You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FeelTheseTorps

Steel for money, steel from campaign, steel everywhere

134 comments in this topic

[PNAVY]
Players
86 posts
11,499 battles

Hello,

as the thread says. This will be a discussion about upcoming changes, steel campaign, steel buyable.

Back in the season 1 or 2 Wargaming decided they will award the best players on the server for their efforts during Clan Battles for getting the top spots in this competetive mode.

The clans ware happy and did their best to get into Typhoon league and win 30 games in the league to get the Stalingrad unique flag (1 of 3) and to do it in the next seasons as well to finally get the ship.

Recently the mentioned company introduced "steel" and Arsenal, so basically what they did was converting 2 Stalingrad flags into steel and add 10.000 steel reward for the third season for players to get the Stalingrad.

Now as we can read in the news WG presents... a campaign for steel, steel obtainable from other sources (of course we all know what does "Other source" means or actually mean$$$).

Every single of the members from the best clans from all servers from ASIA up to EU for their efforts in 3 seasons of clan battles get now this information as a "reward for best players".

Basically what it means its that now even a 30% WR potato will be available to buy himself steel for Stalingrad/ Bourgougne/ Flint/ Black without single effort in CBs, rankeds or any other sort of competetive activities, he will just simply buy them.

Where is it fair for the players that already earned the ship? What is the value WG wants to get from clan battles? What is the future of clan battles? Fighting each other only for prestige? As steel will be available anyway from every single source.

Stalingrad was introduced as a elite ship for the best players, where is it elite now if you can simply do campaign, buy yourself a bit more steel, use free coupon for the ship and have it?

I would like the best clans to take part of this discussion.

With kind regards,

[PNAVY]FeelTheseTorps

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 8
  • Angry 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,167 posts
Vor 4 Minuten, FeelTheseTorps sagte:

Basically what it means its that now even a 30% WR potato will be available to buy himself steel for Stalingrad/ Bourgougne/ Flint/ Black without single effort in CBs, rankeds or any other sort of competetive activities, he will just simply buy them. 

So how much steel does one get with this campaign? (and the other stuff, e.g. the snowflakes)

[PNAVY]
Players
86 posts
11,499 battles
Just now, Klopirat said:

So how much steel does one get with this campaign? Obviously you know it already.

Self getting steel from campaign is not fair by itself. This currency was SUPPOSE to be received ONLY for competetive modes like rankeds and clan battles. There should be NO PLACE for steel from ANY SORT of campaign!

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4

[TTT]
Players
4,570 posts
8,062 battles
9 minutes ago, FeelTheseTorps said:

that is complete nonsense, at least for what they have announced now. Neither will it be "without any effort" (you basically buy a set of missions that may well be very hard and/or grindy), nor will this be enough to get one of the "Big" ships (getting 100% of the New Years event totals up to barely enough to get a Black, according to what we've seen so far).

Please at least get your facts straight before you come complaining next time.

4 minutes ago, FeelTheseTorps said:

Self getting steel from campaign is not fair by itself. This currency was SUPPOSE to be received ONLY for competetive modes like rankeds and clan battles. There should be NO PLACE for steel from ANY SORT of campaign!

says who? Did WG actually ever say Steel would be exclusive to competitive modes? I'd be interested in that quote...

• Cool 6

[PNAVY]
Players
86 posts
11,499 battles
2 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

that is complete nonsense, at least for what they have announced now. Neither will it be "without any effort" (you basically buy a set of missions that may well be very hard and/or grindy), nor will this be enough to get one of the "Big" ships (getting 100% of the New Years event totals up to barely enough to get a Black, according to what we've seen so far).

I really hope im wrong and steel won't be obtainable in an easy way and I DO REALLY hope that steel won't be obtainable for money. But that is just hope...

[AAO]
Players
2,260 posts
11,023 battles
6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

True, but do you trust WG at this point?

If this set of missions, especially the paid ones, are succesfull, they'll probably do another one quite soon after that.

