You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
theta0123

Le Terrible, and how it should be buffed

22 comments in this topic

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
4,325 battles

In 0.7.11, the cossack got a nice and well deserved buff. The increase of the gun rotation and the decrease in the torpedo reload time is a very good placed buff and it has increased my performance for sure with my cossack

Being the second worst win ratio DD, i can see why this was done. But the worst of them all is Le Terrible...And now its time she recieves attention aswel

I'm not gonna discuss how WG should have handled it before it got released, I just wanna see it improved.

Its speed and main battery reload module has potential. But are useless because you cannot use smoke to deal damage. you take far to much damage, they will still hit you and you pretty much did nothing for the team, hence the lowest K/D ratio on WOWS stats. 3 times now have people asked for a smoke field but being one of the few DD's ingame, i just cant provide my team with that support

Its torpedoes also show potential but 8km is just to short. 

-Add repair party so it can restore health after a gun showoff with other ships

-Add 1km range torpedo range like on the french cruisers. This will make the torpedoes actually viable

-Add the 1943  AA refit. She recieved 10 20mm's and 8 40mm's. The current AA suite is pathetic, like all T8 DD's exept kidd

She really needs help....And she can be unique for future french DD's. 

(why did you bought it if you knew it was bad? It was an extra Bday gift from my GF...when Le Terrible was announched i showed enthousiasm. I got her the spyro trilogy as a surprise, she got me le terrible as a surprise)

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
838 posts
7,381 battles

i agree on the "le terrible", she need repair party, maybe even the aa buff, not so sure about torps.

Completely ot:

cossack is OP as F*ck, it has too much going for it

[WGB]
Players
2,083 posts
26,335 battles

After reading LWM's reveiw on Le Terrible, I never found the urge to buy the ship, maybe the ST's were sleeping when testing the final version of this ship.

• Cool 3

Players
427 posts
3,815 battles

I think that the AA refit would mean losing a bank of torpedo tubes, so I guess it would push Le Terrible more towards being gun-focused. Repair party would be nice, turning it into something of a lower tier Khaba or Tashkent.

• Cool 1

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
4,325 battles
2 minutes ago, Centurion_1711 said:

I think that the AA refit would mean losing a bank of torpedo tubes, so I guess it would push Le Terrible more towards being gun-focused. Repair party would be nice, turning it into something of a lower tier Khaba or Tashkent.

Aw crap, never mind that. Unless they give some juicy 11km torpedoes with that ^^

I think repair party is a viable option

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

Cossack needed a buff as much as an eskimo needs a refrigerator. They completely botched the ship, now it's completely broken OP just because most of the legion of wallet warriors who couldn't wait for accumulating the free guineas to get it for free don't know how to play a non-khaba gunboat, and the stats as a result weren't good.

as for Le Terrible fix/Buff: Give her the option to choose between the reload gimmick, a smoke, or a repair. Poof, ship's fixed. And, unlike Cossack, this thing DOES desperately need a buff because, tier for tier, is the most hopeless ship in the entire game..

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Players
1,016 posts
7,773 battles

Le Terrible's server stats are ... interesting. The general player base (left) fails really hard with her. In the hands of the top 5% (right), her performance is comparable to the other T8 DD's at the hands of the top 5%.

uyftxK4.png

So what we're looking at here is a high skill floor ship, above anything else. It's a kind of a separate discussion whether ships like this should be accepted. My personal thinking tends to be that any ship needs to be such that there's SOME segment of the player base that can make her work. If no-one, regardless of skill, can make the ship work, then buffs are needed.

So, unpopular opinion time -- I think Le Terrible might need a minor buff at most. And I welcome that WG has had the testicular fortitude to release a ship that's hard to play, though not necessarily bad. God knows this game has seen enough brain-dead ships recently (cf. RN BB's).

If buffs are done:

- I wouldn't give her smoke. It seems to me the whole ship is an experiment on whether a DD can exist without smoke. I'd roll with this for now.

