You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

Request on helping to improve nagato play(replay included)

13 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,369 posts
5,758 battles

I can't watch it now and actually I will not when I get home because I don't think I am qualified enough to give advices to other people on how to play,

But I did what you did here.. that is a very good step!

You have the most important thing to be a good player...

You have a working brain, thinking what can I do better, what I don't know..

Kudos to you!

There are some people here, who will watch your replays and give advices.

My only advice is.. just post a couple more.. may be 5 in total.

And please pick the ones you think that you may have done better.. or you died early or you failed etc etc..

Post the bad or average battles you think..

then get ready for... "THE HUNGER GAAAMEEESS"""..

Nope.. the last part is totally unrelated.

Sorry :)

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,288 posts
18,734 battles

hey. can't watch replay atm either, but may can give some basics on the nagato:

it's more like a battlecruiser, so rather low armor and big guns (afaik biggest calibre on tier 7). that being said, it's not a brawler, rather a mid-to-long range ship.

... but never borderhug anyway lol, about 13/15-20 km i think is its sweetspot.

use wasd hack, angle in, use "some" range and superior firepower and u should be fine. gl

[JRM]
Players
1,312 posts
14,668 battles

Cant watch replay from work but in general (goes for nagato/mutsu as well as for westvirginia/colorado) stay at 15-ish km in a place where you can cover lots of realestate (slightly back between caps) and make all the red shipping that turns outward in front of cap pay for that mistake, again and again and again

[NWP]
Players
657 posts
9,594 battles

I’m not a B.B. main so won’t give advice on BB playstyle per say. But what I can do after I’ve had some post nightshift sleep is watch it and give advice on how to counter DD’s and Crusiers as they are my strong points, if you want.

The best way to learn a class is also learn the strengths and weakness of its opposing class.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,907 posts
6,246 battles

I'll watch the video later, but two general things to keep in mind when doing Nagato, its optimal range is between 11 to 16 km, and watch your angling allot, it has a shotrish window in angling when it's a pillbox, one degree less and you eat citadels, it's the BB of old when angling was a traight that when learned made you or broke you as a BB skipper, unlike todays BB's (not naming any to avoid a mine :Smile_smile:

I kept mine, and i'll sooner sell my Kamikaze then my Nagato :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
1,512 posts
15,430 battles

With not even 300 random battles you don't have much experience yet. Tier 7 is a bit too high for now. You can learn faster at lower tiers, especially if you play different ship lines.

There is a lot of experience needed to know when to go where. Without watching the replay, only from your hitrates with BBs I can tell you are too far away from the battle or in a bad position. Don't worry, I was the same or even worse at 300 battles. It takes time to learn in this game, it's deeper than it looks.

• Cool 2

Players
399 posts
859 battles

Thank for the advice guys, so if I’m correct, I should be trying to play it as a Uber cruiser, using its oddly decent agility to avoid getting hit in the first place.

1 hour ago, Major_Damage225 said:

I'll watch the video later, but two general things to keep in mind when doing Nagato, its optimal range is between 11 to 16 km, and watch your angling allot, it has a shotrish window in angling when it's a pillbox, one degree less and you eat citadels, it's the BB of old when angling was a traight that when learned made you or broke you as a BB skipper, unlike todays BB's (not naming any to avoid a mine :Smile_smile:

I think you can say Germans BBs/conkeks without issues, that said, what do you think is the optimal angle for nagato? In my experience is roughly 55 degrees.

1 hour ago, Ze_Reckless said:

There is a lot of experience needed to know when to go where. Without watching the replay, only from your hitrates with BBs I can tell you are too far away from the battle or in a bad position.

Probably a combination of bad positioning and generally trying to shoot dds non stop. Anyway do you have any tips on aiming at ships that are traveling in a slight angle or turning? I know broadside on ships is shoot at waterline.

Beta Tester
1,907 posts
6,246 battles
31 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

I think you can say Germans BBs/conkeks without issues, that said, what do you think is the optimal angle for nagato? In my experience is roughly 55 degrees.

Hmm, to me it would be between - -  to max - - degrees, i'll get you a more accurate number when im back from vacation :Smile_honoring:

EDIT:i goofed up (mutch skillz XD) and will edit it shortly. 

Edited by Major_Damage225

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles
3 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Anyway do you have any tips on aiming at ships that are traveling in a slight angle or turning? I know broadside on ships is shoot at waterline.

