Jump to content

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
3 posts
121 battles

Hello, everyone. First post here.

 

I am currently installing WoWS. Though I've tried it before and kinda liked it, I never got the hang of it and dropped it.

 

The toxicity and general poor game balance/design plaguing WoT are kinda depressive and after checking out WoWS stats, I must say it looks a much better environment.

 

With that said, being the target the Yamato, I'd like to know what insight you have for someone who will venture themselves in Battleships.

 

>I have prem acc but that's as far is the initial investment goes.

>No intention of rushing through Tiers, got burned really bad on WoT because of that.

>Am reading the Wiki at the moment. Total newb, still.

 

 

 

Umm... In WoT you say "Roll Out!", whatever Ship counterpart that is, insert here. :)

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles
3 hours ago, WindSplitter1 said:

I'd like to know what insight you have for someone who will venture themselves in Battleships.

Play things other than BBs - if you only play BBs, you're more likely to get surprised by some of the nasty things the other classes can do to you, not to mention maybe having less realistic expectations of your allies.

BBs are the most popular class for a number of reasons, but you'll end up a better player if you spend at least some time in cruisers and DDs.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,322 battles

I'd also suggest joining a clan (preferably one that has members happy to teach newcomers); quite apart from anything else, being in a clan gives you a number of bonuses, not least increased coal income.

 

Also: welcome!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
3,412 posts
4,583 battles

As Verblonde said, play other classes. As a weeb, shouldn't be too hard to play the other IJN ships too. More than just learning what others can do, it also helps learning what others cannot do, thus overall giving you in time a better understanding of what you can and cannot afford to do. Especially for a Yamato, which is the T10 BB that punishes mistakes the most, it is good to have a decent grasp on the game and be aware of what you can get away with and what will get you killed fast.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3 posts
8,355 battles

The atmosphere is a lot better in WoWs than WoT, this is true. And, on the whole, WG have a much better game in WoWs. After playing over 25k battles in WoT, I say as much. 

 

And yes, We don't say ''Roll Out'' here. We're the real men, so we say Action Stations! =p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
  • Read the pinned topics in this newcomers' forum section. Some information is a bit dated, but the basics still remain true.
  • Play every ship class to some degree (you can skimp on playing CVs as they're being reworked right now, plus the basics on how to migitate CV strikes are pretty straightforward) so you get a feel of each class' gameplay quirks. Even if you want to stick to one particular class for now, knowing your opposition is a massive help. I recommend the IJN cruisers, IJN DDs and US DDs as they cover a solid scpectrum of typical gameplay you might encounter (IJN cruisers give a solid feel on how heavy cruisers play, IJN DDs teach you to expect unseen torpedoes, US DDs teach you to stay vigilant for ambushes and how to handle angry smokescreens).
  • Watch some Youtube guides/commentaries like say iChaseGaming's Captain's Academy or Flamu's gameplay commentaries. They offer excellent insight into game mechanics and how to make the most out of specific classes in a variety of situations. The information is also a bit less tedious to acquire than reading through the wiki.
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,961 posts
13,451 battles

First of all

075.jpg

 

Generally speaking yeah, what the others have said. Or in the words of Sun Tzu:

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

 

Also get some friends or join an active clan asap. The ability of the average player is abysmal, so solo experiences can be extremely.... lets say tedious unless you relish in such challenges.

The game is a lot more fun when playing with others anyway.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR-S]
Players
335 posts
17,932 battles
7 hours ago, WindSplitter1 said:

No intention of rushing through Tiers

+1 for this one. Take your time, make mistakes and don´t hesitate to ask here when you don´t understand why this or that just happened (blap, bounce, no-dmg-pen...).

 

See you on the open seas! :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
3,412 posts
4,583 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

First of all

075.jpg

 

Generally speaking yeah, what the others have said. Or in the words of Sun Tzu:

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

 

Also get some friends or join an active clan asap. The ability of the average player is abysmal, so solo experiences can be extremely.... lets say tedious unless you relish in such challenges.