- A minor buff to gun handling / base ROF would retain the character of the ship.

- I kind of agree with the suggestion of 9 km torps, because it'd give that pleasing harmony with T6+ French CL/CA. But I'd be careful here -- the torps are already extremely powerful (if you're opportunistic about finding targets and don't try to approach her as a dedicated torpedo boat). Buff them too much and you've suddenly created a torpedo boat which I think wasn't the intent.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
1,211 posts
7,639 battles

I suspect that giving her superb acceleration and deceleration would be the way to go, rather like the RN DDs. She needs to be a 0-60 monster, constantly changing speed to throw off enemy aim.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,661 posts
5,455 battles

Still very early days for Le Terrible - but... my first couple of  battles just went totally t@ts up and I thought.. sheesh, just what have I bought, but then I actually 'really' looked at the ship, changed how I played her and now she is starting to perform very well.

I am by no means anything other than 'above average' as a player, but that doesn't mean that I don't know how to play, just that I don't seem able to play optimally regularly enough.

TLDR - learn to play the ships strengths and not force fit it to how you want it to play :)

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
4,325 battles
7 hours ago, jss78 said:

Le Terrible's server stats are ... interesting. 

So what we're looking at here is a high skill floor ship, above anything else. It's a kind of a separate discussion whether ships like this should be accepted. My personal thinking tends to be that any ship needs to be such that there's SOME segment of the player base that can make her work. If no-one, regardless of skill, can make the ship work, then buffs are needed.

So, unpopular opinion time -- I think Le Terrible might need a minor buff at most. And I welcome that WG has had the testicular fortitude to release a ship that's hard to play, though not necessarily bad. God knows this game has seen enough brain-dead ships recently (cf. RN BB's).

If buffs are done:

- I wouldn't give her smoke. It seems to me the whole ship is an experiment on whether a DD can exist without smoke. I'd roll with this for now.

- A minor buff to gun handling / base ROF would retain the character of the ship.

- I kind of agree with the suggestion of 9 km torps, because it'd give that pleasing harmony with T6+ French CL/CA. But I'd be careful here -- the torps are already extremely powerful (if you're opportunistic about finding targets and don't try to approach her as a dedicated torpedo boat). Buff them too much and you've suddenly created a torpedo boat which I think wasn't the intent.

Wow. This has been quite the eye opener.

I rather not have smoke aswel. Wich is why that i tought about repair party for the entire line of French Contre-pilleurs.

The reload speed of the Torpedoes is pretty low, at 77 seconds. I rather keep the high damage, add 1km in line with the cruisers but perhaps raise the reload speed? 

I am satisfied with the Gun velocity. Gun traverse is not so great tough.

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,209 posts
1,477 battles
On 11/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, jss78 said:

Le Terrible's server stats are ... interesting. The general player base (left) fails really hard with her. In the hands of the top 5% (right), her performance is comparable to the other T8 DD's at the hands of the top 5%.

uyftxK4.png

If buffs are done:

Logic would be though that if you balance a ship to be very hard to play it should be more rewarding, which it's not, it's still bang average for your top 5% of players and other more forgiving ships still generally are more powerful.

Which looks like pretty poor balance all round to me, crap and pointless for average players, offers nothing special for good players. 

IMO if it's supposed to be an open water gun boat with no smoke and is a very large but fast target then it should share some characteristics with the Khabba, that to me would be a heal and maybe better ballistics so it can hit stuff at 10km 

Beta Tester
206 posts
4,942 battles

I think a single repair charge would be the best way forward with the amount it heals adjusted so as not to make it overperform. The repair fits in with the style of gameplay they seem to want Terrible to emulate far more than a smoke would do.

As for ballistics and that, WG doesn't seem to like changing them too much on non paper ships so I think I'll just have to bare with them, i'd be cautious of overbuffing combined with the heal as well. She's a fun ship and I enjoy playing with her but at the moment she's simply very mediocre albiet a total blast to play.

