RadioFighterYR

USS New York, really?

30 comments in this topic

Players
26 posts
580 battles

Hello! What to do with this utter piece of junk? I bought it, played one battle with it - guns can't hit consistently at 10-12km, the third turret is mostly useless due to its ridiculously small firing angle(and in my case it was knocked out almost immediately), the ship is slow as balls (like all US battleships, but ~2 min. to accelerate or decelerate to 18 knots?) , once committed to a flank it cannot change directions at all, and its ''small'' turning circle is worthless when it turns so slowly, which means torpedobeats are quite a challenging thing to do. I see that with the upgrades, the ship isn't going to be too much better. Can you tell me whether this ship is good when upgraded, or it is just as crap? I'd like to know the same about the T6 and 7 too.

Thanks!

• Boring 1

[UNICS]
Players
66 posts
18,374 battles

In my opinion New Mex/Colorado is a slow but awesome ship. It turns on a dime. You cant do borderhumping or take the long route with those -- choose your aproach to the battle wise. they have good armor  but shotgun like dispersion.

[CATS]
Players
19,433 posts
12,211 battles
On 11/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, RadioFighterYR said:

Hello! What to do with this utter piece of junk? I bought it, played one battle with it - guns can't hit consistently at 10-12km, the third turret is mostly useless due to its ridiculously small firing angle(and in my case it was knocked out almost immediately), the ship is slow as balls (like all US battleships, but ~2 min. to accelerate or decelerate to 18 knots?) , once committed to a flank it cannot change directions at all, and its ''small'' turning circle is worthless when it turns so slowly, which means torpedobeats are quite a challenging thing to do. I see that with the upgrades, the ship isn't going to be too much better. Can you tell me whether this ship is good when upgraded, or it is just as crap? I'd like to know the same about the T6 and 7 too.

Thanks!

That salty after one battle?

If you are THAT easily frustrated, I suggest to quit the game. It is too hardcore for you.

And do not try anything else that needs a little bit of effort.

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles

New York indeed is a ship that has been powercreeped hard. Get engine upgrade asap, because you need it. Get used to 21 knots, because that won't get better. New York at least now got a decent reload, instead of the old which was a joke. Imo, play the ship as support for a friendly, so you can use your guns, which are the hardest hitting... when they hit. Learn to endure, 21 knots is a staple till T7. T6 New Mexico is barely better. It will no longer get overmatched by everyone, only by most and I didn't like it much too. Colorado is pretty nice though, because you finally get 16 inch guns that can hurt angled battleships and make them regret looking down on you. When you reach NC though, I guess that's the promised land after all of this, with Iowa and Montana following. That's why you put up with New York.

Meanwhile Texas... doesn't even have anything to move on to.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
49 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

What to do with this utter piece of junk?

Be happy that it's just a t5 so the grind won't be particularly long.

Then clench your teeth and grind through it as everything after that one becomes better. Feel free to throw in camos, signals and prem acc to make it even quicker

53 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

guns can't hit consistently at 10-12km

That's just any BB at all. If you want more consistency and the ability to actually hit something reliably - go play cruisers or DDs

54 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

the third turret is mostly useless due to its ridiculously small firing angle

Lots of ships suffer from firing angle issues. You just have to work around that

55 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

the ship is slow as balls

Like every single dreadnought - which would be nearly all t7 and below BBs

56 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

its ''small'' turning circle is worthless when it turns so slowly

From what I remember NY is one of the best-turning-BBs in the game. One of the very few actually good things about it.

57 minutes ago, RadioFighterYR said:

Can you tell me whether this ship is good when upgraded, or it is just as crap?

Better for sure, but still the worst of t5 BBs

20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Meanwhile Texas

Is such an AA monster than even the worst of CVs at t5 still seem to avoid her like a plague :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Is such an AA monster than even the worst of CVs at t5 still seem to avoid her like a plague :Smile_veryhappy:

Yeah, but...

• When no CV is around, you are the worst T5 BB except Bretagne.
  • Autodropping CVs can be dodged in most BBs, Manual dropping BBs could drop Texas from outside her AA range.
  • Speccing a König for AA is likely paying off more, because the AA is respectable, not as easily nuked by the next Brit BB or every cruiser that spams HE and apart from that you still got a better BB in the BB role. Heck, even as air area denial ship, you likely are better off, because you can move around more and are more resilient.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

When no CV is around, you are the worst T5 BB except Bretagne.

