Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

How to use mods from a standard Windows user account?

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
1,392 posts
10,416 battles

Hi,

a couple months ago, several mods from the Aslain mod pack just stopped working. I posted in the Aslain Mod Pack thread but nobody seemed able to help.

 

Now, by chance, it turned out that they actually do still work when using the Administrator account on this Windows-7 gaming system. Or at least the mod most missed, the Badobest Side Panels v.2

 

They just don't work when using a standard (non-Admin) user account to play, which is of course what I have always done and want to continue doing.

 

That standard user, let's call him "Dave",  is not authorized to install any software, so every new Aslain mod pack is installed "as Administrator", using the right mouse button and entering the Admin password.

 

Strangely, other mods are not affected by this, like the navigator or the extended tech tree.

 

What do I need to do to get the side panels working again under the "Dave" standard account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles
34 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Hi,

a couple months ago, several mods from the Aslain mod pack just stopped working. I posted in the Aslain Mod Pack thread but nobody seemed able to help.

 

Now, by chance, it turned out that they actually do still work when using the Administrator account on this Windows-7 gaming system. Or at least the mod most missed, the Badobest Side Panels v.2

 

They just don't work when using a standard (non-Admin) user account to play, which is of course what I have always done and want to continue doing.

 

That standard user, let's call him "Dave",  is not authorized to install any software, so every new Aslain mod pack is installed "as Administrator", using the right mouse button and entering the Admin password.

 

Strangely, other mods are not affected by this, like the navigator or the extended tech tree.

 

What do I need to do to get the side panels working again under the "Dave" standard account?

Shove them into World of Warships\res_mods\0.7.11.0?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,392 posts
10,416 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, Panocek sagte:

Shove them into World of Warships\res_mods\0.7.11.0?

What are "they" and why wouldn't "they" be there when the Aslain mod pack is installed?

 

I mean that folder exists and from the look of it, the contents are the same for both accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
750 posts
2,918 battles

Why would you want to not have an admin account? 

 

Also, you should upgrade to windows 10 mate :) as windows 7 is rather outdated nowadays

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
804 posts
12,858 battles

This sounds to me like an issue with file ownership and permissions.

 

Ask yourself this: was the mod installed while using the Administrator account? If the answer is yes (which means that the mod files belong to Administrator), then it might be that only that account is allowed (has certain rwx permits) to access the mod files, hence failing the normal one to do so.

 

IIRC (not in front of a Win7 machine right now), you can adjust those permissions for the files by right clicking on them, selecting Properties, then the Security tab. There you'll see which users and groups are allowed or denied to do certain things with/to the files. Compare those allowed to Administrator to the ones allowed to the normal user account, replicate them from the former to the latter accordingly, save the changes and try them by launching the game again with the normal user. Remember, though, that those steps should be done with the Administrator account, and don't forget to take notes (pen and paper) of what you changed so you can revert it just in case.

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles
4 hours ago, thiextar said:

Why would you want to not have an admin account? 

 

Also, you should upgrade to windows 10 mate :) as windows 7 is rather outdated nowadays

Not running as admin on daily basis is very simple and effective way of hardening system. And W10 can be a mixed blessing at times, especially on mission critical devices, required to run stable without truckload of gimmicks. Imagine computer controlling air traffic on airport deciding to self update, reboot and fail to boot. Lulz incoming in wheelbarrows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
750 posts
2,918 battles
44 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Not running as admin on daily basis is very simple and effective way of hardening system. And W10 can be a mixed blessing at times, especially on mission critical devices, required to run stable without truckload of gimmicks. Imagine computer controlling air traffic on airport deciding to self update, reboot and fail to boot. Lulz incoming in wheelbarrows.

If you computer is hooked up as an air traffic controller, i would be very worried.

 

For gaming/normal use purposes, windows 10 offers better performance and support for stuff like directx 12. You just need to change a load of standard settings, uninstall some crap, and make some changes to the registry to get rid of all the stupid gimmicks :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles
Just now, thiextar said:

If you computer is hooked up as an air traffic controller, i would be very worried.

 

For gaming/normal use purposes, windows 10 offers better performance and support for stuff like directx 12. You just need to change a load of standard settings, uninstall some crap, and make some changes to the registry to get rid of all the stupid gimmicks :Smile_great:

You underestimate user habits and refusal for change. "all I need is icon for my game/software and my wallpaper, I don't care about anything else". FYI, back in the day WG did survey on WoT, 80% players haven't even bothered changing visual settings or even checking controls what goes where. Some people simply want to put as much input into computer as in TV - just press button and it makes noise. Which kinda explains console popularity:Smile_smile:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×