You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DangerousDave2k

Gearing or Harugumo first?

32 comments in this topic

Players
181 posts
5,331 battles

I've finally scrimped and saved enough for another T10 ship, and my options are Gearing and Harugumo. I prefer Fletcher to Kitakaze but my numbers in the latter are slightly better - not that either T10 is a clone of the T9s of course. I was under the impression that Harugumo was overall a better ship (as much as you can abstract from different play-styles), but after the initial rush of Harugmos, I don't actually see that many of them any more - we seem to be back to the Z52/Shima metta. So does this mean Haru isn't actually that good?

Which would anyone recommend to get first?

[UIF]
Players
370 posts
5,561 battles

Always pick most recently released ship, they are usually better then old ones. I have Gearing and it is not bad and you can sometimes do ok in it, but newer DDs are either better or way better, it is called power creep - WG makes newer ships better so people who want to do well and do not want to get rolfstopmed by new ships have to farm again every new ship that comes out. 

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles
15 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I've finally scrimped and saved enough for another T10 ship, and my options are Gearing and Harugumo. I prefer Fletcher to Kitakaze but my numbers in the latter are slightly better - not that either T10 is a clone of the T9s of course. I was under the impression that Harugumo was overall a better ship (as much as you can abstract from different play-styles), but after the initial rush of Harugmos, I don't actually see that many of them any more - we seem to be back to the Z52/Shima metta. So does this mean Haru isn't actually that good?

Both ships are great, especially if you use 19p Captains.

But remember, both ships have their own pro's and con's.

Maybe watch some Youtube Reviews before you decide which one you gonna pick?

If i had to choose now, i would pick the Harugumo first.

p0403.gif

Players
1,585 posts
11,066 battles

Both are viable in Clan Battles, ranked and Randoms. They play very differently. Depends on what you like and which ships you already have.

If you like to play minicruisers, go Harugumo. It can cap, sort of, if it has to. Usually ends up getting torped. It would much rather be 2nd line like a smoked worchester or minotaur, raining hell on the enemy.

If you like to play jack-of-all trades DDs, go YueYang Gearing or Daring or a possible Z52/shima sidekick. 

Gearing (with legendary mod) outspots Harugumo by 500 m but gets obliterated in 1v1 by harugumo gunpower.

Gearing can mount 2x5 fletcher torps, or slower reloading 16,5 km torps which makes it a much better torpedo boat (and the guns arnt bad either).

Personally I prefer the Gearing playstyle. I am too impatient to let anybody else be the spotter and dislike the camping playstyle of Harugumo, but it certainly dishes damage out like no other DD.

It is almost Worchester levels and can burn down a BB solo.

Gearing works with 10 point captain, is alot better with 14 points or 19 points.

Harugumo requires at least 14 points to even be playable.

• Cool 2

Players
4,085 posts
6,225 battles
28 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I was under the impression that Harugumo was overall a better ship (as much as you can abstract from different play-styles), but after the initial rush of Harugmos, I don't actually see that many of them any more - we seem to be back to the Z52/Shima metta. So does this mean Haru isn't actually that good?

Yea... they are very different to begin with, as you noticed yourself. I would say: its harder to play a Harugumo but it has way more potential. I guess many people just saw the Harugumo videos of the unicum CCs and thought "ill do this myself" and then failed. Getting deleted in a Haru happens fast if you make a mistake. Which brings us to...

31 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Its all about your style. Looking at your stats, it seems like you do well with Kitakaze and the IJN DDs before that in general. You are good with Fletcher too, but many people say, Fletcher is better then Gearing. So if you feel comfortable with the clumsy Harugumo, are confident you can dodge torpedos and know how to deal with beeing shot at while in your smoke: Id suggest Harugumo for you. In addition, I completly agree with what @GulvkluderGuld said, no need to repeat it myself, so keep that in mind aswell.

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,577 battles

Both Gearing and Harugumo are clumsier than their tier 9 predecessors. Harugumo is very one dimensional, fun at times and not at all bad, but as a dd I prefer Kitakaze. It's more versatile and somewhat nimble in comparison. I haven't specced Harugumo optimally yet though. Gearing is good, but doesn't excel in any way. Eats more damage than Fletcher. Risk is that you'll be disappointed with either choice, initially. If you enjoy standard dd play, Gearing might be a safer option. Harugumo is new though...