Oh Bretagne is far far better than the NY / Texas. She's the closest to them, yeah, but at least that ship works.

As for no CVs... can always be fixed with a division :Smile_trollface:

3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Autodropping CVs can be dodged in most BBs, Manual dropping BBs could drop Texas from outside her AA range.

All t4 & 5 CVs autodrop.

As for a case with t6 / t7 CVs... Oerlikons do 2.9km, Bofors go out to 5. Still capable. Also with her quick and tight turns it's not like lining up the drop in the 1st place will be easy

7 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Speccing a König for AA is likely paying off more, because the AA is respectable, not as easily nuked by the next Brit BB or every cruiser that spams HE and apart from that you still got a better BB in the BB role. Heck, even as air area denial ship, you likely are better off, because you can move around more and are more resilient.

That I can not argue against :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Oh Bretagne is far far better than the NY / Texas. She's the closest to them, yeah, but at least that ship works.

Bretagne vs New York/Texas... it has less hp (it has T4 grade HP), about as bad armour, has the same amount but smaller guns (and since the buff to NY, you got not even much better reload to boast), the secondaries are better, but they aren't good for T5 and T5 secondaries in general are a questionable thing (and believe me, I ran secondary Iron Duke), the speed is exactly the same, the AA is... overhyped, imo. No, I don't see how this thing works and NY doesn't. NY got buffed repair party now, but even before that, I valued NY more than Bretagne.

8 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

As for no CVs... can always be fixed with a division :Smile_trollface:

I don't like running a div just so my personal suffering has a purpose. And potentially paying money so I can do that. If I want to run cancer divs with AA BB, Gneisenau is free (and can be matched with Saipan or Kaga). Kii costs, but is at least just a slightly worse version of an excellent BB in all other aspects (to be matched with Enterprise, Shoukaku or GZ to piss people off). 

7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

All t4 & 5 CVs autodrop.

As for a case with t6 / t7 CVs... Oerlikons do 2.9km, Bofors go out to 5. Still capable. Also with her quick and tight turns it's not like lining up the drop in the 1st place will be easy

The main issue imo is, T4/5 can be dodged by everyone. T6/7 your AA could work against dumb CVs, but given what you are up against, your AA may not survive and in general it'll be suffering.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
27 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

NY got buffed repair party now

Not yet, right?

The Colorados heal on all t3 - t9 US BBs is a proposed change, but it's not implemented. At least not as far as I know. And it's not in any patch notes :cap_hmm:

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Not yet, right?

The Colorados heal on all t3 - t9 US BBs is a proposed change, but it's not implemented. At least not as far as I know. And it's not in any patch notes :cap_hmm:

Even without, NY is a better ship, imo. But it isn't much of a saving grace to be second worst.

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles
5 hours ago, RadioFighterYR said:

Thanks!

I liked the ship, quite study if you how to angle her. She's also agile (small turning circle), but slow, so one needs to plan in advance and possess map awareness. So she's not Noob friendly, if you overextend yourself you will be punished.

The guns are good, though not ru or ijn guns, but they hit like a truck and I've scored more than a couple citadels by plunging fire with uss New York.

New Mexico and Colorado is slow like New York, but each gave their differences. Mexico is very nasty if she catches you, regardless of angle her shells really hit hard. She is also very tough even compared to German ships. Colorado has longest range and largest guns of the ships and even have an improved healing.

I like New York so much I use her on my portrait 😊

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,309 battles

New mex is a beast. I loved that ship. Awesome torp belt. Crazy accurate guns. Colo i never enjoyed much but North Carolina was worth all the pain. No matter how hard it gets carolina is worth it.

Players
97 posts
702 battles

To OP

you are making the same mistake as I've done: judging a boat under its first sail, and the US BBs suck major donkey nuts unless fully upgraded

Not that slapping torps, smokes, turtleshells and heals on anything BUT the US BB line improved matters, but that's the basic problem when taking out a fresh US battleship

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
On 11/24/2018 at 9:54 PM, Hyperion84 said:

I liked the ship, quite study if you how to angle her.

The worst fault of the New York is not that this ship is 21 knots fast, but that you cannot effectively angle against people who have an idea of how armour works and ever looked at the armour profile of this thing. Ship is as far from "sturdy" as you could get in a T5 BB. Unless you broadside in your OR.

