You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GarrusBrutus

Storm circle gamemode thingy

19 comments in this topic

Players
734 posts
8,170 battles

Can someone please tell me what is fun about this gamemode?

It adds randomness to a game that has too much randomness already.

Having "perfect" weatherconditions is fine as it is. Keep this stormthing to operations where it belongs.

But I guess some will say it looks cool and is fun because its unpredictable.

Well, that is exacly the problem. That unpredictability. I mean it is looking great and the devs have really done a good job implenting weather into the game. But in randoms it can flip won matches by being an advantage to the losing team and not based on skill or good play but by sheer luck of being wellpositioned when that thing lands. That is a bad gamemechanic imo. It is really hard to calculate, predict and adjust your moves to your enemies' moves when you cannot see them until theyre in your face.

This is exactly why arms race was such a "succes". It is fun for a couple of games but then people return to randoms. Now sadly I cannot evade these storms so I'll have to make the best of them.

But so far every game in them has been feces.

image.thumb.png.421a64805821cee92b493db9079c161c.png

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[AVRDM]
Players
1,401 posts
6,407 battles

Arms Race I found it very fun and de-stressing, making you forget the statistics and even enjoying the game. The main problem is that you could not complete missions or achieve achievements of any kind, something that will be resolved soon in addition to including new buffs (And I hope to play Tier VIII, IX and X in Arms Race).

About the new storm mode, I honestly do not even understand it. I see a circle that supposedly is a storm but I do not know what the hell it affects... Although of hundreds of games I have only seen it in one.

If you mean the usual storms, I have to say that my best games and many of my most epic games were during the storms. I do not know, I like it.

[SONLY]
Beta Tester
6 posts
5,538 battles

I prefer this storm thingy over the cyclone nonsense we have in the game for a long time already. At least you can evade it somewhat if you don't like it. And it does not stop you from helping out teammates. So if you ask me its fine.. It also looks a lot better in game, which is nice. 

• Cool 7

Players
701 posts
19,952 battles
2 hours ago, ArnieDude said:

I prefer this storm thingy over the cyclone nonsense we have in the game for a long time already. At least you can evade it somewhat if you don't like it. And it does not stop you from helping out teammates. So if you ask me its fine.. It also looks a lot better in game, which is nice. 

fully agree! and yeah, imho looks kind of cool graphically in battle, so true, indeed

[POI--]
Players
3,908 posts
5,023 battles
2 hours ago, ArnieDude said:

Unless objectives are in the thunderstorm/snowstorm front. Then it's hard to ignore it.

Personally, I don't mind the effect too much. 

Players
104 posts
8,364 battles
7 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

sheer luck of being wellpositioned

that is one way of doing things, alternatively you can be well positioned because you know what you are doing.

Why you assume that their good position is luck not skill is obvious, but still, as any mechanics in game, use or abuse it for your advantage.

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles

I so far like this addition to the game. I haven't played this particular epicenter map enough though but it should give some interesting gameplay options.

These storms basically make ships inside the storm harder to hit. Should aid people in this epicenter mode to play for the objective.

Weekend Tester
847 posts
4,560 battles

comrade.jpg.c63b22b95d4571f3c3b947af2e877429.jpg

Is it really necessary to make the 100th Storm thread this weak just so you can get a point across?

There's is nothing wrong with having a unpredictable factor in game, if anything it adds to the changing strategy and ability of players to counter each other in some new and interesting ways. By going with the logic of "game is unpredictable" and "too much randomness" we might as well remove the A and D keys and make so that we can only shoot ships that are in front of us. Because that is very predictable and randomless gameplay.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

The storm circle (and how realistic is it to have a perfect circle instead of a weather front that sweeps from the whole of one side of the map to the other) adds complexity to the game.

For the better players this probably adds to the challenge & variety of the game and is refreshing.

So if you like the new storm mechanic then you are probably 1 a better than average player, and I salute you! :Smile_honoring:

However spare a thought for the average/below-average players that make up a substantial proportion of the game, and upon whom the good players feast to keep up their morale.

Extra complexity just makes the game more difficult and frustrating.  You get to the point where you ask yourself "Why Bother?".