• Cool 1

Players
181 posts
5,331 battles

I'm leaning towards Gearing at the moment - I've tended to avoid one-dimensional and/or campy ships in the past (e.g. the US CL line) because I don't really enjoy that play style. Also Harugumo just effectively caught a nerf by not receiving the 1/10 full pen to BB rounds, which is going to make any kind of cap contesting even more problematic.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
126 posts
8,127 battles

Pick Gearing for conventional DD play, I use Fletcher torps for the reload. Why the hell would you need 16km range on torpedoes? If you're 16 km from the target ship, you're playing it wrong.

Harugumo does not play as a classic DD - and the turning circle will cost you dearly if you try to chase anything other than PA DDs. 

Harugumo is more fun, but needs good teammates to synergize, be it DD that spots, cruiser that radars...

[NOCAP]
Players
1,504 posts
15,380 battles

If you pick Gearing you can start working on the legendary module which lowers the concealment to 5.6 km at the cost of some dpm. Harugumo has no LM yet. I would go for the ship you would enjoy more, fun > numbers.

[NWP]
Players
626 posts
9,586 battles

Gearing is a better team supporting ship with lots of tools to use. Harugumo is a more selfish ship but very scary for BB’s and light cruisers caught out.

Alle 1/12/2018 alle 21:33, MMASK ha scritto:

Pick Gearing for conventional DD play, I use Fletcher torps for the reload. Why the hell would you need 16km range on torpedoes? If you're 16 km from the target ship, you're playing it wrong.

Harugumo does not play as a classic DD - and the turning circle will cost you dearly if you try to chase anything other than PA DDs. 

Harugumo is more fun, but needs good teammates to synergize, be it DD that spots, cruiser that radars...

The 16km torps are ok. Great for denying a large push and works well with DOT.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
126 posts
8,127 battles
14 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

The 16km torps are ok. Great for denying a large push and works well with DOT.

If you can't reach a large push with 10,5 km torps, considering enemies are moving towards you, you won't deny anything.

Players
1,585 posts
11,066 battles
5 minutes ago, MMASK said:

If you can't reach a large push with 10,5 km torps, considering enemies are moving towards you, you won't deny anything.

Considering 10,5 km is the range of USN radar and that moskva radar reaches even a bit farther, an extra 2-3 km torp range is VERY welcome in my book. All you need is one hit for a flooding.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
126 posts
8,127 battles
12 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Considering 10,5 km is the range of USN radar and that moskva radar reaches even a bit farther, an extra 2-3 km torp range is VERY welcome in my book. All you need is one hit for a flooding.

Longest range of USN radar: 9,95 km of Des Moines, all others have it shorter.

Torpedo range is just like gun range: it's nice to have it, but the closer you are, the greater your chances of landing successful hits.

One hit for a flooding that's insta repaired? If you're hoping to hit, from 10 km or more, ships whose damage repair party is on cooldown with torpedoes, good luck with that.

[NWP]
Players
626 posts
9,586 battles
4 hours ago, MMASK said:

One hit for a flooding that's insta repaired? If you're hoping to hit, from 10 km or more, ships whose damage repair party is on cooldown with torpedoes, good luck with that.

That’s why you then use yours guns to start fires. Hence why I said Gearing is good at damage over time...

but you chose to be combative about useful tactis...

Players
1,104 posts
8,552 battles

Gearing or Haragumo.

My Gearing has 8.4km torps @ 71 knots and with the LU (5.6km detectibility) I play her like my Shimakaze and I am seeing some amazing results... Before anyone says anything she in NOT a Shimakaze.

Her guns firing HE , which reload at 3.1 seconds, do deter enemy ships from their pushes. The Gearing AP though is in my opinion garbage...

1258941374_Screenshot(649).thumb.png.3df06ca35bf47c8f7755a28f78e98df3.png

Experience has taught me when to stand and fight, when to withdraw, this is the key to my Gearing success..