Players
427 posts
3,815 battles
19 hours ago, theta0123 said:

I am satisfied with the Gun velocity. Gun traverse is not so great tough.

I think that Flamu said that the velocity was rather floaty, but I take that with a pinch of salt. He seems to think that any gun that hasn't got USSR velocity is floaty, which shouldn't be the case: USSR guns are the exception, most naval guns in WoWs have velocities of around 820m/s, not the stupidly high 900m/s plus of the Russians. I haven't used Le Terrible's guns, but the velocity figure looks fine, and i can't imagine the shells are as draggy as IJN or US DD shells.

[CAIN]
Players
2,742 posts
11,013 battles

Am i the only one who likes Le Terrible?

The only buff i'd give her is a bit of turret traverse. 

Players
156 posts
7,558 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jethro_Grey said:

Le Terrible is the most fun I've had with a new ship in quite a while. It's very unique, very challenging, but can be very efficient and rewarding if you get it right. 

Paradoxically,  the many ways how Le Terrible seemingly sucks are exactly what makes it fun for me:

• Gun DPS sucks except when you hit the booster. Time its use well and it can really pay off.
  • Turret traverse and firing angles suck, so better be aware to which direction you likely want to shoot next.
  • You can't dump all torps to one side -- not sure with how many T8 destroyers you need to deal with this, but I don't have others.
  • No smoke, so better have a different plan B.
  • You'd really want a 30-point skipper in it, so some tough choices to be made there.

I would agree with buffing the guns slightly, in some way. Could be lowering the general reload just a bit, or maybe making the reload boost last 5 to 10 seconds longer. It wouldn't change the general nature of the ship.

Possibly hydro? It would give you some additional survivability when charging the enemy DD's.

[POI--]
[POI--]
Players
281 posts
7,657 battles
On 11/25/2018 at 7:46 AM, theta0123 said:

In 0.7.11, the cossack got a nice and well deserved buff.

While I agree that the Terrible is under performing; This line here tells me you don't quite get DD balancing.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, Jethro_Grey said:

I've only had time for a few matches recently but that ridiculous speed is quite the meme

6 minutes ago, asalonen said:

Le Terrible is the most fun I've had with a new ship in quite a while. It's very unique, very challenging, but can be very efficient and rewarding if you get it right. 

Paradoxically,  the many ways how Le Terrible seemingly sucks are exactly what makes it fun for me:

• Gun DPS sucks except when you hit the booster. Time its use well and it can really pay off.
  • Turret traverse and firing angles suck, so better be aware to which direction you likely want to shoot next.
  • You can't dump all torps to one side -- not sure with how many T8 destroyers you need to deal with this, but I don't have others.
  • No smoke, so better have a different plan B.
  • You'd really want a 30-point skipper in it, so some tough choices to be made there.

I would agree with buffing the guns slightly. Either lowering the general reload just a bit, or maybe making the reload boost last 5 to 10 seconds longer. It wouldn't change the general nature of the ship.

I'm finding it even more fun with the indirect buff It got from the battleship AP nerf, you are a decent bit more survivable than beforehand when your size doesn't make Montana 1 shots an option anymore. I think your suggestions for the reload booster may not be a good idea, the issue i find with the ship is that it can only really dps destroyers, so buffing the reload booster is kind of over doing that aspect, whereas improving the reload a bit is a better option as it addresses the issue the ship has, in that it can only really safely fight dds (and delete them).

[JRM]
Players
1,305 posts
14,648 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 6:41 PM, Jethro_Grey said:

No you re not m8 i love my baddie to bits, if I would need to choose a single thing to buff on it i would say a slight buff in concealment so  not to have to sail for several km spotted in order to spot the opposing dd and nuke it while half of his team is taking potshots at you, would make capping way easyer as well, aldough i seem to cap fairly alot in le terrible, even more so then in some much stealthyer dds