That's OK for ridding the game of irritating old gits such as me - but do you want to risk a potentially large number of players thinking the same and quitting?

Make bad weather optional - and everyone will be happy.

1 A Strong correlation but nothing is ever 100%

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
1 minute ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

By going with the logic of "game is unpredictable" and "too much randomness" we might as well remove the A and D keys and make so that we can only shoot ships that are in front of us. Because that is very predictable and randomless gameplay.

You are taking this argument to absurd lengths to try to make your point.  The old trick of "reductio ad absurdum".

Were you educated by the Jesuits by any chance? :Smile_teethhappy:

P.S. If you want more variety in the game, try playing ships from some other country than Germany.

I'm on record as saying that the German Fleet is my favourite, but you take it to extremes!

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
3,580 posts
5,919 battles
3 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

that is one way of doing things, alternatively you can be well positioned because you know what you are doing. 

Why you assume that their good position is luck not skill is obvious, but still, as any mechanics in game, use or abuse it for your advantage.

You know how retarded the average player is in this game?

Ontopic:

Since i havent played too many randoms, i didnt get the storm once so far. So i cant tell. But the same thing happens with Cyclones aswell. They turn wins into losses.

Beta Tester
194 posts
5,643 battles
11 hours ago, Hesp said:

About the new storm mode, I honestly do not even understand it. I see a circle that supposedly is a storm but I do not know what the hell it affects...

It wouldn't surprise me if that was fairly common, I'm guessing only a very small subset of players read the patch notes https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/ Basically destroyer detection reduced by 10%, everyone else by 20% if LOS passes through the storm circle. Dispersion of shells increased by a factor of 1.3. Gun bloom returns to normal in 7s rather than 20s whilst in the storm.

Other than the increased dispersion I'm not sure where the "randomness" the OP is referring to comes from as the storm is entirely predictable in all other respects.

• Cool 1

Players
298 posts
9,029 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

The storm circle (and how realistic is it to have a perfect circle instead of a weather front that sweeps from the whole of one side of the map to the other) adds complexity to the game.

For the better players this probably adds to the challenge & variety of the game and is refreshing.

So if you like the new storm mechanic then you are probably 1 a better than average player, and I salute you! :Smile_honoring:

However spare a thought for the average/below-average players that make up a substantial proportion of the game, and upon whom the good players feast to keep up their morale.

Extra complexity just makes the game more difficult and frustrating.  You get to the point where you ask yourself "Why Bother?".

That's OK for ridding the game of irritating old gits such as me - but do you want to risk a potentially large number of players thinking the same and quitting?

Make bad weather optional - and everyone will be happy.

1 A Strong correlation but nothing is ever 100%

I’ve been in a team so god damn awful we deserved to lose as a team. Cyclone came and I with the help of another player who grasped the concept of aggression managed to turn the lose into a win. 

The random factors can change a poor poor game and offer a chance and variety regardless of player skill. I’ve seen the best teams collapse in a storm/cyclone handing an opportunity to the other team to pull it back.

overall, more engaging.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,731 posts
7,392 battles

I dont like it either.

The foggy look makes me miss a lot.

Because I shoot based on ship interaction with water/islands/background (hard to explain, but ... hopefully some will understand).

[AVRDM]
Players
1,401 posts
6,407 battles
2 hours ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that was fairly common, I'm guessing only a very small subset of players read the patch notes https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/ Basically destroyer detection reduced by 10%, everyone else by 20% if LOS passes through the storm circle. Dispersion of shells increased by a factor of 1.3. Gun bloom returns to normal in 7s rather than 20s whilst in the storm.

Other than the increased dispersion I'm not sure where the "randomness" the OP is referring to comes from as the storm is entirely predictable in all other respects.

I usually read all the notes of the patches. For some reason I overlooked this surely because of what I thought would be like the "other storm". Well then I am in favor of removing this storm mode, too complex and there is an in-game disinformation about its effects generating chaos and bewilderment. And above all the increase in dispersion is completely stupid for a game with competitive aspirations.

I hope not to find a game with the magic circle of absurd percentages without a calculator nearby.

• Cool 1