New Mexico and Colorado is slow like New York, but each gave their differences. Mexico is very nasty if she catches you, regardless of angle her shells really hit hard.

That'd be Colorado, because New Mex doesn't overmatch anything. At times this ship is even better off loading the HE, if it has to deal with things like angled Scharnhorst/Gneisenau, which you just cannot afford to leave alive to come into close range of your ship (though it's hard to prevent it against a good player).

She is also very tough even compared to German ships.

Bayern outclasses this thing in survivability so hard. Turtleback, proper deck plating, 30 mm lower bow... 

Colorado has longest range and largest guns of the ships and even have an improved healing.

Of USN BBs? Yeah. But compared to rest at T7. Yeah, no. Thankfully it doesn't need the range as much. With ARP 1 and occasional spotter plane, it's playable, but still it's just passable range, not good range. Even Gneisenau has more range, although it has little need for it.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:48 PM, CPL_Sivi said:

New mex is a beast. I loved that ship. Awesome torp belt. Crazy accurate guns. Colo i never enjoyed much but North Carolina was worth all the pain. No matter how hard it gets carolina is worth it.

Bog standard base dispersion and 1.5 sigma is not crazy accurate. Neither on paper nor in practice. If NM hits things more often then only because it has more shells. Otherwise, there is no really outstanding accuracy inbetween SC and Colo. New Mexico can't even win an accuracy contest against Fuso convincingly, all this ship outshines in terms of gunpower is the Dunkerque. And only because Dunkerque was given only 8 guns with 1.7 sigma and lulzy high shell velocity. Maybe PEF. The only thing on New Mexico I would ever call good (apart from torp belt) are the concealment and the gun angles. Other than that, New Mexico is only an upgrade over New York due to getting 25 mm everywhere, not 19 mm extremities and deck. Still hurts as all hell against T6.

5 hours ago, Nightdare said:

you are making the same mistake as I've done: judging a boat under its first sail, and the US BBs suck major donkey nuts unless fully upgraded

New York and New Mexico frankly suck even fully upgraded. New York certainly does. Wyoming only passes because of gun count at T4, Colorado only because it hits hard.

[RUFL]
Players
204 posts
4,103 battles

On New York and New Mexico I found the slow speed workeable. It forces you (just because you have nothing better to do until you arrive at the front ^^) to watch what's going on around you and prevents you from overextending in the beginning of the match. At the same time the lower range does not lead to pointless snipefests (like firing at 19km with Myogi), so New York really teaches some good lessons. Now going at 21 knots in Colorado in a T9 match, that's another story :Smile_veryhappy:

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,309 battles

So citing fuso beyond range multiple times is a testimony of a shotgun? By beyond range i mean using spotter plane to reach it. Oneshoted both bergs at max range scoring 2 cits was a regular thing. Omaha too. Japs were harder to hit tho. Nurn and koni do have weak armor but still u need to hit them that far. I respect the mathematics and numbers but my exp with nm is that its an accurate beast. I have same exp with gk yet everyone thinks its a shotgun... Guess rng is with me. 

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
14 hours ago, Jagod said:

On New York and New Mexico I found the slow speed workeable. It forces you (just because you have nothing better to do until you arrive at the front ^^) to watch what's going on around you and prevents you from overextending in the beginning of the match. At the same time the lower range does not lead to pointless snipefests (like firing at 19km with Myogi), so New York really teaches some good lessons. Now going at 21 knots in Colorado in a T9 match, that's another story :Smile_veryhappy:

If you played every other T5 BB, NY teaches nothing new, except pain. Get this thing into T7 matches and prepare for some terrible time.

Myogi also can actually hit things at 19 km. Or you know, even at 16 km, which Wyoming cannot reach. 2.0 sigma is no joke if you know how to aim.

4 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

So citing fuso beyond range multiple times is a testimony of a shotgun? By beyond range i mean using spotter plane to reach it. Oneshoted both bergs at max range scoring 2 cits was a regular thing. Omaha too. Japs were harder to hit tho. Nurn and koni do have weak armor but still u need to hit them that far. I respect the mathematics and numbers but my exp with nm is that its an accurate beast. I have same exp with gk yet everyone thinks its a shotgun... Guess rng is with me. 

