Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Wingoka

Chat Ban System being abused Frequently.

27 comments in this topic

[HAWKS]
[HAWKS]
Players
22 posts
14,957 battles

Dear WG

I fail to see the purpose of your Report system the way it works now.

People report each other for chat violation no matter what the course is the only report with any consequence at all, and it is frequently misused now a days.

In most other games the developers can figure out a easier and more efficient way to stop chat abuse. This is mostly an community of grown up people, so f word and idiot are common words. So maybe you should reflect on  making an effort to remove Racial diskrimination and other kind off abusing  stuff instead. 

The way it works now is every time a Division does not agree when you try to point out tactical mistakes you get reported for chat violation.

Sorry if i misspelled words but English is not my native language.

• Bad 2

[NORKS]
Players
19 posts
3,470 battles

Reporting people is to make you feel better. As far as I know it doesn’t actually result in any action being taken against individuals.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,077 posts
21,913 battles

Takes some extra "chatiness" to earn chat ban. I'm pretty salty every 2nd day, but still not chat banned once.

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,749 posts
2,796 battles
8 minutes ago, Wingoka said:

Dear WG

I fail to see the purpose of your Report system the way it works now.

People report each other for chat violation no matter what the course is the only report with any consequence at all, and it is frequently misused now a days.

In most other games the developers can figure out a easier and more efficient way to stop chat abuse. This is mostly an community of grown up people, so f word and idiot are common words. So maybe you should reflect on  making an effort to remove Racial diskrimination and other kind off abusing  stuff instead. 

The way it works now is every time a Division does not agree when you try to point out tactical mistakes you get reported for chat violation.

Sorry if i misspelled words but English is not my native language.

We're aware that there is some misuse of the chat report system, we're currently working on a different avenue that should cut down on it drastically.

Please use it only when you actually encounter chat rule violations.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
3,452 posts
8,920 battles
28 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Please use it only when you actually encounter chat rule violations.

The problem with this, I understand, is that all the other complaint options have no tangible impact; complaints of chat abuse are believed to actually have an effect (albeit minor) i.e. an actual chat bat. People want their complaints to actually do something, hence the abuse of the system.

I have rather a lot of sympathy for WG's predicament here: on the one hand, a lot of players value the ability to complain about whatever useless muppets they may encounter, but on the other, *most* players probably constitute 'useless' according to some folk, so there is a problem right there. You, of course, also have the trolls, who'll just report people for the hell of it. Plus, the less able will want to complain about whoever wasn't entirely tactful when offering tips to improve their play...

Basically, WG are Doomed: clearly, relying on the basic sense and decency of people is a non-starter; a system that does nothing won't have any credibility and get royally whinged about, whereas introducing a system with teeth will leave them up to their nuts (my reference is horticultural*) in trolling/false reports etc. etc. and get royally whinged about.

* Apologies to Oscar Wilde.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
197 posts
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

We're aware that there is some misuse of the chat report system, we're currently working on a different avenue that should cut down on it drastically.

Positive reinforcement is a common means in teambuilding as well as internal and external communication since decades now. On the other hand punishing people (wether for a reason or not) will only teach them to punish others.

Change the system to positive karma only, get rid of this issue popping up again and again and eventually even notice positive results.

• Cool 3

[COR3]
Players
993 posts
11,513 battles
14 hours ago, Profilus said:

Takes some extra "chatiness" to earn chat ban. I'm pretty salty every 2nd day, but still not chat banned once.

No, you can only say good evening and nice things and that can get you chatbanned......

Just takes enough people either having an axe to grind with your clan or the fact that you outplayed them to be completely sielent for 24 Hours.

Been there done that got muted. :)

with the Holidays approaching this all will get very very much more annoying. :(

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
3,122 posts
18,385 battles

Well you know that situation when you start preaching what to do to some random guy and in the end he carries the match, gets high caliber and 2-3x your base xp? Guess what he will do when he sees the after battle screen...

• Cool 1

Players
4,530 posts
9,449 battles
14 hours ago, Benaulim said:

Positive reinforcement is a common means in teambuilding as well as internal and external communication since decades now. On the other hand punishing people (wether for a reason or not) will only teach them to punish others.

Change the system to positive karma only, get rid of this issue popping up again and again and eventually even notice positive results.

I think negative behavior should come with a consequence. Just look at what happened when they reworked the team damage system? It's MUCH greater now than it was before, partially because it's much stricter.

