You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Historynerd

"Il destino degli uomini" - upcoming film about Italian naval hero Luigi Rizzo

3 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

This film focuses on the figure of Luigi Rizzo (1887 - 1951), Italian naval officer.

A merchant navy captain, he was mobilized in the Regia Marina for WWI; he was eventually transferred to the MAS flotilla. When operating aboard these fast attack crafts, he obtained notable successes, among which the sinking of the old coastal defense ship SMS Wien and the dreadnought SMS Szent István, for which he was awarded with two Gold Medals and three Silver Medals for Military Valour. After the war, he participated in Gabriele D'Annunzio's Impresa di Fiume, and retired as Capitano di Fregata in 1920. Resuming his career in the merchant navy, he was named Conte di Grado in 1932, and in 1936 was promoted Ammiraglio di Divisione of the Naval Reserve for exceptional service.

Briefly resuming active service in the early years of WWII, he became president of the CRDA in 1943; when Italy signed the armistice on 8 September, he ordered to sabotage the ships to avoid them falling in the hands of the Germans. For this, he was detained by the Gestapo in Austria till the end of the war.

In his honour, the Marina Militare named two ships, a Carlo Bergamini-class frigate and a new FREMM-class frigate that entered service in 2017.

• Cool 1

Players
773 posts
12,293 battles

The trailer looks pretty nice, although I'm not sure if covering his whole deeds from both WW1 and WW2 (and, by the looks of it, the "obligatory" romance/drama subplot) would work as intended.

One Italian WW1 naval action that I'd like to watch since I read about it is the raid on Pola. It could even have a more straightforward, old-school script like the ones in the war movies of the '50s and '60s (I'm thinking about e.g. The Cockleshell Heroes, The Enemy Below or Sahara). To be fair, I'm a bit biased about how to make it because I'd like such a movie to roughly follow the events in the way Luis de la Sierra narrates them in his book Buques Suicidas, including the previous attempt with the Grillo (link to the Italian Wikipedia article about the "barchini saltatori", a kind of tank-boat hybrid designed to surpass the defensive barriers of naval bases).

Anyway, Memento Audere Semper.

Salute.