You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BLUB__BLUB

Cpt points on Monarch the Bone-Argh

28 comments in this topic

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles

OK probably a "Captain Obvious"question, but here goes. :fish_nerv:

How to divide captain points on the Monarch? He now has (almost) 17 points.

1583988627_Bone-ArghCaptain.jpg.f4a2877584e4c1d8fa60868caac34210.jpg

I'm not planning to play the ship much, but I need to get to T10 to play CB with my clanmates. 

But, I'll stick the captain on the Hood as well, and probably also on Warspite (until I get/breed a fresh 10p one and train him).

The IFHE he has now is gonna go, it was good for King Grog the Filth but I never want to play that one again. Ugghhh!

So... which ones do you advise? And what to keep for the last 2 points? Since I want the captain for Hood & Warspite, probably not that obvious.

Also, note that I am not a camper, I like to dive in and shoot AP... which is why Conqueror will only see CB I think (better I grind the US BBs).

Alpha Tester
1,837 posts
5,321 battles

I would go for a rather classic BB build:

1. Priority Target
  2. Expert Marksman and Adrenaline Rush
  3. Superintendent
  4. Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention

The remaining three points should be put into Basics of Survivability when you get a 19 point Frank Reed.

EDIT: Other alternatives include a combination of Expert Loader/Preventative Maintenance and High Alert/Jack of All Trades but this is more relevant if you have the Dunkirk captains.

• Cool 2

Players
51 posts
2,430 battles

The nice thing about British battleships is that they can use several captain skills, unlike other lines that are kind of limited to one tanky build.

1. Priority Target is always good.

2. Preventive Maintenance is good because British BBs have flat armor on the front of their turrets, unlike the angled turrets on other BBs. A good player will take out your turets first since they are so easy to kill.

3. Expert reloader is good because, unlike other BBs, British have usable AP and HE.

4. The standard fire prevent build is good since everyone likes to shoot HE at you, but not needed since the Lion and Conq can zombie heal back like 30k+ fire damage each heal.

5. Jack of all trades is good since the have a longer cooldown on their heals, which are more important to British BBs than other BBs.

6. Superintendent is always good.

7. Vigilance is good on the Conq since it has no way to spot torps (no plane or hydro) and has a weak torp protection belt.

8. Concealment expert is good on everyone.

Heck, if you really wanted to you could even spec AA. Its not "that" good since Brits long range AA kind of sucks, but their mid range is fairly strong. Also carriers are bound to be much more abundant after the rework hits.

As always, adren rush and expert marksmen are great pickups as well.

Honestly, just about the only things that wont work is IFHE, secondary builds, and carrier builds

• Cool 1

Players
952 posts
5,617 battles

The one ship that I can't put myself to grind any further, I've been stuck at Monarch for at least a year I would say.

Anyway, tank build like others suggested, it carries over to the higher tiers as well. Get AR before BoS IMO

• Cool 1

Players
1,019 posts
7,776 battles
14 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

5cf030914d.png

Last two points would be Adrenaline Rush for me.

I'm running this, with the exception of PrevMaint+JoAT instead of BoS. It's Jack Dunkirk with the buffed JoAT.

• Cool 1

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles
21 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

5cf030914d.png

Last two points would be Adrenaline Rush for me.

I like the one withe the incoming fire at 6km, really handy because of long-distance-sniper-campers. 

Why the turret rotation thing?

19 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

I would go for a rather classic BB build:

1. Priority Target
  2. Expert Marksman and Adrenaline Rush
  3. Superintendent
  4. Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention

The remaining three points should be put into Basics of Survivability when you get a 19 point Frank Reed.

EDIT: Other alternatives include a combination of Expert Loader/Preventative Maintenance and High Alert/Jack of All Trades but this is more relevant if you have the Dunkirk captains.

I have a Dunkirk captain but use him on cruisers. Classic would be wise - as I also will use him on Hood and probably Warspite.

15 hours ago, JimmyThePirate said:

The nice thing about British battleships is that they can use several captain skills, unlike other lines that are kind of limited to one tanky build.

1. Priority Target is always good.

2. Preventive Maintenance is good because British BBs have flat armor on the front of their turrets, unlike the angled turrets on other BBs. A good player will take out your turets first since they are so easy to kill.

3. Expert reloader is good because, unlike other BBs, British have usable AP and HE.

4. The standard fire prevent build is good since everyone likes to shoot HE at you, but not needed since the Lion and Conq can zombie heal back like 30k+ fire damage each heal.