Teambuilding is great, but the rules will have to be followed very strictly once someone intends to make it a habit to break them, because you can't have a healthy community without rules and rules need to be enforced.

Also the ones in charge of executing these rules will need to be just, or you'll end up with corruption like leadership.

And you'd need to be a good leader and this is hard, especially when you're looking from it from the sideline.

It's just not about teambuilding, though teambuilding is a crucial part in building a healthy (online) community.

• Cool 2

Players
1,484 posts
10,134 battles
14 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well you know that situation when you start preaching what to do to some random guy and in the end he carries the match, gets high caliber and 2-3x your base xp? Guess what he will do when he sees the after battle screen...

He will be magnanimous and say,

"My dear sir, although I appreciate your advice was well intentioned, the fact that I alone, with the absence of your support, carried the game to conclusion means that you know absolutely :etc_swear:."

" So please replace the handset and try again for you know not what you speak."

• Funny 3

[COR3]
Players
993 posts
11,513 battles
9 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I gave up on telling any random player what to do and how a great while ago.

Go with the flow and react to what you can do.

• Cool 2

Players
4,530 posts
9,449 battles

And afaics, the current (automated) chat ban system seems to work pretty well?

I've never been chat banned in a way that is similar to what OP states and neither has anyone I know in WoWS, including any of my clan members.

I've only read about it on the forums, but usually this was just and they simply wouldn't accept it and it turned out to be not as much about them having been chat banned unjustly (because their chat ban was just), but because they couldn't deal with their broken inflated egos. And in such cases I think it will actually be helpfull to them. And to all the rest as I don't need to read their cr*p anymore! :Smile_great:

The chat ban abuse should definitely be reduced, if possible, but afaic the team damage and chat ban system seem to work pretty well already.

Players
4,530 posts
9,449 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

I gave up on telling any random player what to do and how a great while ago.

Go with the flow and react to what you can do.

Agreed. It will usually only result in you getting reported more often.

If anyone is being abusive in chat, just right click and report for bad chat (but silently) and ignore him.

Most people are just frustrated with their own inability to positively influence the game and believe it to be just to blame others for their own mistakes.

Don't try to change them, they will have to change on their own accord or suffer the consequences.

• Cool 3

Players
535 posts
6,957 battles

a lot of players know that all other report are for nothing so they use only the one for chat just to have biggest impact - so they report poor/passive and so on gameplay with chat report ...

WG should implement other report to work so if 10-20 players report you for poor gameplay ( or whatever is called ) than you can use your statistic to see if he is in fact poor / bad but he have no problem using his CV or DD or whatever to drag all other to lose ---- than he should get same punishment as chat ban = 24h he can play only COOP ( you can limit that to t7-t10 ),, that would be such a nice and good change in game, players would learn how to be better, there would be a lot less salt in chat and so on ... 

[JRM]
Players
3,122 posts
18,385 battles

Uhh i can already envision the site of triple syncdropped clan divisons reporting anyone they dont like to get them banned for 24h...

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
197 posts
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I think negative behavior should come with a consequence. Just look at what happened when they reworked the team damage system? It's MUCH greater now than it was before, partially because it's much stricter.

Teambuilding is great, but the rules will have to be followed very strictly once someone intends to make it a habit to break them, because you can't have a healthy community without rules and rules need to be enforced.

Also the ones in charge of executing these rules will need to be just, or you'll end up with corruption like leadership.

And you'd need to be a good leader and this is hard, especially when you're looking from it from the sideline.

It's just not about teambuilding, though teambuilding is a crucial part in building a healthy (online) community. 

And yet reporting players is exploited again and again while on the other hand leading to nothing but frustration among those punished unjustly. Something that simply can't happen when the options are limited to reward respectively getting rewarded, can it?

On the other hand I am afraid your example with the effects of stricter rules regarding team damage fails. It's automated and - except for the rare cases when someone deliberately sails into your torpedoes - instantly punishes the person responsible.

As far as misbehaviour in chat is concerned I usually mute those guys almost instantly. After all that's what actually solves the problem while them getting chatbanned for a couple of matches doesn't benefit you at all. I only wished one could mute the ones spamming F-keys, too.

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,181 posts
7,204 battles

If only there wasn't an official announcement of a new development about the subject, which was posted 4 hours before your own post...

Bad luck eh?

image.png

image.png

Players
535 posts
6,957 battles
2 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Uhh i can already envision the site of triple syncdropped clan divisons reporting anyone they dont like to get them banned for 24h...

so if there score is last 2-3 every last 10-15 games I don't see a problem - do you want 35% 20k av dam t8 CV player gangbanging you and whole team with his I don't know how to play cv but I have 300/500/1000 battle in it ..