The game is a lot more fun when playing with others anyway.

Honestly, the main thing I think friends could provide, apart from divisions, is feedback on gameplay and clans with more experienced players can teach new people a good few things they might not now. So, apart from fun, it's also recommended for practical reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3 posts
121 battles
17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Play things other than BBs - if you only play BBs, you're more likely to get surprised by some of the nasty things the other classes can do to you, not to mention maybe having less realistic expectations of your allies.

BBs are the most popular class for a number of reasons, but you'll end up a better player if you spend at least some time in cruisers and DDs.

Yep.

 

Surprisingly enough, after yesterday night I already jumped to that conclusion. I added a CA and a DD to my collection.

 

No interest in CVs and the current rework it's all over the news too. :)

 

Thanks everyone. :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
3 minutes ago, WindSplitter1 said:

Yep.

 

Surprisingly enough, after yesterday night I already jumped to that conclusion. I added a CA and a DD to my collection.

 

No interest in CVs and the current rework it's all over the news too. :)

 

Thanks everyone. :)

As for counterplaying CVs, current system and rework should offer the same basic principles of strike deterrence and damage migitation:

Be close to friendly ships with lots of AA (or alternatively, be the ship with lots of AA).

Torpedo bombers want to drop you from the side, so turn into to minimize your target profile and possibly even close into the minimum arming distance if the CV dropped too close.

Dive bombers want to drop you from bow to stern, so turn away from them to give it the minimum amount of ship within the drop ellipse.

 

Also, don't wait until the drop to start turning, you want to make yourself an as uncooperative target as possible the moment you see attack aircraft (obviously not at the expense of exposing yourself to all the other enemy ships, hence why it's best to be close to lots of friendly AA where the CV is least likely to even try to drop anything).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIEGE]
Players
66 posts
5,054 battles
19 hours ago, WindSplitter1 said:

The toxicity and general poor game balance/design plaguing WoT are kinda depressive and after checking out WoWS stats, I must say it looks a much better environment.

I can't speak for the toxicity in WoT, as I am permanently chat banned, and to say otherwise would be hypocritical. The game balance and design of the current build of WoT is leading design practices for some features of this game. The reason that some people aren't enjoying WoT is because the game has changed and evolved since it first made itself available to some of us who've been along for the ride for a long time. We're either burnt out, or jaded after all these years of development, testing and screw ups. WoWS can act as a nice refuge for you if you're looking to get away from the monotony of tanking.

 

15 hours ago, Aotearas said:
  • Play every ship class to some degree ... so you get a feel of each class' gameplay quirks.

I full heartedly agree with this. A rudimentary understanding of how each class plays, and understanding of how to fight effectively can lead to a better experience for yourself and the teams you play with. I would not however, dissuade you from playing CVs. The reason is; they're part of the current build and will still be used as the framework for any balance changes going foward. Understanding the complexities of managing several squads, organising strafes, drops and avoiding hazardous AA fire all the while, will give you an insight into how difficult (or easy) it is to play the class. If you can understand what makes it easy to play, you can more readily make it difficult when you're playing against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
3,412 posts
4,583 battles
6 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

As for counterplaying CVs, current system and rework should offer the same basic principles of strike deterrence and damage migitation:

Be close to friendly ships with lots of AA (or alternatively, be the ship with lots of AA).

Torpedo bombers want to drop you from the side, so turn into to minimize your target profile and possibly even close into the minimum arming distance if the CV dropped too close.

Dive bombers want to drop you from bow to stern, so turn away from them to give it the minimum amount of ship within the drop ellipse.

 

Also, don't wait until the drop to start turning, you want to make yourself an as uncooperative target as possible the moment you see attack aircraft (obviously not at the expense of exposing yourself to all the other enemy ships, hence why it's best to be close to lots of friendly AA where the CV is least likely to even try to drop anything).

Just to add to that, use ctrl to free up the mouse cursor and click on the planes you want to see die first (if they are within AA range, which can be viewed in ship stats in port by hovering over the AA guns or by pressing H in battle), as it gives a 30% boost to your AA against that squad (more if you have Manual Fire Control for AA).