5. Jack of all trades is good since the have a longer cooldown on their heals, which are more important to British BBs than other BBs.

6. Superintendent is always good.

7. Vigilance is good on the Conq since it has no way to spot torps (no plane or hydro) and has a weak torp protection belt.

8. Concealment expert is good on everyone.

Heck, if you really wanted to you could even spec AA. Its not "that" good since Brits long range AA kind of sucks, but their mid range is fairly strong. Also carriers are bound to be much more abundant after the rework hits.

As always, adren rush and expert marksmen are great pickups as well.

Honestly, just about the only things that wont work is IFHE, secondary builds, and carrier builds

Yes most things will work. But remember I am sort of nuts, I follow the DDs - not the cruisers. 

And I shoot DDs... will absolutely refuse to camp... Vigilance is a good tip[ though. Hood also doesn't have any plane. 

14 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Tank build basically.

I guess you mean 'Mega-heal-build'?

9 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

The one ship that I can't put myself to grind any further, I've been stuck at Monarch for at least a year I would say.

Anyway, tank build like others suggested, it carries over to the higher tiers as well. Get AR before BoS IMO

Monarch is awful. I like it better than King Grog so far though. At least it has decent AP (well sort of, the dispersion is horrible).

6 hours ago, jss78 said:

I'm running this, with the exception of PrevMaint+JoAT instead of BoS. It's Jack Dunkirk with the buffed JoAT.

Must think about Dunkirk. I might still get the second brother through playing Dunkirk. 

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, BLUB__BLUB sagte:

I like the one withe the incoming fire at 6km, really handy because of long-distance-sniper-campers. 

Why the turret rotation thing?

The turret rotation of British BBs isn't good, so it's a must-have for my mobile playstyle.

You can of course change this build to your needs, if you like Incoming Fire Alert, take it. You will have to play with that captain, not me ;)

• Cool 1

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

The turret rotation of British BBs isn't good, so it's a must-have for my mobile playstyle.

You can of course change this build to your needs, if you like Incoming Fire Alert, take it. You will have to play with that captain, not me ;)

Ah, I only have US BBs for the rest - maybe that is why I do not know the turret rotation is bad.

I have a sort of madman playstyle. That is why I like Hood. Hit-and-run. As in: take the enemy cap... in a New York...

I am quite used to the slow turrets though. Maybe I should try IJN BBs or Germans.

See, this is why I ask. Else I would not have known the rotation is bad. 

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles

Well, went for it - and considered I'd get a few more points before 19.

1- Preventive Maintenance (becasue indeed preventing getting shot...)

2- High Alert, for faster reprinting (after all they are RN BBs)

3- Basic Firing Training, it will help on Hood (AA+20), and 10%off reload on all.

3- Superintendent, one more heal (can;t have too many reprints and yes I have plenty premium heals)

3- Vigilance, I like hunting DDs... and I'm always in the front. So yes, the sooner I see them torps coming the better

4- concealment expert, to get out when it's a bit too hot and print myself a new one.

Thanks all for the tips. This one will go on Hood and (now) Monarch up to Conqueror

And will probably also go on Warspite. Meanwhile I'll grind a Dunkirk Brother... Jack Of All trades?

Now what do you think I should do with the last 3 points. Priority Target is not my favourite.

Usually when I'm in the sh.... I know it.... we'll see how that goes (I have almost one point grinded so can put it on pretty quick).

I'm thinking Incoming Fire Alert + Last Stand... 

What do you think?

11353639_CPTpoints.thumb.jpg.68a900df9dcea92365e4684ff4aa63fe.jpg

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
On 11/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, BLUB__BLUB said:

Ah, I only have US BBs for the rest - maybe that is why I do not know the turret rotation is bad.

I have a sort of madman playstyle. That is why I like Hood. Hit-and-run. As in: take the enemy cap... in a New York...

I am quite used to the slow turrets though. Maybe I should try IJN BBs or Germans.

See, this is why I ask. Else I would not have known the rotation is bad. 

IJN still has slow turrets. German T7+ gets away without EM though.

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
672 posts
10,292 battles

@BLUB__BLUB, @Commander_Cornflakes has posted the standard tank build.

With British BB's, the t9/10 have really long heal cool downs, so drop BoS and take JoaT with either PM or EL. That's a recommended spec by Flamu too in his anti-Brit BB design gimmick philosophy rant video.