Is nothing yet known about the specifics of those missions? I'd seriously doubt they'll be hard. Grindy, perhaps, though I'd expect medium grindy at most.

[7DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,557 battles

WG decide how, when, and who can get steel, no self called elitists who are arfraid others could be the same ship as they had!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[BBMM]
Players
3,959 posts
4,375 battles

Oh goody goody, I'd actually want to get Flint. T7 cruiser, must be to my liking. 

Actually I don;t know what I;d do with those other steel ships except being mega-derp. 

But I fear I must lower my WR a bit still, currently it is waaayyyyy above 30%.

I'm sure though that I'll succeed doing just that, no problem,

grinding Monarch and Colorado and being úpgraded'to T9/T10 all the time... :Smile_trollface:

WOWS-WIkI:

Flint is a Tier VII American cruiser that is a variant of the premium Tier VII American cruiser Atlanta, and is only available by reaching Rank One in three separate seasons of Ranked Battles.

Flint is one of the rare cruisers that has access to the Smoke Generator (While active, generates a smoke screen that blocks line-of-sight for both enemies and teammates.). She - and her sister ship, Atlanta - are unique in the game in that they have unlimited charges of the Defensive AA Fire (While active, damage per second of large caliber anti-aircraft guns increased.) consumable. When coupled with her excellent anti-aircraft armament, she utterly shreds enemy planes. Flint’s torpedo armament is also improved over that of Atlanta; her torpedoes have a 9.2km range (versus Atlanta’s paltry 4.5km).

Oh good, Torpedoboat... LOL!

• Funny 1

[NED]
Players
1,826 posts
6,948 battles

Flint does seem like a ton of fun but im getting stalingrad first.

Black seems very meh so i guess i will save for Bourgogne before black.

[BBMM]
Players
3,959 posts
4,375 battles
3 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

Flint does seem like a ton of fun but im getting stalingrad first.

Black seems very meh so i guess i will save for Bourgogne before black.

I wasn't really serious... Quite obviously the Flint is just a bit better than Atlanta.

But in current meta.. having an AA cruiser... even if it has torps. Hahahaha!

I'd get it before getting anty T9/10 stuff though. Because I'm not that good, and because the gameplay there is simply argh.

And hey, maybe WG decides to plop-plop steel from Christmas containers, wouldn't surprise me. 

[SM0KE]
Players
3,308 posts
8,504 battles

This is an interesting one: on the one hand, I do think that it is a good thing that there are tangible things in the game that only people who perform heroically in CW/Ranked can get (ideally, they should be different things for each mode), whilst on the other I *really* would like Flint and/or Black (for entirely selfish reasons).

I suspect the crux of the matter will boil down to how much steel becomes available to ordinary farties, for how hard a grind, and how often: if the numbers I've seen so far are correct, it will be certainly possible for the average farty to get one of Flint/Black with the Xmas/NY mission being tested (possibly both, with coupons and waiting a few months - I haven't checked?).

Am I correct that there are exclusive camos available for these things that you can *only* get through good CW/Ranked performance? If so, that might be the way to go in future: more or less anyone can get a steel ship, but only the very best can get the pretty camo. Alternatively, *as well*, you could perhaps give the CW/Ranked meisters exclusivity on new steel ships (or new ones above a certain tier) for a year or several, before opening them up to the grubby masses?

I think there need to be some things that the best of the best only have access to, but what those things are is rather more open to debate. In WOT, there are a number of special tanks that only serious clan players can get their hands on; apart from a few whiners, most of the WOT crowd seem comfortable with that...

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
1,734 posts
4,104 battles

I'll be blunt: If you can use it in random battles, you should be able to get it by playing random battles.

• Cool 10

[K2NGS]
Players
52 posts
6,760 battles

A campaign chain similar to Yamato and Halsey would be nice to obtain steel, just my opinion.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,308 posts
8,504 battles
1 minute ago, Uglesett said:

I'll be blunt: If you can use it in random battles, you should be able to get it by playing random battles.