 

As for turning, it really depends on ship and AA rating, imo. Low tiers, at T4 and T5, CVs can only autodrop, so they are very predictable and turning into the drop as soon as you see it is likely going to end up in a dodge. At higher tiers, where carriers can manually adjust the drop, it gets nasty though and they can just wreck you if they get a proper drop off. Here, you really need the AA support if you don't have enough AA on your own, as no amount of turning will save you if the enemy CV is skilled.

 

IJN BBs which you are going for have notoriously bad AA (with one exception in the premium BB Kii). IJN AA (like RL) is mostly one type of long range gun (typically Type 89 12.7 cm guns with 5 km base range) and a load of crappy small caliber AA (the notorious Type 95 25 mm AA mount, which ingame has about as crap damage output as IRL. It has a nice 3.1 km base range though, so on AA builds, IJN short range kicks in before USN 20 mm Oerlikons with their 2 km or so base range). This will mostly just be effective against CVs that are of tiers lower than your BB and stupid enough to spend unnecessary time within your AA bubble unless you really go all out on AA skills (which is typically not recommended).

 

Against less skilled CVs and if your AA is up for it though, you can turn into planes when they drop, but if you see them coming from a good few km away, you could also try move away from the planes. I personally find this a decent approach either in low tiers, where the planes are slow and ships like Kongou can stall a drop from a T4 or T5 CV for quite a bit, turning in when the planes actually arrive, but also in ships like aforementioned Kii or in Gneisenau, where the AA is pretty solid, the ship is fast and the extra time they need to line up a drop depletes the squad due to the heavy AA. Also, as CVs often go for a cross-drop, if it cannot be avoided, focus fire on one squad, turn into the other and hope the AA deplestes the squad you focused on. This allows you to ideally dodge the full squad, while only getting hit by what was left over of the other.

 

Lastly, against T4, T5 CVs and CVs of minimal skill above T5 (those where you notice they do not practice accurate manual drop), something like smoke will save you, as autodrop requires locking onto a target. Manual drop does not. If you are in a battle against a CV T6+ and they show that they have an actual clue of what they are doing, don't rely on smoke to save you, because the CV will just drop a spread across the smoke and kill you in it, if not worse (it's even possible at times to manually drop a DD in smoke with dive bombers, if you know where the DD is, based on for example gun tracer. I got kills with that and I'm by far no stellar CV player).

 

In general, it is not a good idea to sit in smoke, as everything with torpedoes usually starts torping into smokes if they see a smoke cloud. If you need to sit in smoke, be aware that there might be torps and try to position yourself inside the smoke in a way that makes you best positioned to dodge torps from the direction you expect them most from. Also, don't sit still in smokes. People can be quite good at shooting things in smoke. As you want to go up the IJN BB line, you will sooner or later find that you yourself will need to practice using the spotter plane with its weird view, but it really helps kill things that you cannot see and really, as with CVs, good players do not necessarily need to see your ship to kill you, if they just have a very good idea of where you are (based on smoke cloud or gun tracer).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
5 minutes ago, RegularLogic said:

I would not however, dissuade you from playing CVs. The reason is; they're part of the current build and will still be used as the framework for any balance changes going foward. Understanding the complexities of managing several squads, organising strafes, drops and avoiding hazardous AA fire all the while, will give you an insight into how difficult (or easy) it is to play the class. If you can understand what makes it easy to play, you can more readily make it difficult when you're playing against it.

That's not exactly required to play against CVs though. Whereas other classes share the same real estate and counterplaying them comes down to understanding their positioning and target priorization, counterplaying CVs is pretty much just limited to their aircraft presence. And I've touched upon the basics of countering those in my above comment.

It's not like knowing how to strafe or manage multiple squadrons is going to make you a better battleship/cruiser/destroyer player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIEGE]
Players
66 posts
5,054 battles
On 11/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, Aotearas said:

It's not like knowing how to strafe or manage multiple squadrons is going to make you a better battleship/cruiser/destroyer player.