I take PM to reduce my guns being taken out, and because EL isn't always that useful if your front and rear turrets aren't always firing in sync. Get one of the Dunkirk twins in her for enhanced JoaT. You can buy Burtie for coal in the Arsenal at the moment.

Players
2,160 posts

@BLUB__BLUB please do us all a favour and change the title on the thread from your daft made up nickname for the Monarch, it's confusing at best.

People have made sensible recommendations for skipper skills they will work for Monarch, Lion and Conqueror.

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
366 posts
10,530 battles
9 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

3- Basic Firing Training, it will help on Hood (AA+20), and 10%off reload on all.

3- Superintendent, one more heal (can;t have too many reprints and yes I have plenty premium heals)

3- Vigilance, I like hunting DDs... and I'm always in the front. So yes, the sooner I see them torps coming the better

4- concealment expert, to get out when it's a bit too hot and print myself a new one.

Thanks all for the tips. This one will go on Hood and (now) Monarch up to Conqueror

And will probably also go on Warspite. Meanwhile I'll grind a Dunkirk Brother... Jack Of All trades?

Now what do you think I should do with the last 3 points. Priority Target is not my favourite.

Usually when I'm in the sh.... I know it.... we'll see how that goes (I have almost one point grinded so can put it on pretty quick).

What do you think?

Funny how you ask for help, some good players respond with good advice , and you pick something completely different :cap_like:

Players
2,160 posts
8 minutes ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

Funny how you ask for help, some good players respond with good advice , and you pick something completely different :cap_like:

Indeed, clearly he knows best, well hardly matters...

Ask for advice then totally ignore it and go for some dubious to useless options.

• Cool 1

Players
2,160 posts
11 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

What do you think?

Just so you know - High Alert works on Damage Control (fires, floods, engines out etc) NOT Heals (Repair Party), won't help with printing a new ship at all.

BFT will only work on the AA and secondaries, none of the RN BB's have much of either, certainly not enough to note or buff.

Vigilance? Meh I don't rate the skill much.

No expert Marksman or Adrenaline Rush, both of which help doing the primary job of killing enemies. No Fireproof or Basics of Survivability, BB's take a fair bit of HE spam, this is unwise at best.

• Cool 1

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles
11 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Probably, but I am quite used to it (Queen E was a LOT slower and i really loved that). I manage to find the next target before the reload finishes.

TBH I find the  r turret traverse speed quite fast... on Hood i find it sort of insane.

4 hours ago, Armorin said:

@BLUB__BLUB, @Commander_Cornflakes has posted the standard tank build.

With British BB's, the t9/10 have really long heal cool downs, so drop BoS and take JoaT with either PM or EL. That's a recommended spec by Flamu too in his anti-Brit BB design gimmick philosophy rant video.

I take PM to reduce my guns being taken out, and because EL isn't always that useful if your front and rear turrets aren't always firing in sync. Get one of the Dunkirk twins in her for enhanced JoaT. You can buy Burtie for coal in the Arsenal at the moment.

JoaT was worth it if you have a Dunkirk, I have one - going to put him on in the end but for now he needs more points.

Then indeed - drop BoS and take Joat. 

2 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

@BLUB__BLUB please do us all a favour and change the title on the thread from your daft made up nickname for the Monarch, it's confusing at best.

People have made sensible recommendations for skipper skills they will work for Monarch, Lion and Conqueror.

I'll try. Watch though I'll mainly use Hood and Warspite on this captain, I think you missed that. 

I only need to grind Monarch, Lion and Conqueror for the CW/CB. Probably won't play > T6/7much after. 

1 hour ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

Not really, I have mixed/matched. Also took some of my clanmates. Some also didn't really get the idea and forgot about Hood and Warspite.. 

1 hour ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Just so you know - High Alert works on Damage Control (fires, floods, engines out etc) NOT Heals (Repair Party), won't help with printing a new ship at all.

BFT will only work on the AA and secondaries, none of the RN BB's have much of either, certainly not enough to note or buff.

Vigilance? Meh I don't rate the skill much.

No expert Marksman or Adrenaline Rush, both of which help doing the primary job of killing enemies. No Fireproof or Basics of Survivability, BB's take a fair bit of HE spam, this is unwise at best.

Yeh, I know it works on the 'R' button (faster cooldown), ff-ed that up in my explanation.. 

BFT indeed not much good for T7+, but will work on AA and secondaries -  see Hood and Warspite. 