If you have 12 guns, yes, some will likely hit. Oneshotting cruisers that are easier to citadel than overpen also is hardly an achievement. Point is, the New Mexico only has a lot of guns, not accurate guns. Also, your own stats show, New Mexico is one of your mid-tier BBs with lowest hit rate.

Also, Großer Kurfürst only has accurate guns if you never played another T10 BB.

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,309 battles

RRealy? I believe you. It was realy realy long time ago. And i used it at max range alot since i was confident i can make the hit. And a lot of times i did, atleast i think so. Competiton was only the fuso at that time. It was THAT long ago. As i said i will not argue with numbers but i pulled some incredible shots with new mex. Nurn at the other side of map, citing a head on koni goin for a torp run, oneshoting a full hp ru dd while trying to yolo me... not an easy shots either and i was worse noob than i am now. Have realy good memories with new mex. They even used to call me a cheater cause of it. Aimbot or whatever.... And i run vanila client. Dont even have any sort of mod like most ppl do. 

Gk wise, i will get monty just to compare the guns. U owe me 20 mil silver since i never intended to get it. I finished noca grind a year ago and never went further since i think that ship is pinacle of usn bb line. But i must admit that i sit in gk when i get tired of massacre with gneisenau. I guess thats why it feels damn amazing.

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
2 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

RRealy? I believe you. It was realy realy long time ago. And i used it at max range alot since i was confident i can make the hit. And a lot of times i did, atleast i think so. Competiton was only the fuso at that time. It was THAT long ago. As i said i will not argue with numbers but i pulled some incredible shots with new mex. Nurn at the other side of map, citing a head on koni goin for a torp run, oneshoting a full hp ru dd while trying to yolo me... not an easy shots either and i was worse noob than i am now. Have realy good memories with new mex. They even used to call me a cheater cause of it. Aimbot or whatever.... And i run vanila client. Dont even have any sort of mod like most ppl do. 

Gk wise, i will get monty just to compare the guns. U owe me 20 mil silver since i never intended to get it. I finished noca grind a year ago and never went further since i think that ship is pinacle of usn bb line. But i must admit that i sit in gk when i get tired of massacre with gneisenau. I guess thats why it feels damn amazing.

I own GK and Yamato. GK is only okish in that it reloads fast for firing 12 large caliber shells. Yamato meanwhile reliably demolishes things. Even 26 km out, if things move predictably, Yamato can be a threat (though sniping shouldn't be how you approach the ship). I thus also like my Yamato way more than GK.

And in terms of USN mid-tiers, it isn't impossible to do well in the ships. They are mid-tier BBs. They still screw over mid-tier cruisers. And anyone dumb enough to hand you the win. Heck, I had an NC once that rushed me, brawled me and lost against my Colorado, because it just let my 21 knot ship have its broadside and quad citadel it back to port. Doesn't mean that against a skilled player this was anywhere near good odds.

But with these ships, most other nations can get more done if the player is equally skilled. 

[RUFL]
Players
204 posts
4,103 battles
9 hours ago, Riselotte said:

If you played every other T5 BB, NY teaches nothing new, except pain. Get this thing into T7 matches and prepare for some terrible time.

Myogi also can actually hit things at 19 km. Or you know, even at 16 km, which Wyoming cannot reach. 2.0 sigma is no joke if you know how to aim.

True, but if you have played every other T5 BB you should not need anymore lessons ;-)

On a more serious note I did play the NY and NM before the MM changes, so my view may be a little tinted.

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
5 hours ago, Jagod said:

True, but if you have played every other T5 BB you should not need anymore lessons ;-)

On a more serious note I did play the NY and NM before the MM changes, so my view may be a little tinted.

No, but then I would want the ship to at least not be more crap than every other T5 BB. I also didn't need lessons for Iron Duke or OR.

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, Riselotte said:

The worst fault of the New York is not that this ship is 21 knots fast, but that you cannot effectively angle against people who have an idea of how armour works and ever looked at the armour profile of this thing. Ship is as far from "sturdy" as you could get in a T5 BB. Unless you broadside in your OR.

That'd be Colorado, because New Mex doesn't overmatch anything. At times this ship is even better off loading the HE, if it has to deal with things like angled Scharnhorst/Gneisenau, which you just cannot afford to leave alive to come into close range of your ship (though it's hard to prevent it against a good player).

