You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NothingButTheRain

0.7.11.1, all replays past 30 deleted again

22 comments in this topic

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles

So it appears that any tweak anyone did to increase the total amount of saved up replays gets reset again after this last patch, and all replays except for the last 30 will get involuntarily deleted again without asking for permission to do so.

Why is this? Can't this get changed permanently? Do I have to disable auto-update, just to prevent files on my computer from getting deleted without my consent whenever I start the game?

There is no reason to delete these automatically, I can do this manually if I wanted to.

@MrConway, @Tuccy, @Crysantos

And which file did I need to change again to disable this new feature? Is it possible to simply revoke the updater from making changes to this file or to prevent the updater from deleting or removing it?

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
3,564 posts
5,902 battles

Thx for the headsup... was just about to start the game and i wanted to save my one Kutuzov replay

WG... :cap_fainting:

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles

So does anyone know which entry needed to be changed? Obviously the edited file also got deleted, so I can't use search program to seek out the to be edited file that way.

On the NA forum there is a thread about this, but it doesn't tell me what I would need to edit and in which file.

6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Thx for the headsup... was just about to start the game and i wanted to save my one Kutuzov replay

WG... :cap_fainting:

Lucky you.

I lost all replays from 23-11 to somewhere on 3-12.

I was doing a count on how often I played which scenario battle and was puzzled as the numbers kept not adding up...until I figured out the replays were simply not there anymore that is :Smile_sceptic:

Now I'd need to go through my screenshots manually instead of being able to let a program do the count for me, that will be a pain.

Now I don't really need these replays THAT MUCH anyhow, but I do want this bs to stop here, now and permanently. I don't want to have to do extra file management just so I can play the game and I don't want to have to set up some file synchronising for what basically is absolutely no good reason what so ever. This is just plain potatolevel.

I'll have to disable auto updating of all WG titles for now till this nonsense is solved.

[NWP]
Players
3,564 posts
5,902 battles
1 minute ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So does anyone know which entry needed to be changed? Obviously the edited file also got deleted, so I can't use search program to seek out the to be edited file that way. 

On the NA forum there is a thread about this, but it doesn't tell me what I would need to edit and in which file.

Res-folder and the engine_config file.

• Cool 1

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Res-folder and the engine_config file.

The entry is <maxReplaysToSave>30</maxReplaysToSave>, change the 30 to something higher (I simply added a couple zeros).

I made the file read-only for now, though dunno if this will affect the game in any negative way.

Half an hour that could have been spend more constructively, for sure.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,142 posts
2,240 battles
43 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So it appears that any tweak anyone did to increase the total amount of saved up replays gets reset again after this last patch, and all replays except for the last 30 will get involuntarily deleted again without asking for permission to do so.

Why is this? Can't this get changed permanently? Do I have to disable auto-update, just to prevent files on my computer from getting deleted without my consent whenever I start the game?

There is no reason to delete these automatically, I can do this manually if I wanted to.

@MrConway, @Tuccy, @Crysantos

And which file did I need to change again to disable this new feature? Is it possible to simply revoke the updater from making changes to this file or to prevent the updater from deleting or removing it?

I've talked to the team and we will see how much work is required to make this a persistent setting, rather than one that is overwritten with a new version.

We understand that it is used differently, but in its current version we see the replay functionality as more of a tool for investigating issues and bugs, which is why we wanted to minimize the storage overhead. Add to that that the replays can usually not be played with a newer client version and you have your answer.

I'll let you know the result! :) 

• Cool 2

[PK11]
Beta Tester
618 posts
10,007 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, MrConway sagte:

..., but in its current version we see the replay functionality as more of a tool for investigating issues and bugs,...

You see it this way, we see it another way. However, we are the customers, so we are right.

• Cool 3

Players
772 posts
12,265 battles
2 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So does anyone know which entry needed to be changed?

I agree it's going to be a bit annoying if the file edition has to be done every single time a new patch appears. I suppose I'll have to check out and modify again if needed before I try to play today, it would be quite enraging losing all but the replays from the last 3 days or so.

Salute.

Players
353 posts
1,485 battles
2 hours ago, MrConway said:

I've talked to the team and we will see how much work is required to make this a persistent setting, rather than one that is overwritten with a new version.

We understand that it is used differently, but in its current version we see the replay functionality as more of a tool for investigating issues and bugs, which is why we wanted to minimize the storage overhead. Add to that that the replays can usually not be played with a newer client version and you have your answer.

What would be double-plus-good would be if it could be adjusted in the normal, in-game settings menu :Smile_great:

Not that I'm averse to changing the game file in question, it just seems like it should be easy...