[JRM]
Players
3,122 posts
18,385 battles

Oh you meant some kind of average? Couse that was not what you said in your

post... Still, even so - no, as much as I dont like having somone like that on my team for obvious reasons I understand they have the right to play and learn by doing, there is only so much you can learn in coop and ops and real battle skills can only be hoadned properly by doing battle, espetially positioning and map control, some that "never learn" or even want to learn is just a fact of life and not only in wows for that matter but much more serious areas of life, some comfort lies in inherent human trade of ego and that doesnt like loosing, with proper tutorage most such players will eventually come around

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
236 posts
10,489 battles

This is what happens when the other "choices" when reporting a player are useless and have zero impact.

The number of games you see the same account quite clearly botting, not moving for 10mins until they are spotted or shot at is getting silly, you report the player for afk/botting and there they are day after day, the reporting system is not fit for purpose. 

The revised approach to chat violations, clearly shows that the automated system is open to abuse, all it would take is for there to be a few GM's who can actively investigate reports, even pop into games and see what is going on, make  a decision and action it.

Other online games have GM's that can move around the games freely, it's just a lack of commitment and investment on WG's part, we don't even have the option to spectate on battles, we have to watch a twitch stream, it is the 21st century. 

If people are toxic in a language not native to the player how is that going to be monitored and policed? I strongly suspect it can't be.

The whole reporting system is broken, getting multiple reports from the same player during the same game just because you go to a different cap than the arm chair admiral wants you to go to, etc, etc.

Bring real people back in to the mix, then maybe the community will get better, automating the process just shows you do not care about the outcomes.

TB.

[DAVY]
Players
2,638 posts
37 minutes ago, T3ddyBear said:

Other online games have GM's that can move around the games freely, it's just a lack of commitment and investment on WG's part.

Bring real people back in to the mix, then maybe the community will get better, automating the process just shows you do not care about the outcomes.

TB.

And how can GM's/real people seriously monitor over 1000 battles going on at the same time? daft idea

• Funny 1

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
236 posts
10,489 battles
20 hours ago, bushwacker001 said:

And how can GM's/real people seriously monitor over 1000 battles going on at the same time? daft idea

I wasn't suggesting they look at every match being played, I was suggesting that if they received say 5-10 bot reports on a player in say 30mins, they can see if that "player" is online, check which match he is in, go view it and WATCH. it's bloody obvious when a bot is sitting there waiting to be spotted or shot at. If they confirm they believe it to be a bot, they try to speak to the player, if no response and they carry on then you BAN them for 24hrs.

It is not rocket science, any online company worth their salt should be doing everything it can to remove bots, cheats, toxic behaviour. Leaving it to an automated system is lazy, cheap and as we now see from the recent chat abuse news, not effective.

Why are people so opposed to being monitored to ensure compliance to the rules?

TB.

[ZERG]
Beta Tester
7 posts
2,343 battles

one fix to this is go to the wot system .. 1 report to a person in a battle ... job done cant spam it and if it is particularly abusive take a fracking screenshot and send it to support .. 

*Edited*

Edited by sapphira_
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to discussing moderation.

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
236 posts
10,489 battles

Here are some simple changes for the reporting system;

1. Only your team should be able to report you for poor play, why this is an option for the enemy I have no idea, will stop those players that have been HE spammed from reporting enemies, or from those players that report CV players at the start of the game just because they are in a CV.

2. AFK/bot should be reportable by both teams and should be checked quickly by WG, if they dont have the ability to jump in and monitor a specific players actions out side of chat logs then they need to develop one.

3. Chat Abuse :- people report for chat abuse when they disagree, simply saying swearing is enough for a chat abuse report is daft in this day and age, the odd swear word is common place, that said continuous rant swearing or racial attacks are not acceptable. Again WG should act on these quickly, BUT when they can clearly see the reports are malicious and there is no reason then they should be banning the reporters.

This is all about community management in game, the automatic system is not fit for purpose, there are obvious bots, when a player plays 100 games in a day, it is simply not reasonable, but there they are, just look at the hall of fame, some of those "players" are starting a game every 6-7 mins, it's madness and is worse than AFK. 

The reporting system is flawed, always has been, simple changes and some commitment is all that is required, doesn't seem much to ask does it?

TB.

Sign in to follow this