Bayern outclasses this thing in survivability so hard. Turtleback, proper deck plating, 30 mm lower bow... 

Of USN BBs? Yeah. But compared to rest at T7. Yeah, no. Thankfully it doesn't need the range as much. With ARP 1 and occasional spotter plane, it's playable, but still it's just passable range, not good range. Even Gneisenau has more range, although it has little need for it.

Bog standard base dispersion and 1.5 sigma is not crazy accurate. Neither on paper nor in practice. If NM hits things more often then only because it has more shells. Otherwise, there is no really outstanding accuracy inbetween SC and Colo. New Mexico can't even win an accuracy contest against Fuso convincingly, all this ship outshines in terms of gunpower is the Dunkerque. And only because Dunkerque was given only 8 guns with 1.7 sigma and lulzy high shell velocity. Maybe PEF. The only thing on New Mexico I would ever call good (apart from torp belt) are the concealment and the gun angles. Other than that, New Mexico is only an upgrade over New York due to getting 25 mm everywhere, not 19 mm extremities and deck. Still hurts as all hell against T6.

New York and New Mexico frankly suck even fully upgraded. New York certainly does. Wyoming only passes because of gun count at T4, Colorado only because it hits hard.

And still I got both mex and new York to work just fine and really didn't suffer much annoyance compared to Kongo who took me a while to figure out. Still between the two I would pick new York most days depending on comp ofc 😊

I mean new York bounce even nagato shots, while the other way around most often didn't go as smooth. It is true it hard to compare new York to the German bb they are just outstanding at taking punishment and give some back.

Even if you know where to shoot at, rng can still make it very hard to do so.

Let's agree to disagree 

Players
5,712 posts
7,061 battles
13 minutes ago, Hyperion84 said:

And still I got both mex and new York to work just fine and really didn't suffer much annoyance compared to Kongo who took me a while to figure out. Still between the two I would pick new York most days depending on comp ofc 😊

I mean new York bounce even nagato shots, while the other way around most often didn't go as smooth. It is true it hard to compare new York to the German bb they are just outstanding at taking punishment and give some back.

Even if you know where to shoot at, rng can still make it very hard to do so.

Let's agree to disagree 

Yeah, New York is easier to play than Kongo. For Kongo, you actually have to know about how to make the most out of speed, range, angling, hp pool. With New York, many of the options Kongo has don't even exist. You don't even need to regulate speed much. 95% of the time full speed is the best setting anyway. That doesn't make New York anywhere as good though. Just means it requires less brain.

New York cannot bounce shots from Nagato more than any other T5 BB. It bounces them on the very belt if angled. Every other T5 BB manages the same. Few other T5 BBs have that crap of a belt though (tech tier wise anyway) and no other T5 Bb except Texas and Bretagne have 19 mm armour at the barbette and all over its deck, making it easy as hell even for T5 BBs to murder it.

And yeah, RNG can screw with things. But if I have to trust in blind luck to keep me alive, not skill and raw performance parameters of the ship, that's just crap.

[BGNAV]
Players
182 posts
6,499 battles

NY has somewhat been affected by the powercreep, but the main problem is it's tier. T5 ships play mostly bottom tier, which can be a challenge.

Now about OP's complaints:

1. The ship is slow, yes. Turning circle however is good and torpedo belt is decent.

2. Guns are inaccurate and turrets take ages to turn - typical for the tier.

3. One useless turret - again not really surprising given the tier. At mid to long range you can weave around with your ship and fire all your guns easily.

You can slot range upgrade on it, though to be effective you need to be closer. As for your question for the next two tiers - yes, they are slow AF too.

NM is great due to very good concealment, workable AA and the total amount of guns. Also feels a lot more accurate (though it doesn't break any records).

Colorado... nobody talks about it :etc_swear: If it's top tier, you will mostly do over-penetrations due to the high gun caliber. Mid and bottom tier - you are food. Accuracy reminds me of Wyoming :Smile-angry: One needs to endure it to get to the really good USN ships.

NC, Iowa and Montana are very, very strong but have a very different gameplay style compared to their predecessors. They are really accurate, fast and not so maneuverable (Iowa and Montana). Belt armor is weaker tier per tier compared to the slow battleships, but if you angle it's still good. Also they have great firing angles and AA.