I don't entirely disagree with this, however; knowing first hand how planes are used and how they can be used most effectively is important. For instance, knowing about the 11km spotting "Feature", or the way in which planes interact with terrain features in terms of spotting/dropping are things which you'll only discover with gameplay experience. Taking the lessons you've learned across the board of classes will make you a more complete player, and dissuade you from making the same mistakes which the majority of players of WoT make when they get out-maneuvered/out-played by a mechanic which they don't understand (bush mechanics, arty, etc.)
CV play is difficult at high tiers, and while not as antagonistic as the artillery in WoT, having a little first hand experience on the complexities of the class can alieviate some of the frustration involved when you're on the recieving end of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
7,154 posts
9,305 battles
32 minutes ago, RegularLogic said:

I don't entirely disagree with this, however; knowing first hand how planes are used and how they can be used most effectively is important. For instance, knowing about the 11km spotting "Feature", or the way in which planes interact with terrain features in terms of spotting/dropping are things which you'll only discover with gameplay experience. Taking the lessons you've learned across the board of classes will make you a more complete player, and dissuade you from making the same mistakes which the majority of players of WoT make when they get out-maneuvered/out-played by a mechanic which they don't understand (bush mechanics, arty, etc.)
CV play is difficult at high tiers, and while not as antagonistic as the artillery in WoT, having a little first hand experience on the complexities of the class can alieviate some of the frustration involved when you're on the recieving end of it.

And you're not wrong of course, the problem however is that CVs are a high effort investment since you at the very least must play up to and including tier VI to get a representative learning experience (due to WG removing manual attacks from tier IV and V).

Other ship classes can be dipped into comparatively casual up to tier V and get a pretty solid feel on how and where they like to play to extrapolate as gameplay experience to other classes.

 

In that regard I generally recommend to just play the mainstay classes (battleships, cruisers and destroyers) and gather advice on how to play with/against CVs from the plethora of Youtube guides/commentaries.

Only if a player really wants to refine their experience on a practical level were raw informations no longer suffice and/or play CVs themselves in earnest is when I recommend playing them. And considering the CV rework is coming, for better or worse, there's always the question on how deep a player wants to involve himself/herself into the rabbit hole when the gameplay is in all likelyhood going to change radically soon™.

 

That at least is my 0.02 doubloons on the matter and by no means am I an authority to take at the literal word of course.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
20 posts
1,322 battles
Le ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 à 19:12, WindSplitter1 a dit :

The toxicity and general poor game balance/design plaguing WoT are kinda depressive and after checking out WoWS stats, I must say it looks a much better environment.

 

With that said, being the target the Yamato, I'd like to know what insight you have for someone who will venture themselves in Battleships.

 

 

I made the same error starting the game with Battleships (not long ago). They move, turn and reload very slow, so you will waste precious gameplay time (I don't have time, personally) without learning or doing much.

You'll also get some salty remarks if you happen to be on the wrong side of the map when things go nasty, but you're too slow to correct that.

 

You should play cruisers first, their polyvalence and fast moving/turning/reload will rapidly teach you the basics: aiming guns and torpédos and avoiding deadly broadside shots and torpedos.

Their speed allows you to switch sides or save the base (and the game), you rarely have this chance in a slow BB.

 

Choose wisely your cruiser line (nationality): seems to me that the hardest thing to do is training a skilled captain. Captain skill points are hard to get and captains are nation-specific, you can't use them on other's nation's cruisers.

 

Toxicity comes from others' expectations from you: your team mates expect a lot from carriers, battleships, destroyers, cruisers (in that order, IMHO); in a cruiser you can go wrong, but chances are that no one will notice :Smile_trollface:

The cruisers don't excell in armor, nor firepower , range or stealth (they are just a compromise), so others will expect less from you 

 

And most of all: they are fun and there's always something to do in a cruiser (detecting and killing DDs, harassing or stealth-torping BBs, AA defense, CV hunt, running for base defense/capture), you'll never get bored !

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×