Depends if you can overmatch them or not. Nagato has big guns, so you basicly can overmatch the bow of all lower and same tier BBs, but no T8+ BBs. Cruisers you can overmatch everything except the belt armor (well, some spots on IJN Cruisers i believe Atago / Ibuki Deck armor).

Where you have to shoot angled targets comes down to experience imo, and really if you want to hit the bow/upper Belt/Superstructure.

Also some general advice because nagato Armor:

its 25mm all around except the belt, so HE spam hurts.

Against BBs, it depends what you are facing. You can bowtank all T5 BBs, NewMex, Fuso, Arizona, KGV/DOY, Normandie, Dunkerque and Lyon. Everything else will not only overmatch your bow, but also your deck and upper belt.

I can have a look at your replay later on.

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
1,512 posts
15,430 battles
1 hour ago, howardxu_23 said:

Anyway do you have any tips on aiming at ships that are traveling in a slight angle or turning?

Practice makes perfect. At lower tiers you get too shoot a lot without being punished too hard for mistakes. Low tier fast firing cruisers are perfect for that job, russian DDs are good as well. So just play, have fun and try to learn from your mistakes.

With a BB you have a long reload which makes it important to make your shots count. It's not only important to get the right lead, most of the time targets will react to your shot and dodge. Guess right how they react and you can hit them hard.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles

Had a look at it now, my thoughts on it:

- dont switch ammo when you dont have Expert loader. Even a less optimal (AP vs DD or HE vs something else) is still better than nothing for 30 secs.

- I didnt like your initial movement at all. Always have a look at your concealment (btw no camo?). North is kinda small map in that sense, as you were spotted at the border of the enemy base! If a DD would have gone center you would have been permaspotted easily. If you go straight ahead, and when you have to turn, you show full broadside - that can go bad very fast. Also you moved even further to the center despite having nothing to screen infront of you - worked this time because noone went there.

- You asked about shooting turning targets, i felt that sometimes you might have aimed a tad too low/high, or you were unlucky. Its hard to tell in a replay.

- You were very lucky that the Richelieu ignored you, bow on to him you might easily receive 20-30k damage. Your first salvo at him, if he is angled, try to shoot at the bow section, you can still penetrate him there. Further back you got only ricochets.

Why did you start your spotter plane vs the Fiji? I was a bit confused. If you play so aggressively, try to have it as a backup against Torps/emergency spotting. Later on it was on CD, when the Lightning/Massa were 5km behind the island and you couldnt see them. Even if it gets shot down fast, you still now the position of the enemy, which makes it easier to evaluate the danger of torps.

Especially for Nagato, i felt you played a little bit too stationary/aggressive, especially in T8 MM.

I felt you might have problems to see how fast the enemies are moving. Ofc there are many different values, so its hard to remember how fast each ship is moving. Against the Fuso you took too much lead, and even later it was almost too much. Either try to look at islands/buoyis and compare it to the target, or shoot one single turret and see where the shells are flying. Take proper lead for the other turrets after that.

• Cool 2

Players
1,834 posts
10,289 battles

I think you don't really have any major issue with regards to positioning base on the replay. You know when to push and when not to not overextend. There is map awareness in knowing where the DDs are However, abit too passive and slow to react, especially at the start.

The more immediate problem is with your aiming, which is pretty bad. Don't try to aim at the waterline all the time unless you have a perfect broadside target. Say that Richelieu,  you could have shot at its guns/ superstructure with an AP volley instead of going after that DD. Also while its good that you switch ammo and go after enemy DDs, personal preference wise I would just keep to my AP shells when shooting at the DDs. I think you wasted quite a fair bit of time changing shell types during the battle. 

2 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

Anyway do you have any tips on aiming at ships that are traveling in a slight angle or turning? I know broadside on ships is shoot at waterline.

Assume that Nagato below is the enemy ship you're aiming at from a distance. It is travelling angled towards its left. Assuming it maintains this course, where you should be aiming at is  where the orange circle is at since the Nagato is travelling away from you. If you aim at the water line i.e the green circle area then baring RNGesus, all your shots will miss as they'll splash harmlessly to the right of the Nagato. Basically aim higher when they're angled away/turning left and aim lower if they're angled in/ turning right.

Presentation1.thumb.jpg.253ce97156d763c1e85acd47713368f3.jpg

Let me shamelessly throw in one of my latest BB replay if you're interested in having a look. I think it's a pretty decent game.

https://replayswows.com/replay/36570#stats

• Cool 1