Sign in to follow this  
Lexmechanic

All the things wrong with the Black Ships

21 comments in this topic

[WTFNO]
Players
104 posts

First of all, I really hope WG learns from the feedback to the doubloon missions. They were absolutely the right thing to do but the way they were communicated AND the fact that they were visible to people who only had the Black Ships turned a great, player-facing move into a crap show. But that's old news.

What I really don't understand is why they needed to be separate ships. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

1. WG stated that the number of ships owned impacts the client performance, especially in port.

2. The port overhaul, as per WG, would be a titanic undertaking and while it's on the radar, it's not a priority.

So why contribute to it by releasing identical ships which could easily be premium camouflages? Hell, just sell the original ships again, with the premium black camo only available in bundles, like the Kobayashi camos.

I would really love to know why such a weird design/release decision was made.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
3 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

I would really love to know why such a weird design/release decision was made.

Worked for WoT - you could sell the same exact tank to someone who already owned it!

Why wouldn't the same apply here?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,087 battles
Vor 13 Stunden, ScoutMkoll sagte:

So why contribute to it by releasing identical ships which could easily be premium camouflages? Hell, just sell the original ships again, with the premium black camo only available in bundles, like the Kobayashi camos.

They did exactly that with the Stars 'n Stripes Texas.

It must have been a terrible business decision.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,589 posts

The cost/benefit ratio is favourable enough. The black skins only take few hours to put together, I imagine, and the result is at least a few hundred players buying them. That's over €4000 for like a day's worth of work hours.

WG won't give a hoot about the poor performance in port unless statistics indicate people stopping playing due to technical difficulties, but things will have to get REAL bad for that to happen. Low framerates and instability actually do very little to deter most players. Some of the most popular trends in the 2010s (eg. DayZ and PUBG) have been among the most godawful displays of technical incompetence.

[WTFNO]
Players
104 posts

That's a good point about Texas. But overall? I'm not saying charge less for just the black skins. They're effin' cool, make them premium and expensive. They've given away so many black ships in containers, they could have given them away as normal ships + black skin AND sell just the black permacamo, I'm sure they would have sold even more total.

[BHW]
Players
940 posts
2,575 battles

what doubloon missions ? I noticed the black ships when I first encountered an Asashio B in the team list and was wondering wth that is ....

[WTFNO]
Players
412 posts
7,190 battles

With each black ship you get a set of 10 missions with 250 doubloons each, which require playing with the NON-BLACK version of the ship.

I would have bought the permacamo, but rebuying the same ship ? No thanks.

Players
18 posts
6,211 battles

I was very lucky to get the MASS in a Black Friday container.

I took me a couple battles to realise that the Doubloon mission was only for the none-black version I don't own. I thought it was really weird I would even have that mission since it was impossible for me to complete it.

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
104 posts

Exactly. Wargaming's idea was that since for some reason (I would still love to know why. @MrConway?) they decided to make the Blacks separate ships, they would offer something nice to people who already owned the regular version of that ship. The idea being, if I own an Atago and win an Atago B, at least I get the doubloons to feel like I gained something. Not a bad idea.

Two problems caused a lot of confusion and uproar:

1. Initially it wasn't communicated perfectly that the missions would require playing with the non-Black ship of that type.

2. The missions showed up even for people who only owned the Blacks.

There are reasons for 2. (for example you could still grind/unlock the regular if you were close).

So in the end it all comes down tho this: why aren't the Black Ships just a permacamo with regular ships winnable in containers? All economic (business) goals seem achievable just as well.

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
104 posts
5 hours ago, Pegasus2022 said:

Who on Earth has the disposable income to waste on a black ship?

Define waste? Technically no game is necessary for survival.

• Cool 1

[BHW]
Players
940 posts
2,575 battles
23 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

Exactly. Wargaming's idea was that since for some reason (I would still love to know why. @MrConway?) they decided to make the Blacks separate ships, they would offer something nice to people who already owned the regular version of that ship. The idea being, if I own an Atago and win an Atago B, at least I get the doubloons to feel like I gained something. Not a bad idea.

Two problems caused a lot of confusion and uproar:

1. Initially it wasn't communicated perfectly that the missions would require playing with the non-Black ship of that type.

2. The missions showed up even for people who only owned the Blacks.

There are reasons for 2. (for example you could still grind/unlock the regular if you were close).

So in the end it all comes down tho this: why aren't the Black Ships just a permacamo with regular ships winnable in containers? All economic (business) goals seem achievable just as well.

Oh, that's typical WG ... I get the CB missions even thou my clan has insufficient members to play CBs ... so that is nothing new ...

WG should have gone the non-B ship + black camo route and if you already have the non-B ship give you doubloons. THat would be the logical path .... WG never takes the logical path ....

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
22 posts
9,034 battles

The Tirpitz B that I got from the Black Friday crates does not seem to be able to take part in the personal mission for the Dubloons. It's a Tirpitz and i have to play 1 game in the Tirpitz and I have the Tirpitz B and it doesn't work. I played the battle and got nothing.

[CATS]
Players
19,534 posts
12,253 battles
2 hours ago, Shanchat said:

The Tirpitz B that I got from the Black Friday crates does not seem to be able to take part in the personal mission for the Dubloons. It's a Tirpitz and i have to play 1 game in the Tirpitz and I have the Tirpitz B and it doesn't work. I played the battle and got nothing.

Read thread?

• Funny 2

[SWN]
Players
16 posts
5,852 battles

If Wargaming actually gave a crap about how optimized their game is they would have to remake the entire game. 

The optimization and programming of this game is utter garbage.

I mean no matter what GPU you use it's gonna [edited]load that sucker to 100% in port no matter what. The campaign screen is even worse, they manage to use 100% GPU to display a JPG with a binocular.

I wonder if I can send wargaming my electricity bill for all the hours of shameless GPU stress testing they do....

Beta Tester
22 posts
9,034 battles
On 12/5/2018 at 8:13 PM, ColonelPete said:

Read thread?

I did...but not all the way. it was stupid as mission appeared. If you aren't able to play the mission then why even have it appear?

The only difference in the ships is a black cammo. Piss poor to be honest.

[DREAD]
Players
7,752 posts
5,859 battles
On 11/25/2018 at 12:14 AM, ColonelPete said:

More money?

Questionable. I own most of these ships and would have bought - say - two black camos. 

But a duplicate ship? Naaaah... that is a bit too much to ask for. 

(My guess: WG farms all the “new” buyers now and puts the camos on sale for the normal ships later. Best of both worlds)

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
19,534 posts
12,253 battles

They are in the business for quite some time. I am pretty sure they know what earns them the most money.

Such decisions are not made on a whim.

Sign in to follow this