----------------------------------------------

If the Haragumo is like the Kitakaze which I have then she is in my opinion a hard hitting brawler who takes on all comers... I am excited in the fact that I am only 80k from getting her...

As to which one first, your own playstyle should point you in the right direction..

• Cool 1

Players
1,585 posts
11,066 battles
5 hours ago, MMASK said:

Longest range of USN radar: 9,95 km of Des Moines, all others have it shorter.

Torpedo range is just like gun range: it's nice to have it, but the closer you are, the greater your chances of landing successful hits.

True about radar range. On the other hand, good luck getting a favorable trade (or ANY torp hits) if you enter radar range to torp that radar cruiser.  He just radar and blap you :cap_rambo:then evasive or pull back.

Also, you'll be surprised how easy it is to hit bow-tanking BBs and clumps of ships at > 10 km. 

Torp detection range is still 0,8 at 13 km and that matters a lot compared to Gearing with 1,3. You'll see when you get the YY.

As to the results, let me tell you the story of a Montana i got a flooding on,  then smoke+daka for 4 permafires and Blub-blub-blub back to port he went in something like 2 mins.

Even if you dont get fires yourself, most cruisers and BBs are smart enough to focus the guy who ate a torp. Most of the time that means a kill or severely chunked hp pool.

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,577 battles
2 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

My Gearing has 8.4km torps @ 71 knots and with the LU (5.6km detectibility) I play her like my Shimakaze and I am seeing some amazing results...

Really..? Are you not seeing pretty good results in Shima and YY over the last three weeks, but a bit worse with Gearing? given your recent results with Gearing and LM, shouldn't you reconsider your build for Gearing?

edit: sorry a mistake.. clarified the mess

Beta Tester
111 posts
13,920 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, DangerousDave2k said:

If you like the Fletcher over the Kitakaze, I quess the Gearing is the best bet. It’s classic DD gameplay.

Harugumo is a light cruiser for all intends and purposes; Kitakaze is much more DD than Harugumo will ever be.

• Cool 1

Players
1,104 posts
8,552 battles
3 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Really..? You're not seeing pretty good results in Shima and YY over the last three weeks, but not that good with Gearing? given your recent results with Gearing and LM, shouldn't you reconsider your build for Gearing?

In what way should I reconsider my build? I would happily welcome suggestions..

My Shimakaze games and YY games have improved because I am trying different things in different games...If a game is radar heavy on the enemy team I am extra cautious never being close enough to not be able to escape.. when the line up is limited radar I can play far more aggressively... I watch my apposing DD's as they are detected and so can again be aggressive or careful... BB's don't concern me insofar that they are not close to radar ships.

I had a bit of a dip with my Gearing but changed play style to mirror the way I play Shimakaze and my performance has improved... dropping the torpedo range means that as I have 5.6km concealment I can get close in to a target rather than firing long range and hoping for the best... In other situations I can use my mains to great effect...

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,577 battles
23 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

In what way should I reconsider my build? I would happily welcome suggestions..

My Shimakaze games and YY games have improved because I am trying different things in different games...If a game is radar heavy on the enemy team I am extra cautious never being close enough to not be able to escape.. when the line up is limited radar I can play far more aggressively... I watch my apposing DD's as they are detected and so can again be aggressive or careful... BB's don't concern me insofar that they are not close to radar ships.

I had a bit of a dip with my Gearing but changed play style to mirror the way I play Shimakaze and my performance has improved... dropping the torpedo range means that as I have 5.6km concealment I can get close in to a target rather than firing long range and hoping for the best... In other situations I can use my mains to great effect...

Sorry, I meant the shima and YY were good in comparison to your gearing games. I'm not sure when you changed your playstyle in Gearing. Maybe you have improved it lately. I'm not overly sold on the Gearing LM that you're using, but I haven't tried it myself. If you're doing better lately, you don't need any suggestions, but if your stats keep lagging in Gearing, it might be better to do a proper gun build. ..or just play shima if you want that playstyle. Shima seems to be better at it...

edit: I'm not sure going super close to your torp targets is as good in Gearing as in shima either. Gearing eats a ton more damage in my experience, when caught in a bad spot.