Vigilance I took as Hood tends to munch torps dues to playstyle (close) and length of the ship.
Also someone here said Conqueror likes torps too - which my clanmates said as well. 

Expert marksman is no use to me, I have no problems there (I really like Queen E... enough said?)

Adrenalin Rush i had on it, but it will not suit me. What usually happens is I sail along being sort of full health,

and  then I mess it up and the health goes down REALLY quick... once I am on 1/2 health, usually I get focused and downed fast.

And I haven't had more than 2 fires in ages. Usually just 2. got 3 on Colorado last time though right before I met Davy Jones.. 

• Angry 1

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles
12 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Good pointers. So I'll be amazed when I play a German BB I guess. 

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
5 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Probably, but I am quite used to it (Queen E was a LOT slower and i really loved that). I manage to find the next target before the reload finishes.

TBH I find the  r turret traverse speed quite fast... on Hood i find it sort of insane.

4 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Good pointers. So I'll be amazed when I play a German BB I guess. 

German T7 and up are basically Hood traverse. T9 and T10 slower, because you would take Main Battery Mod 3 that slows the traverse slightly in exchange for higher rate of fire (totally worth it though when you get 25 second reload on GK and 23 seconds on FdG).

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
672 posts
10,292 battles
5 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

JoaT was worth it if you have a Dunkirk, I have one - going to put him on in the end but for now he needs more points.

Then indeed - drop BoS and take Joat. 

It's worth it on the t9/10's without Dunkirks enhanced JoaT. You'll tend to fire the higher tier Brit BB's love to blow up at the moment of heal cooldown. 5% of a long time is a long time.

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles
10 minutes ago, Armorin said:

It's worth it on the t9/10's without Dunkirks enhanced JoaT. You'll tend to fire the higher tier Brit BB's love to blow up at the moment of heal cooldown. 5% of a long time is a long time.

It probably is.... but that's then for the next 3 points (which I'll have long before reaching Conqueror, no worry). Will get there, some time.

For now, I am sort of stuck in that Monarch, playing more Hood - and hopefully there'll be a christmas discount on Warspite.

Which means I'll play Monarch a bit less... might put the Dunkirk Bro on that one. 

I believe you guys, plenty good tips there. However, not all took Hood/Warspite into the mix.

I'm certainly not a fan of the higher tier Brits so far... so I'll play the mids more.

[WGB]
Players
2,083 posts
26,347 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

christmas discount on Warspite

There's a 30% doubloon discount on Warspite in-game. 

Commonwealth Week
Start: Fri. 30 Nov. 06:00 CET (UTC+1)(PT+9)
End: Tue. 04 Dec. 06:00 CET (UTC+1)(PT+9)
From November 30 through to December 4, you can receive an additional XP bonus for your first win of the day, and buy Premium British ships flag_United_Kingdom.png premium.png VI Warspite and flag_United_Kingdom.png premium.png VII Hood, as well as Premium Commonwealth ship flag_Commonwealth.png premium.png VI Perth, at a discounted price!
Discounts and Bonuses:
  • +50% XP bonus for the first win of the day
  • –30% doubloons required for Premium British ships 
  • Warspite = 4550 Doubloons after 30% Discount
  • Hood = 6790 Doubloons after 30% Discount
  • Perth = 3360 Doubloons after 30% Discount

• Cool 1

Players
2,474 posts
2,527 battles

10 minutes ago, iJoby said:

There's a 30% doubloon discount on Warspite in-game. 

Hmmm...  that works out, about 16.50 euros. Just can't buy 4550 doubloons, so I'd still need to spend 20.

It will leave me with some doubloons... let's see... I think might wait until Christmas, but it's tempting.

If I can find a use for the remainder of the dubloons, might just go for it. Good tip thanks! 

[WGB]
Players
2,083 posts
26,347 battles
2 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Hmmm...  that works out, about 16.50 euros. Just can't buy 4550 doubloons, so I'd still need to spend 20.

It will leave me with some doubloons... let's see... I think might wait until Christmas, but it's tempting.

If I can find a use for the remainder of the dubloons, might just go for it. Good tip thanks! 

You're welcome.

There has been many times that I have wanted a ship, and sometimes realise that buying that ship could be better spent on something else, you will find that grinding the tiers, divisions with a clan buddy, or just constantly playing a T5 DD that you love, is fun and the most rewarding to your mind and not necessarily your WR, make your games fun, and not a chore.