning skills you most likely lack atm and those only come with (bitter) experience, also you have torps, best forget you have them they are a gimmick, not exactly usless but using them safely (not torping an ally or causing them to die due to restriction of movement caused by your torps) and effectively takes even more skill then secondaries and yolo rushing the enemy to kamikaze torp them usually ends in your torps getting knoced out just before you can use them (since everybody and there mother will shoot you at 6km from them and it only takes 1 good shell at those exposed launchers).

In short:

1) use cover to get into position

2) close distance to 10-ish km if possible fir sefondaries

3) seek broadside targets within your main gun range

4) stay angeled to close by bbs and even cas yorself as much as possible

• Cool 1

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
349 posts
10,195 battles
12 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Never ever sail broadside to other BBs. And especially not to some dufus like me... or other T8 BB drivers.

Then again, I have a Monarch which you will NOT SEE until I am ~10km away... and I will take away 50% of your ship in one blast.

(which is why you better progress to T8 the 'natural' way).

Basically with Tirpitz you need to learn how to play it by experiencing the ships that came before it,

and how they are used best against other ships that are competing with hem.

Blub_Blub you should REALY stop giving bad advice to other players, you are not helping them.

[AS13]
Players
1,878 posts
2,042 battles
12 minutes ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

Blub_Blub you should REALY stop giving bad advice to other players, you are not helping them.

Maybe you should go back to Davy Jones locker, there is nothing bad about that.

He should get used to T8 games and the things that other ships do in that tier before using it.

And I am warning him about the 10.~detection of Monarch - and not sailing broadside.

Now, you can call that 'captain obvious' but there's nothing bad there. 

• Cool 1

Players
2 posts
1,351 battles
23 hours ago, Caughtintherain said:

It seems like your highest tier non-premium BB is a tier 5. You want to grind a tech tree BB to tier 8 before you play the Tirpitz, this will familiarise you with BB mechanics as they become more complicated up the tiers and give you practice at aiming with BBs.

I the highest non premium bb i have is the Fuso and New Mexico, I love the playstyle of the fuso but never had enough credits to buy the Nagato. When I try to play this like the fuso I cannot hit anything which is why I asked for help.

10 hours ago, Yedwy said:

@OP Use islands to block line of site to enemy ships as much as possible, you want to be at most 12-13 km from enemy when spotted first (oreferably even closer) that takes practice and if at all possible try not to be focused by more then 1-2 enemys at same time, its difficult sometimes as not all maps are good for this, for danage dealing seek out broadside targets, your AP shells (whitch you should be using most of the time) have good damage for caliber and decent penetration power but bad penetration angles whitch means target MUST be broadside for shells to have proper effect if you dont have any such targets (broadside bbs, cruisers or cvs) aim a bit higher for the superstructure hits and damage since all t8+ bbs and even some cruisers will autobounce your shells from their armour when angeled or use HE shells, secondaries can be fun but taking your ship into sec range and doing decent damage takes positioning skills you most likely lack atm and those only come with (bitter) experience, also you have torps, best forget you have them they are a gimmick, not exactly usless but using them safely (not torping an ally or causing them to die due to restriction of movement caused by your torps) and effectively takes even more skill then secondaries and yolo rushing the enemy to kamikaze torp them usually ends in your torps getting knoced out just before you can use them (since everybody and there mother will shoot you at 6km from them and it only takes 1 good shell at those exposed launchers).

In short:

1) use cover to get into position

2) close distance to 10-ish km if possible fir sefondaries

3) seek broadside targets within your main gun range

4) stay angeled to close by bbs and even cas yorself as much as possible

So i guess the first thing I'll do is buying the Nagato and seeing how higer tiers play, and start going up the german tree?(the nassau put me off and haven't bothered since).  And when I do play the Tirpitz angle in and try to close into ships as much as possible using island cover.

I'll also play Tirpitz in Coop in order to improve my aim, (most of the time i rarely get a good first salvo off)

23 hours ago, Hesp said:

I play it with a build full tank as if it were a heavy cruiser. I have good results.

Any suggestions on cap skills?

Also thank you everyone for replying, Even if i haven't quoted you directly I have read through all of it and appreciate the advice.