Whilst I would personally benefit from such a policy, I can see why WG don't follow it exactly.

Clans and Ranked (for example) presumably take quite a lot of time/money to create, and they do make the game more varied (as well as providing a sink for T10 players, so relieving T8 MM, even if only slightly), not to mention providing a bit of 'end game' content i.e. they're probably a Good Thing.

For this sort of stuff to be worthwhile though, people need to be encouraged to play them; having rewards exclusive to those modes provided that encouragement...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,289 posts
8,445 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Am I correct that there are exclusive camos available for these things that you can *only* get through good CW/Ranked performance?

Yes, Copper for reaching Ranked R1 ja Molybdenum for achieving 30 wins in Typhoon or higher. With those you can buy the special permacamos for Flint/Black/Stalingrad. Dunno if Bourgogne has such camo yet.

• Cool 2

[YAMUM]
Players
1,788 posts
20,605 battles

4 me it's kinda simple:

as i, for whatever reason, not been able to get to finish typhoon mission last cb season i abolutely appreciate other ways to obtain steel.

so, i take it.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,308 posts
8,504 battles
5 minutes ago, hogger4169 said:

A campaign chain similar to Yamato and Halsey would be nice to obtain steel, just my opinion.

Have a look at this: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/public-test/bulletin-0712/

It looks (at this stage) as if the paid-for steel thing will follow that sort of model.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,308 posts
8,504 battles
5 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

4 me it's kinda simple:

as i, for whatever reason, not been able to get to finish typhoon mission last cb season i abolutely appreciate other ways to obtain steel.

so, i take it.

Me too - I'll take whatever steel is available.

In my case though "whatever reason" was that I suck horribly, so am not good enough to get steel via the previously available means...!

I think the only discussion is high-level "is it good/bad for the game and/or 'fair' "- people will be all over the ability to get steel by other means.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,510 posts

They could have made it so simple: "make it available for coal as well". Initial steel, and then after a period has passed, a parallel price for coal, or FXP. 

But that was too easy I guess.

[YAMUM]
Players
1,788 posts
20,605 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Me too - I'll take whatever steel is available.

In my case though "whatever reason" was that I suck horribly, so am not good enough to get steel via the previously available means...!

I think the only discussion is high-level 'is it good/bad for the game and/or 'fair' - people will be all over the ability to get steel by other means.

i won't elaborate in here why i could not finish it, but i'm fine with a skill ceiling tied to it in general. in which way idrc. i don't think everyone should be able to farm it like f.e. coal or xp.

ranked not only has to be the only alternative though imo, but yeah. no offence, but a skill requirement i'm fine with.... not that i necessarily meet it anyway :Smile_glasses:

[SM0KE]
Players
3,308 posts
8,504 battles
2 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

no offence, but a skill requirement i'm fine with

None taken - in my view there is absolutely nothing wrong with having some stuff locked firmly behind a skill wall (even if I'll never get past that wall).

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
1,826 posts
6,948 battles

Personally i fully support WG making steel available by any means to regular players.

Locking content behind a clan-wall is in my opinion insulting to the people who are willing to support this game financially because when it all comes down to it its the paying customer who keeps the light on and not those who played a few seasons of clan wars.

But muh elitism !

Well im sorry if your e-peen had a few inches chopped off but i cant be bothered to care.

And then i cant help but notice i rarely see a Flint or a Black when i am playing so what argument is there really to reduce such ships to port-queens instead of letting others enjoy them as well ?

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[KURLA]
Players
821 posts
12,201 battles
15 minutes ago, WolfGewehr said:

Yes, Copper for reaching Ranked R1 ja Molybdenum for achieving 30 wins in Typhoon or higher. With those you can buy the special permacamos for Flint/Black/Stalingrad. Dunno if Bourgogne has such camo yet.

Wait for copper/molybdenum being farmable in daily missions... Just wait, it's a matter of time

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1