[ADRIA]
Players
4,231 posts
6,782 battles
2 hours ago, MrConway said:

The previous version of replays - where we needed to activate them manually in whatever file it was - worked perfectly fine (except for the replay bugs which still exist just like they used to) AND it didn't reset every time + it didn't delete anything.

Why did you have to go and make a whole new *(clearly worse)* system for it instead of adding a button in game options which changes the <isReplayEnabled> between "True" and "False", with a possible extra addition of this "max replays" thingy.

Seriously, when will WG learn to stop fixing what isn't broken? Still waiting for any good reasoning why the div window was changed, there's no reason to stack even more :etc_swear: on that same pile

[-HUN-]
Players
733 posts
8,313 battles
1 hour ago, Donnerturm said:

You see it this way, we see it another way. However, we are the customers, so we are right.

In soviet russia, the company complains about you. :P

haha-u-funny-now-go-to-gulag.jpg

Players
944 posts
8,499 battles

An alternative perhaps?

I use Bandicam.. storage limited only by the size of your hard drive... and not that expensive either.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,142 posts
2,240 battles
14 hours ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

I agree it's going to be a bit annoying if the file edition has to be done every single time a new patch appears. I suppose I'll have to check out and modify again if needed before I try to play today, it would be quite enraging losing all but the replays from the last 3 days or so.

Salute.

14 hours ago, 10ThousandThings said:

What would be double-plus-good would be if it could be adjusted in the normal, in-game settings menu :Smile_great:

Not that I'm averse to changing the game file in question, it just seems like it should be easy...

I heard back from the devs and as I expected we are not willing to implement an in-game toggle and settings menu for replays until we are satisfied that replays are ready for a wide release.

We will however move the relevant "30 replays setting" from the engine.xml to the preferences.xml in an upcoming patch, this will make the setting persistent and prevent it from being changed with updates! :cap_like:

I don't have an ETA yet, but we'll try to slot it in one of the next upcoming updates!

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,980 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

I updated yesterday and I have around 400 replays in my folder.

All was OK and my setting (MAX = 500) was preserved...

How can that be?

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I updated yesterday and I have around 400 replays in my folder.

All was OK and my setting (MAX = 500) was preserved...

How can that be?

Leo "Apollo11"

Check if your file is set to read only. First thing that came to mind.

[BUSHI]
[BUSHI]
Players
126 posts
7,178 battles

Why is the default limit set to only 30 in the first place? @MrConway
Some people can play that much in 1-2 days.

1 replay file is like 3mb at most. If you'd set the default limit to 1000 that would be 3GB max. Even 100 would be more reasonable and that's only 300mb.

You actually managed to make the lousy replay feature worse than it was before, well played. Live long WeeGee programming.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,142 posts
2,240 battles
18 minutes ago, The_Baptist said:

Why is the default limit set to only 30 in the first place? @MrConway
Some people can play that much in 1-2 days.

1 replay file is like 3mb at most. If you'd set the default limit to 1000 that would be 3GB max. Even 100 would be more reasonable and that's only 300mb.

You actually managed to make the lousy replay feature worse than it was before, well played. Live long WeeGee programming.

Because we enabled it as a debug feature to be able to report issues encountered in game, for this purpose 30 are more than enough.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,980 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

6 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Check if your file is set to read only. First thing that came to mind.

I found the answer after I checked things when i got home from work...

I have 2 files:

D:\Games\World of Warships\res\engine_config.xml

D:\Games\World of Warships\res_mods\0.7.11.1\engine_config.xml

due to use of 120FPS limit via Aslain's MODPack... and there is the modified and unchanged "<maxReplaysToSave>500</maxReplaysToSave>" line... in other words I never changed the "default" file "engine_config.xml" but the one in my MOD section...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,350 posts
10,825 battles

WHAT???!!!!!! This thing DELETES MY FILES?  OMFG. This is the only way I can keep track of my numbers. I am copying that to another drive but forgot to do that fro some time because those files are so small. 

WHY? Why would anybody care about a few MB per game files? Why WG is treating players like brainless monkeys which can't track their disk usage. 

At least WARNING would be in order, not deleting user things without consent. Geez @MrConway how could you do that!

I am now away from my gaming box and if I really find my replays are missing I will be seriously pissed off! :cap_rambo:

[ALONE]
Players
1,350 posts
10,825 battles
On 12/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, MrConway said:

Because we enabled it as a debug feature to be able to report issues encountered in game, for this purpose 30 are more than enough.

Greedy, selfish, uncooperative approach. Despite those files being encrypted (WHY???) I still use the header to keep track of my games statistics. And now you come with boots into my drive, delete my files without asking, and tell me "30 are more than enough"?!

Great direction. Instead of opening the replay format, or at least disclosing that f-n encryption key (as you did for WoT) you just... DELETE things?

I am outraged.