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles
4 minutes ago, SB1090 said:

tank build would look something like this: http://bit.ly/2E8QyGj

or, harder to play but arguably more fun especially when toptier or in Coop, Secondary Build (Fire Prevention can be exchanged for Concealment if you prefer): http://bit.ly/2EoIp1o

• Cool 2

[AVRDM]
Players
1,403 posts
6,415 battles
38 minutes ago, SB1090 said:

I use this build. EM is optional but nice. And it will work for the GK.

9mzBp1t.jpg

[AS13]
Players
1,878 posts
2,042 battles

I the highest non premium bb i have is the Fuso and New Mexico, I love the playstyle of the fuso but never had enough credits to buy the Nagato. When I try to play this like the fuso I cannot hit anything which is why I asked for help.

Good idea, it really helped me too. Mind that some ships will not suit YOUR personal style, ever.

So do no0t expect miracles to happen - but you will get better. 99% of the others never ask and keep on sucking.

So i guess the first thing I'll do is buying the Nagato and seeing how higer tiers play,

Yes. Also, watch Youtube videos how other do. 

Not just learn YOUR ship - also know a bit about other ships,

I know shooting at German ships (I have none) is good when they are > 10km away and broadside.

Under 10km I can shoot same tier with AP, but higher tier it will just tickle them so I better shoot HE.

and start going up the german tree?(the nassau put me off and haven't bothered since). 

Nassau is very strong, but slow as hell. Most low tier BBs are slow as hell... 

Oh and the shooting is very very crap, too. But if you hit something it usually is dead.

And when I do play the Tirpitz angle in and try to close into ships as much as possible using island cover.

Yes, on some ships. But not on all. You must know which ones have torps....

Also, NEVER start shooting when you are still far away. Shoot only when you are already detected.

If you shoot from far away, well, the aim of these guns sucks but you will be detected all over the map.

Maybe you are NOT broadside to your target... but at 11km there might be a Monarch (check the player list)... and then BOOM.

I'll also play Tirpitz in Coop in order to improve my aim, (most of the time i rarely get a good first salvo off)

Depends on how many point you have on the captain.

Also thank you everyone for replying, Even if i haven't quoted you directly I have read through all of it and appreciate the advice.

Remember too that it also has to suit your playstyle. AND the combination with 'improvements' (upgrades that you can install) on the ship.

If you do NOT like to go close, do not spend points on manual secondaries.

But if you DO like to go in close, also spec the secondary batteries upgrades in slot 3. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Tirpitz

Good hunting :cap_like:

[POI--]
Players
3,917 posts
5,024 battles
2 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Nassau is very strong, but slow as hell. Most low tier BBs are slow as hell...

Nassau is actually fast for her tier. And frankly, fast enough for T3. Best T3 tech tree BB anyway.

[AS13]
Players
1,878 posts
2,042 battles
9 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Nassau is actually fast for her tier. And frankly, fast enough for T3. Best T3 tech tree BB anyway.

Yeah indeed... 'for her tier'.... agreed 100% to that :Smile_teethhappy:

But I think that is why he went the IJN way, because of the tremendous speed... 

Those old dreadnaughts are definately kinda Zen, though.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,123 posts
18,206 battles
On 12/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, SB1090 said:

- in matches with cv's don't expose urself as a target

- tirpitz is one of the best credits earners ingame, so rather go for a tank build i'd advice

- "queen of cruisers", she is! play her like one ;).... though she's a bb and will get spotted "anyway" so to say, so....

- i don't run any concealment on mine, cap skills are:

pm, 2nd plane

ha, em, ar

si

fp, aft (this solely to enhance the crappy AA a bit while giving same benefit to the secs. occasional fire inbetween always is nice)

modules:

main arms

dcs1

aim sys (must have!)

dcs2

....(hold it)..... target acquisition..... yeah, REALLY :Smile_ohmy::Smile_great:.... absolut priceless for pushing dd's (in smoke, behind islands or even in open water) when needed.

most played ship here, gib t10 matches plZZzzZ.... really :Smile_Default:....

gl man, have a lot of credits and keep rather mid (not too far), but not to close either. in doubt though u got everything on this build to go into brawls as well. and thats the ship itself.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
On 12/7/2018 at 7:17 PM, SB1090 said:

I just got the tirpitz and am very confused on how to play her properly

In a word: aggressively.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,394 posts
7,746 battles

You can use her as sniper, because of the accurate guns and long range torpedoes. Her AA is amazing and Midway can't touch your mama. Her only downside is weak frontal Armor and even Farragut can citadel her, if she is using IFHE to make her shell stronger.

• Funny 1