• Cool 1

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
366 posts
10,530 battles

Just my 2 cents about the Gearing, dont have Hara: it sure likes to eat AP. It is high above the water, and slow. In no other DD I get devastated so hard as in my Gearing. But.....there are AP changes coming, and CV gameplay. And Gearing happens to have murderous AA with defAA.....:cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,341 posts
11,248 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, DangerousDave2k said:

If you prefer Fletcher to Kitakaze, you're probably going to prefer Gearing to Harugumo - although it's hard to say for sure when we don't know what you like and dislike about each of the t9s.

Harugumo has a concealment that makes it hard to call her a DD and things only getworse when you look at her handling. Kitakaze still qualifies as an all-rounder DD (though heavily on the gun side) while Harugumo is all about her guns - she has hardly any other redeeming factors. If you prefer Fletcher to Kitakaze, then you probably prefer the more torp-oriented play, better concealment and superior handling (the main advantages of Fletcher). If so, then picking Harugumo brings you further away from the things you like.

Long story short: if you prefer Fletcher rather than Kita, then Gearing is probably the better t10 for you. What's more - Harugumo seems to differ from Kitakaze more than Gearing from Fletcher (at least since Fletcher's torps are available) so while it's safe to assume that you'll like Gearing if you liked Fletcher (not necessarily ,like more than F. but still like), the same can't be said about Kitakaze->Harugumo progression. So...

1. Gearing is likely to be more fun for you than Harugumo

2. Assuming that you like both Fletcher and Kitakaze, the risk of you disliking Gearing is lower than the risk of disliking Harugumo since Flether and Gearing differ less than Kitakaze and Harugumo.

In light of these two points - Gearing is probably the safer recommendation for you.

• Cool 2

Players
1,104 posts
8,552 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

Sorry, I meant the shima and YY were good in comparison to your gearing games. I'm not sure when you changed your playstyle in Gearing. Maybe you have improved it lately. I'm not overly sold on the Gearing LM that you're using, but I haven't tried it myself. If you're doing better lately, you don't need any suggestions, but if your stats keep lagging in Gearing, it might be better to do a proper gun build. ..or just play shima if you want that playstyle. Shima seems to be better at it...

edit: I'm not sure going super close to your torp targets is as good in Gearing as in shima either. Gearing eats a ton more damage in my experience, when caught in a bad spot.

My Gearing is now top end of 47% WR and climbing. My Shima WR is almost 48%..

They don't seem good numbers I know but given March they were 42% and 43% respectively I am satisfied.. Think my YY is now 50% and she was even worse before at on 38%..... 

I only go close in Gearing if I can press an advantage without detection.. I won't blindly charge and as Gearing is not so agile I always have the way out ready before I go in.. Once the torpedoes go I am straight out and usually that is the end of the target.. Except the  :etc_swear:Montana she can eat 8 of 10 torpedoes and laugh it off... so I reload 90 seconds later give her another 6 and she goes pop...lolz..

Now that I am playing a good game I am enjoying the DD experience again.

@eliastion I think your reply to the question asked explains the question of choice remarkably well...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,457 posts
7,852 battles

I use gearing with 16km torpedoes, and also with torpedo acceleration, giving it 13.2km range with 71 knots (fastest and this way stealthiest torps for gearing without compromising range). I use this setup also in clan battles. Perfect range and better speed. I'm in 68% wins with her in randoms. Almost all solo. I think my winrate in CB with her is close to same. Not sure where to check that tbh... (this season 66% in CB)

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
1,294 posts
14,624 battles

I like us dds all of them from nicholas onwards, my gearing lacks only one 2 pt skill - torp acceleration for 19pt to be complete and yes I use 16km fish, i used fletcher fish before but due to radar abundance and reality of sometimes needing that extra range to hit a bb/ca thats turning away especially in cw/rank where you dont really force dd vs dd knifefights - i switched, other then that it has pt-ls-bft-se-ce-rpf and gun reload module, dont have lu yet, dont have kita or hara yet but despite liking zuki a lot i wouldnt expect too much from hara its rather clumsy dakka support dd if i want nasty dakka i take my khebab out fir a spin :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1