Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Zafkiel_Sama

Model Modelling Question

3 comments in this topic

WoWs Wiki Team
389 posts
4,192 battles

Hi there! After quite some time outside the modelling circle, busy with my studies and with learning some new skills , i am back!. 

My main question is, is there , or will there be a native way to import 3D models into the game? I am currently interested in the modification and addition of ship. My current project involves the modelling and implementation of a completely new cruiser model into the game, but i obviously don't really have much idea on how i could achieve my goal. Any idea if it will or if its currently possible? I know for a fact there was a way to at least do small scale modification of the models with a model editor with which you could edit individual ship parts for modding ( tool i used for my ARP Edinburgh mod for example ) , but i have no idea if its still a thing.

Thanks beforehand.

Zaffy.

Modder
246 posts
10,008 battles

There has been a leaked ancient version of BigWorld that you can do much things with 3ds Max 2014, but the BigWorld engine has then be bought by WG and we don't have such tool since then.

Except the "WoT Model Editor Ver29", I think the tool that you used on your Edinburg is the only tool that can actually do the job, at least I'm still using it...

If you need furthur help, you may contact G3D, they should have their own tool too, but not opened to the public.

Modder
137 posts
6,765 battles

When I tried working with the 3D models ( https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/93996-07110en-thekingofum’s-camouflages-new-victorious-camouflage/?do=findComment&comment=2445442 ), I couldn't get the WoT Editor to work. It would load primitives from the game but never display anything. There is a way to get the files into Blender, but no real way to export them back to BigWorld primitives. The only thing that did work was actually editing the unpacked primitives files with a hex editor. Now, what I did was just remove polygons. That is fairly easy, as you can just set all the vertices to zero and the polygons essentially become invisible. In order to actually create new shapes, you would have to reverse engineer the primitives format, which sounds like a really unenjoyable way of spending your free time to me. So yes, you can load 3D models into the game simply by using the res_mods folder, but creating these 3D models is where the real challenge lies.

Depending on what you want to do, you may want to check out the ModAPI ContentSDK way of modding ships, which allows some modifications that simple mods do not, such as glowing:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/140775-tutorial-how-to-use-modssdk-for-ship-skins-creation/

Sign in to follow this